Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol not really, if that was the case my xB would look like a 911. But instead I bought a toaster on wheels because it fit my needs the best for my budget, not because I necessarily like the way it looks.

The percentage of dumb people buying a car based on looks alone is probably high but not that high.

If someone can afford a car I'd place "how it looks and what I imagine myself looking like while driving it" as close to 99% the reason someone picks a car, I do think it's that high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think I'm about to make an irrational choice to buy a 2019/20 STI (ancient EJ and all) even though stuff like the Type R is by all rights the better vehicle. I just don't know if it's better for ME when I already have a BRZ when I want to drive something light on its feet.

Sometimes choices don't make sense on paper.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe if most cars made today had interesting and varying styling I could agree with 99% but In fact most cars have pretty generic styling so I don’t buy it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I think I'm about to make an irrational choice to buy a 2019/20 STI (ancient EJ and all) even though stuff like the Type R is by all rights the better vehicle. I just don't know if it's better for ME when I already have a BRZ when I want to drive something light on its feet.

Sometimes choices don't make sense on paper.

STI is so ugly tho, dont do it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Maybe if most cars made today had interesting and varying styling I could agree with 99% but In fact most cars have pretty generic styling so I don’t buy it.

Think lowest common denominator. Interesting is scary.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BraveUlysses posted:

STI is so ugly tho, dont do it

I actually like the styling of the current WRX. I would get it will the lip spoiler though, not the wing.

I just think roads around here would utterly destroy the type R (not that I can actually buy one for MSRP anyways) and this is going to be a vehicle I drive in the winter.

My full list of impossible requirements are:
Sub 6 sec 0-60
Manual
Heated Seats
Fully keyless entry/push button start
Non halogen lights
Hatch

AWD is preferred but not necessarily required.

Golf R is really the only thing that meets all the requirements and I plan on test driving one, but I literally fall asleep looking at it. Otherwise, I either ditch the manual, ditch the hatch, or ditch some creature comforts.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

The more I see Land Cruisers driving around my neighborhood, the more I think "yeah, that seems like a pretty practical way of moving my family around the neighborhood and occasionally going to home depot."

They're neat, but just so ungodly expensive in the US. Perfect for someone who is well off but doesn't want to show it though.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

If you can't get the upgraded engine with a MT then who the gently caress is actual target audience for the manual option?

In a large chunk of the world, (This is anecdotal from Quebec, France and the UK versus the US and anglo Canada, but I'm extrapolating to the rest of the world anyway) the idea of spending the extra $2000 on your new little utilitarian econobox to get an automatic transmission is seen by many/most as idiotic and a waste of money. Pretty much every base model Yaris, Civic, Golf, etc is going to be a manual, and once you start getting into more luxury sedans you see a lot more automatics since the people buying them are more likely to tick the AT box along with leather seats, sunroof, Bose speakers, etc.

I could be completely full of poo poo though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bull3964 posted:

Golf R is really the only thing that meets all the requirements and I plan on test driving one, but I literally fall asleep looking at it. Otherwise, I either ditch the manual, ditch the hatch, or ditch some creature comforts.

Once you're inside you don't have to look at it. Also you'll stop caring because it's good as all gently caress.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Once you're inside you don't have to look at it. Also you'll stop caring because it's good as all gently caress.

The inside is also a nice place to be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fknlo posted:

The inside is also a nice place to be.

Very true. It could use cooled seats for summer and a heated steering wheel/shift knob for winter, but overall I'd give it 9.5/10.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

fknlo posted:

How many dealers are actually ordering them? I'm guessing around 3 with the rest being special orders. I wanted to find a manual crosstrek to drive at one point to see how miserable it was and had a couple dealers basically laugh at me.

