Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

Chokes McGee posted:

I can sympathize with the abilify. any atypical makes me lose my poo poo, as do SNRIs. its really frustrating because I have bipolar, so I have to set up this ridiculous fetch quest of sertraline, Deplin, and trazedone to cancel each others side effects out so I can function.

Has your SO tried an SSRI yet? Pristiq is an SNRI and Abilify is an atypical antipsychotics if I remember right. It might not be a bad idea for him to ask about an SSRI/deplin combo. if the pdoc okays it, it might help.

He's tried many, many antidepressants. The only ones he hasn't tried are really new ones like Trintellix. He's reluctant to change his meds around and I can understand that. But he also can't continue to suffer. Hopefully his doctor will call with the test results this week to see what's going on. He has a few physical issues connected to the depression/anxiety at least tangentially which is why I think it's also a hormonal issue contributing to this.

I take Abilify myself, it's the antidepressants that I can't handle at all, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebop esq
Apr 17, 2006

hi boys

turn off the TV posted:

One thing that I wish people would tell me is any variation of "it's fine if you're depressed/anxious and it doesn't change what I think/feel about you," because getting told "you/we have to do something to get better" or "I hope that you'll start feeling better" enough times started making me just avoid talking to people about my issues and feel pretty guilty for letting them down. I skipped out on mother's day and avoid talking to my family because I feel like a failure for being sick.

Yeah definitely. I do tell him that I wish he felt better. I truly do wish he wasn't suffering. But I let him know that I understand it because I truly do, and that how he feels is valid, if that makes sense.

I'm sorry you're feeling awful too. You're not a failure and I'm sorry you are feeling guilty because of an illness.

bebop esq has issued a correction as of 02:23 on May 15, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pre-op bebop posted:

He's tried many, many antidepressants. The only ones he hasn't tried are really new ones like Trintellix. He's reluctant to change his meds around and I can understand that. But he also can't continue to suffer. Hopefully his doctor will call with the test results this week to see what's going on. He has a few physical issues connected to the depression/anxiety at least tangentially which is why I think it's also a hormonal issue contributing to this.

I take Abilify myself, it's the antidepressants that I can't handle at all, lol.

Deplin. It's really worth looking into, the worst thing that'll happen is nothing. Since it's a "medical food" (whatever in the gently caress that means) it's basically a supplement.

If you can't afford Deplin proper you can buy L-Methylfolate as a supplement, Deplin has a few things to give it more oomph but they're just about the same. Obviously he should talk to his doctor first, but in my experience, fixing your folic acid uptake and vitamin D levels can do so, so much to combat resistant depression.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The odds of me making it to the San Diego perfectionism class has dropped from 95% to 0%. This is disappointing, but I've reached out to a group in LA that offered comparable training in the past and a therapist in LA who offers something similar a few times a year.

So I don't know what the something else for the Daring Way is going to be or exactly when, but I still plan on doing something else for it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think im gonna see a dr about this stupid poo poo where i am reflexively saying things like "i wish i was dead" or "kill me now" 50 times a day to make intrusive thoughts go away.

i should be able to grab an old container to put leftovers in from the cabinet without having to relive stupid meaningless moments like the time i couldnt find the top to one of the containers for my wifes cousin and she got impatient.
gently caress my wifes cousin its stupid as gently caress that its a year later and im begging some god to kill me over something so dumb and every other basic routine moment of my day is attached to some equally stupid memory that i can help obsessing over.

i hope this post is ok it more for me to be able to read my own feelings back and work up the impetus to do something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

i think im gonna see a dr about this stupid poo poo where i am reflexively saying things like "i wish i was dead" or "kill me now" 50 times a day to make intrusive thoughts go away.

i should be able to grab an old container to put leftovers in from the cabinet without having to relive stupid meaningless moments like the time i couldnt find the top to one of the containers for my wifes cousin and she got impatient.
gently caress my wifes cousin its stupid as gently caress that its a year later and im begging some god to kill me over something so dumb and every other basic routine moment of my day is attached to some equally stupid memory that i can help obsessing over.

i hope this post is ok it more for me to be able to read my own feelings back and work up the impetus to do something.
I have people in my family with OCD and intrusive thoughts, and it's a long slow process to treat it but I promise it does have a reward.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

therapy only or meds too?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Real hurthling! posted:

therapy only or meds too?

