Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Seeing the videos of cutscenes getting interrupted reminded me of my favorite but I can't find it and I really hope someone can post it. It's the one of a dialogue cutscene in Fallout 4 where a helicopter just loving crashes right into the NPC and his eyeballs explode directly into the camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

Seeing the videos of cutscenes getting interrupted reminded me of my favorite but I can't find it and I really hope someone can post it. It's the one of a dialogue cutscene in Fallout 4 where a helicopter just loving crashes right into the NPC and his eyeballs explode directly into the camera

Think I found it:

https://youtu.be/04mTgwOqHFs

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Oh god yes it's just as beautiful as I remember thank you so much

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This is incredible.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Valentine chiming in at the end really makes it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJFdbQo7Qo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"You won't regret it, I promise. We haven't had a single *splortch*"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Not really a glitch tho, that game has literal hordes of infected humans.

Edit: Okay, I watched it at a higher brightness and they appear suddenly. It is a glitch, ignore my dumb post.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Personally my favorite Fallout 4 one is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXXFC0emkU, precisely because you can see it coming.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I don't know why people hate FO4 so much, it's a fantastic glitch engine with some minor gameplay elements attached. Has anyone played a game where something didn't break hilariously?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't know why people hate FO4 so much, it's a fantastic glitch engine with some minor gameplay elements attached. Has anyone played a game where something didn't break hilariously?

Extend that from Fallout 4 to "every Bethesda game since Morrowind". The engines are always held together by duck tape and prayers, and they ran out of duck tape years ago. I feel like the game making GBS threads the bed in a hilarious way is a feature that should be advertised on the back of the box because that's basically why I keep buying their games.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm not sure if this is real or not, but if it is, at least they have a sense of humor about it.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Extend that from Fallout 4 to "every Bethesda game since Morrowind". The engines are always held together by duck tape and prayers, and they ran out of duck tape years ago. I feel like the game making GBS threads the bed in a hilarious way is a feature that should be advertised on the back of the box because that's basically why I keep buying their games.

They literally tried to hype up Fallout 76 this way. No, really, "expect bugs!"

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, I remember Todd Howard basically saying "Our games have been busted and had the same bugs for 10 years now, and guess what? We still haven't fixed them!"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Wasn't this game delayed for a year or two? What were they working on in that time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Wasn't this game delayed for a year or two? What were they working on in that time?

I mean I haven't played Days Gone but the entire rest of this thread shows that funny glitches happen in every game under the sun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Yeah, I remember Todd Howard basically saying "Our games have been busted and had the same bugs for 10 years now, and guess what? We still haven't fixed them!"
In all fairness, I'm with Subponticate on this: it hasn't stopped me from enjoying them yet unless they were bad and uninteresting games on top of that. The reason I vaguely dislike Fallout 4 is because it feels like a bland mishmash the same way Oblivion did, just not nearly as bad. The glitches and entertaining bugs have absolutely nothing to do with it, though.

I still remember the first time a Skyrim giant sent me into orbit. Good times.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: oh, I had posted about this ages ago.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

In all fairness, I'm with Subponticate on this: it hasn't stopped me from enjoying them yet unless they were bad and uninteresting games on top of that. The reason I vaguely dislike Fallout 4 is because it feels like a bland mishmash the same way Oblivion did, just not nearly as bad. The glitches and entertaining bugs have absolutely nothing to do with it, though.

I still remember the first time a Skyrim giant sent me into orbit. Good times.

I also hated the F4 settlement building, but for the reason that they did not go all in on that either. If you play the game on console, the area object limits are stupidly low and the theoretical maximum of people is low 20's. If you have the Vault 88 on console, you actually can only barely build the walls to cover the cave given as a playground, not to mention do some furnishing on the place. The inhabitants also do not actually do anything else, besides what the player tells them to do (for example get shitfaced, start their own businesses, start militia, gangs, create farms, gamble, build new hovels, have dance off, what ever). The only place where the radiant system would have produced some interesting results is the only place where it was not used.

