Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Alex0080 posted:

Japan leans heavily on the idea that anything associated with "up" is Divine, for example in Dragon Quest, Priests generally get wind and lightning magic. So maybe they used some wording meaning "from above" or "from the heavens" and they just translated that as Divine. Just a guess though.

I mean, that's the same thing as English words like "the heavens" or "the celestial host." Heaven just means "sky" after all. And gods throwing lightning from the heavens is an extremely Western concept, with like Zeus and Thor. Dragon Quest itself is extremely based on Western fantasy ideas derived from D&D: even the concept of the combat clerics and the church would seem a little exotic and foreign to a Japanese player, at least way back in the 80s.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I found this, it's actually really interesting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Junpei posted:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I'm no better; I bought all the DLC for Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Junpei posted:

Yeah, but he still has a body count of hundreds and happily betrayed the team with no remorse. I guess I’m saying that Akechi still blows.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Clarste posted:

I mean, that's the same thing as English words like "the heavens" or "the celestial host." Heaven just means "sky" after all. And gods throwing lightning from the heavens is an extremely Western concept, with like Zeus and Thor. Dragon Quest itself is extremely based on Western fantasy ideas derived from D&D: even the concept of the combat clerics and the church would seem a little exotic and foreign to a Japanese player, at least way back in the 80s.

Yes, it was common everywhere, but today it's a less common notion in most places, Japan being one of the exceptions. Also, while Final Fantasy took inspiration from D&D directly, Dragon Quest got that more indirectly, through Wizardry and Ultima, as their is a noticeable drift going from D&D to those games to DQ which doesn't exist for FF.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Junpei posted:

This is really stretching. "Unable to be seen for who they really are" applies to almost every character in the game, good or evil. "Is viewed as a nuisance isn't even remotely true, Goro's super popular with almost everybody. Heck, No-Good Tora fits most of these descriptors.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Geostomp posted:

Did they ever explain why the P3 group were the only ones who needed an external device to summon where everyone else can just focus hard enough to do it?

There's a strong symbolic component to how every game presents Persona awakening: P3's theme is the death drive/fear of death, so you need to mimick suicide; P4 is truth against deception, so it's about acknowledging the Shadow self; and P5 is, fittingly enough, "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me".

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

YaketySass posted:

There's a strong symbolic component to how every game presents Persona awakening: P3's theme is the death drive/fear of death, so you need to mimick suicide; P4 is truth against deception, so it's about acknowledging the Shadow self; and P5 is, fittingly enough, "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me".

Pretty sure that P5’s theme was a ripping off the mask society imposes to show your real self. Also, accepting the pain doing so will bring.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Watching the Velvet Room duo run roughshod over Maaku makes me wonder if they'll be the Lu Bu equivalent for Persona 5 Scramble.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Prythian posted:

Honestly, the P5 cast didn't necessarily have it that much easier than the P3 cast, it's just that they awakened to it a bit more fully than the P3 cast, arguably, EVER did. Neither P4 nor P5 require artificial tools for it, but also arguably the traumas that the Shadows represented in P4 and the traumas that the P5 cast went through still sucked rear end.

Which is wild because the P3 protag(s) have a pretty strong claim to being the strongest persona users ever.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ManlyGrunting posted:

Which is wild because the P3 protag(s) have a pretty strong claim to being the strongest persona users ever.

It helps when you've had the spiritual manifestation of Death inside you since you were a young child.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, Persona 3 is not even a little bit subtle about Minato/Makoto being a messianic archetype.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, Persona 3 is not even a little bit subtle about Minato/Makoto being a messianic archetype.

Which is hilarious considering how much he comes across as an apathetic fucker who just watches his social links gently caress themselves over.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

YaketySass posted:

Which is hilarious considering how much he comes across as an apathetic fucker who just watches his social links gently caress themselves over.
[vitriolic derail-starting political/religious commentary]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

THOSE JOKERS IN CONGRESS AMIRITE

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

[vitriolic derail-starting political/religious commentary]

as a mother

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

YaketySass posted:

What was that saying? I think it was "Jesus helps those who help themselves."

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I thought this was over when I started reading it last week, but stuff keeps happening, doesn't it?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

YaketySass posted:

He is literally dead inside.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Kenji: I want to gently caress my teacher! Will you help me?

>Yes
>No

Kenji: Wow why are you such an rear end in a top hat?

Social Link Reversed

P3 Social Links were terrible

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Golux posted:

I thought this was over when I started reading it last week, but stuff keeps happening, doesn't it?
Just NG+ stuff left.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

>Yes
>No

Social Link Reversed

And he only failed because he's not a protagonist, to boot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

>Yes
>No

Social Link Reversed

One more reason why P3 Portable is superior. The equivalent SLink in the female route is Junpei trying to help you hunt down someone taking creepy pictures of girls in gym class.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

>Yes
>No

Social Link Reversed

To be fair, you're also basically having (or at least encouraging) a flirtatious relationship with one of your own teachers in another Social Link, so Minato isn't the best person to throw shade.

