Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

andrew smash posted:

They do. The male anophelii have butthole mouths but their spoken language is described as whistling and hooting sounds iirc. So a kind of fart I guess

I guess it depends on if you focus on the language smelling like a fart or sounding/looking like a fart. I stand corrected - there are deeper nuances to bugfolk fart speak than I remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Additional study is required.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Not going to lie, all I could picture for the Anopheles-guys in the Scar were these dudes:

I'm not entirely convinced that China didn't use them as the basis either.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

Not going to lie, all I could picture for the Anopheles-guys in the Scar were these dudes:

unfortunately all i could think about was normal dudes who have anuses for mouths

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

mitochondritom posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Futurama: Bender's Big Score (or Bender's Big Score) is a 2007 American direct-to-video...

Wikipedia posted:

The Scar (novel)

Publication date: June 2002

🤔

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This thread is a glittering panorama of things I never, ever want to put into google image search

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

unfortunately all i could think about was normal dudes who have anuses for mouths

that's a subcategory on xhamster now

not any of the other ones, just xhamster for some reason

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just finished a reread of The Scar and while i said earlier that PSS was eminently unfilmable, i think The Scar might actually be perfectly suitable for adaptation

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I really like everything about the scar for filming except uther. I don't think he even really worked on the page, on the screen what nuance he has will vanish and he will end up a generic "brooding man with dark backstory who owns everyone with a magic sword" figure

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That's very true but I'd give a toe to watch someone play an even B-tier adaptation of the Brucolac.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I want to watch The Scar filmed and created in the same style as Mad Max Fury Road

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

andrew smash posted:

I really like everything about the scar for filming except uther. I don't think he even really worked on the page, on the screen what nuance he has will vanish and he will end up a generic "brooding man with dark backstory who owns everyone with a magic sword" figure

all you need to do to fix uther is cast alexander skaarsgard

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Quandary posted:

I want to watch The Scar filmed and created in the same style as Mad Max Fury Road

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A film version of the Armada vs Morning Walker et al battle would be just lovely.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Quandary posted:

"I live! I die! I live again!" would work as a quote for Hedrigall and the Brucolac, come to think of it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It would finally give me the duncleosteus action scene I've always wanted to see. (O come on we know what a "bonefish" is, don't lie.)

Also now I'm imagining Dominic West as Tanner Sack and that owns pretty hard.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

scary ghost dog posted:

just finished a reread of The Scar and while i said earlier that PSS was eminently unfilmable, i think The Scar might actually be perfectly suitable for adaptation

I think it'd be really hard to capture the wtf moment at the end when Bellis realizes that Uther either manipulated her or else is just a terrifying improviser. It's a very The Usual Suspects kind of revelation.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I think it'd be really hard to capture the wtf moment at the end when Bellis realizes that Uther either manipulated her or else is just a terrifying improviser. It's a very The Usual Suspects kind of revelation.

its very confusing for sure. but u could just make her letters voiceovers and it would work

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
You might as well change the ending if you are going to adapt it, it is absolutely the worst part of the book.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The folks who made the first season of American Gods could probably do a decent job with the Scar. The budget though, Christ.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I want Robert Sheehan to play Brucolac

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oasx posted:

You might as well change the ending if you are going to adapt it, it is absolutely the worst part of the book.

even if its the worst part idk how it could be changed to be better

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Oasx posted:

Can you elaborate as to why you don't like it?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

The Scar would be an incredible movie.

I think PSS might be too dense and weird to film at the moment though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

its very anticlimactic.....the titular scar is only seen in a might-have-been. in reality armada turns around right before reaching it, after spending the whole book seeking it......however, the attempted mutiny right before is very thrilling

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Yeah, endings super colour my point of view on a book, and The Scar's ending is really loving bad. I actually liked it of all his book's the least, and I guess I was surprised when I found out I was definitely in the minority on that front.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pseudanonymous posted:

I hate it when at the end of a book/movie/tv show the author suddenly turns around and tells me that everything he got me to care about was false. Pretty much the entire plot of the book is about people tricking Bellis, and thereby the reader into thinking something is happening, and it turns out to be a ruse. It in many ways makes the entire book feel like a practical joke, and for everything you read to be pointless.