I do see them in manual here in Seattle. I don't have any real scientific proof but as I walk my dog I always look at cars. I even saw a manual 4th gen Forester the other day, but that's a pretty rare sight by my recollection.

edit: The other day I saw a manual V6 hatch first-gen Mazda 6. Pretty sure the take rate on that was very low. Mazda said 1% for the wagon at least back in the day.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

PT6A posted:

Apparently the manual take rate on VW's Golf-based crossovers is in the range of 40% in Canada. I would absolutely not have guessed that but it makes me happy.

VW are a premium (not luxury) brand with a lot of fans, most people here drive a VW because they wanted one, not because it was the cheapest (Korean and American poo poo) or recommended by Consumer Reports (Japanese), but because they care about what they drive. The only other mainstream brand here along the same lines is Mazda, and they’re just starting to move into premium territory.

This is a fun thread, but keep in mind that this is an insular thread on an insular minor forum and that a lot of the internal culture here is stupid as hell. This thread/forum does not reflect reality.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

I actually like the styling of the current WRX. I would get it will the lip spoiler though, not the wing.

I just think roads around here would utterly destroy the type R (not that I can actually buy one for MSRP anyways) and this is going to be a vehicle I drive in the winter.

Sub 6 sec 0-60
Manual
Heated Seats
Non halogen lights
Hatch

Well no hatch but it's even better really, you can put infinitely tall stuff in it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only thing you can't put in a Miata is me. I literally do not fit, it's not possible for me to drive one. 6'3" with 36" inseam.

Every year I get in one at the car show and every year I'm reminded that when I cram myself in one, I can't really effectively operate the controls and the top of the windshield frame is nearly in my eyeline.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The only thing you can't put in a Miata is me. I literally do not fit, it's not possible for me to drive one. 6'3" with 36" inseam.

Every year I get in one at the car show and every year I'm reminded that when I cram myself in one, I can't really effectively operate the controls and the top of the windshield frame is nearly in my eyeline.

So what you need is a lowered blown Escalade with a manual then?

:v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wheeee posted:

VW are a premium (not luxury) brand with a lot of fans, most people here drive a VW because they wanted one, not because it was the cheapest (Korean and American poo poo) or recommended by Consumer Reports (Japanese), but because they care about what they drive. The only other mainstream brand here along the same lines is Mazda, and they’re just starting to move into premium territory.

This is a fun thread, but keep in mind that this is an insular thread on an insular minor forum and that a lot of the internal culture here is stupid as hell. This thread/forum does not reflect reality.

I guess that kind of makes sense, but following that same logic you'd expect the manual take rate on the G70, for example, to be a lot higher than it is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So what you need is a lowered blown Escalade with a manual then?

:v:

Oh hell no. I fit just fine in normal cars, I've had a helmet on in my WRX before without issue. Just Miatas are abnormally small.

I fit in a lotus Elise better than a Miata.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Miatas are extremely loving small, even compared to other very small cars, in my experience.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm 6 foot and fit in them just fine, some of you guys are just drat big.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Sub 6 sec 0-60
Manual
Heated Seats
Non halogen lights
Hatch

Focus RS, Canadian market Veloster N, 4 banger Kia Stinger with the manual transmission from the G70 swapped in :v:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 17, 2019

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Another reason why the take rate on the manual G70's in Canada is that Genesis Canada is absolute garbage.

Pretty sure I've ranted about my experience to even test drive one a few months ago.

Edit: Phone posting

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

PT6A posted:

I guess that kind of makes sense, but following that same logic you'd expect the manual take rate on the G70, for example, to be a lot higher than it is.

Vastly different audiences.

It's like all the internet talk about the Stinger comparing it to Audis, when almost nobody considering an Audi is going to give a gently caress about a cheaper Korean version.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Vastly different audiences.

It's like all the internet talk about the Stinger comparing it to Audis, when almost nobody considering an Audi is going to give a gently caress about a cheaper Korean version.

