Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Nebakenezzer posted:

the modelling news has been posting pictures from the 58th Shizuoka Hobby Show

part 1
part 2

I feel like seaplanes are underrepresented in the scale model community.

Edit: also there’s a ton more Naussica than I thought there would be.

Edit edit: added quote because new page.

beep-beep car is go fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Has anyone successfully used Micro Mask? I'm trying to apply it roughly, then use a scalpel to cut it into shape and peel off the extra. It seems to be incredibly tough to cut and very brittle, not peeling off in large sheets but breaking off. Do I have to thin it? I googled around and people don't seem to have much luck with it in general.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Has anyone successfully used Micro Mask? I'm trying to apply it roughly, then use a scalpel to cut it into shape and peel off the extra. It seems to be incredibly tough to cut and very brittle, not peeling off in large sheets but breaking off. Do I have to thin it? I googled around and people don't seem to have much luck with it in general.

People generally dont have any luck with cutting liquid mask. I have Mr Masking Sol R (the bottle instructions show it as being cuttable) and have never been able to get a clean cut, even when using a fresh scalpel.

What are you trying to mask? Maybe adhesive foil would work better?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I assume if you're cutting it that you want straight edges. So why not just use masking tape?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm trying to mask the warp nacelle of an Enterprise, which has some curvy lines that masking tape didn't play nice with.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I can't speak for the cut ability of masking fluids, but I have used both Micromask and Humbrol Maskol and prefer the Humbrol because it is more opaque so you can better see what you are masking. Doing canopies with Micromask was frustrating because it is almost transparent unless you gob it on.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm trying to mask the warp nacelle of an Enterprise, which has some curvy lines that masking tape didn't play nice with.

If you go to an autobody supply shop, you can get vinyl masking tape that will curve around corners. Not the best if your masking line is all over the place, but the best for uniform curves.

You can use the flexible masking tape to define the curve, and then use standard masking tape to rough in the rest of the area to be masked.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Depending on how curvy the curve is, you might be able to get away with cutting a very thin slice of tape from a normal tamiya roll. I've used the Aizu .7mm to mask curved areas around fuselages before.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there a tip for applying maskol? I literally ruined about three models using it - I just couldn't scrape the oval office off without it ripping into all the paint underneath.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I use vallejo liquid mask and just rub my finger over it firmly to roll it off via friction. :shrug:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nebakenezzer posted:

the modelling news has been posting pictures from the 58th Shizuoka Hobby Show

part 1
part 2

:allears:

There's so much cool poo poo in there. I love the variety.

Edit:

I'm kind of amazed this isn't already a show.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 16, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Boomer The Cannon posted:

One of our club members took an on-board camera around the layout the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM1iD3c1ymU

That's :radcat:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I've never seen anything like this (im a newb) - this is goddamn amazing!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I dunno WTF this is but it is amazing :stare:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
looks like a submerged oil refinery

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

There are several other things you can find through the modelling news that use techniques that I just don't know what the christ, including a bunch of dudes who modeled APC splashing through water, and one person who used witchcraft to have a conveyor belt of dynamic water for their battleship

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I've never seen anything like this (im a newb) - this is goddamn amazing!

Arquinsiel posted:

Here's a build of much smaller version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGmFOnSGjrA

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, it's an absolutely gorgeous build, like something from a Studio Ghibli film.

I've done stuff with fake water in a model train table. It's neat stuff, but I have no idea what goes into a pour this deep to keep it from bubbling, or the force of it flowing screwing up the model.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Those big splashes you can do two ways. The easiest way is to use clear plastic sheet, usually harvested from some random electronics packaging. You cut it into the general shape of the splash, form it with some gentle heat if need be, and then glue it into place. Then you use some modeling paste that dries clear, use that to paint on the ripples and splashes and undulations onto the plastic sheet to give it the liveliness of actual water. Use that to blend all the edges as well. If you want you can then glue on cotton swabbing to the edges of the splash, and cover that generously with the modeling paste, if you want a roiling, white-water plume at the edge of the splash. A subtle white dry brushing at the end as well, to pick out the ripples.