It depends on the person but in general both at once are good.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
man, twitter is pretty bleak lately, what with centrist boy biden gaining steam and the awful anti-abortion bills, maybe i should take a break from it.

*keeps reading twitter*

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Equeen posted:

man, twitter is pretty bleak lately, what with centrist boy biden gaining steam and the awful anti-abortion bills, maybe i should take a break from it.

*keeps reading twitter*

My girlfriend has basically begged me to get rid of social media and just stay off the internet but it'll never happen, born2post.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

My girlfriend has basically begged me to get rid of social media and just stay off the internet but it'll never happen, born2post.

who keeps scraeming at me to log off in my house

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Mordor She Wrote posted:

sometimes i think about ceasing posting on all non sa website because they're so bad. i told a nazi on reddit to gently caress off and die and got a sitewide suspension for "violent content". same thing happened on twitter once, too. all the other major places on the internet are infested with no-poo poo actual hitler idolizing nazis, chuds, libertarians, misogynistic freaks, or succdems and it's very dispiriting to participate in them but for whatever reason i can't stop myself from getting in endless vituperative arguments.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so... busy week, and not even through it.

got fired from my job as TA in special education (because of an ongoing feud i have with a TNDP executive committee member/mayor/shitheaded cousin), realized I literally had nothing else keeping me here (because the kid I worked with had such a hard time getting stressed out all the time because TAs kept quitting), then began searching for jobs elsewhere while also severing ties in such a way that some would characteristically call 'a meltdown.' i also figured it was high time i came out as as bisexual.

spent close to thirty years trying to fit in* to this community, only to be treated like a stray dog by my peers. my peers can now officially suck my dick because i'm loving done.

*when your dad lifts up up by your shirt and tells you to shut the gently caress up in the angriest way you'd ever seen him because he was the one who decided to move here, you'd be surprised how much effort you put into trying. but then again, i'm his human being son so who gives a gently caress, right?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Frog Act posted:

sometimes i think about ceasing posting on all non sa website because they're so bad. i told a nazi on reddit to gently caress off and die and got a sitewide suspension for "violent content". same thing happened on twitter once, too. all the other major places on the internet are infested with no-poo poo actual hitler idolizing nazis, chuds, libertarians, misogynistic freaks, or succdems and it's very dispiriting to participate in them but for whatever reason i can't stop myself from getting in endless vituperative arguments.

I hear you, I've had to make so many new twitter accounts, I've run out of old gmails and google numbers so if this newest one gets banned (which it probably will because some Qanon guys are mass reporting all my tweets) I'll have to get a new phone number. But I feel absolutely compelled to argue with chuds, it never ends, I wake up in the middle of night to check twitter/facebook/youtube just to get mad. Pretty much my life is, wake up, get mad on the internet, go to work, get made on the internet while at work, go home, get mad at the internet, go to bed and get mad at the internet. I'm pretty sure its actively breaking my mind and I'm becoming a leftist version of the Fox News Grandpa, but I also don't feel like I can stop, it's weird.

edit: I'm starting to think I have impulse issues.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

so... busy week, and not even through it.

got fired from my job as TA in special education (because of an ongoing feud i have with a TNDP executive committee member/mayor/shitheaded cousin), realized I literally had nothing else keeping me here (because the kid I worked with had such a hard time getting stressed out all the time because TAs kept quitting), then began searching for jobs elsewhere while also severing ties in such a way that some would characteristically call 'a meltdown.' i also figured it was high time i came out as as bisexual.

spent close to thirty years trying to fit in* to this community, only to be treated like a stray dog by my peers. my peers can now officially suck my dick because i'm loving done.

*when your dad lifts up up by your shirt and tells you to shut the gently caress up in the angriest way you'd ever seen him because he was the one who decided to move here, you'd be surprised how much effort you put into trying. but then again, i'm his human being son so who gives a gently caress, right?

fwiw its incredibly brave to come out and I respect you for it. it doesnt do much to help with the rest of the bullshit, but I thought I should at least say it.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chokes McGee posted:

fwiw its incredibly brave to come out and I respect you for it. it doesnt do much to help with the rest of the bullshit, but I thought I should at least say it.

thanks. but a dude like me claiming a particular sexual identity is a lot like a dude saying he's a pilot because he watched a bunch of airplane videos on youtube.