That said, Kenji is a weirdo.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That's not even the worst one.

The worst one is where you agree with a little girl to help her run away from home.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Personas 3-5 have a weird obsession with the whole "forbidden student/teacher relationship" trope.

First off, you have Kenji and his whole "I'm gonna date a teacher!" plan, where you're required to encourage him to pursue it.

Then you have the Hermit link, where it's revealed that "Maya" is your own homeroom teacher, and that she has a crush on you (though she doens't realize that you're the person she's been playing the MMO with). And then at the end when she discovers it was you the whole time, she actually asks you out before retracting it because she realizes it's inappropriate.

Persona 4 appears to subvert this with Kashiwagi, but in the end, it feels more like the game is condemning Kashiwagi herself for being old and having an odious personality than it is condemning the idea of teacher/student relationships.

Then come Persona 5 and your very first story arc is centered around a teacher abusing his position and his power over the students in a horrible way that makes it seem like someone on the team finally realized, "Oh, hey, hosed up power dynamics like this aren't actually cool or sexy and it's actually a really loving horrible thing."

... but then you unlock the Temperance Confidant and it's just... why. :cripes:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 18, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh yeah, about that

next update should be

interesting

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh no. :ohdear:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kawakami rules you cowards. :colbert:
Arist are you doing any of the vacation dates? Or are you just going to post a comp video from the internet? They're all pretty cute tbh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Might as well!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Hashino has a teacher fetish. It's the only reasonable explanation.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
For some reason, all this talk of student teacher romance is making me think of the upcoming Fire Emblem game, where you play a teacher at a military academy (or something close enough), since due to how the support system works, being able to romance one of your students seems quite likely. Can't wait to see people's response to if that turns out to be the case.

And if I'm not wrong, being the teacher in that situation isn't exactly commonly, more commonly you're playing (or are friends with) the student romancing the teacher (outside of hentai anyway, but let's not go into depth on that topic) in games.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Addendum VII: Bad Romance

Today, we’re going to be seeing some of the alternate romance paths we could have taken. “Some.” I don’t have all of them recorded yet, and even if I did it would take a few updates to post them all. So here’s the first two, plus anything else I deem relevant enough to show. I’ll begin from the Rank 9 event where the romance starts, but I’m not going to redo the old stuff because that would just be tedious. We’ll start from where the split comes up, and if you want to reread the stuff before it, I’ll tell you what update it was in so you can check yourself.

Ann Rank 9: Part 161: 11/30

Music: Sunset Bridge

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

…… Maaku… ……

Well, that certainly escalated quickly.

O-Oh, you didn’t? Huh… …… ……

Like, REALLY really!

I-I guess we’re more than just friends now… This is so embarrassing…

...Are you trying to kill me!?
Ann and I spent some time together after she calmed down…

I mean, I’m not helping matters by loving with her, but that was probably the shortest honeymoon phase in history. We’re already having our first fight.

Ann Rank 10: Part 163: 12/6

Ann Romance

The first scene with Mika is identical, so we’ll just skip to the next bit.

……
Ann looks a little nervous…
U-Uhhh…

...Yeah.

Ann looks back and forth nervously.

Back when I met Shiho, when she saved me… I realized that personal relationships are something to be treasured. That’s why I’m not going to run away anymore. I’ll face myself head on. This time, it’s my turn to help someone. But… I’m still kinda worried. Do you think you could help me, Maaku?

You can lean on me too, if you need it…

*giggle* …I feel like we finally see each other eye to eye, Maaku. I’m so glad I met you…
*nod*

Music: Swear to My Bones

Yadda yadda, Persona evolution, whatever

Music: Sweet

Good… I’m so glad…

Huh? It’s over already? We went all the way around… but I didn’t see any scenery.

……

…… …I’ll leave it to you.

I spent a long time with Ann…

Aww, how sweet. We’re Ann’s boyfriend. Time to cheat on her!

First though, we’ll do more exercising. We’re getting a lot of exercise here in NG+ because there’s not a lot of other ways to spend time on days we can’t rank anyone up. The dummy is the third phase of gym exercise, following the treadmill and benchpresses.

Next, we’ll head into Mementos to fill some requests and test ourselves against the twins again for good measure. 3 turns instead of one this time, we’re making some slow progress.

Kawakami Rank 9: Part 118: 10/1

Wait, what? We’re really doing this? Ah, poo poo.

...But you shouldn’t say stuff like that so casually, OK?

Oh yeah, that’s the only problem with where this is headed.

oh noooooooooo

Do you understand what you’re saying? This situation isn’t normal. I’m a teacher, and you’re my student, you know?

