Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Recommending (in general) the Humanscale Liberty Task. Insanely comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I found a used leather Steelcase Leap WorkLounge for $295 from one of the furniture stores here in Seattle and it is amazing. It doesn't have wheels, though, just gliders. Would anyone happen to know if it's possible to install wheels on it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wheels are an option, so chances are you can swap the sliders out for castors. Prise one out and measure it, and then find a local/online castor place. It's possible to get hard floor castors which are slightly soft, and they're massively better than the standard hard castors for short pile carpet, assuming you have a wood or tiled floor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm in sort of a weird position at work here - my office chair is an incredibly lovely Staples mesh-back task chair manufactured in 2011 that has one arm pad loose and a cushion so cracked it looks like a mosaic, but it's nevertheless one of the most comfortable chairs with the best back support I've sat in (and that includes my Leap at home). Thing is, my boss is trying to discard all the old furniture because he wants all the chairs in his office to color-coordinate (don't ask). Are there re-upholstery services for chairs this disposable, because the replacement ones that my boss is getting suuuuuck and high-end manufacturers don't offer the colors that he wants.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

Recommending (in general) the Humanscale Liberty Task. Insanely comfortable.

Any idea how it compares to the Freedom Task?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

nitsuga posted:

Any idea how it compares to the Freedom Task?

No idea sorry, I copied the idea from our work setup.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I need a chair that will hopefully last at least a few years and it must have arms that can be removed easily or swung out of the way. I don't wanna spend much more than $150. What are my best best options? Staples has a "gaming" chair that's comfortable enough with moveable arms, I'd buy it except I think I could do better for the price than a heavily marked up store brand.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
For sub-$200 the usual recommendation is the Ikea Markus since it's got the ten year warranty, it has fixed arms but you can simply decline to attach them. The comfort is subjective though so try before you buy if you can.

Otherwise, you're mostly stuck with whatever used deals you can find in your area.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You could roll the dice and try an Autonomous chair I guess. Their customer service is infamously bad, and I think you assemble the whole thing.

Which is basically IKEA anyway.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
That Ikea chair looks like it should be $40 let alone $200. Also don't wanna gently caress around with reattaching the arms when I need them again, was hoping to get something where they quick release or fold back. I guess I'll just buy whatever is comfortable and meets my arm criteria since I'm not spending big bucks for a chair yet.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 15, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm not proud to admit it, but I have been using one of these for a year or two and have had zero issues.

https://m.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black-23481-CC/product_990119

I was going to splurge if it sucked or fell apart, but it still looks and feels brand new.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

That Ikea chair looks like it should be $40 let alone $200. Also don't wanna gently caress around with reattaching the arms when I need them again, was hoping to get something where they quick release or fold back. I guess I'll just buy whatever is comfortable and meets my arm criteria since I'm not spending big bucks for a chair yet.
The difference is the Ikea chair will still look like that after two years of use, whereas your Staples gaming chair will look like poo poo, you will be out $150 and back to square one. Don't spend your money on things that quickly lose 100% of their value. At least get something mesh like Moey posted so it has a chance in hell of holding up.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Moey posted:

I'm not proud to admit it, but I have been using one of these for a year or two and have had zero issues.

https://m.staples.com/Staples-Hyken-Mesh-Task-Chair-Black-23481-CC/product_990119

I was going to splurge if it sucked or fell apart, but it still looks and feels brand new.

I'm glad, since my office just replaced all our aging chairs with this one...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The Markus is great except for the armrests. I've had mine for ~15 years now and while the cylinder has had issues with randomly dropping (that only started after over 10 years of daily use and is probably because I'm a big dumb fatty) everything else about it is in perfect shape.

The non-adjustable arms (and the thin padding on them) kind of suck though, so I'm considering an Autonomous to replace it. Does anybody have the MyoChair from them? It seems like an insanely nice package for $99...

