Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Logitech is your best bet for wireless, they're just a step ahead of everyone. The G305 is a really small mouse which can be modified to be slightly lighter than it is. The new G502 lightspeed that just came out might be more what you're looking for feature-wise, but it's pricey and heavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

isndl posted:

Looks like the M510 uses 2x AA batteries, so you could probably find something that uses a single battery and that would shave off a good chunk of weight. The M585/590 is about 20% lighter and is probably your best bet, since everything smaller/lighter seems to be lacking in thumb buttons.

Audax posted:

Logitech is your best bet for wireless, they're just a step ahead of everyone. The G305 is a really small mouse which can be modified to be slightly lighter than it is. The new G502 lightspeed that just came out might be more what you're looking for feature-wise, but it's pricey and heavier.

Cool, thanks guys. The 502 is definitely out of my price range, but I'll look into the others tomorrow. Gonna see if I can go to a nearby physical store where I could maybe feel it in my hand before buying.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Most, if not all of Logitech's new mice can be run on a single battery. Use a lithium one for even more weight savings.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

MX Master. 50eur off Amazon Warehouse DE, has been cheaper.

But the Triathlon shouldn't have weird tracking problems.
Do you think this could be because I just use my table as a mousepad? It's smooth and seems fine for the mouse.

e; for anyone else reading this, I use a Logitech M720 and when I move my mouse far quickly (in an FPS for example) it will spazz out instead of replicating my movement.

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 15, 2019

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Sounds like a spinout, either the sensor is bad or going bad, I didnt look up which one that mouse uses.

I'm done with my tests of the wireless gpro. I really like it. It's the best mouse I've used since I got my g403. I have one problem though. My thumb is too wide for the side where I grip it and it either hits the side button or drags on the mouse pad. The same problem I had with the FK2, but not as bad. I added a strip of grip tape I had and it has alleviated the problem. But that brings me to my final thoughts. Although it's a great mouse I dont think its 100$ better than my para corded 403. I like the weight and performance but my modded 403 is only a couple grams heavier. Given the thumb thing and me liking the 403 side buttons better I dont see the pro replacing it, especially for an extra 100 bucks/quid/schmeckles.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Blowdryer posted:

Do you think this could be because I just use my table as a mousepad? It's smooth and seems fine for the mouse.

e; for anyone else reading this, I use a Logitech M720 and when I move my mouse far quickly (in an FPS for example) it will spazz out instead of replicating my movement.

Can't be sure, but it could very well be a tracking issue due to the combination of surface and sensor. There are wide, desktop-sized mouse mats that are meant to go under the keyboard as well and should provide a superior surface to whatever your tabletop is now. Also, depending on that table, you could damage the surface over time if you run the mouse right on top; I've had [crappy, laminated-particleboard-type] desktops/keyboard trays get damaged even by PTFE mouse feet over a long enough period of time.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The Triathlon uses "Logitech Advanced Optical Tracking", it's one of their mid-tier office mouses.

It's no Darkfield and I could see a desk loving it up, I use a hard plastic mousepad even with my MX Master (for consistency).

Now granted it's worse than their gaming sensors, but it shouldn't be doing that unless the surface is unsuited or the mouse's actually broken.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sounds like normal behavior for a non gaming mouse to me. I haven’t used one with that sensor but that behavior is exactly why I stopped using an M500.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I used a fabric gaming mousepad at the time and I can say this literally never happened with my M500.

Eventually I stopped using it because it developed double clicking and that's it.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Blowdryer posted:

What kind of table surface? If it has a very reflective/high gloss finish on it, that can mess up some sensors.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What exactly happens, mechanically or electrically, that causes the double clicking bug?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

What exactly happens, mechanically or electrically, that causes the double clicking bug?

If its a mechanical issue, its usually the switches loving up - either because they're cheap or because gunk has gotten in them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

It's often due to dust and debris. It can happen real fast in dirty environments, but even a pretty clean desk will eventually lead to buildup over the course of a few years.

It can also be due to the spring mechanism:

Fixing it is usually just slightly flattening the spring mechanism and manually cleaning the contact area.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 17, 2019

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

MX Master. 50eur off Amazon Warehouse DE, has been cheaper.

But the Triathlon shouldn't have weird tracking problems.

