Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe James McAvoy is the one British actor who can't do an American accent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

not sure if this thread is the right place for this, but I've always been a big stephen king fan, and by far my favorite books of his are those published under the bachman pseudonym. for the past few years I've been trying to track down affordable first edition, first printing copies of the bachman books when they wern't attributed to stephen king.

a few years ago I found thinner, and recently got the long walk:

next up, the running man!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

...affordable first edition, first printing copies of the bachman books when they wern't attributed to stephen king.

I assume you're going to skip Rage then.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea, that one is probably not gonna happen (which is ok because it's the worst Bachman book)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Someone never read The Regulators

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

I did, all the way through, I have no idea to this day why I did, but I learned my lesson that day.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

oldpainless posted:

the regulators is way, way better than rage

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

the hero of rage is a school shooter lol

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hero or protagonist? (I've never gotten to read it.)

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Hero. It’s a really, really weird book that has aged extremely poorly. When King wrote it school shootings weren’t really a thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh poo poo, no wonder he let it lapse out of publication.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Randalor posted:

Was there only 5 in that scene? I thought the other two were in the background.

Depends on what point in the story that reflection bit takes place.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe James McAvoy is the one British actor who can't do an American accent?

Doesn’t he become a writer? It may be different from the book (been a minute since I have given it a read) but I believe he marries British and has been living there for some time before getting called back to Derry.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

hatelull posted:

Doesn’t he become a writer? It may be different from the book (been a minute since I have given it a read) but I believe he marries British and has been living there for some time before getting called back to Derry.

I honestly don't recall but that sort of rings a bell and would make the most sense.

I highly doubt they'd just have one of the Losers Club having a UK accent for no reason. It just took me off guard when I heard it because it's been decades since I read the book and only remember the chapter 1 movie.

But I think you're correct

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

oldpainless posted:

I get why so many people dislike The Regulators, but I find its sheer unabashed weirdness compelling. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

hatelull posted:

He does become a writer and move across, but I thought they were wrapping up filming for a movie. I know his wife is English, or thereabouts.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I get why so many people dislike The Regulators, but I find its sheer unabashed weirdness compelling. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

A child's bowel movement is part of the course of defeating the evil thing. You can't get any more guilty than that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just finished the IT audiobook a few months back and yes, he’s a writer, his wife is British, and they’re making a film in England when he gets the call.

I read IT back when it first came out so I’d completely forgotten about the two side plots with the Losers’ spouses. Easily the weakest parts of the book. I hope the movie doesn’t waste a lot of time on them

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ConfusedUs posted:

I get why so many people dislike The Regulators, but I find its sheer unabashed weirdness compelling.

fuckin' A. Though I can't imagine reading it again, lines like "Spring on Poplar Street, man oh man can you dig it." or whatever just tickle some stupid part of me. Much like Rage's "lock me, unlock me; I am Titus, the Helpful Padlock."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy reading people's thought on Desperation/The Regulators. It's been said before but it seems people who have read both enjoy the first one they read more. But they also get a lot of scorn. Personally I read Desperation first and I really like it. Tak is a mean sarcastic bad guy in that one, and I have probably have a near phobia of spiders, so it resonates with me. I also like the way it spirals out of control starting with a simple fear: stopped on a desert highway by a cop and I'm going to kill you.

The Regulators was ok imo. A lot like that Twilight Zone episode with the kid with superpowers that made it into the TZ movie.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just finished the IT audiobook a few months back and yes, he’s a writer, his wife is British, and they’re making a film in England when he gets the call.

I read IT back when it first came out so I’d completely forgotten about the two side plots with the Losers’ spouses. Easily the weakest parts of the book. I hope the movie doesn’t waste a lot of time on them

Don't the spouses have some roles in the final acts though? I thought Denbrough's makes the journey after him without his knowledge and ends up getting messed up in whole business requiring a rescue, and Bev's abusive husband becomes another pawn?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

hatelull posted:

Don't the spouses have some roles in the final acts though? I thought Denbrough's makes the journey after him without his knowledge and ends up getting messed up in whole business requiring a rescue, and Bev's abusive husband becomes another pawn?

Bev leaves her abusive husband at the beginning of the novel, and he follows her and gets taken over by It in the same vein as Henry Bowers in the first book. Bill's wife comes without his knowledge, and then gets captured but goes insane and falls into a catatonic state after seeing It in person (his spider body). He retrieves her body after defeating It, and rides with her on his bike to restores her to consciousness by riding down a big hill.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
None of those plots were integral to the plot, but I guess they fleshed out Beverly and Bill’s characters.

Sticking them in the movie would just slow it down. We want another IT, not another Dark Tower.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Both Audra and Tom have been cast for IT 2, so they're in it at lease.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Hey goons.