I still think the book is great, and these days I can mostly ignore the bad ending, but it still contributes to me thinking that it is the weakest Bas-Lag book by far.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Oasx posted:

I hate it when at the end of a book/movie/tv show the author suddenly turns around and tells me that everything he got me to care about was false. Pretty much the entire plot of the book is about people tricking Bellis, and thereby the reader into thinking something is happening, and it turns out to be a ruse. It in many ways makes the entire book feel like a practical joke, and for everything you read to be pointless.

I still think the book is great, and these days I can mostly ignore the bad ending, but it still contributes to me thinking that it is the weakest Bas-Lag book by far.

that's interesting, I think it's the best/strongest of the three personally.

scary ghost dog posted:

its very anticlimactic.....the titular scar is only seen in a might-have-been. in reality armada turns around right before reaching it, after spending the whole book seeking it......however, the attempted mutiny right before is very thrilling

I'd pose this question to both of you, I guess, did you like The Usual Suspects or was that a frustrating shaggydog story for you as well?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think the usual suspects is a bad movie with no plot, yes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive actually not read iron council....hm

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

andrew smash posted:

He needs to be acted in the broadest possible sense, to reflect his Possible Acting, get Nic Cage or something.

e: I'm a vampire, I'm a vampire, I'm a vampire

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pseudanonymous posted:

I'd pose this question to both of you, I guess, did you like The Usual Suspects or was that a frustrating shaggydog story for you as well?

I have not seen that movie, but in general I hate these kinds of endings. Neil Gaiman's American Gods went from good to crap simply because of the ending. It's simply a pet peeve of mine.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Perhaps The Scar is all about the voyage, not the destination. (Ugh.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous posted:

that's interesting, I think it's the best/strongest of the three personally.
It should probably be noted that anticlimax is very much A Thing with Miéville in general. Iron Council ends on one as well, Embassytown kind of fizzles out, The City & The City is basically built around one as most people figure the mystery out mid-book and that pushes the finale into the absurd...

I don't think he ever aimed at a satisfying ending - I know he admitted to hating happy endings that lead to prolonging the status quo and he's got a point there with the whole "why the hell write fantasy if you just want to reaffirm people's views" but I'd say the name of the game is clever disappointment.
And that's perfectly fine.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 20, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I wouldn't say that Embassytown fizzles out and to me it has the strongest ending of all his books since the change at the end is so dramatic. After the resolution of the main plot there's an epilogue but I wouldn't really count that as the main narrative ending of the book. Although I might be biased because Embassytown is by far my favourite of his books.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the ending to Embassytown. The Bas-Lag books and Railsea are the ones with real issues.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tekopo posted:

I wouldn't say that Embassytown fizzles out and to me it has the strongest ending of all his books since the change at the end is so dramatic. After the resolution of the main plot there's an epilogue but I wouldn't really count that as the main narrative ending of the book. Although I might be biased because Embassytown is by far my favourite of his books.

I don't want to say I like it more than the Bas-Lag books, but I think I probably do.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
PSS has an extremely climactic final act

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Oasx posted:

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the ending to Embassytown. The Bas-Lag books and Railsea are the ones with real issues.

I'll agree with you on Bas Lag but Railseas ending was absolutely hillarious and basically a big troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I thought Iron Council's anti-climax was fantastic. It ended with the defeat of the revolution, but an vivid and visceral promise of a future revolution in the form of that incredible frozen train, motionlessly poised to hurtle once more towards the city. It might be because I really liked that image, but I was left really satisfied with Iron Council.

I should mention I also didn't dislike the Scar's ending, but I get that it has way more of a "what even was the point of all this" vibe.