Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theres no tk limit so unless your trying to topfrag the match theres really no reason to worry about tking your own team. the maps are so hideously imbalanced that winning comes down to whether you joined the right team, usually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

at the same time winning doesn't really do anything for you, you don't get extra XP or money, unless you consider that by winning you're probably performing better overall but eh. This isn't an excuse for the maps being lopsided though, in fact if there actually was some kind of reward for actually winning I bet it would be a higher priority to fix them lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

theres no tk limit so unless your trying to topfrag the match theres really no reason to worry about tking your own team. the maps are so hideously imbalanced that winning comes down to whether you joined the right team, usually

There's no TK limit but I still like money

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

McSpanky posted:

There's no TK limit but I still like money

Doesn't affect that in my experience. It's just game time.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 17, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
yeah it's literally just time

i have gone on a bizarro bender 32-4 on a TDM map as a crossbow mang and gotten... two hundred gold/xp.

It means the high level people are just poopsocks and nothing more.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I've gotten between 120 and 610 gold on start-to-finish Frontline rounds and similarly variable (though not as widespread) XP returns, something affects the payout besides time served.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There is definitely some other method of contribution to your gold and xp after a match. I think it's placement on the scoreboard based on doing some Horde with friends, but the margins are hilariously tiny, like 100 gold more for 1st than 15th that it's not worth worrying about.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

once the goon server comes back up (if it does lol) I'll go in and personally test it, though I'm currently with the "you get more money by contributing more to the point total" camp myself

we'll see

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I just got 620g from a Frontline map on Taiga, and that's the highest amount of gold I remember getting. I was there for the entire match, but it wasn't particularly close, or long, and I was a solid 3rd on the score list. I've played maps for longer, I've gotten more kills, I've gotten more points, but I don't think I've ever gotten more gold, so, in short, I have no loving idea how gold awards work.

I've been watching JaxPC stream on twitch, and it's pretty cool that the community manager actually plays the game, and is drat good at it. I enjoy the fact that the PR guy is destroying people and has no problem showing that he's a real human being.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

i mean frontlines can take a while if it's sitting on the middle point or a pretty quick wash if people are defending the last point because of the ticket drain

Orv
May 4, 2011

cerebral posted:

I just got 620g from a Frontline map on Taiga, and that's the highest amount of gold I remember getting. I was there for the entire match, but it wasn't particularly close, or long, and I was a solid 3rd on the score list. I've played maps for longer, I've gotten more kills, I've gotten more points, but I don't think I've ever gotten more gold, so, in short, I have no loving idea how gold awards work.

I've been watching JaxPC stream on twitch, and it's pretty cool that the community manager actually plays the game, and is drat good at it. I enjoy the fact that the PR guy is destroying people and has no problem showing that he's a real human being.

Before the Turd Wars cometh you could bring in 900+ gold on a full Horde run, who knows now, I don't imagine they balanced the gold income from it but basically the only way to win Horde is to cheese it so they might have broken that.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The gold payouts are always the same numerically for me depending on the length of the match and when I joined, at least on Frontlines. I guess XP might be different.

Either that or time is weighted above all else, to the point where it's almost irrelevant.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 17, 2019

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I've bound up right slash/up slash/down slash to 3 different buttons. Can i bind the left side to the same buttons but with shift+button or something?

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I've bound up right slash/up slash/down slash to 3 different buttons. Can i bind the left side to the same buttons but with shift+button or something?

You can bind a button that will swap the directional function of those buttons. Right slash + button = left slash etc.

I don't know what it's called, sorry. :shobon:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

By default alt is already bound to that. You can also set an option to have them flip sides based on your mouse direction.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:hfive:

https://i.imgur.com/QeBQeI0.mp4

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
the "Can't die yet, still screaming" skill seems a little OP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bondematt posted:

So it's a sense of honor regarding this knowledge that is why nearly every single Flesh Wound user I see just backpedal until they die instead of attacking anyone?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried it for an hour or two and while sometimes you can finish off a surprised opponent usually what happens is you hit 0 HP and then the enemy has another combo swing that lands before you can even attempt to parry so it doesn't matter

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Bondematt posted:

It's mostly good for throwing everything you've got in a attempt to take someone with you but if you've got no weapons (or fire bombs) to throw, it's little more than a kill here and there and comical effect.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yeah there's not much you can do with the time allotted except huck your firebombs on the ground. I could see it being good for avoiding letting dudes get a hold of your gear but I mean... is that really that big of a deal?