Also, if you want me to build the Hub, then let me build the loving Hub.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 18:04 on May 16, 2019

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Der Kyhe posted:

I also hated the F4 settlement building, but for the reason that they did not go all in on that either. If you play the game on console, the area object limits are stupidly low and the theoretical maximum of people is low 20's. If you have the Vault 88 on console, you actually can only barely build the walls to cover the cave given as a playground, not to mention do some furnishing on the place. The inhabitants also do not actually do anything else, besides what the player tells them to do (for example get shitfaced, start their own businesses, start militia, gangs, create farms, gamble, build new hovels, have dance off, what ever). The only place where the radiant system would have produced some interesting results is the only place where it was not used.

A lot of the settlements are also not really interesting locations to build in; I had fun filling out Hangman's Alley between the existing walls, and building between flooded town ruins in some swamp settlement in the south, but I can't be bothered to build a whole town from scratch in the middle of a field.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

General Specific posted:

A lot of the settlements are also not really interesting locations to build in; I had fun filling out Hangman's Alley between the existing walls, and building between flooded town ruins in some swamp settlement in the south, but I can't be bothered to build a whole town from scratch in the middle of a field.

Yeah, and on that one abandoned town which you could have theoretically remade as a "real town" with shops and sort-of existing infrastructure, the game only gave you the building area of one building on the outskirts of the town and the parking lots next to it. The gently caress? Even that one kidnap-happy town on the upper corner had more stuff and larger map footprint, so it cannot be the technical limitations even on consoles.

And you can't retake Quincy, even if by judging the map and city layout this was going to be a thing at some point of development.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

The only place where the radiant system would have produced some interesting results is the only place where it was not used.

Amen. I played on PC, but that doesn't really do anything to the fix the systemic issue that the game is just not actually that interesting. Fallout 4 is a prime example of wasted potential. Even a million mods didn't manage to keep me engaged, which is really unusual for Bethesda games.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think the settlement building would be better if it was both smaller and larger.

Smaller in that you should only have maybe 4 or 5 settlements to build up. The fort, the drive in, maybe the first location, then one or two out west. Make it so when Preston says "Go help a settlement" It's going to be one I'm already invested in. Don't make me juggle a dozen locations, especially if there's no real consequence. If I abandon a settlement - then I want raiders or mutants to take it over - and raze it to the ground. Unless I go back, kill the bad guys and do something, then I want that area to stay "dead". If I'm the only person capable of rescuing every new settlement in the commonwealth, then some are going to lose.

Larger as in don't limit me to 100 items. I played on PC so it was something that could be corrected with mods, and that's better. But it's really stupid to say "Here's a sandbox, go build something cool", and then limit me to a relative handful of items. And the power stuff is also bullshit. Here's a giant generator. It can power about 5 TVs before getting overwhelmed.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
On that note, my biggest complaint with F4 is how they skill-lock a bunch of settlement and crafting stuff. In order to actually get the most out of settlements you need CHA and INT at 6 and a bunch of attached perks to actually fill stuff out.

Like you can solve the power problem if you get Science! level 4 which gives you the fusion reactor that puts out 100 power, but otherwise tough poo poo you need to rely on ugly gas generators everywhere. Similarly, if you don't put points into Gun Nut you literally can't build anything better than the basic machine gun turret and some lights.

In general Science! is an obnoxious skill that gates basically every high-end feature of the game. Most high level weapon mods require it, even melee weapons that otherwise get their own separate crafting perk, as well as most fancy armor mods and Power Armor on top of that. (I just realized I should just go console grant it to my INT 1 character because gently caress not being able to make fancy power armor just because she's brick stupid otherwise.)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I completely ignored the base building in f4 outside of:

1. Missions/quests that required you to build stuff, and
2. A bed, a campfire, and all the crafting benches in a literal circle around where fast-traveling to sanctuary drops you

I just decided that sanctuary is where i would dump all my scrap and craft all my poo poo. Eventually preston's mission markers started being a bit off, like the dev clicked on a zoomed-out map to place them

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm one of the weirdos who absolutely loved the settlement building and playing Sims with my settlers. I wish it was more fleshed out and realized, and pretty much align with the earlier post about wanting it to be both bigger and smaller.