I'm getting married later this year and, as a male goon, I need to have a speech prepared. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on King's, or any other author's, cognitions and quotes on love etc.

I've got a good idea if what I want to say, but someone else has almost always said it better.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I think there may be better places to go for quotes about love then the author of a children's sewer gangbang

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I think there may be better places to go for quotes about love then the author of a children's sewer gangbang

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hey goons.

I'm getting married later this year and, as a male goon, I need to have a speech prepared. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on King's, or any other author's, cognitions and quotes on love etc.

I've got a good idea if what I want to say, but someone else has almost always said it better.

Um...Why?

I'm divorced so I might be the wrong cat to ask but I made it 13 years so my advice would be to write what YOU think. Assuming you're serious, one quote that always struck with me was :

"Show me who it is that loves you, and I will tell you who you are" or something to that effect and I can't remember whose quote it was.

I'm not too sure I'd go poking around Stephen King's writings for something to use at your wedding but, hey, what the gently caress do I know?

*googles*

Here you go:

“Any good marriage is secret territory, a necessary white space on society's map. What others don't know about it is what makes it yours.”

― Stephen King, Bag of Bones

That ought to wow em.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

quote:

“Garraty wondered how it would be, to lie in the biggest, dustiest library silence of all, dreaming endless, thoughtless dreams behind your gummed-down eyelids, dressed forever in your Sunday suit. No worries about money, success, fear, joy, pain, sorrow, sex, or love. Absolute zero. No father, mother, girlfriend, lover. The dead are orphans. No company but the silence like a moth's wing. An end to the agony of movement, to the long nightmare of going down the road. The body in peace, stillness, and order. The perfect darkness of death. How would that be? Just how would that be?”

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Marriage - It's longer than you think!!

April
Jul 3, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hey goons.

Serious answer: Neil Gaiman did it best, IMO.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2017/10/wedding-thoughts-all-i-know-about-love.html

quote:

This is everything I have to tell you about love: nothing.
This is everything I've learned about marriage: nothing.

Only that the world out there is complicated,
and there are beasts in the night, and delight and pain,
and the only thing that makes it okay, sometimes,
is to reach out a hand in the darkness and find another hand to squeeze,
and not to be alone.

It's not the kisses, or never just the kisses: it's what they mean.
Somebody's got your back.
Somebody knows your worst self and somehow doesn't want to rescue you
or send for the army to rescue them.

It's not two broken halves becoming one.
It's the light from a distant lighthouse bringing you both safely home
because home is wherever you are both together.

So this is everything I have to tell you about love and marriage: nothing,
like a book without pages or a forest without trees.

Because there are things you cannot know before you experience them.
Because no study can prepare you for the joys or the trials.
Because nobody else's love, nobody else's marriage, is like yours,
and it's a road you can only learn by walking it,
a dance you cannot be taught,
a song that did not exist before you began, together, to sing.

And because in the darkness you will reach out a hand,
not knowing for certain if someone else is even there.
And your hands will meet,
and then neither of you will ever need to be alone again.

And that's all I know about love.

Bonus answer: "I made sure to put a loofah on the registry baby." :pervert: :gizz: :pervert: :gizz: :pervert: :gizz: :pervert: :gizz:

java
May 7, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hey goons.

Definitely something from The Regulators.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hey goons.

talk about how u used to use the word love to describe books and authors u like, but now ur a mature adult and use it to describe whatever ur relationship is like

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

java posted:

Definitely something from The Regulators.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I look forward to dancing the commala with my wife for years to come. Dadda-chum, dadda-chee!

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

quote:

“Love is a fake!” Olson was blaring. “There are three great truths in the world and they are a good meal, a good screw, and a good poo poo, and that’s all!”

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Gr3FsJ4A0

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

fuckin' A. Though I can't imagine reading it again, lines like "Spring on Poplar Street, man oh man can you dig it." or whatever just tickle some stupid part of me. Much like Rage's "lock me, unlock me; I am Titus, the Helpful Padlock."

“My mom fucks, AND I LOVE HER.”

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hey goons.

“My mom fucks, AND I LOVE HER.”

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
What is it with Welsh dressers and Stephen King?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

A child's bowel movement is part of the course of defeating the evil thing. You can't get any more guilty than that.

Eh, I'm able to compartmentalize that kind of thing. Sure, it's dumb. Sure, the book would be better without it. But it doesn't ruin the entire rest of the work.

I just roll my eyes and move on.

I feel that's sort of the key to being a King fan: accepting that sometime's he's weird as gently caress for no good reason, rolling your eyes, and getting back to the good parts.