After getting a mousepad, the tracking issues persist. I think the issue might be the sensors IPS? I can't find specs for that for this mouse though. Will the MX master not have the issues?

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 17, 2019

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Khorne posted:

It's often due to dust and debris. It can happen real fast in dirty environments, but even a pretty clean desk will eventually lead to buildup over the course of a few years.

Fixing it is usually just slightly flattening the spring mechanism and manually cleaning the contact area.

My G700S has the kind on the left, and it took about a half-hour of fiddling with it to get the spring re-springified and then re-seated. It's been about 6 months and the "repair" is still holding.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Khorne posted:

There's also been mention of static buildup being a contributing factor to double clicks, though this is more climate dependent.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You'd think there would be a market for a sealed switch.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Anyone hear about the FinalMouse clone? I'm subbed to RocketJumpNinja who does mouse reviews and saw this pop up on my feed. I always wanted to try a FinalMouse even though I have the Logitech G Wireless Pro. They were always out of stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqK2o-Hwzho

For $50 it doesn't seem that bad. I could imagine this thing being super hard to clean though.

edit: On second thought, if I wanted a secondary mouse, I should probably get the G502 Wireless. GPW for gaming and G502 for productivity with its added buttons.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 18, 2019

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Yep, I pre-ordered the matte white and it should be here hopefully Monday.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Same, but just ordered today. I want to try a super light mouse for playing FPSes, but every final mouse model is just impossible to purchase. Seems really promising, aside from cleaning.

I'll probably keep using the g900 for general use but I'm excited to see how the model o feels.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

foutre posted:

Same, but just ordered today. I want to try a super light mouse for playing FPSes, but every final mouse model is just impossible to purchase. Seems really promising, aside from cleaning.

I'll probably keep using the g900 for general use but I'm excited to see how the model o feels.

I think cleaning it upside down with a large pipecleaner would be a fairly easy way to do it. It works for the hole filed final mouse bodies. Im also fairly certain any exposed circuitry is covered in something clear to prevent any sweat or debris contamination

My number one mouse cleaning tool is a horsehair shoe polishing brush. Its gentle enough for the plastic but abrasive enough for sweat and dead skin gunk.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

taqueso posted:

You'd think there would be a market for a sealed switch.

Or they could just not use the switches that are prone to failing prematurely like this. If I'm paying $100 or more for a mouse whose main switches are rated for like 10+M clicks it had better last at least that long, and Logitech (among others) can certainly make mice using different switches that don't fail. I've had plenty of mice last for years and they're still going strong; my G703 had to be replaced after about a year and a half of light gaming use once or twice a week.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my model O mouse came in today. After a few hours my impressions are:

Its an air58 or phantom with a better scroll wheel and rgb.
The cord is easier to bend which is good.
If you liftoff there is a chance you will place it back down over the super light and floppy cord so a bungee is highly recommended.
Size is about the same as a razer deathadder or air 58 so med-large. For my hands I can palm it more than my g pro wireless which isnt as good for fast FPS but way more comfortable for long days.
The feet felt pretty slick out of the box and didnt seem to need break in as much as other mice I have used.
At $50 its pretty great.

Its not going to replace my g pro, I cant see anything ever doing that except a v2 g pro but im going to use it on my work pc over the deathadder chroma.

Anyone want a deathadder chroma for like $20? I replaced the side rubber and feet recently so the wear parts are still pretty new and clean. I will also include a spare set of feet if i can find them since I wont be needing them

Also I got too many mice and only 2 hands. Time to start selling. I'll make an SA-Mart thread soon

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 21, 2019

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I'm so on the fence about the model o. I like everything about it, but feel like my thumb is going to have the same problem of rubbing the side button or pad.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unless you have hands that deviate from the norm, maybe you should work on your grip instead of finding a mouse to accommodate your grip? Not being snarky but genuinely trying to help.
What was the last mouse that was very comfortable and why?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

I use a hybrid palm-claw where I like the mouse tucked into my hand but dont lay my fingers over the top of the mouse. The comfy mouse for me is the G403. Plenty of thumb room and the side buttons are easy to get to and soft clicking. I dont enjoy the high hump and the flare on the end, my ring finger can get uncomfortable.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I just want a wireless MX518 powered by a single AA battery and with a hyper-scroll wheel for less than $100. The "one-three-one" grip is very comfortable for me on my MX518 Legendary but it's wired and the scroll wheel is sub-par.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need wireless gaming mouse for a laptop. Something low latency and long battery life with a top sensor. If it takes AAA or AAs i think thats a plus. The smallest mouse I like is the g pro and the largest is deathadder.