You could, for your own part, be a little more opposed to this.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON

N-No way!

Oh.

Wait, um, that’s not what I mean by “no way,” but… whaaat!?

For some reason, the fact that she’s waffling on it and refusing to give me a straight denial is worse than if she’d just said yes.

I mean, you’re both a student and a master, while I’m both a teacher and a maid. This doesn’t make sense!

Yeah, my current state of mind can only be described as “confused horny.”

Right? Let’s save this discussion for next time, OK!?

Coward!

I-I’m going to head home now!

We confessed our attraction to our teacher and made her have a panic attack, I think we still got a chance, guys.

And then the next day she calls on me in class like nothing happened! Stone cold, Sadayo.

While we wait for Kawakami to consider the pros and cons of a life of sin, we go fishing! We didn’t do much of that in the original run, but there’s some nifty bonuses (and a trophy) available here if we do enough of it. I catch seven fish for a total of 290 points, which I use to buy a bunch of Medium Boilie to catch bigger fish on my next trip.

I had something to talk to you about too… As your maid or your teacher, it doesn’t matter. Can I come over right now?

Kawakami Romance (Watch this, Michelle Ruff is really good in this role)

It seems like there’s other reasons you should feel weird about being here, but whatever.

Well, I’m completely done with that part-time job! Oh, and my students! I’ve been giving them all a lot of advice…

Stop avoiding this! We can’t ignore it forever!

...You know, about whether or not we should date.

Wasn’t much of a talk. I said I was into you and then you very justifiably ran away.

Oh thank christ

Maaku’s weird little pout here is great.

I was so happy… When you shared your feelings the other day… I finally realized how I felt.

God dammit

But… I’m a teacher… And you’re my student…

Oh, gently caress it. If we’re doing this let’s just go all loving in.

You’re in a tricky situation as it is. If we get caught, suspension would be just the beginning. I’m restraining myself because you’re so special to me…

No, I’m not. Considering the feelings I have for you…

gently caress yeah! Hell on the Earth forever!

Music: Sunset Bridge

There’s no turning back now…

There sure ain’t!

Or is that the sort of thing a member of the Phantom Thieves is into?

That whole thing with Takase-kun’s guardians worked out way too good for me. And you’re the only one who knew about my situation.

I haven’t lived this long without learning a thing or two, you know. Don’t worry. I have no intention of telling anyone.

That’s sooo you. I just thought you were a problem child with a criminal record… but now I know better.

You’re not just a student to me. You’re someone special who helped me realize my path as a teacher. A new path where I’ll never abandon any of my students…

For my students… and for you!
I feel a strong bond with Kawakami...

S P E C I A L M A S S A G E

Music: Sweet

I went from being a teacher to being a maid to dating a high school student.

And now you’re going to jail! I was actually an undercover cop the whole time!

I’ll obey them, you know… even though I’m no longer a maid.

You know, I went into this thinking I might have been playing up my distaste to this too hard and then Kawakami gets all ~sultry~ and my poor repressed mind just explodes at how hosed this is.

Kawakami… pats her lap. *sigh*

And now I have two girlfriends, one of whom I can’t be seen with under any circumstances! Funny thing, that!

...Stay with you… a little bit longer today?
I spent some time alone with Kawakami…

And that’s Kawakami’s romantic Rank 10 scene. Let us never speak of this again.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 4, 2019

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

So, knowing that this was a thing that was going to happen, I did have a small hope.

I was hoping that she'd say no, but do the cliche "I'll wait for you to 1) be legal, and 2) not be my student anymore" thing.

That'd be a lot more palatable: as is Kawakami got herself conflicted and knows she shouldn't, the part that really sours it imo is that she does the 180 Horny Kickflip.

Ah well. Out of the different relationships with adults, I don't know if it's my least favorite? Egh.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

W.T. Fits posted:

... but then you unlock the Temperance Confidant and it's just... why. :cripes:

Arist posted:

Uh yeah, about that

next update should be

interesting

Arist posted:

But… I’m a teacher… And you’re my student…

Thanks, I hate it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Is it really worse than any of the other relationships in this game? I think you're overreacting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alright these lines are pretty bad.

But that wasn't as terrible as I was expecting. Until she actually does become your girlfriend. I thought she was going to turn you down like the teacher in P3, but still be close with you or something.

You know, bringing up why the relationship wouldn't work and then just going "Ah well, let's do it anyway" only makes it look worse.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I expect twice this much anger and disgust when arist does futaba's romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like dating Futaba isn't quite as weird, even if going out with a person who you just helped develop social skills not that long ago does seem skeevy.

I know it's not the intention of the writers, but it kinda reminds me of how a guy in Hotel Dusk had a crush on a character who was 18-years-old, but then backed off when he found out she was mentally 8-years-old due to trauma/being in a coma for ten years.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 18, 2019