Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I want to be better with swords but having to score three or four hits in a frontline with a longsword stinks next to crushing fools with with a maul or evening star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
I like class building, and I've taken a liking to a reaper type character with a scythe and the skill that lets me keep living for a bit after dying, mostly for roleplay reasons. But I run around the battlefield, helping teammates win duels, and one shotting unaware archers and other unarmored classes.

The scythe is fun but you REALLY gotta pick your fights. Anything with 2/2/1 or better is not really worth your time, as they'll one shot you and you gotta smack them 3-4 times. But you DO one shot anything with 1/0/- or worse.

I'd like to have a better sense of how the catch up mechanic works. How far away do people have to be for it to not trigger? I'd like to pick my fights better, but I feel like even unarmored I get caught up to too fast.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Glenn Quebec posted:

I want to be better with swords but having to score three or four hits in a frontline with a longsword stinks next to crushing fools with with a maul or evening star

Yeah I came to this conclusion too. I switched to the war axe which is the same price but kills almost everything in 1 fewer hits

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I really wanna like the Eveningstar, but I just can't quite make it click. It's not bad, as such, but at 8 points it seems kinda overcosted for what it does. Maul and War-Axe do the two-hit kill thing just as well (arguably better) at fewer points. Hell, so does the Mace at half the cost, although with shorter range. Similarly, two-handed swords do the stabby thing better while still often just losing one hit-to-kill on swings. Kinda wish it was just a bit longer and worked like a pseudo-polehammer. :saddowns:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 16, 2019

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
One tip for scythe is to aim for the legs, it does a substantial amount of damage to legs and a lot of people in Frontline will forgo leg armor. I think something like 70 damage for 0 leg armor?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Eveningstar is good because of its alt. You have a long reach attack and a short handled fast attack. Also, stab then morph into a swing to wreck fools.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, I should've tried the BR mode sooner, this poo poo is hilarious.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
In my misadventures as a custom class that has to scavenge for weapons, I've had trouble understanding the eveningstar as well. The range seems too short for its speed and damage. As a complement to the maul it seems like it should either be longer or faster.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Great, just now I had a BR match go really well, I got to 6th place and had great gear. And then I died because I was trapped between the death zone and an invisible wall that stopped me from dropping down to safety. Nice map design, assholes.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Glenn Quebec posted:

Eveningstar is good [...] to wreck fools.

And whoever says differently is wrong :colbert:

(Dunno it just clicked with me, I like punchy weapons that tear through armor like it wasn't there)

edit: what happened to the goon server? Can't find it anymore

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 16, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it was taken down to give you idiots a chance to rest from the relentless rear end beatings I've been handing out

for real though I think it might just be the server host, or it crashed or something. It hasn't been a month since it was purchased so I doubt it's down for that.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 16, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Paging Riz. Get on that reboot, son. I need to start playing on the goon server more often.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The eveningstar is more versatile than other blunt weapons with its actually good stab and switch grip, and can smash through armor like the mace while being longer and the maul while being faster, it's the total package.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've gotten away from picking bloodlust, and using bandage instead. It really frees up what you can do with a build, and the bandage are even faster healing than the 1 point perk that increases regen.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

McSpanky posted:

The eveningstar is more versatile than other blunt weapons with its actually good stab and switch grip, and can smash through armor like the mace while being longer and the maul while being faster, it's the total package.

Yes.

Also, I just use Tenacious and back off. No need for Band-Aids or bloodlust.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

bandage is good as hell

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Zotix posted:

How many of you use the 240 system vs actually keybinding all of the attacks?

From what I understand all of the chivalry tryhards keybind all their poo poo.
Not a chivalry player, but I did plau M&B. I was overwhelmingly in favor of keys before but now strongly favor 240 after more practice, with one key for overhead slashes.