EDIT: Actually I guess I should say the Markus was great, it seems like there are a ton of good chairs at that price point now, whereas when I bought it, the options were that or poo poo garbage from OfficeMax, or a "real" chair for 3x the price.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 15, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone know of a reliable place to buy parts for my Herman Miller Mirra chair? The seat pan is wearing out and and I'd like to buy a new one but there's none on eBay and the few websites I found selling parts for this model want $200 for the seat pan which is almost 2x what I paid for the entire chair.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The HON Exposure is also pretty good in my experience. I’d opt for one of the leather options personally, but I used the upholstered version at work for 3 years without much issue. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-office-chair/

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

nitsuga posted:

The HON Exposure is also pretty good in my experience. I’d opt for one of the leather options personally, but I used the upholstered version at work for 3 years without much issue. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-office-chair/

Interesting that they recommend the Gesture, with no mention of the Leap in sight. Everywhere else you go, it's people recommending the Leap. Anyone sat in both?

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Flabbergasted an Aeron would get rated above an Embody let alone runner up status.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah. As someone who has one for work and one for home, the Embody is so much better it’s crazy.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

My new software dev job which I'll be starting soon involves working from from home the majority of the days of the week, so I've been thinking about upgrading my current chair (IKEA Flintan/Nominell with a £30 seat cushion) to something a bit more ergonomic, as I've been finding it gets a bit uncomfortable on weekends when I'm in the chair for longer periods of time.

One factor which doesn't help the situation is that my overall desk/computer setup probably isn't the best for my posture.

As you can see, I have quite a small desk (to match the small room, blame the UK rental market), and the lack of space means that I don't have enough space for a standard desktop setup with a separate tower/keyboard/monitor etc. so I less space-hungry laptop instead.

Because the keyboard and monitor are at the same height though, with my current non adjustable arm rests, and because I'm just over 6ft, I can either have my head in line with the screen and the arm rests quite far below my arms, or be able to use the arm rests but have my neck tilted downwards to look at the screen.

In the future, my housing situation might change in a way that allows me to start using a proper desk and desktop, but at least for the next year, I'm locked into this house, so I'd like to try improve my comfort with the restrictions I currently have.

At this stage, wouldn't really want to be spending any more than £250-£300, and ideally it wouldn't be leather (which seems to be what a lot of the chairs in the sub £200 range are made of). So if you have any recommendations for stuff that fits that criteria available in the UK it would be much appreciated.

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the
Used Aeron are very available in your price range on gumtree. That would be my recommendation as it’s super adjustable. I’d also grab a laptop stand to get that up off the desk and grab a cheap keyboard, it will make a huge comfort difference.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

My upper back is seizing up just looking at this.

The chair may be cheap, but I’d say it isn’t the biggest issue here. The positioning of the laptop plus the narrow width of the desk is forcing you to look downwards at the screen and lean forwards slightly to reach the keyboard. You don’t have much desk depth to work with but I’d suggest getting a laptop riser and a cheapo separate keyboard - effectively turning the laptop into a screen only. This will let you keep your neck in a more natural position and let you sit more upright and will make a much bigger difference to comfort than upgrading the chair IMO.

As the poster above said, second-hand Aerons are available in your price range, but double-check dimensions before buying - Aerons are comparatively wide in front and probably won’t fit under your tiny desk - that may actually end up being even less comfortable as you’d be forced to lean forward even more.

Also - try to learn as many keyboard shortcuts as possible and minimise your use of the mouse. In that setup you have to reach a long way over to reach it which isn’t great ergonomically either.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Nova88 posted:

As you can see, I have quite a small desk (to match the small room, blame the UK rental market), and the lack of space means that I don't have enough space for a standard desktop setup with a separate tower/keyboard/monitor etc. so I less space-hungry laptop instead.

I'm just going to hit this real quick. Desktops got small. In that pic you definitely have room for a mini-ITX system with a keyboard, mouse and monitor. I think a standard Dell monitor base would push the keyboard into your lap, but there are plenty of low-profile or mountable monitor stands you could use that would make this worlds better for your posture.

Even a convertible tablet/laptop would let you use a real keyboard and mouse and adjust the monitor independently. Or just attaching your laptop to a keyboard, mouse and external monitor.

Laptops are really a worst-case scenario ergonomically for anyone larger than a child. Attaching the keyboard to the monitor makes it impossible to have both at the correct height, and any compromise you make is going to make the keyboard really awkward to use for longer periods of time. They're a necessary evil for travel, but in a home workstation it's a lot of needless compromise.

