Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Once that dxgi or whatever is the feature that fixes those zigzaggy PS1 textures came out on the PC emulators, I can’t go back to playing PS1 games as they were. The PSX Classic is a cool technically functional paperweight now for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Target Cartwheel has a 30% off coupon for the Playstation Classic. If you order online at $39.99 for store pickup the final price comes to just under $30. Slightly less with a Red Card.

Meijer Mperks has a $10 off Atari Flashback Boom! with 50 Games. It's a bunch of random stuff with two crappy Sega Genesis controllers, but has an SD card reader that can be unlocked to play other games. Comes out to $20 before tax.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

At this rate, the PS Classic will be $10 by Black Friday and then I’ll get one.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If they dip below $5 I'll get one for the controller so I can use it with my PC.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People genuinely want non-Dualshock PS controllers?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Gotta have authenticity for Bushido Blade.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Dehry posted:

Target Cartwheel has a 30% off coupon for the Playstation Classic. If you order online at $39.99 for store pickup the final price comes to just under $30. Slightly less with a Red Card.

Meijer Mperks has a $10 off Atari Flashback Boom! with 50 Games. It's a bunch of random stuff with two crappy Sega Genesis controllers, but has an SD card reader that can be unlocked to play other games. Comes out to $20 before tax.

Still too much

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's the best controller for playing Robotron 2084 short of having a real twin stick setup (as in two actual microswitched joysticks).

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It's the best controller for playing Robotron 2084 short of having a real twin stick setup (as in two actual microswitched joysticks).

Two microswitches joysticks?

God some days weird poo poo makes you realize how old you are and death looms over the horizon!

If you played a Robotron machine with microswitch joysticks, you haven't really played Robotron yet.

The original are Wico leaf sticks with a rubber grommet (not a spring). The feeling is unique.

And I would say, based on your question, you'd probably be ok with a Playstation twin stick setup where the analog sticks are in the same position for each hand.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Lack of analog aside, they’re well constructed USB controllers made by Sony themselves. I’d say they’re worth ten bucks each, so if you consider the Classic console itself to be useless, I’d imagine people would snatch em up at $25. It’s crazy to think how close it’s gotten to that pathetically low figure already. I think $39 is where it bottomed out so far, and it may get firesaled even lower yet.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I think they're a bit stiff and still don't think they're full-sized like they claim to be. Sadly I don't think I have any of my original PSX controllers around to compare it to anymore.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
To be fair I’ve only used the controller for about 30 minutes of Tony Hawk 2 and random other junk just poking around.

At least at $40 I’m not going to lose any sleep over it one way or the other.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

XtraSmiley posted:

Two microswitches joysticks?

I know that leaf switches are the original scheme but Cherry switches almost doubled my scores and PSX controllers are the closest I've some to that without owning some kind of giant dork rig.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Laslow posted:

Lack of analog aside, they’re well constructed USB controllers made by Sony themselves. I’d say they’re worth ten bucks each, so if you consider the Classic console itself to be useless, I’d imagine people would snatch em up at $25. It’s crazy to think how close it’s gotten to that pathetically low figure already. I think $39 is where it bottomed out so far, and it may get firesaled even lower yet.

The Source just cleared them out for $20

And that's $20 cdn, so like twelve bucks usd

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Another 10 games were just announced for the Japanese Megadrive Mini:

Ghouls n Ghosts
Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition
Rockman Mega World (Megaman Wily Wars)
Golden Axe
The Super Shinobi (Revenge of Shinobi)
Phantasy Star 4
Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R (Japan-only minigame collection, kinda Warioware-ish)
Party Quiz Mega Q (Japan-only quiz game)
Yuyu Hakusho Makyou Touitsusen (licensed anime fighting game by Treasure, kinda like Guardian Heroes or Bleach DS)

Those last three games all originally supported the multi-tap for over 2 players, and so does Megadrive Mini via USB hub.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think I paid $25 for mine thanks to a Best Buy prime matching error. They gave me a $25 GC the first time when it dropped to $75. Then when I price matched again when it dropped to $50, they gave me $50 back on my credit card.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well poo poo. I just want the Japanese MD mini now.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I'm actually more interested in the Megadrive/Genesis mini now since it full of games that I actually never played being a Nintendo household.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Another 10 games were just announced for the Japanese Megadrive Mini:

Ghouls n Ghosts
Rockman Mega World (Megaman Wily Wars)
Golden Axe
The Super Shinobi (Revenge of Shinobi)
Phantasy Star 4
Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis)
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R (Japan-only minigame collection, kinda Warioware-ish)
Party Quiz Mega Q (Japan-only quiz game)
Yuyu Hakusho Makyou Touitsusen (licensed anime fighting game by Treasure, kinda like Guardian Heroes or Bleach DS)

Those last three games all originally supported the multi-tap for over 2 players, and so does Megadrive Mini via USB hub.