What kind of options are out there?

so far im thinking g703, but i wish it used replaceable batteries. I found the g305 and g603 on amazon but not on the logitech website. Are they discontinued models? They both seem to be what Im looking for

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 25, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fauxtool posted:

so far im thinking g703, but i wish it used replaceable batteries. I found the g305 and g603 on amazon but not on the logitech website. Are they discontinued models? They both seem to be what Im looking for

They're listed on Logitech's website, it's just that their filters don't work correctly: https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gaming-mice.html

Logitech's website is a mess.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

spasticColon posted:

I just want a wireless MX518 powered by a single AA battery and with a hyper-scroll wheel for less than $100. The "one-three-one" grip is very comfortable for me on my MX518 Legendary but it's wired and the scroll wheel is sub-par.
I have to use 1-2-1 with the mx518 and most non-claw mice. It's reasonably comfortable for me like that, but the mx518-style is too heavy and pointlessly large.

The most comfortable mouse I've ever used was the asus strix claw, but as far I as can tell that mouse was a piece of crap. It physically broke twice in 3 months (not scroll wheel/buttons). The xornet1 was a great casual desktop mouse but where the ring finger rests is too narrow for me to play fps games.

Fingers McGee posted:

I use a hybrid palm-claw where I like the mouse tucked into my hand but dont lay my fingers over the top of the mouse. The comfy mouse for me is the G403. Plenty of thumb room and the side buttons are easy to get to and soft clicking. I dont enjoy the high hump and the flare on the end, my ring finger can get uncomfortable.
I wish there were somewhere I could try the g403/g703. I went to the local best buy and they didn't even have any g305s out just 2 boxed g203s.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 25, 2019

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Are there any ghetto solutions for mouse feet? My G600's mouse wheel was dying (I think it's still the best grid-type mmo mouse around) so I took it apart and cleaned the insides, lo' and behold there were bunch of dust balls between the mouse wheel and the board. This kind of disassembly obviously makes the mouse feet wear. As an added bonus I removed the drat metal weights from the inside.

I can't order mouse feet from the official store since I'm not in the US but I did manage to find some for G600 from a EU seller for ~$12. "Teflon tape" doesn't seem to give me good results as I had some PTFE tape for insulation but it actually doesn't glide that well at all - there seem to be several qualities of PTFE (teflon).

They don't even seem to be selling some generic teflon tape intended for mice in my country that I can find. What brands should I look for? Are there some generic teflon tape intended for mice/just good for gliding that's not overpriced as hell?

Might also just cave and order another G600 from the US since it's still cheaper than anywhere within Europe. I know the sensor is poo poo, but Naga and Corsair Scimitar lack either or both tilt wheel and a ring finger button. I'd look at Rival 500 as a replacement but that's more expensive than ordering a new G600 from the US and I can't find it in a store where I could have my hand on it.

I know grid-type mice are a meme to some people but even with modifiers and clever binding I need a large number of those mouse buttons for comfort while playing FFXIV. It's just such a shame Logitech hasn't deemed it worthy to release a successor to what is arguably the best MMO mouse on the market in some respects. All current offerings are either sidegrades or downgrades at best.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 28, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Look for mouse feet for your mouse on Aliexpress, they'll be extremely cheap, including shipping from China to Europe.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dessel posted:

Are there any ghetto solutions for mouse feet? My G600's mouse wheel was dying (I think it's still the best grid-type mmo mouse around) so I took it apart and cleaned the insides, lo' and behold there were bunch of dust balls between the mouse wheel and the board. This kind of disassembly obviously makes the mouse feet wear. As an added bonus I removed the drat metal weights from the inside.

I can't order mouse feet from the official store since I'm not in the US but I did manage to find some for G600 from a EU seller for ~$12. "Teflon tape" doesn't seem to give me good results as I had some PTFE tape for insulation but it actually doesn't glide that well at all - there seem to be several qualities of PTFE (teflon).

They don't even seem to be selling some generic teflon tape intended for mice in my country that I can find. What brands should I look for? Are there some generic teflon tape intended for mice/just good for gliding that's not overpriced as hell?