I'd be SO down if it let you carry on with permanently lowered maximum HP. Like 50% lowered and you lose your limb for that whole time.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just got 660xp on camp. Was a long match and as winners we won with only like 50 points remaining since we snatched a heavily fortified middle about 4 min from the end. I ended up going 36-12 which was probably my best k:d for a high scoring match to date. It was also the highest XP I've ever received by a long shot. I did shoot 3 horsies with balista which is probably one of the most satisfying things in the game.

Also I like the zweihander waaaaaay more than the executioner sword at this point. Yeah it's like 3 more points, but the fact you can actually stab with it makes up for it. Plus you can half sword with it which makes stabbing a ton better, and if you need to you can helicopter almost as well as the executioner.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 17, 2019

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Minorkos posted:

I've become a bit of a sweaty tryhard in this game already so I can help a bit. I wouldn't say the trick is as much about reacting to the grunt but rather parrying at the latest possible moment. If you see someone gearing up to attack but their weapon is considerably far from you, you don't need to parry immediately, because even if they do attack, their weapon will take a moment to reach you. So basically, just get used to parrying as late as possible. There are still feints that you can't react to, mostly when your opponent gets right next to you before they attack, which is when the safest move is to chamber and then cancel said chamber if the attack turns out to be a morph.

Anyway, since feints are pretty easily dealt with in Mordhau, it follows that the game is a lot more about reacting properly than Chivalry was. High level gameplay requires you to react, identify and chamber every form of attack. Chivalry was a lot more about mindgames, positioning and applying the best form of attack at the right time, due to feint being what it was. The attack recovery timings are also a lot longer in Mordhau, so there isn't much point to try to poke and zone at range. You're better off just sticking right onto your opponent when you attack, which means that tryhard level gameplay is basically two spergs standing next to each other and testing each other's reactions. The game seems mostly good for chaotic deathmatch and frontline stuff, but it holds up very poorly as a "serious" dueling game, even compared to Chivalry.

Thanks, this is actually really helpful. I tried out watching the weapon more yesterday and it's definitely a better method than just listening for the grunt.

The biggest problem I still do have is with people facehugging me, where they take up most of my screen and I can't see their animations very well to tell what kind of attack/feint/morph they're doing, especially if they combine it with jittering around just with mouselook, which can look (to me) the same as an attack windup.

Some guys in a duel server said to kick in that scenario but it takes like 2 seconds to wind up and I seem to get hit a lot before it lands.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zotix posted:

I just got 660xp on camp. Was a long match and as winners we won with only like 50 points remaining since we snatched a heavily fortified middle about 4 min from the end. I ended up going 36-12 which was probably my best k:d for a high scoring match to date. It was also the highest XP I've ever received by a long shot. I did shoot 3 horsies with balista which is probably one of the most satisfying things in the game.

Also I like the zweihander waaaaaay more than the executioner sword at this point. Yeah it's like 3 more points, but the fact you can actually stab with it makes up for it. Plus you can half sword with it which makes stabbing a ton better, and if you need to you can helicopter almost as well as the executioner.

Despite being a sword, the executioner is spiritually an axe and should be regarded as such when considering your tactical preferences. It's essentially the high-tier (in terms of point cost and size) war axe to the bardiche's battle axe.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Jack the Lad posted:

Thanks, this is actually really helpful. I tried out watching the weapon more yesterday and it's definitely a better method than just listening for the grunt.

The biggest problem I still do have is with people facehugging me, where they take up most of my screen and I can't see their animations very well to tell what kind of attack/feint/morph they're doing, especially if they combine it with jittering around just with mouselook, which can look (to me) the same as an attack windup.

