Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Meallan posted:

I know that there is no way the game is going in that direction but ZIeks would have been my favourite prosecutor of all time if each time he lost he just somehow killed all defendants. Like HOLLY HELL

I liked that Naruhodou did seriously consider this as a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

Yeah, it's jarring how he immediately regresses back to being a cold-sweating, defeatist goofball the moment he becomes the titular protagonist again.

I mean he did seem kinda dickish in the flashback trial in 4. I prefer him goofy as opposed to just being Miles Edgeworth But On Defence.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That problem of how to reconcile his two personalities is not easily solvable, which is why he just shouldn't be playable anymore.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Did he really change all that much though? I feel that other people stating before about how when we hear his monologue he's a lot more nervous/despairing than how other people perceive him... in AA4 it was us seeing him externally, and seeing how he's perceived by others. I don't think his personality shifted all that much, but then I'm still only part-way through SoJ (I hosed up my DS and had to start from scratch so I'm still just about to start the third case).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Eh, I’ve always felt like AA5/6 Mentor NPC Phoenix is at least believable as a progression from good old Hobo Nick since that version had a good reason to be hella jaded/laconic, but playable Phoenix sort of feels like a bit of a regression, yeah

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I suppose I'll see how he behaves in 6-3 before making any further comments, but I thought his actions in 6-1 match up pretty well.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Eh, I’ve always felt like AA5/6 Mentor NPC Phoenix is at least believable as a progression from good old Hobo Nick since that version had a good reason to be hella jaded/laconic, but playable Phoenix sort of feels like a bit of a regression, yeah

This.
The biggest difference between Nick and AA4 Nick was the amount of experience/confidence he had (well, if you ignore the whole fake evidence thing).

I could see some similarities between AA4 Nick and AA5 Nick when you're not playing as him and you don't really know what is going through his head. I think Nick as playable character should be left for DLC cases, if they are hard enough you can believe that no matter the amount of experience any attorney would have a hard time with them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Meallan posted:

This.
The biggest difference between Nick and AA4 Nick was the amount of experience/confidence he had (well, if you ignore the whole fake evidence thing).

I could see some similarities between AA4 Nick and AA5 Nick when you're not playing as him and you don't really know what is going through his head. I think Nick as playable character should be left for DLC cases, if they are hard enough you can believe that no matter the amount of experience any attorney would have a hard time with them.

I mean 5-DLC Nick was incredible, and brought back memories of 1-4 for obvious reasons.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

God, the last interrogation in AAI 1 Does. Not. End.

How hard can it be to break an old man?!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fun fact: "Quercus alba" is the scientific name for the white oak, a long-lived hardwood tree known for being especially hard to chop down

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RandomFerret posted:

Fun fact: "Quercus alba" is the scientific name for the white oak, a long-lived hardwood tree known for being especially hard to chop down

It's also Latin for "annoying loving rear end in a top hat who just doesn't stop", weirdly enough.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I remember basically nothing of AAI except how loving interminable that last interrogation is.

And the sleepy air hostess.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oldbag and Larry turn up all the time.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dragonatrix posted:

Oldbag and Larry turn up all the time.

Ugh it's all coming back to me now. And the flying statue. And a fat kid getting kidnapped?

And little Franziska :3:

I might replay it one day, but it's about as far down my list as JFA.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The only really good case in AAI is 4, because the von karma siblings have a fantastic dynamic that I wish we could see more of

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
thinking about that blue badger edgeworth CG

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

God, the last interrogation in AAI 1 Does. Not. End.

How hard can it be to break an old man?!

I wouldn't have minded so much if the last several interrogations didn't go so far out of their way to spell out what the next contradiction was

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the Apollo trilogy does a fair job of keeping Phoenix' insecurity to his inner monologue, which does make him come off as more cool and collected than he really is.

Though I do dislike just how frequently any of the protagonists get flustered. Every single time someone questions your reasoning, someone has to let out a loud scream, sweat bullets, get scolded by the judge/prosecutor/sidekick or all of the above, often multiple times between each testimony. I feel like the older games had way more instances where characters would have a reasonable back and forth piecing together the contradiction, or moving on to the next testimony without much fuss.

I'm also replaying SoJ, and I really hate how they insist on upping the stakes each game. Nearly half the dialogue in 6-1 is the judge and prosecutor haw-hawing about how they'll mutilate or execute Phoenix, or the gallery egging them on. It's beyond gratuitous.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's the whole concept of SoJ though, you're taking on a country that's corrupt to its very core. It's cool and they do a lot with it in the story. I don't see it as just upping the stakes for its own sake.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
It's kinda a pain in the rear end if you just want to solve murders though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm perfectly fine with just solving murders, but if they're going to tell overarching stories I'd much rather have good, well thought out, and integrated stories like SoJ and not like AJ and DD.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Yeah, but I'm sure they can write the story without making the player go through DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH and dozens of unfunny threats about how the lawyers are going to hell.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't object to the greater plot conceit, but it'd be nice if, once in a while, the prosecution could raise an objection that didn't immediately lead to someone threatening to kill or mutilate you. I'm pretty sure nobody's going to forget what Khu'rain's deal is even if the justice system limited itself to something like three or five death threats a day.