I don't think any has a serious advantage, once you get used to it. Keys are probably better than 240, until you get used to 240, then about the same?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 16, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

people underestimate the poleaxe

it's average in everything, but that kind of awesome average where whatever is thrown at you, you can take it. Good stab, decent range, quicker than most polearms and not many people use it so it catches a lot of people by surprise since they don't really know range/release times like other more common weapons

I tend to use friendly but I should try out this bandage thing, waiting for health regen sucks even with tenacious

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zotix posted:

I've gotten away from picking bloodlust, and using bandage instead. It really frees up what you can do with a build, and the bandage are even faster healing than the 1 point perk that increases regen.

Bloodlust seems like it's only worth the points if you're already goodatvideogames enough to be consistently getting 3+ kills per life or charging into groups of enemies and getting kills in in 1vXs.
I'm too bad to get any value out of it

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My favorite bandage story is nearly killing a guy, having him retreat behind his team and pull out a bandage, and then having his five or so buddies completely ignore me as I charged past them and took off his head.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm still bad at this game but this game is good and hitting guys with your sword is a fun time

I play with team colours off because things look cooler and I respect people's customisations

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Bloodlust seems like it's only worth the points if you're already goodatvideogames enough to be consistently getting 3+ kills per life or charging into groups of enemies and getting kills in in 1vXs.

the point of blood lust is to take it with a big swingy sword like the executioner's sword and run around mashing V and doing big horizontals at head height

on a packed frontline server your sword will probably make contact with a distracted dude's head every other swing or so, instantly refilling all of your health. the dude who stabbed you as this happened will let his guard down because he doesn't realize that you just got set back to full health and assumes that the second time he hit you for 70 was enough to kill you. he will serve as fodder for your backswing, continuing the cycle until one of your teammates hits you with a catapult

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I find bloodlust literally invaluable on high damage weapons like the waraxe and too expensive for everything else.

Friendly, and if possible, tenacious are my go to picks for every build, in that order. Many people don't seem to like Friendly as some kind of... moral judgment and I disagree. Sure it would be NICE if your own team mates did not strike you but they do all the time and that is not going to change, so friendly is bonus HP which to me is a no brainer. Also er... uh.... Well. If I am confident I can kill a foe in a fight and CONFIDENT I won't kill my team mate hitting through them I... will every time?

Wait, hear me out! I am not a monster!

If someone is good at parrying and you can't get around them it isn't hard at all to parry two people at once as you and your team mate block each other. Our team is better off if my team mate if both me and a team mate are off fighting others quicker even if my team mate has 15 or 20 less HP. And obviously you can't and shouldn't do that with high damage weapons. When four people on your team are chasing one guy the math even more favorably favoes tacticaly doing friendly fire, the sooner everyone is off to a real fight the better for your team.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 16, 2019

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Accurate esp re catapult except you forgot that every 10th kill your sword cleaves through the enemy and takes out your teammate the enemy is focused on as well.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Diogines posted:

I find bloodlust literally invaluable on high damage weapons like the waraxe and too expensive for everything else.

Friendly, and if possible, tenacious are my go to picks for every build, in that order. Many people don't seem to like Friendly as some kind of... moral judgment and I disagree. Sure it would be NICE if your own team mates did not strike you but they do all the time and that is not going to change, so friendly is bonus HP which to me is a no brainer. Also er... uh.... Well. If I am confident I can kill a foe in a fight and CONFIDENT I won't kill my team mate hitting through them I... will every time?

Wait, hear me out! I am not a monster!

If someone is good at parrying and you can't get around them it isn't hard at all to parry two people at once as you and your team mate block each other. Our team is better off if my team mate if both me and a team mate are off fighting others quicker even if my team mate has 15 or 20 less HP. And obviously you can't and shouldn't do that with high damage weapons.

friendly is bad because if your teammates are getting in the way of your huge caveman swings you want to get them out of the way faster so you can hit the enemies

all friendly does is make it take additional swings to get through your teammates, which can leave an opening for the enemy to hit you

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it also makes it so your big dumb cavemen teammates are also cleaving through you less efficiently, which is the real reason to take friendly.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You can't "get them out of the way" except trying to circle around the opponent. Which is not always a good or quick option. Meanwhile, the foe might kill your team mate and every moment they back peddle is another moment another enemy might arrive and even out the fight.

