Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I'm loving all the non-ironic love for Big :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Infinite needs to be in more top tiers.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Paul.Power posted:

I'm astonished no-one else though to use this tier-naming scheme yet.

Wait, how do you recognize Gerald but not Maria?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Detective No. 27 posted:

A friend of mine shits on me for being a Sonic fan because he somehow thinks it's a dead franchise. It's not all quality, but they've been consistently releasing mainline games, spinoffs, had the longest running comic book based on a video game, cameos in the Wreck in Ralph movies, and is getting a full blown (terrible looking) motion picture this year. I don't get it.

His favorite video game franchise is Metroid. Sonic's been in more Nintendo published games this decade than Samus.

I don't know if this is being generous or not, but some people mean "dead" as in the quality and not the amount of releases. A bunch of people do this, regardless of how much sense it makes to put it in that way. I've heard many of people say Pokémon is dead b/c reasons even though it's plenty alive release-wise.

Sonics had a lot of releases, but unless you're willing to go up to bat for Lost World and Forces, lots of people will just say the franchise has been creatively dead for a long time. Generations and Mania are good but them both sharing so much from older games w/o as much original content makes people overlook them compared to the former games in the eyes of these people, which is hard to argue against.

Dabir posted:

I doubt everyone else here does, though.

This conversation with famitsu happens literally every time it's brought up literally everywhere on the internet so I kinda doubt it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Ronnie posted:

I'm loving all the non-ironic love for Big :3:

Big is an adorable character and it kinda bothers me that 1. He's mostly shelved these days 2. He's a meme, because then when he gets unshelved he's just a meme

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, Big's inherent role is as a comedic character. The stuff the Sonic twitter does isn't great, but how he appears in Archie and TSR Overdrive is pretty true to his character, isn't it?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Archie may be fine but I don't read the comics at all. I didn't watch any of the animations except the amy one but maybe that turned out okay, but it already seemed like the people who did those are already pretty good at handling Sonic characters. Better than most of the other actual marketing/game devs imo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ventana posted:

This conversation with famitsu happens literally every time it's brought up literally everywhere on the internet so I kinda doubt it.
And yet, people keep quoting famitsu scores like they mean something. It hasn't happened enough.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Shadowlyger posted:

Wait, how do you recognize Gerald but not Maria?

To be honest I don't pay a whole lot of attention to SA2's plot, I just know that he a) is Robotnik's grandad and b) plays everyone for fools.

Maria's just some blonde girl and I probably couldn't pick her out of a lineup.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Big is a legit great character that just had the worst game play in Sonic Adventure 1. I feel like most people still liked him. He's a big dumb cat who just wants to find his best friend, he barely is aware that Chaos and Dr Eggman are even a thing.

I don't like all this Antoine shaming :colbert:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Buml0r posted:

Ok, I've been holding back, but since STC has been mentioned a couple of times this page:

I've just launched a fortnightly podcast about the British Sonic comics. The idea is not to be all "so as you know, in issue #84..." but to try and cover everything in the magazine (yes, including the Mark Millar Streets of Rage comics etc), and paint a picture of what it was like to be there and read them at the time. I reckon a few of you here will enjoy it, other people seem to be.

Here go!

Or here go if you don't like apples

Speaking as a 90s UK Sega kid, this was really good and brought me right back to being eight years old, including not really reading most of the non Sonic strips. I'm also glad to hear that Sonic in the Fourth Dimension is universally hailed as a literary masterpiece. Are you doing an issue per episode?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Macaluso posted:

Big is a legit great character that just had the worst game play in Sonic Adventure 1. I feel like most people still liked him. He's a big dumb cat who just wants to find his best friend, he barely is aware that Chaos and Dr Eggman are even a thing.

I don't like all this Antoine shaming :colbert:
Honestly I like the fishing too.

Hell, I liked the fishing before I liked Big as a character.

Playing as him was a nice, relaxing break from the bottomless pit factories of Sonic's later levels.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Paul.Power posted:

Playing as him was a nice, relaxing break from the bottomless pit factories of Sonic's later levels.