EDIT: it's hard to break old habits because of course i have to make a joke about it.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 18:35 on May 15, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

thanks. but a dude like me claiming a particular sexual identity is a lot like a dude saying he's a pilot because he watched a bunch of airplane videos on youtube.

EDIT: it's hard to break old habits because of course i have to make a joke about it.

unironically be your best self if you can, many people wont

anyway, idk if anyone remembers but ive made a few white noise posts here and there in this thread about how lovely my life has become since i got my MA, been unemployed a year and a half, on suboxone, all my friends slowly stopped talking to me, etc etc. the big problem is that i don't have a job and so my life is just at a standstill thats left me living in my parents attic smoking a ton of weed and making aggressive posts on the internet about politics, i'm miserable and would love to go back to dating and socializing and improving my life but its all so hard with no job at all.

i made a post a couple weeks ago about my third in person interview in this whole year of bullshit mentioning i thought it had gone well. well, its been two weeks since, and i had given up hope but i got an email from them today saying "We would like to move forward with the hiring process by contacting your references", so i think i might have gotten it. i still don't really believe it so i'm assuming something will go awry with the process or that i'm misreading their language and that contacting references is just a thing they're doing for all the candidates, but my parents said that is unlikely

feeling a little hopeful for once atm

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frog Act posted:

unironically be your best self if you can, many people wont

anyway, idk if anyone remembers but ive made a few white noise posts here and there in this thread about how lovely my life has become since i got my MA, been unemployed a year and a half, on suboxone, all my friends slowly stopped talking to me, etc etc. the big problem is that i don't have a job and so my life is just at a standstill thats left me living in my parents attic smoking a ton of weed and making aggressive posts on the internet about politics, i'm miserable and would love to go back to dating and socializing and improving my life but its all so hard with no job at all.

i made a post a couple weeks ago about my third in person interview in this whole year of bullshit mentioning i thought it had gone well. well, its been two weeks since, and i had given up hope but i got an email from them today saying "We would like to move forward with the hiring process by contacting your references", so i think i might have gotten it. i still don't really believe it so i'm assuming something will go awry with the process or that i'm misreading their language and that contacting references is just a thing they're doing for all the candidates, but my parents said that is unlikely

feeling a little hopeful for once atm
Read this immediately: https://www.thecut.com/article/job-interview-havent-heard-back.html

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I am worried about how reasonable it's feeling to commit suicide if trump wins again

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Grondoth posted:

I am worried about how reasonable it's feeling to commit suicide if trump wins again
It's not. You know rationally that it isn't reasonable, but suicidal ideation is a hell of a thing. Remove potential methods of self-harm or take yourself away from them, tell someone trusted and if you can't talk to a help line or a professional, spend time in public if possible, and remember that suicidal urges pass sooner than you think. You can also call a psych or a help line or some mental health resource now, since you've taken the important step of identifying your ideation, and they can help you set up a crisis plan and some coping exercises, and assist you in stopping this from reaching a dangerous point. You aren't alone and there are rational steps you can take to make yourself safer.

You can get through it but don't rationalize your thoughts. It's easy to do and just remember that it's never rational or reasonable, and there is no logical or ethical argument for it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Depression has gotten extremely bad lately sapping me of my motivation after it turned out I can't get an internship for the summer because not only is my GPA (2.875) too low for most but I have no experience in my field yet (my resume is almost all political stuff). Everyone i talk to either says I shouldn't care or that I'm completely hosed because i waited until i was 23 to get serious about my field outside of politics.

has left me feeling p hopeless, because the things holding me back the most are the choice I made in the past i can't undo, and iv got no idea how to get out of this pit/catch 22. i get at least B's in all my engineering classes, but my GPA will always be poo poo from me loving up my freshman year

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grondoth posted:

Right there with you. If 2020 goes south my next stop will be another mental health facility for my own good and safety.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Venom Snake posted:

Depression has gotten extremely bad lately sapping me of my motivation after it turned out I can't get an internship for the summer because not only is my GPA (2.875) too low for most but I have no experience in my field yet (my resume is almost all political stuff). Everyone i talk to either says I shouldn't care or that I'm completely hosed because i waited until i was 23 to get serious about my field outside of politics.