Some guys in a duel server said to kick in that scenario but it takes like 2 seconds to wind up and I seem to get hit a lot before it lands.

that guy isn't totally wrong but only if they're delaying attacks, another thing to try is third person (press P by default) a lot of fake out and psyche tactics don't work on someone in third person such as jumping up and down. I used to jump at motherfuckers all the time in chivalry to get them to panic feint than wap them for it. Also yeah I turn my blocks like 90 degrees to block some long weapons like zwies, it also lets you block when they stab past you than drag it in.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Bondematt posted:

The best part of this perk is that it still works after losing limbs, though if you lose your right arm you can only scream and bleed on your assailant.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PhantomZero posted:

The best part of this perk is that it still works after losing limbs, though if you lose your right arm you can only scream and bleed on your assailant.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

PhantomZero posted:

if you lose your right arm you can only scream and bleed on your assailant.

Not true. I have personally punched people to death with my bleeding arm stump.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 17, 2019

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Motherfucker posted:

that guy isn't totally wrong but only if they're delaying attacks, another thing to try is third person (press P by default) a lot of fake out and psyche tactics don't work on someone in third person such as jumping up and down. I used to jump at motherfuckers all the time in chivalry to get them to panic feint than wap them for it. Also yeah I turn my blocks like 90 degrees to block some long weapons like zwies, it also lets you block when they stab past you than drag it in.

Yeah, third person seems pretty good, but I find the fact that it's off centre maddening for trying to aim anything. Is there any way to change the PoV?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bondematt posted:

it's not really, one more hit will finish them and they die in a couple of seconds anyway, so once it's active you basically just have to block one more strike and then kick them. if they backpedal out of kick range or counterkick they've wasted too much time to finish you and if they don't then you kick them in the balls so hard that they die instantly

it is hilarious, though, and is a great way to take ultimate revenge on people who get cocky and assume they don't have to worry about you because you only have one arm

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm trying to use the Greatsword because it appeals to my sense of "Cool Big but Not Too Big Sword", but man I just can't make it work.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Nordick posted:

I'm trying to use the Greatsword because it appeals to my sense of "Cool Big but Not Too Big Sword", but man I just can't make it work.

Try Longsword. Not much shorter but feels way faster. I've been liking it a lot and can often surprise people by getting a second hit in if they feint their riposte.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

People discount the arming and short swords like crazy but they both do huge work for gently caress all points.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

yea the smaller weapons come out crazy fast and consistently, you just have to hit a bunch over one or two solid hits.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm surprised how often people dont expect an underhanded swing upwards.

Quick question regarding Rapier users. I'm a Billhook/Halberd type of dude and I'm having issues with people with rapiers as they can poke faster then me and they have a tendency to really hug my nuts, making any kind or side swing or stabs useless. Is there anything I can do? I'm not great at chambering yet and I think that there lies the answer. Yeah?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Stringbean posted:

I'm surprised how often people dont expect an underhanded swing upwards.

Quick question regarding Rapier users. I'm a Billhook/Halberd type of dude and I'm having issues with people with rapiers as they can poke faster then me and they have a tendency to really hug my nuts, making any kind or side swing or stabs useless. Is there anything I can do? I'm not great at chambering yet and I think that there lies the answer. Yeah?

I'd say nah actually, even if you chamber them they're fast enough to parry anything you do with your chamber. Although it goes against the general 'ethic' of the game you should focus on parrying as you fall back and most importantly don't fall into the trap of riposting... it makes your timing too predictable and means they won't parry too early if they parry or dodge back stab 'em or kick 'em depending on where they're standing.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

now that things have settled a little i'm having lots of fun going on to dual servers and just poking two hander guys in the head with a rapier from max range while they try to do weird morph drags at me

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Due to real life, I was able to play this game on release day for about 2 hours, and then again a few days later for another hour. I haven't played since then until yesterday, and when I started the game I was reset to level 1 and no gold. I did the tutorial again for 2500 gold, but I don't see anywhere to pick up the compensation gold the devs said they'd give players after the XP/Gold bugs were fixed. Do I have to request it or should it be presented automatically?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
There was a window to get that gold and you missed it my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i had to replay the tutorial because my catapult locked up and wouldnt turn to the right/left so i couldnt hit the things to finish it. at least i got to do the hans test twice.