It's less of a pain in the domestic cases, because the times where Nahyuta explicitly describes the goofy torture you'll suffer are sorta cute, and the first one ends on him being called a huge pile of bullshit by Apollo and sulking off.

Apollo is good people.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

thinking about that blue badger edgeworth CG

Topping Dahlia exorcism for the list of “reasons you shouldn’t play these games at 1 in the morning” is

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Just finished SoJ case 1. What I thought was good: And'istandhin' is pretty hilarious and I think the visuals are really impressive, and the speed metal testimony was something else too. Rayfa is cute and good especially when the facade breaks and she just teenage-sasses you as she gets dragged offstage. And Shah'do the dog is also incredibly cute aaah who's a good boy

What I'm not as sure about : I... really didn't expect Khu'rain to basically be Tibet/a western China-esque-inspired region ripped from the headlines; as was already discussed earlier the constant threat of deaths and mutilation does really put me off, and I admit I'm nervous about it going in the direction of "foreign saviour comes in to tell the locals how law should be done, fixes things for them". I'll have to see more I guess.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm glad for the constant escalation because it means soon we'll have nowhere to go but SPACE ATTORNEY

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dual destinies did that one already

How many mysterious backstories and dead dads is this boy allowed to have?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

I'm glad for the constant escalation because it means soon we'll have nowhere to go but SPACE ATTORNEY

AA7 starts with Phoenix waterskiing over a shark backwards through a comical series of mishaps.

His only injury is a slightly sprained pinky toe.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Dual destinies did that one too, in the dlc

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

Merilan posted:

Just finished SoJ case 1. What I thought was good: And'istandhin' is pretty hilarious and I think the visuals are really impressive, and the speed metal testimony was something else too. Rayfa is cute and good especially when the facade breaks and she just teenage-sasses you as she gets dragged offstage. And Shah'do the dog is also incredibly cute aaah who's a good boy

What I'm not as sure about : I... really didn't expect Khu'rain to basically be Tibet/a western China-esque-inspired region ripped from the headlines; as was already discussed earlier the constant threat of deaths and mutilation does really put me off, and I admit I'm nervous about it going in the direction of "foreign saviour comes in to tell the locals how law should be done, fixes things for them". I'll have to see more I guess.

I think the next case in Khu'rain will allay your fears somewhat.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Though I do dislike just how frequently any of the protagonists get flustered. Every single time someone questions your reasoning, someone has to let out a loud scream, sweat bullets, get scolded by the judge/prosecutor/sidekick or all of the above, often multiple times between each testimony.

My sole complaint about Ryu's animations in DGS is how often the "thrown against the wall" animation is used. I get a bit annoyed how even small setbacks get that big a reaction, especially when everything else is so well done (as Ryu gets more experienced he does the shifty eyes less and less, and it only comes back when he's winging it or very very stressed, it's so neat).

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
Not everyone can be as graceful as Susato.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Meallan posted:

My sole complaint about Ryu's animations in DGS is how often the "thrown against the wall" animation is used. I get a bit annoyed how even small setbacks get that big a reaction, especially when everything else is so well done (as Ryu gets more experienced he does the shifty eyes less and less, and it only comes back when he's winging it or very very stressed, it's so neat).

In the later cases he would do it when not only I had figured out the next step but really he had too, so that was pretty silly.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

busysignal posted:

I think the next case in Khu'rain will allay your fears somewhat.

Thanks for this, I'm looking forward to it!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Spirit of Justice does a good job sidestepping the issue in a neat way and I demand a post SoJ Apollo spinoff.

Shame the prosecutor sucks all the way through.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sahdmadhi sucks and Ema deserves better

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

"We now resume the trial of Freeza Cold. Does the defense have their opening statement prepared?"

"Yes your honor. It's impossible for my client to have blown up Planet Vegeta..."

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bloody Pom posted:

Yeah, it's jarring how he immediately regresses back to being a cold-sweating, defeatist goofball the moment he becomes the titular protagonist again.

I recall him still being a goofball in his internal narration in the final case of 4 when he's HoboPhoenix. He just hides it well.

They still went too far into making him behave like a rookie in DD and SoJ, though. They trick you into thinking he's significantly more competent in the first case of DD then by the final two and SoJ he's almost back to his trilogy persona again, to the point where even Edgeworth lampshades it in 5-5. It's disappointing and I know they won't bother "fixing" that in future titles since I don't see them making another game where he isn't a playable main character again.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

SoJ's case 1 feels really bizarre in that sense because he literally says "I have ten years of experience" but then he's back to internally monologuing about bluffing and hoping something falls on his lap, even in the moments where it's in the Court Record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Merilan posted:

SoJ's case 1 feels really bizarre in that sense because he literally says "I have ten years of experience" but then he's back to internally monologuing about bluffing and hoping something falls on his lap, even in the moments where it's in the Court Record.

Yeah, ten years of doing exactly that.