Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Except or except :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

madeintaipei posted:

May I introduce you to Bur-min-ham, Alabama?

Funnily enough, it was hearing someone refer to that very city that made me think of it. They're saying their own town's name wrong. Smdh.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

zedprime posted:

Obligatory obtuse "what's the difference"

It's the difference between 'prose' and 'purse'.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TheMaskedUgly posted:

It's the difference between 'prose' and 'purse'.
Trap sprung if someone is getting incensed about your prescription prescription, proscription isn't exactly proper either.

Everyone's a mush mouth burn down the strict pronunciation establishment.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

zedprime posted:

Obligatory obtuse "what's the difference"

One means to write before, and the other means to write through.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Except or accept :can:

ftfy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I never perspire. I prespire

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Wish you'd expire lol.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
very hurtful

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was very rude; I aplogize.

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.

christmas boots posted:

Buncha linguistic preverts in this thread, that’s for sure

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It turns out that the debugging tool Valgrind is not called that because it grinds through all your values looking for mistakes. It's actually the name of the main gate of Valhalla, through which only the worthy may pass. And it's pronounced with a short "i", like in "hit".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wouldn't it be nice if spelling was consistent and phonemic so if you knew how to spell a word, you'd always know how to pronounce it, and if you knew how to pronounce a word, you'd always know how to spell it?

Well gently caress you lol we already have that :smugprööh:

e: Next pay-day, barring having been banned by then, I might invest in a :smugprööh:.

Savukkeensytyttimen is cigarette lighter.

Your language is twice as mad as ours.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
That's not correct, though.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I genuinely like the pronunciation talk. I’m not, however, shocked to find that I am good at spelling but have regional/rural pronunciations for at least some common words that I didn’t realize were technically incorrect or whatever. (“Febuary” at least.) It’s kinda to be expected. I grew up near He-LEE-na, Mo-EYE-ruh, and NOR-fork (Norfolk.)

I’m happy to look it up myself (and will because I’m curious) but I can’t discern a difference in how I pronounce any version of Mary/merry/marry and can’t even imagine what the difference would BE.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sniper Party posted:

That's not correct, though.

https://www.seslisozluk.net/en/what-is-the-meaning-of-savukkeensytyttimen/

I found a few sites that claimed it was. I don't pretend to know Finnish.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

The_White_Crane posted:

... but that's correct? What do you call it now?

It's not even remotely correct. Worcestershire is pronounced /ˈwʊstərʃər/, or if you don't read IPA I'd write it something like "wuss-ter-sher". Three syllables, short o/u sound.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

On the topic of pronunciation: my dad was a software developer in the 80s/90s, an immigrant to Australia, from South Africa. The story goes that, one time in a meeting with a client, they emphasised that the system to be designed must "cope with deposits and withdrawals". Dad responded, genuinely perplexed, "what's a 'droral'?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hyperlynx posted:

On the topic of pronunciation: my dad was a software developer in the 80s/90s, an immigrant to Australia, from South Africa. The story goes that, one time in a meeting with a client, they emphasised that the system to be designed must "cope with deposits and withdrawals". Dad responded, genuinely perplexed, "what's a 'droral'?"

That checks out. With-draw-rals is how the vast majority of people here say it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

burial posted:

I’m happy to look it up myself (and will because I’m curious) but I can’t discern a difference in how I pronounce any version of Mary/merry/marry and can’t even imagine what the difference would BE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i9rMU8aL-U
I also read somewhere that people say Prize and Price as the same word, and that just seems bonkers. Also how the hell is perogative not a word?

Phosphine posted:

It's not even remotely correct. Worcestershire is pronounced /ˈwʊstərʃər/, or if you don't read IPA I'd write it something like "wuss-ter-sher". Three syllables, short o/u sound.
I say War-shist-terr.

Memento posted:

That checks out. With-draw-rals is how the vast majority of people here say it.
With draws

Edit: Just a note, I'm not saying what I say is right or correct, but it's just how we say it in the south east pa area.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 12:31 on May 17, 2019

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

burial posted:

Mehree (long "e" first syllable)/meree (short "e" first syllable)/maree ("a" as in "cat", rather than "e" as in "hello").

E: just thought of a better way of putting it: they rhyme with hairy/cherry/carry, respectively

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 14:48 on May 17, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

Savukkeensytyttimen is cigarette lighter.

Your language is twice as mad as ours.

Savukkeensytyttimen is Finnish for cigarette lighter's.

e: Well it can also be accusative. But it's not the nominative of cigarette lighter, that would be savukkeensytytin.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:19 on May 17, 2019

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

burial posted:

Same re pronouncing them all the same and one of those is my name, so I declare I'm right.

My husband likes to give me poo poo for pronouncing pin and pen the same (along with ten and tin but that comes up less often).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My wife is from Pittsburgh. There's no difference between tile and towel, roof and rough, fire and fur. Also Erin and Aaron are the same name.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just the remembered the "just fax it over, m'lord" joke :newlol:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Since Mary is a name it could be pronounced like Merry or Marry too though depending on the person, or even like Marie if you and/or your parents are monsters.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jerry Cotton posted:

Savukkeensytyttimen is Finnish for cigarette lighter's.

e: Well it can also be accusative. But it's not the nominative of cigarette lighter, that would be savukkeensytytin.

You're not making a strong case for Finnish being a sane language.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You're not making a strong case for Finnish being a sane language.

I never made any such claim. Finnish orthography, however, is not only insanely good but in fact the only reasonable way to go about writing a language using an alphabet. (I.e. written language should be phonemic because anything else sucks all the asses.)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I never made any such claim. Finnish orthography, however, is not only insanely good but in fact the only reasonable way to go about writing a language using an alphabet. (I.e. written language should be phonemic because anything else sucks all the asses.)

Being written phonemically doesn't make up for the rest of the insanity involved in the Finnish language. It's not even fully phonemic, the velar nasal (the n sound in kenkä) is inferred based on the spelling/placement of letters, and inconsistent especially in loan words and there are actually several exceptions to phonemic spelling within the language. Also, tuli, tuuli, and tulli will all sound remarkably similar to people trying to learn the language.

A bunch of my in-laws speak Finnish, and it's always fun to discuss the insanity of that language. I admit to having to use wikipedia to remember some of the weirdness that's been brought up in previous conversations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AFewBricksShy posted:

Also Erin and Aaron are the same name.

This is at least Pennsylvania-wide, because I'm from the East.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Beachcomber posted:

This is at least Pennsylvania-wide, because I'm from the East.

Where in the east? They are pronounced very distinctly here. Aaron's beginning 2 "A's" sound like the A in "apple". Erin sounds like Air-in.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 19:22 on May 17, 2019

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

To me it’s airon / errin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i pronounce everything like in game of thrones (the books, not the tv show)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

AFewBricksShy posted:

Where in the east? They are pronounced very distinctly here. Aaron's beginning 2 "A's" sound like the A in "apple". Erin sounds like Air-in.

I have never heard these two names pronounced differently. I assumed they were homonyms with one being the male version and one being the female version. I knew a girl named Aaron and it was pronounced just like "air-in".
Not A. A. Ron.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

This pronunciation of Aaron sounds hosed up.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is the way I’ve always pronounced them and this is at least Pennsylvania-wide, because I'm from the East.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Cacafuego posted:

This is the way I’ve always pronounced them and this is at least Pennsylvania-wide, because I'm from the East.

That's my favorite place in the Orient.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Finnska er frekar undarlegt tungumál það vita hinsvegar allir að Finnar eru rammgöldróttir því kukl er þeim í blóð borið og því er eðlilegt að gera einfaldlega ráð fyrir því að Finnska sé einhverskonar undarleg galdraþula.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

Finnska er frekar undarlegt tungumál það vita hinsvegar allir að Finnar eru rammgöldróttir því kukl er þeim í blóð borið og því er eðlilegt að gera einfaldlega ráð fyrir því að Finnska sé einhverskonar undarleg galdraþula.

:hai:

finner er djævlefødte, men ikke på den seje måde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Satt