The other way is instead of using plastic sheet, you use a thick casting resin, poured thinly over a form. You end up with very nice resin sheets that look a bit better than the plastic, but take a lot more time and effort to pull off.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Bubbles might actually help the effect somewhat, but if you really want to avoid them then you use a vibration tray to keep them moving up.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
http://masakise.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-113.html

Some more pictures of that kind of thing. I know you could/can buy those little cityscapes but I have no idea if they're available at all any more. Tested did a video on it and it came out looking a little ehhh. Most of the stuff they do on Tested around scale modelling and miniatures is kinda bad imo.

https://hlj.com/geocraper

Aha found them, drat they're super cheap.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 16, 2019

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
What a terrible name for such a neat thing.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Anyone have tips on working with Createx transparent airbrush colors? I'm currently on my 3rd soak in Purple Power because I keep screwing up using their Transparent Forest Green to match GM Metallic Forest Green. My issue is getting a consistent color; no matter what I have done I wind up chasing light spots into dark and by the time I am finished it seems like I have gone too dark. Since my last go I have determined I'm probably waiting too short in between coats or not using enough heat, but I'm not certain so it has been discouraging to say the least. I am reading mixed reviews of Createx and did not enjoy using it in my last project, so I would entertain a different paint but I am yet to find a color that is as close to the GM OEM.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sultan Tarquin posted:

http://masakise.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-113.html

Some more pictures of that kind of thing. I know you could/can buy those little cityscapes but I have no idea if they're available at all any more. Tested did a video on it and it came out looking a little ehhh. Most of the stuff they do on Tested around scale modelling and miniatures is kinda bad imo.

https://hlj.com/geocraper

Aha found them, drat they're super cheap.

drat I want someone to make some sort of city building table top game out of these.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Like Monsterpocalypse?

Wait, no, that's the opposite of city building...

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

Is there a tip for applying maskol? I literally ruined about three models using it - I just couldn't scrape the oval office off without it ripping into all the paint underneath.

I've only used it for unpainted canopies, but maybe a gloss clearcoat before masking a painted surface might help.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Any tips forvapplying super glue so it doesn't make a mess or get on the paint

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Toothpicks. Or, use a liquid superglue and a loop applicator to wick it between parts to be joined.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just be careful not to stick the toothpick to something when you put it down.

Getting there. Going to wait a couple days for the wash to dry before I put the gun barrels in and try to salvage the pitot tube.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 18, 2019

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48326572?fbclid=IwAR1qs52yFqilfIucgw0CU_wj_ZzUoHtm9l73xcUbHi-zvMlQMWj-NxYEQjw

NSFL for train people

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:smith:

Man I know them feels well.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Wow donation page up to nearly £48000
A sad thing to happen, but I hope at the very least, one or more people lived out their kaiju fantasies

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
The punishment should be forcing those 4 kids to help rebuild until they begin to genuinely enjoy model railroading. The real punishment doesn't begin until they realize one day that they're arguing online about graffiti on model trains.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 20, 2019

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Quote is not edit

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Man, the crazy thing is (and not to disparage anyone who does armour modelling/etc.) but layouts of dozens of feet/etc. in the UK are literally decades worth of work - most will have insurance for this kind of thing, but you can't get back those thousands of hours.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, seems like the spokesperson's main concern is that nobody in the club will live long enough to repair the damage :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Paging Sir Rod Stewart to the club, your assistance is requested.

But yeah, it’s a useful reminder of why you never leave anything you really put a lot of work into unattended, dumb shitfuckers will break everything they can reach.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hopefully they have insurance and will get a buttload of cash from that and any crowdfunding campaigns. If they can pass the work on to younger generations, this could be something great.

Building a massive train set over years involves many hasty decisions and compromises to get everything to work together. Imagine getting a huge influx of cash at once, and time to really plan out the ultimate train layout before they've even laid down one foot of track. I hope these guys (and hopefully a few gals) can make one of the most amazing train sets in the world! Maybe even get a bunch of sponsorships from the major players in the business, to provide materials for the reconstruction. Noch, Heki, Woodland Scenics, Walthers, etc etc, it would be nothing but great advertising for them to be part of the reconstruction of this layout, and the goodwill to the train club would definitely pay dividends in the hobby world.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Midjack posted:

Paging Sir Rod Stewart to the club, your assistance is requested.

But yeah, it’s a useful reminder of why you never leave anything you really put a lot of work into unattended, dumb shitfuckers will break everything they can reach.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48332649

He donated £10,000

Their crowdfunding page hit £70,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Symetrique posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-48332649

He donated £10,000

Their crowdfunding page hit £70,000

Ahaha awesome.