has left me feeling p hopeless, because the things holding me back the most are the choice I made in the past i can't undo, and iv got no idea how to get out of this pit/catch 22. i get at least B's in all my engineering classes, but my GPA will always be poo poo from me loving up my freshman year

i also did something similar to this, and i also got absurdly lucky, but maybe try talking to all the professors you had (and maybe those you haven't) and see if maybe they have research over the summer? i managed to get a job just fiddling with side projects grad students didn't want to do. like i said this was lucky as hell and it pays like poo poo but it's worth a shot at least

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Chokes McGee posted:

Right there with you. If 2020 goes south my next stop will be another mental health facility for my own good and safety.

Lucky. I've been battling increasingly intense suicidal idealation since 2016 after finally shaking it a few years before. But because LA is all kinds of screwed up with ten thousand different kinds of insurance, going to therapy isn't even an option because it turns out I need to regularly take a day off work in order to even go- after dumping 3-4 therapists because they stopped offering weekend hours, I've given up looking and just use BetterHelp. Its pretty poo poo to be honest, but at least its someone to talk to who doesn't explode at you for mentioning politics. Its probably a bad thing for me to consider applying for a firearm license, but considering the state of things its at least some form of comfort instead of hoping and doing nothing. I do keep trying to look ahead and not fall back into the pit- but I feel like I'm nearing my breaking point (new gig that requires 1.5 hours of driving in heavy traffic either way doesn't help). I'm just so tired.

Okan170 has issued a correction as of 04:25 on May 16, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Okan170 posted:

Lucky. I've been battling increasingly intense suicidal idealation since 2016 after finally shaking it a few years before. But because LA is all kinds of screwed up with ten thousand different kinds of insurance, going to therapy isn't even an option because it turns out I need to regularly take a day off work in order to even go- after dumping 3-4 therapists because they stopped offering weekend hours, I've given up looking and just use BetterHelp. Its pretty poo poo to be honest, but at least its someone to talk to who doesn't explode at you for mentioning politics. Its probably a bad thing for me to consider applying for a firearm license, but considering the state of things its at least some form of comfort instead of hoping and doing nothing. I do keep trying to look ahead and not fall back into the pit- but I feel like I'm nearing my breaking point (new gig that requires 1.5 hours of driving in heavy traffic either way doesn't help). I'm just so tired.

I really really REALLY recommend against combining a gun with increasing suicidal intentions. its probably the last thing in the world anyone who suffers from long term depression needs, because it makes successful suicide attempts go right through the roof. If I had access to that instead of a hoodie and ineptitude I wouldnt be posting this right now.

Also just a 40 minute commute both ways broke me, that sounds really gross. is there a job you can get thats closer, or (if youre a computer toucher) work remotely? Spending three hours of your life every day looking at a bumper is no good.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
welp day 1 of zoloft gave me the fun side effects, only got 1 hour of sleep and have pooped 6 times today. i hope this gets better soon

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

welp day 1 of zoloft gave me the fun side effects, only got 1 hour of sleep and have pooped 6 times today. i hope this gets better soon

thats a dece ratio

what mg are you on? 25/50 is a pretty slow roll but going straight to 100 for the first time is cold water

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i think 25, they wanted me to break the pill in half for the first week. i'm thinking i'll keep breaking it in half for 2

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

got any sevens posted:

yeah I poo poo my brains out for about a week and a half and oscillated between wired and exhausted. I'm just about to hit a month on 50 mg and feel pretty normal now though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

i think 25, they wanted me to break the pill in half for the first week. i'm thinking i'll keep breaking it in half for 2

Just make sure you let your doctor know. Hope it all wears in and settles down.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
these side effects so far are very similar to when i quit melatonin cold turkey after 4 months, i also barely slept for a few days after that and poo poo myself empty
coincidence?

also im tempted to take melatonin tonight to help sleep

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 09:50 on May 16, 2019

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I tried to kill myself a couple years ago when I got offered a job for 20$ an hour at a call center and had to going to college, I really loved school but I was putting myself in debt for linguistics so lol, either way like 3 months into the job I tried chugging a bottle nyquil but my depression got so bad I started binge eating and gained nearly a hundred lbs so I don't think I drank enough to kill myself, either way I spent like 8 hours rolling around in my parent's basement in pain and seeing swooping shadows coming at me and I still don't think my brain has entirely recovered because every now and then I just see shadows jumping at me from the corner of my eye.