Fishing in itself isn't bad, I just don't think they were made well in Sonic Adventure. I'm honestly a bit surprised they haven't made a full well made fishing game with Big built from the start to be a fishing game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sonic says LGBTIQ+ rights

https://twitter.com/SEGAHARDlight/status/1129402169155887104

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

a bunch of characters apparently got recast in Team Sonic Racing.

Travis Willingham has been replaced by Kyle Hebert as Knuckles, Quinton Flynn by Bryce Papenbrook as Silver, Laura Bailey by Erica Linebeck as Blaze, and Big is his 4Kids voice actor Oliver Wyman again instead of Hebert.

Oh, and Vic McFuckNuggets has been replaced by Aaron LaPlante.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That sounds like big names getting recast for smaller ones. That's been going around a lot lately in the industry and i always wonder if it's to do with union matters or if they simply want to spend less money on the dub.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can see that for Laura Bailey, but Kyle has been doing this for years. He's not really any lesser of a name in this business than Willingham.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Not sure about the others (except Vic but we all know why he got replaced) but Travis apparently is taking a break from voice acting at the moment. From the little I saw of the game it seems like Kyle's doing a decent job as Knux.
Silver sounds like poo poo though

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
No Jon st. John?

#not_my_Big

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Raiden but whinier" was a perfect voice for Silver, I wonder why Bryce got the job.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

No Jon st. John?

#not_my_Big

st john hasn't voiced big in like 15 years, where the hell have you been

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Who did the creep voice? I didn't know he was part of the Sonic cast.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Veotax posted:

Who did the creep voice? I didn't know he was part of the Sonic cast.

Omega

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Amppelix posted:

And yet, people keep quoting famitsu scores like they mean something. It hasn't happened enough.

That's more fair yeah. I do think kirbysuperstar did it in a proper way here, though the best is to just never bring it up tbh.

Paul.Power posted:

Basically same. Though for me, his theme being so goofy and great helped me turn around on him cause I love that song.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like how Big was immune to mind control in Chronicles because he's..too simple for it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

I present...OPINIONS

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My tier list is objective and the best

Also I learned you get a Scourge by feeding Battle Kukku XVI an evolution stone.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 18, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Who’s the purple haired girl on the list (the one in between Zazz and Big in the above post)?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the ghost girl from Night of the Werehog. Her official name is Lah.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I'm a filthy degenerate who unironically wants a Bunnie Rabbot spin-off game.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Katsuma posted:

This series has room for a LOT of good spinoffs with its wide cast of characters, but first they gotta get their mainline stuff consistently down before anyone would take the risk.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Katsuma posted:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Katsuma posted:

Is there still a chance of even seeing any of the Archie/SatAM characters again now that the comic’s been cancelled?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Is there still a chance of even seeing any of the Archie/SatAM characters again now that the comic’s been cancelled?

Sega doesn't want them in IDW last I heard

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Probably not. They dead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Sega doesn't want them in IDW last I heard

Plus the IDW comic mainly takes place in the same universe as the games post-Forces so you’d basically have to introduce brand new versions of them anyway.

Too bad, they were pretty good characters for the most part.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Larryb posted:

Who’s the purple haired girl on the list (the one in between Zazz and Big in the above post)?

night of the werehog ghost girl.
that short owned real hard

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Katsuma posted:

Katsuma posted:

I'm a filthy degenerate who unironically wants a Big the Cat spin-off fishing game.

Katsuma posted:

I'm a filthy weeaboo who unironically wants a Rouge/Espio spin-off stealth theft game.

Katsuma posted:

I'm a filthy degenerate who unironically wants a Vanilla spin-off cooking sim game.

Katsuma posted:

I'm a filthy comiclover who unironically wants a Freedom Fighters spin-off strategy game.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 18, 2019

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

My opinions are valid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I would like to see a detailed, nuanced tier list made by Sonic himself.