Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They acknowledged that Mario 1 stages would be boring as all hell when compared to the others and that's why they included the ? Mushrooms, so taking them out seems really stupid and is actually a bit upsetting :( . I liked making themed levels.

I know the reason is because of online play but still.

who acknowledged that? SMB1 style is fine and I saw some of the best stages in that template in SMM1. On the inverse of that p much every level using the New Super Mario Bros theme was total dogshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love playing on the SMB1 style even without the costumes. I find it fun to see how they SMB1ify elements that came later.

I was never really a fan of the costumes since most of the levels I’d play that featured them were mostly boring corridors.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love playing on the SMB1 style even without the costumes. I find it fun to see how they SMB1ify elements that came later.

I was never really a fan of the costumes since most of the levels I’d play that featured them were mostly boring corridors.

I made one level with a Jigglypuff costume and named it like the level was Kirby themed just to watch the "that's not Kirby" miiverse comments pile up. RIP costumes.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

J-Spot posted:

- Ice Flower and other power ups in general
- Ability to queue up your own stages or bookmarked/downloaded stages in online multiplayer co-op mode
- Blue Yoshi
- Ability to reupload levels without losing stars and comments
- Pokey (come on Nintendo how can we have desert stages without Pokey?)

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me why there isn't a Mario Paint music editor for custom music in the game.

It would be the smallest and easiest to add feature that would offer the most creativity and additional functionality to the game, at very little real-estate cost server wise. Hell, they could even add an upload feature to share music rather than binding it on a level-by-level basis.

Like, how is Nintendo blind to this?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Hell, I don’t know why Nintendo didn’t add some kind of sprite editor. It would be cool as poo poo if certain 2D sprite had ‘skins’ that you could edit and use. I would also love some custom backdrops

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

g0lbez posted:

who acknowledged that? SMB1 style is fine and I saw some of the best stages in that template in SMM1. On the inverse of that p much every level using the New Super Mario Bros theme was total dogshit

I don't know that I ever saw a pattern between tileset and the quality of the level design, but I know one thing for absolute certain: SMB3 and SMW were underused

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrManiac posted:

Hell, I don’t know why Nintendo didn’t add some kind of sprite editor. It would be cool as poo poo if certain 2D sprite had ‘skins’ that you could edit and use. I would also love some custom backdrops

You have to limit that kind of creativity on any platform kids will be playing. However, I don't see how a Mario Paint music editor could backfire in any conceivable way. You could add the option to disable custom music on any level you play that has just junk/spam for the music.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I don't know that I ever saw a pattern between tileset and the quality of the level design, but I know one thing for absolute certain: SMB3 and SMW were underused
Yeah, I know I used those two the least myself. I did a lot of SMB1 levels because it usually felt like the best fit for my ideas, and then the runner up was NSMB. I realize that one is not the most aesthetically pleasing to a lot of people but the wall jump, spin jump, and mid-air twirl are all great mechanics and you're stuck with that theme if you want to use them. SMB3 doesn't really have anything unique going for it so it's not surprising that it's the least used style.

I think NSMB is the one little kids are most likely going to be drawn to, so if it seems like there's more bad levels in that style that's probably the reason.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 17, 2019

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

BabyRyoga posted:

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me why there isn't a Mario Paint music editor for custom music in the game.

It would be the smallest and easiest to add feature that would offer the most creativity and additional functionality to the game, at very little real-estate cost server wise. Hell, they could even add an upload feature to share music rather than binding it on a level-by-level basis.

Like, how is Nintendo blind to this?

I'm for it but only if you get an option to turn off custom music. I think being subjected to Mario Paint style midis for hours at a time would be excruciating

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

BabyRyoga posted:

You have to limit that kind of creativity on any platform kids will be playing. However, I don't see how a Mario Paint music editor could backfire in any conceivable way. You could add the option to disable custom music on any level you play that has just junk/spam for the music.

Remember when they let you add voice clips but then when you uploaded the level they turned into bird chirps. I played a level called King of the Hill that had like 20 custom voice clips, and it made me sad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DalaranJ posted:

Remember when they let you add voice clips but then when you uploaded the level they turned into bird chirps. I played a level called King of the Hill that had like 20 custom voice clips, and it made me sad.

"BOGGLE?!"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
drat this game is gonna own

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
The direct got me hyped enough to boot up SMM and try to get all the Mystery Mushroom outfits.

Did an Expert run and the stage quality is much better than I remember. Dunno if it's because Super Expert absorbed all the poo poo.

I've noticed a good tactic is to look for stages with names you'd want an actual stage in a real game to have. Like if it's called "Koopa Canyon" or "Toads Big Adventure" or whatever, they've probably just made a normal, challenging stage with proper design (or at least an ttempt at good design). If the name is nonsense, the stage probably is too.

Of course this goes out the window if it's in Japanese

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Everything they've shown looks loving great, disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a world editor though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If not a world editor, was there anything in the video that alluded to a level linking system or anything like that?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

If not a world editor, was there anything in the video that alluded to a level linking system or anything like that?
Nope.