Might also just cave and order another G600 from the US since it's still cheaper than anywhere within Europe. I know the sensor is poo poo, but Naga and Corsair Scimitar lack either or both tilt wheel and a ring finger button. I'd look at Rival 500 as a replacement but that's more expensive than ordering a new G600 from the US and I can't find it in a store where I could have my hand on it.

I know grid-type mice are a meme to some people but even with modifiers and clever binding and I need a large number of those mouse buttons for comfort while playing FFXIV. It's just such a shame Logitech hasn't deemed it worthy to release a successor to what is arguably the best MMO mouse on the market in some respects. All current offerings are either sidegrades or downgrades at best.

I'd check ebay, there's often generic replacement feet that are alright:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hotline-Games-Logitech-G600-Mouse-Feet/123633390658?hash=item1cc91fd442:m:me0IMVp1KAq6Y9_QVtpB1gQ

I bought some of them for one of my mice (can't remember which one, maybe G400). I also used to have some of the mouse feet style teflon tape which is thicker and a different kind of thing than the plumbing stuff like you suggested. It was still pretty thin so on my OG Mouseman wheel optical I had to use a square or two of masking tape and then put on some of the teflon stuff. It'd kind of wear through on the corners after a while and I definitely prefer the thicker stuff that comes with the mouse or from the ebay kits.

Anyway the generic terms seem to be mouse feet or mouse skates and sometimes teflon is in the name.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I guess I'll start ordering some spares from aliexpress in case I need to open the mouse up again. Good for a new spare G600 too if I order one so I can get rid of the metal weights asap.

For comedy: Customs/VAT/delivery included, G600 from the US: 55€/$61. Within EU: 85€/$95. It's basically a discontinued product at this point in time.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just ordered a G502 since I hate wireless peripherals and based on thread consensus, it seems to be a pretty solid choice. Thanks thread!

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Just get the generic small dots. They'll work on anything.. Your mouse feet don't need to cover everything. I'm using a DIY mix of the rival 300 and zowie ec2 hyperglides for my nixeus revel fit.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My friends and I have been into Apex Legends recently and I'm trying to improve my aim (lol, goodluck). I was reading a few pages back in this thread about DPI and sensitivity and it's a bit much for me to decipher. I think part of my problem is I have my DPI set way too high so it only takes me a couple inches to do a full 360. If I lower the DPI it feels very sluggish like I have to move the mouse a LOT just to see what the noise behind me was. Is there some sort of a guide to tuning in good DPI and sensitivity settings for better aim?

I have the Model O so I'm having to relearn aiming anyway (coming from a G602 which was MUCH heavier).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
As a casual player with a quality sensor you should definitely just set your DPI for comfortable desktop use, and then use in-game sens to get the real sens you want.

Just set it to a 15 or 20" 360 and play with it for a while. You probably haven't lowered it enough, there's a really ugly spot where your sens is too low to do full movements with your wrist but not yet low enough that you're really forced to properly use your arm, and that zone feels like crap.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

iddqd posted:

My friends and I have been into Apex Legends recently and I'm trying to improve my aim (lol, goodluck). I was reading a few pages back in this thread about DPI and sensitivity and it's a bit much for me to decipher. I think part of my problem is I have my DPI set way too high so it only takes me a couple inches to do a full 360. If I lower the DPI it feels very sluggish like I have to move the mouse a LOT just to see what the noise behind me was. Is there some sort of a guide to tuning in good DPI and sensitivity settings for better aim?

I have the Model O so I'm having to relearn aiming anyway (coming from a G602 which was MUCH heavier).

It took a while for me to grasp this too; it makes sense when you realize that at lower sensitivity you can more easily put the cursor on target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Aiming is just as much about getting the muscle memory in as it is about dialing in your DPI/sensitivity. No matter how 'ideal' a setting is, you're going to need to learn to work with it (hence your experience that it's so slow when you dropped it). Different play styles and preferences means there's no setup perfect for everyone anyways.

If your tracking ends up overshooting too often dial down the sensitivity, if you're undershooting then bump it up. A simple tracking test is to target something like a pillar and just circle strafe around it while trying to keep your crosshair on point. Flick shots is mostly muscle memory, make sure you don't have any acceleration going if you're struggling with that.