But yeah if Bernie doesn't win the primary, the literal world have zero chance of survival so that'll be when I just give up entirely, gooooo Bernie. (that and my work life insurance policy will be past the suicide clause so that my normal brained girlfriend can get 40k to play around with after I kick the bucket)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I tried to kill myself a couple years ago when I got offered a job for 20$ an hour at a call center and had to going to college, I really loved school but I was putting myself in debt for linguistics so lol, either way like 3 months into the job I tried chugging a bottle nyquil but my depression got so bad I started binge eating and gained nearly a hundred lbs so I don't think I drank enough to kill myself, either way I spent like 8 hours rolling around in my parent's basement in pain and seeing swooping shadows coming at me and I still don't think my brain has entirely recovered because every now and then I just see shadows jumping at me from the corner of my eye.

I still have issues after my breakdown that I didn't before, like dissociating and exhaustion. Trauma loving sucks.

On that note, please please please see a therapist. I assure you your girlfriend does not give one single solitary poo poo about the money and would rather have you around.* Life may be painful, and there's awful things going on in the world, but it's not worth the pain. You'd think it'd be release, but trust me, it's not. It leaves behind a swath of pain, and your last moments won't be peace but intense grief.

* and if she doesn't sever immediately

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Chokes McGee posted:

I still have issues after my breakdown that I didn't before, like dissociating and exhaustion. Trauma loving sucks.

On that note, please please please see a therapist. I assure you your girlfriend does not give one single solitary poo poo about the money and would rather have you around.* Life may be painful, and there's awful things going on in the world, but it's not worth the pain. You'd think it'd be release, but trust me, it's not. It leaves behind a swath of pain, and your last moments won't be peace but intense grief.

* and if she doesn't sever immediately

I think my brains too broke for a therapist because the second I go into see one I just instantly start like uhhh.. thinking of them as the enemy if that makes sense. Like they are there to destroy my personality. Which intellectually I know they're not but that's like my gut reaction. Also during my last suicide attempt it got really intense of like thinking about "what if the pain I'm feeling now just lasts for eternity when I die" and other weird questions that have been bothering me since (not a religious person at all but like I dunno how brain perception works so like if I die in pain is that what I'm just going to like "Experience" into the void or something) so the weird irrational fear that caused has put me off active attempts for the time being.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think my brains too broke for a therapist because the second I go into see one I just instantly start like uhhh.. thinking of them as the enemy if that makes sense. Like they are there to destroy my personality. Which intellectually I know they're not but that's like my gut reaction. Also during my last suicide attempt it got really intense of like thinking about "what if the pain I'm feeling now just lasts for eternity when I die" and other weird questions that have been bothering me since (not a religious person at all but like I dunno how brain perception works so like if I die in pain is that what I'm just going to like "Experience" into the void or something) so the weird irrational fear that caused has put me off active attempts for the time being.

I am not a doctor at all so ignore my hilariously terrible advice but given the hallucinations I'm concerned about schizophrenia

Even without that they really are there to help, tell them what's going on and they might be able to get you back on track :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 09:14 on May 21, 2019

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

How do people get delivery jobs for companies like FedEx? Urban driving is one of the few things I'm good at and I'm trying to find something better than loving uber. Do you just have to know someone? They never have public openings.

I had an old roommate that basically met a recruiter and got the job that way. I believe he was with fedex and they were almost treated like independent contractors (in the US) if I remember right.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Weird, I quit melatonin cold turkey after moving to a new country where it's prescription only and had no side effects besides having a harder time going to sleep like I did pre-melatonin. I was taking like 30mg a night too. Only tried cold turkey because everyone said there wouldn't be an issue.

Posting this at 1:50am lol

well i called the doc and they said stay on the meds, so im gonna just try cutting my pill into 12.5 quarters for a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

well i called the doc and they said stay on the meds, so im gonna just try cutting my pill into 12.5 quarters for a bit

This did the trick with me with my trazedone

Sometimes you're just ridiculously sensitive to some meds :shrug: