Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

robot roll call posted:

I just started 2! Is that considered to be the low point or something?

I'm going to take this opportunity to stop talking before I spoil more stuff. Enjoy your games! I like them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

eShop

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My controversial opinion is there is no such thing as a bad Phoenix Wright game. They are all joys to play.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I just said that so it's not controversial

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Star posted:

I’ve never played a MH game before and I didn’t like (or understand) it when I tried the demo. But I picked it up on a whim after completing dark souls remastered. It took a couple of hours of playing and reading up on all the different mechanics but I am just totally in love with it now. So many different weapons, styles, armors and monsters, I up to almost 35 hours now and I think I’ve hardly scratched the surface.
that's similar to how I first discovered it :shobon: I was already way into Dark Souls and had heard of the (stupid) rivalry between the two game series, and I know that monhun sounded like something I would enjoy but I bounced hard off the demos. I also ended up buying it on a whim and uh... still bounced off hard. Like third try or something it stuck though, and then suddenly I had spent a hundred hours and wondered where all that time went.

Beastie posted:

Only MH game I've ever played was on the PSP back in like 2005 or 2006. I hated it. Regretted it within the first three hours.

That said World is on Xbox Gamepass so I made an appointment with a buddy of mine so he can show me around the gameworld.

I'm loving Dragon's Dogma and have been told (from this thread) that the two games share similar combat styles?
A lot of people played Freedom Unite on their PSP as their first monhun game and proclaim it as the best in the series but honestly, I tried playing it and even as far as monhun games go it's janky as all gently caress. You might still enjoy the later games like World and MHGU even if you disliked MHFU, but it's also worth mentioning that it's a difficult game series to get into on your own which is why it's great that we have a very nice and helpful thread :3:

I wouldn't say that combat shares that much in common with Dragon's Dogma though. The games were both developed by Capcom and are third person monster fighting action games, but the actual combat plays out pretty differently. Coming from games like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter I felt like Dragon's Dogma had a much "looser" sense of combat, the attacks aren't as clearly telegraphed and it's a bit more hack and slash. If you like deliberate combat you'll enjoy monhun though, it has a much bigger focus on reading enemies' attacks and reacting to them.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The SL-9 incident is fantastic storytelling come fite me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'd be fine with Nintendo not bring an SNES game service to Nintendo Online if they made more goddamn SNES Classics.

lol, gently caress that. Give me SNES on my Switch.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

anyone familiar with the site MassGenie? i was pointed towards it today when looking for deals on eshop credit. it seems you can get $50 for about $42 through there but i'm unfamiliar with the site and looking to see if anyone else can vouch for it

or maybe see if anyone knows any other deals; looking to get in on this nintendo game voucher thing

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Kaubocks posted:

anyone familiar with the site MassGenie? i was pointed towards it today when looking for deals on eshop credit. it seems you can get $50 for about $42 through there but i'm unfamiliar with the site and looking to see if anyone else can vouch for it

or maybe see if anyone knows any other deals; looking to get in on this nintendo game voucher thing

Raise usually has $5 off of $50, I've bought a handful of eshop cards there

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Phoenix Wright 2 is still great it just has the worst case in the original trilogy. Apollo Justice is great too

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dual Destinies is the only one I’m iffy on. But everyone else likes it so you should probably play it anyway.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The sax sounded like a 2 dollar casio keyboard cranked to max volume

while enough people will defend the snes soundchip, i would also like to defend the honor of casio, makers of many find soundchips over the yeras. gently caress you!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played, like 15 hours of MHGU in and then suddenly lost all interest in it. I can't really explain why.

Same thing happened with MHW, I think it's like Civilization where I really like the idea of the game but then I play it and realize I don't actually like the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the SNES sound chip just whatever was being used for that particular sound was a really bad synth.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
One of the Mario Maker 2 win conditions is not touching the ground after your initial jump. That's gonna be a fun thing to design levels around.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I played Resi4 in January this year on my Wii, it's still amazing to play. One of the best games ever made.

I wish the Res4 Switch port was the Wii version and let you use the joy cons like wiimotes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you are hesitant to get MHGU because MHW is so modern, just play in Prowler mode.

Not only do you get to be a cute cat but you don't have to deal with all the tedious bullshit but you also GET TO BE A CUTE CAT WITH A BOOMERANG and ohmygod it's so fun.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

asecondduck posted:

I played, like 15 hours of MHGU in and then suddenly lost all interest in it. I can't really explain why.