Sudden Javelin posted:

Did an Expert run and the stage quality is much better than I remember. Dunno if it's because Super Expert absorbed all the poo poo.
I’ve read that 100 Mario heavily favors creators who have logged in recently so at this point I imagine you’d see a lot from the most dedicated users. We’ll be back to playing levels from 5 year olds once 2 comes out.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

DrManiac posted:

I'm thinking of the old Worms games where you could make custom gravestones and there were tons of dicks and balls and butts and turds and butts making GBS threads out turds

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Yeah why didn't Nintendo give me an avenue to put an inhuman amount of dicks into the game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like that you can turn off screen scroll with the big line of blocks, but I hope that means you won't get any outside interference.

Like if I place a Bowser on the other side of where the screen scrolls, I don't want him shooting his wallhack fireballs into the bonus room off screen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like that you can turn off screen scroll with the big line of blocks, but I hope that means you won't get any outside interference.

Like if I place a Bowser on the other side of where the screen scrolls, I don't want him shooting his wallhack fireballs into the bonus room off screen.

I think just after they show the construction of that wall, they cut to someone playing it, and you can juuuuuust make out a koopa nose in the bottom right before it obviously turns around and walks away. At least I caught that last night, haven't rewatched it yet.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay. So here’s a good question. Now that we have a lot more details on the new features, what level are you most excited to make (or play)?

I think the first level I have a plan for is a remake of my level that was entirely platforms on tracks, but this time I’ll add in on/off switch tracks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

hybrid water levels/literally anything in the 3D world style

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm gonna remake all my old levels because much like Nintendo I'm out of ideas and not enough people appreciated my Wii U output :smug:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Argue posted:

I'm gonna remake all my old levels because much like Nintendo I'm out of ideas and not enough people appreciated my Wii U output :smug:

Just update them all for coop, and no one will notice. That’s my plan.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm almost sad there are so many 3D World exclusive assets, because a lot of the enemies and items would be awesome in other level types. I guess you kind of need it to make the setup stand out compared to NSMB levels, though.

I do hope this'll mean we get Super Mario Bros 2 or Yoshi's Island style levels too, though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i hope the 3d world style has all the movement options that were in 3d world

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DalaranJ posted:

Okay. So here’s a good question. Now that we have a lot more details on the new features, what level are you most excited to make (or play)?

I think the first level I have a plan for is a remake of my level that was entirely platforms on tracks, but this time I’ll add in on/off switch tracks.

I’ll probably port the only level I published on 1 and add some slopes plus make it longer. I plan on making most of my levels in the SMW style. I hope a lot of you remake levels since I remember playing a lot of fun goon levels years ago.

I’ll definitely play through story mode first. It looks awesome and is something I didn’t know I wanted.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm going to faithfully recreate my best level from the first game, and then I'm going to make a vertical level that autoscrolls downward.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm hype about hybrid land/water levels because I love building lush jungle environments

Apartheid Fan's Favorite Lake

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I never played SMM because I was one of the 5.7 billion people who didn't buy a Wii U, so this'll be all new to me (minus a few periods of messing around with ROM hacking back in the day).

I'll probably start off with remaking some levels from obscure or unappreciated games like Super Mario Land 1 or Super Mario Bros. Special, or maybe I'll start such a remake and take a sharp turn into assholeville halfway through... I dunno.

Maybe I'll play around with using the ON/OFF switches to recreate the versus race stages from SMB1 DX on the GBC? There's plenty of things to study to think about good Mario level design...

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I'm not sure if those climbing fences are going to be in Super Mario World though it looks like they're in 3D World. Would love to create a vertical level sort of like the sub-area of Bowser's Castle in SMW. Gotta climb and fight your way to the top!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

There's so much to do in this game that it's going to be hard to spread my time across everything I want to do. Story mode will probably come first if you need to play it to unlock stuff, but I've got a ton of ideas that I've been writing down since the game was announced and I'm sure more will come to me once I get a feel for all the new stuff. I've already hooked up my Wii U and started running through my old levels to identify tweaks I can make to improve them. Then of course there's going to be endless mode, multiplayer, and all the goon levels I'm going to want to play.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gonna make a long tower stage. In the main world it will have sectioned off pieces to stop screen scrolling and a pipe.

Use the Pipe to create a inside the tower illusion with the background and you have to climb up. Enter a pipe at the end of the first chunk and your back outside for a checkpoint flag. Enter the tower again and it resumes.

Idea is to add stuff like clouds the higher up you go, ice blocks etc.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love watching people play creative mario maker levels

carl sagan and a bunch of people make levels for GDQ mario maker races, I think he raced on this one so he probably didn't do these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_8L2uYuRW4

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The one I've had cooking up in my head is a snowy night level that transitions from a verticle mountain climb into a horizontal 'skiing' course using downwards slopes.

The desert night theme is just begging for a bullshit Lost Levels athletics course where the gales throw you off your jumps.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

multijoe posted:

The one I've had cooking up in my head is a snowy night level that transitions from a verticle mountain climb into a horizontal 'skiing' course using downwards slopes.

that sounds really fun

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm looking at my old levels and wishing I pestered streamers to play them more because "man I made some good levels in the past, I wish I could see them again" :downs:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

multijoe posted:

sounds like a good use for that new shell powerup you can slide around in

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm looking at my old levels and wishing I pestered streamers to play them more because "man I made some good levels in the past, I wish I could see them again" :downs:

Remake them with a slope or 2 thrown in and you could pester them with the new game.:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

g0lbez posted:

sounds like a good use for that new shell powerup you can slide around in

That's a nice idea, it would basically be a toboggan!