Each of my settlements had a central concept behind it and lore that I would develop in my headcanon as I built each one up. I want to see the next Fallout have an even better settlement building system, but at this point I doubt we're going to see better ANYTHING from Bethesda.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't hate the base building, I just wish that it actually did something. Like, why can you place turrets all over the place, but are never actually attacked? They only exist to drive up your security rating and it's just so boring in comparison to what it could've been. I'm not asking for a full tower defense mode here, but there is just so much about the settlement management that felt like pointless busywork.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm one of the weirdos who absolutely loved the settlement building and playing Sims with my settlers. I wish it was more fleshed out and realized, and pretty much align with the earlier post about wanting it to be both bigger and smaller.

Each of my settlements had a central concept behind it and lore that I would develop in my headcanon as I built each one up. I want to see the next Fallout have an even better settlement building system, but at this point I doubt we're going to see better ANYTHING from Bethesda.

If you have it on PC there's some mods that definitely add to the whole system quite nicely

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cardiovorax posted:

I didn't hate the base building, I just wish that it actually did something. Like, why can you place turrets all over the place, but are never actually attacked? They only exist to drive up your security rating and it's just so boring in comparison to what it could've been. I'm not asking for a full tower defense mode here, but there is just so much about the settlement management that felt like pointless busywork.

You are attacked if your security rating is lower than your food+water numbers combined.

Turrets make it trivially easy to rocket past that so you rarely actually get raids in normal play.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zore posted:

Turrets make it trivially easy to rocket past that so you rarely actually get raids in normal play.
So the only time turrets would be useful is when you don't actually have any. Genius. No wonder I thought they were effectively decorative.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Same, I put a lot of time into building cool settlements

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cardiovorax posted:

With, I think, the contraption workshop dlc was added a summing radio tower for the purpose of playing tower defense.

Settlement building was the only fun i really had looking back. I spent way to long building a trash sorting conveyed belt system that sole purpose was making ammo. Was fun. Too bad I had to play rest of game to get resources.

Edit: actually looking it up think that was a mod, so well

World Famous W has a new favorite as of 08:34 on May 17, 2019

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Cardiovorax posted:

So the only time turrets would be useful is when you don't actually have any. Genius. No wonder I thought they were effectively decorative.

The 3D Fallouts have universally been plagued by two coherent, well-thought-through systems utterly loving things up for the player when they collide.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

World Famous W posted:

Too bad I had to play rest of game to get resources.

I very quickly stared using console commands, god mode and noclip haha.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zore posted:

You are attacked if your security rating is lower than your food+water numbers combined.

This is amazing design.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Somfin posted:

The 3D Fallouts have universally been plagued by two coherent, well-thought-through systems utterly loving things up for the player when they collide.

What were those for 3/nv?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's the first time I've seen Fallout games described as 'plagued by well thought out systems'.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hey, SPECIAL is a perfectly adequate stat system... for a turn-based, top-down isometric RPG.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

I started off building defensible forts with walls, and turrets to cover entrances, but gave up when literally none of them ever got attacked. It was a cool idea in principle but just doesn't work without mods.

The only good thing about the settlement system in the base game is using it to hide from Preston Garvey if he glitches his way into being an unstoppable killing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Zore posted:

What always bugged me about the raids is that your defenses don't matter once a raid has occurred.

Before you arrive attacking forces will walk right through the targeting area of turrets, solid walls and buildings; making your entire defense set-up mostly pointless. So, when you arrive you discover that the raiders have phased straight though a wall of solid concrete, past all the outward facing turrets that could kill them in half a second, and are now running around in the unprotected center of the settlement, where you now have to manually kill them in a swirling chaotic mass of settlers and raiders.

It just makes planing defenses kind of a downer when you realize that other then the number it gives you, nothing else really matters.

Viscous Soda has a new favorite as of 18:14 on May 17, 2019