Same thing happened with MHW, I think it's like Civilization where I really like the idea of the game but then I play it and realize I don't actually like the game.

I loved MHW up until I killed Nergigante and then just got bored and didn’t want to play anymore. That’s enough playtime and value for me though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kirios posted:

My controversial opinion is there is no such thing as a bad Phoenix Wright game. They are all joys to play.

Vs Layton is pretty meh

Good music though

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You shut your goddamn mouth

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Miles Edgeworth: Perfect Prosecutor was pretty not great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shammypants posted:

I loved MHW up until I killed Nergigante and then just got bored and didn’t want to play anymore. That’s enough playtime and value for me though.

Rude.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

fwiw the demos are trash, don't play the demos

e: and this is a problem with monhun in general, to be honest. The demos (all of them) are super bad and not representative of the game at all, which means you gotta buy it to really experience the game.. and even then it takes several hours of investment before you get a feel for whether you like the game or not. And not everyone does.

yeah, you can import your Generations save

I've heard this many times but the problem is I have no other way to judge if I'd like it. I figured that since I have some experience now with world I could at least get enough information from the GU demo to tell if I wanted to make the switch. While it's not the full experience I think at least finding the controls and such more frustrating is an indication that I don't want to go back.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Steve2911 posted:

Miles Edgeworth: Perfect Prosecutor was pretty not great.

The Fan Translated sequel is real good though.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

play GU so you too can join the ranks of us mad when your favorite niche monster doesn't make it into iceborne

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've got a good feeling that my wonderful fat son, Lagombi the snow rabbit, will make it into Iceborne, the snow expansion for World.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inzombiac posted:

If you are hesitant to get MHGU because MHW is so modern, just play in Prowler mode.

Not only do you get to be a cute cat but you don't have to deal with all the tedious bullshit but you also GET TO BE A CUTE CAT WITH A BOOMERANG and ohmygod it's so fun.

:hfive: This man gets it.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

hatty posted:

The Fan Translated sequel is real good though.

I'd argue it's the second-best overall game in the series after 3. It's definitely worth seeking out the translation.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRbTO4no4Pw

Helll yess

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Policenaut posted:

I've got a good feeling that my wonderful fat son, Lagombi the snow rabbit, will make it into Iceborne, the snow expansion for World.

Ice frog shark is probably gonna make it too

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'd be fine with Nintendo not bring an SNES game service to Nintendo Online if they made more goddamn SNES Classics.

I don't about the US, but I've regularly seen SNES Minis for sale, and on occasion NES Minis over here in France. I've even spotted the former in generic supermarket video game sections.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

:siren: If you scroll down a little bit in the entry for the game it'll show bundles :siren:

edit: this is on the switch not the website

TheLawinator fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 16, 2019

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So how is the Castlevania Collection on the Switch, emulation wise?

I heard there are some audio glitches, but is it super bad?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheLawinator posted:

:siren: If you scroll down a little bit in the entry for the game it'll show bundles :siren:

edit: this is on the switch not the website

I went to the eshop on my phone and it said $69.99 but I'll check for real when I get home

I already have it but I think my niece and nephew would love it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
When I heard there was a capcom sale on the eshop I got pumped, went to check Phoenix Wright Trilogy and sadly it's not on sale.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Willo567 posted:

So how is the Castlevania Collection on the Switch, emulation wise?

I heard there are some audio glitches, but is it super bad?

The are audio glitches in the Xbox One version of 4 and Bloodlines.

In all other versions there are none that are "mistakes". There are audio pops and beeps in level 2 of Castlevania 1, but that is actually accurate emulation to that games first released version. Castlevania had a very small initial run with this audio glitch that was corrected in later versions, but looks like they used the original version of the game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spacebump posted:

When I heard there was a capcom sale on the eshop I got pumped, went to check Phoenix Wright Trilogy and sadly it's not on sale.

It is on sale...

On 3DS :troll:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Spacebump posted:

It is on the 3DS, 12 bucks for the trilogy.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Did the first Mario Maker have a way to filter out levels with invisible blocks? I only played about a half hour of it at a friend's house, but that was long enough to make it clear that randos aren't responsible enough to use something like that thoughtfully and sparingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nah, but most of the levels with that kind of bullshit would end up in Super Expert aka, The Kaizo Zone