Circling around the foe is ideal but not always easy or quick.

Edit: ^^Yes, that. The typical player will happily hit their own team mates as they swing wildly like a crazed beserker without even a second thought and hit you in the process. Friendly is basically free HP for you. Strategically hitting your own team intelligently is just a fringe benefit.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 16, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't think that's what they meant by "get them out of the way" lol

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Going with red for a team color is just such a bad idea. Blue team is at a disadvantage any time they are bloody. I honestly wish I was memeing when I said this, but the number of times that I've been hit while bloody on blue team is unreal. Maybe 3-4 times a match, at least.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://giant.gfycat.com/SoggyMistyAmericanbittern.webm

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I've turned off team colours, but the teammate marker is really hard to see against light backgrounds, is there a way to change it?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Diogines posted:

You can't "get them out of the way" except trying to circle around the opponent.
a dead man cannot be in your way

similarly, I do not want to be in the way of my teammates swings, which is why I do not wear armour. they can cleave through me as though I were not there, such is the path to victory. if you aren't ready to hit end when you're about to eat a swing that could cut through 2 enemies you aren't a true patriot

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I've turned off team colours, but the teammate marker is really hard to see against light backgrounds, is there a way to change it?

I feel like since I turned team colors off I get murdered way more by dudes walking up behind me who I saw out of the corner of my eye and thought were a teammate.
But the pretty colors are 100% worth it. I need to see everyone's medieval barbies the way they were truly designed.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

a dead man cannot be in your way

similarly, I do not want to be in the way of my teammates swings, which is why I do not wear armour. they can cleave through me as though I were not there, such is the path to victory. if you aren't ready to hit end when you're about to eat a swing that could cut through 2 enemies you aren't a true patriot

Actually if you aren't wearing armor you will probably be much faster and just circle around them?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'd happily turn colors back on if it meant I could choose where I wanted the blues and whites and reds and blacks on my armor.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

I'd happily turn colors back on if it meant I could choose where I wanted the blues and whites and reds and blacks on my armor.
I wear poofy sleeves and scarves as it is for full plate or chainmail without proper color patches or tabbards, so I don't need my brigandine looking like somebody soaked it in Kool-Aid :argh: (This mostly annoyed me because unlike other parts, it didn't color change on the shopping preview to match like say, the leather doublet).

Any rear end in a top hat who wants to hide their team colors are picking sleeveless with black pants anyways, so might as well give us better control over our color coding.

EDIT: Also, the Leather Doublet is pretty great :buddy:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 16, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I don't understand why they don't just put a red outline around enemies, every other game does it, and it would fix the entire problem perfectly

Or is this one of those idiotic H I S T O R I C A L I M M E R S I O N things

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah dude that's the reason it's not in, it's because of historical immersion, they had to make sure they got the real accurate stuff like little floating icons above your teammates heads that you can see through walls across the entire battlefield, punching people do death with your invisible dismembered arm and instantly healing to 100% perfect health by staring at a medical bag for 3 seconds in first

maybe they just don't want to do it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Zotix posted:

Going with red for a team color is just such a bad idea. Blue team is at a disadvantage any time they are bloody. I honestly wish I was memeing when I said this, but the number of times that I've been hit while bloody on blue team is unreal. Maybe 3-4 times a match, at least.
It does cut both ways. Sometimes a red player thinks a blue player is on their team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Can always hit “h” and it will toggle icons representing where your teammates are on the map. It’s really useful to know the spread of your teammates.

Especially good for joining a group and picking off the sides of a line with a 2 handed sword.