...and the US/EU equivalent

Beyond Oasis
Ghouls n Ghosts
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Golden Axe
Phantasy Star 4
Mega Man The Wily Wars
Sonic Spinball
Vectorman
Wonder Boy in Monster World

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/status/1129008854484881408

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Very good list of games so far, I have a soft spot for Sonic Spinball even though it sucks because I had it as a kid

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Street Fighter II being on the list makes the choice of the three-button pad over the six a real head-scratcher. Wily Wars is a nice surprise much like Super Fantasy Zone. And Ghouls 'n Ghosts is my favorite Genesis game so I'm glad that's being included. The entire list has been pretty good so far (I'd probably exchange Earthworm Jim for anything else)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's a good list except for Spinball, gently caress that game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Very good list of games so far, I have a soft spot for Sonic Spinball even though it sucks because I had it as a kid

Same here. I still have the music from the first level pop in my head from time to time.

Also, I see Beyond Oasis on a lot of these MD compilations, but not a lot of people talk about it. The game is fantastic and you all should do yourselves a favour and check it out if you haven't already. It's very LttP-like, with a splash of Aladdin, and the fighting is actually very satisfying.

Also, Crusader of Centy/Soleil should be on here :argh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

...and the US/EU equivalent

Beyond Oasis
Ghouls n Ghosts
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Golden Axe
Phantasy Star 4
Mega Man The Wily Wars
Sonic Spinball
Vectorman

Wait, they are putting SF2 on the US one, but still shipping with the 3 button controllers? Jesus wept.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The list is turning into the same list they put in everything, plus a couple new ones.

Also nice street fighter with a 3 button pad that’s real great.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're officially pushing Retrobit's controllers as the 6-button solution, I'm guessing they made a formal arrangement at some point:

https://twitter.com/RetroBitGaming/status/1129008854484881408

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The only English version of Wily Wars is PAL, and last time I tried to play that ROM the 50FPS slower gameplay drove me nuts.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Skwirl posted:

Wait, they are putting SF2 on the US one, but still shipping with the 3 button controllers? Jesus wept.

I like the three button ones for the games that don't support it and I'm sure 8bitdo will crank out a six button for it I will pick up as well.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

The only English version of Wily Wars is PAL, and last time I tried to play that ROM the 50FPS slower gameplay drove me nuts.
There was an NTSC version exclusive to Sega Channel if I’m not mistaken.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

8bitdo what nintendont

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Laslow posted:

There was an NTSC version exclusive to Sega Channel if I’m not mistaken.

Looks like you're right. That must mean that as soon as the little box is hacked open the internet will finally have a 60Hz Wily Wars ROM in English.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Asian Megadrive Mini also announced 10 more games: http://asia.sega.com/mdmini/cht/titlelist.html

Alien Soldier
Beyond Oasis
Ghouls n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Mega Man Wily Wars
Phantasy Star 4
Puyo Puyo
Puzzle & Action Tant-R
Revenge of Shinobi

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Same here. I still have the music from the first level pop in my head from time to time.

Also, I see Beyond Oasis on a lot of these MD compilations, but not a lot of people talk about it. The game is fantastic and you all should do yourselves a favour and check it out if you haven't already. It's very LttP-like, with a splash of Aladdin, and the fighting is actually very satisfying.

Also, Crusader of Centy/Soleil should be on here :argh:

yeah Beyond Oasis is pretty good and I've never really seen it get the love it should

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I could never get far in Beyond, but I definitely overleveled in Legend and was mocked for it in the endgame stats screen.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

Looks like you're right. That must mean that as soon as the little box is hacked open the internet will finally have a 60Hz Wily Wars ROM in English.

In the mean time, you can run the PAL version on an NTSC console/emulator if you use a Game Genie code to bypass the region check. It wasn't optimized for PAL at all, so it'll run at proper speed like the Japanese version.

Edit: Watch them pull a Sony and have it just be the PAL version running at 50 Hz.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 17, 2019

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They said on the announcement stream that they're doing something to reduce slowdown by overclocking the emulator or whatever, so I don't expect them to force 50hz on anyone.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The options menu music is my favorite earworm from that game. Any time I think of the Genesis I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWSijvWxFI

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The options menu music is my favorite earworm from that game. Any time I think of the Genesis I hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWSijvWxFI

Y'know, I grew up with a Genesis, so I have a certain love for the FM synth. I'll defend it until I'm blue in the face, but this music/the sound design here is just not good.

That chip could do so much right, and it can also do very, very terrible things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The guy behind Spinball's music really loves that particular guitar sound, he also did Comix Zone and that game's music is almost entirely ugly FM guitar.

The tunes themselves are fine, most of Spinball doesn't sound like that. He also contributed to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but he didn't implement the tunes into the game and apparently doesn't even remember which ones he wrote.