What I'm saying here is the chair may not be the place to invest if you're uncomfortable at that workstation.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, I bought this laptop in the last year so I'd like to try and get my money's worth out of it before building a desktop, so I was looking at laptop risers as per DoctorTristan's suggestion.
I don't have much wriggle room in regards to depth, the depth of the desk is only 42cm, and my 17in laptop takes up 28cm of that depth. The riser is gonna need a large enough base and legs to be able to support that kind of weight, and even if the legs of the riser don't take up the full 28cm depth of the laptop, it still doesn't leave a whole lot of room for a keyboard in front.
Any recommendations for risers/lowprofile keyboards that might fit?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
What about an under-desk pullout keyboard tray? Could that help give some added depth?

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Zarin posted:

What about an under-desk pullout keyboard tray? Could that help give some added depth?

I'm not sure how I would achieve that with this current desk (which is owned by the landlord)

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I've had good luck in the past with a laptop stand that could fit a keyboard under it. I can't find the exact model anymore, but we did that for an entire charter school of teachers and all but one loved it.

NeverAfter
Apr 20, 2016

Been browsing around for a used chair, found someone with an Aeron who doesn't seem to know much about it other than it's an Aeron and they think it's a bigger one in alright condition. Looks a bit dusty from sitting in a garage but other than that I can't see any problems.

pic: https://imgur.com/a/5YRuKQh

Is this legit? They say they're taking best offers so I was thinking about offering $250, but I'm not exactly an expert on chairs.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

$250 is a high offer for a dusty garage chair that the owner knows nothing about. I'd say offer $150 and negotiate from there.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Test the chair. If it was stored warm for a long time the bottom and back won't spring back like they're supposed to. I don't know how much it would cost to fix but that was my experience in a similar situation.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Interesting that they recommend the Gesture, with no mention of the Leap in sight. Everywhere else you go, it's people recommending the Leap. Anyone sat in both?

This is probably too late for you to care, and I'm not going to tell you anything you don't already know. A friend of mine and I both bought chairs at the same time after sitting in each. I got the Gesture, and she got the Leap as that's what we each found more comfortable. That's a long-winded way of me telling you to try them both and see which you like most.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I work from home and I spend upwards of 12 hours a day in my chair so I think its time for me to get a real chair.

It looks like the thread favorites are the Herman Miller Embody or maybe something from Steelcase. Are there any other chairs worth looking at for under $2000? I live in Houston and the nearest showroom for either is more than 3 hours away.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
On a $2000 budget you can buy drat near any chair, and I haven't seen anything dethrone the Embody as the most universally preferred chair yet.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can't you pick up an Aeron from some Chapter 11 sale of office chairs from a Houston tech company or something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I had two grand I'd get an Embody

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Just buy the embody. Especially if work is giving you that 2k.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

Just buy the embody. Especially if work is giving you that 2k.

Absolutely

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I tried the Leap, Aeron's A, B, C, and the Embody today. I expected the Embody to be my favorite chair but I just could not get comfortable in. Aeron C wasn't bad. I immediately felt comfortable in the Leap and it only got better after I adjusted it to fit me properly. The one thing I didn't like was the material in the Leap armrest, I've had chairs with armrests that felt like that before and they rubbed my arms and elbows raw. The rest of the chair was so comfortable I may overlook the armrests though.

The place I looked at the Leap also had Steelcase motorized desks that could be raised to work for both sitting and standing heights. I may get two of those at the same time if I decide to get the Leap. One for me and one for my wife since we're currently using the same, very long, desk

LLSix fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 28, 2019

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

The one thing I didn't like was the material in the Leap armrest, I've had chairs with armrests that felt like that before and they rubbed my arms and elbows raw.

The Leap's armrest pads appear to be replaceable, and there are people selling a variety of replacements on Amazon if that's an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Plastik posted:

The Leap's armrest pads appear to be replaceable, and there are people selling a variety of replacements on Amazon if that's an issue

Are any of the replacements actually any softer though?