I did, but I don't give a gently caress about badging on my daily.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Tying it to the 4 banger doesn't help. The type of person that is going to want a manual is probably going to want the bigger engine as well. I know that's my position and I know I'm not alone there.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

BraveUlysses posted:

i have no idea why i want a 4runner to replace my wife's cx-5 but thankfully im not dumb enough to actually go through with it

I've been shopping 4Runners to replace my Explorer and I've been pretty happy with them.
Didn't really find it cramped, and it felt like it drove just fine.

And it's square. SUVs are supposed to be square dammit :argh:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kreez posted:

In a large chunk of the world, (This is anecdotal from Quebec, France and the UK versus the US and anglo Canada, but I'm extrapolating to the rest of the world anyway) the idea of spending the extra $2000 on your new little utilitarian econobox to get an automatic transmission is seen by many/most as idiotic and a waste of money. Pretty much every base model Yaris, Civic, Golf, etc is going to be a manual, and once you start getting into more luxury sedans you see a lot more automatics since the people buying them are more likely to tick the AT box along with leather seats, sunroof, Bose speakers, etc.

Yeah, but the problem is that this isn't true even a little bit for the US market.

Automatics are the default at every price point. I'm willing to bet that the number of people choosing a MT in the US to save money is so small that it might as well effectively be zero, even compared to the already tiny number of people that drive stick here to begin with. If you're buying a MT in the US, it's because you want one, and if that's not true then you are an outlier among outliers.

The Mazda 6 is kind of a perfect example of this weird as hell mismatch with the US market. The base Mazda 6 with a MT was around $22k. Nobody was pinching so many pennies on a Mazda 6 that they were ditching an AT just to save a few bucks. Hell, you probably couldn't even find one on a Mazda dealership's lot to begin with. The only people who could conceivably want a Mazda 6 with a MT are people who actually want to drive one, and those same people are going to want the turbo engine. Except Mazda only offered the upgraded engine with an AT, so instead nobody bought Mazda 6s with MTs at all.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm 6 foot and fit in them just fine, some of you guys are just drat big.

Some people are weirdly huge. I'm 6'1", 190 and I'd heard an NB was absolutely tiny and there was no way I'd fit. I got in one and it was like the proverbial glass slipper... I've never gotten into a car that has fitted so perfectly in every way.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, but the problem is that this isn't true even a little bit for the US market.

Automatics are the default at every price point. I'm willing to bet that the number of people choosing a MT in the US to save money is so small that it might as well effectively be zero, even compared to the already tiny number of people that drive stick here to begin with. If you're buying a MT in the US, it's because you want one, and if that's not true then you are an outlier among outliers.

The Mazda 6 is kind of a perfect example of this weird as hell mismatch with the US market. The base Mazda 6 with a MT was around $22k. Nobody was pinching so many pennies on a Mazda 6 that they were ditching an AT just to save a few bucks. Hell, you probably couldn't even find one on a Mazda dealership's lot to begin with. The only people who could conceivably want a Mazda 6 with a MT are people who actually want to drive one, and those same people are going to want the turbo engine. Except Mazda only offered the upgraded engine with an AT, so instead nobody bought Mazda 6s with MTs at all.

Right but what I wrote explains the existence of these cars in the global marketplace, and since they exist anyway they may as well offer them in the US. At no point is anyone sitting around the table at Mazda deciding to offer a manual on the base model 6 because there's a target market for it in the US, the car just happens to exist already so why not throw it up on the webpage. If the turbo-engined Mazda6 had a worldwide demand for a manual option large enough to make Mazda spend the money on the tooling required, they'd presumably offer it in the US as well, but the demand for that specific combo is limited to car enthusiasts, and there really just aren't enough of those any more (who buy cars anyway) to make anything fun happen, so that combo just doesn't happen anywhere.

I know nothing about the auto industry at all, I'm just spitballing. The actual reason for this is probably related to some obscure tax between Japan and Peru that's been in place since pre colombian times that inexplicably has a massive effect on the global auto transmission market.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think this is the new grand wagoneer?

obv chevy rebadge, but they still say it has an international 6.6 liter turbodiesel v8.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Looks like a new BMW based on the grille.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kreez posted:

Right but what I wrote explains the existence of these cars in the global marketplace, and since they exist anyway they may as well offer them in the US. At no point is anyone sitting around the table at Mazda deciding to offer a manual on the base model 6 because there's a target market for it in the US, the car just happens to exist already so why not throw it up on the webpage. If the turbo-engined Mazda6 had a worldwide demand for a manual option large enough to make Mazda spend the money on the tooling required, they'd presumably offer it in the US as well, but the demand for that specific combo is limited to car enthusiasts, and there really just aren't enough of those any more (who buy cars anyway) to make anything fun happen, so that combo just doesn't happen anywhere.

I know nothing about the auto industry at all, I'm just spitballing. The actual reason for this is probably related to some obscure tax between Japan and Peru that's been in place since pre colombian times that inexplicably has a massive effect on the global auto transmission market.

Certification requirements (environmental & safety) are different between North America and the rest of the world. It doesn't make sense to try and certify a car for U.S. rules if you can't sell it. It's too expensive. Although Mazda did certify the Mazda2 but only sells it in Puerto Rico.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I thought the Yaris is the mazda 2 now?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BloodBag posted:

It is, but only in sedan form, not hatchback. There's one option to get a Hatchback Mazda 2in the USA, and it's Puerto Rico. https://jalopnik.com/here-is-how-you-an-american-can-legally-own-a-mazda-2-1827293464

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

True they probably did it to sell as the Scion iA. I guess certification probably works across brands? Also Wikipedia says they were going to launch it in Canada but cancelled that which I didn't remember. But yeah for MY2020 all Yaris are Mazda 2 now, including hatchback. Auto only though.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

I think this is the new grand wagoneer?

obv chevy rebadge, but they still say it has an international 6.6 liter turbodiesel v8.

Finally, the compact truck segment is making a comeback!

I watch traffic go by on my lunch break sometimes (very busy road, where I90 meets I87) and my god it's a neverending dismal river of grayscale CUVs. I know it's old hat to complain about it (cars are stupidly expensive, everyone hates driving but is forced to etc) but outside of the occasional mustang or brodozer it's like East Germany out there. Yes, sir, I know exactly what vehicle perfectly suits me sitting in traffic for 2 hours at 5pm every day, this here silver Nissan Rogue. Can't wait to get this baby out and see how she handles that 4 to 24 mph sprint!

I saw an orange car, once. Orange!

e: sorry, it was a school bus

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 17, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

It is, but only in sedan form, not hatchback. There's one option to get a Hatchback Mazda 2in the USA, and it's Puerto Rico. https://jalopnik.com/here-is-how-you-an-american-can-legally-own-a-mazda-2-1827293464

Holy poo poo I really want to do this

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Charles posted:

Certification requirements (environmental & safety) are different between North America and the rest of the world. It doesn't make sense to try and certify a car for U.S. rules if you can't sell it. It's too expensive. Although Mazda did certify the Mazda2 but only sells it in Puerto Rico.

Right, that's my whole argument, that they're developing and certifying base model manuals for sale in Quebec (and PR, and maybe other small markets aligned with the US for certification if there are any, I don't know) where they'll sell enough base model manuals to make up for the costs of certification and tooling and what not. Since they have them developed and certified anyway, may as well sell them across NA.

In no market will they sell enough manuals on higher level engines/trims to make up for the costs, so we don't see them anywhere.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 17, 2019

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Okay, guys. I’m getting the M340i. Thanks for helping me with the sober second thought. I think I’ll lease it though. If the reliability sucks I’ll trade it in for a sporty Honda Civic or Toyota or wait for an LCI and buy that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does Toyota sell the Mazda Yaris with a manual? Because I would like to get a feel for the car with the skyactiv engine in it, I would hope it has more power than the last Mazda 2.