Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's been years since I read it, I may have been tricked by the art on the covers and a bad memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Dexadrine Parios is a very Greek name so I don't know about that.

That sounds like a pharmaceutical.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Her middle name is Callisto. There's a reason she goes by Dex.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Well yes, Dexedrine is a drug for ADHD. Looking it up Rucka said he liked the name Dex so he had to come up with something that could be short for and came up with Dexedrine. And then he wondered why someone would name their child that and a lot of what made Dex came from that.

Also I forgot her middle name was Callisto, so yeah she's very much Greek.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dexadrine is also basically a type of meth, and is where Dexy's Midnight Runners got their name.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Gaz-L posted:

Dexadrine is also basically a type of meth, and is where Dexy's Midnight Runners got their name.

A lot of ADHD meds are amphetamines, which is why they get abused.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The latest Cloak & Dagger continues to be amazing. They manage to get in some cool video game homages (the game's backstory basically being the comics origin was a nice touch), but they also managed to address some really heavy stuff too (while still providing some catharsis after the last few episodes). Really looking forward to how the rest of the season plays out

Hoping we get a renewal out of this.

Edit: Also now I think about it, this episode is a nice counterpart to 'The Lotus Eaters' last season.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 17, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/FreddyInSpace/status/1130929695271346176

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so i just finished this amazon show called hanna thats basic premise is about an escaped girl from a red room from black widow analogue and it was actually pretty good imo. not perfect, but certainly much better use of the material than the jennifer lawrence movie whose name escapes me

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

so i just finished this amazon show called hanna thats basic premise is about an escaped girl from a red room from black widow analogue and it was actually pretty good imo. not perfect, but certainly much better use of the material than the jennifer lawrence movie whose name escapes me

You should watch the movie it's based on. The series is fine, the movie is real good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

The movie was basically Cassandra Caine: But she can talk.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agosG3mokBQ
DC put the first episode of Doom Patrol up on Youtube, if anyone hadn't checked it out yet.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Bruceski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agosG3mokBQ
DC put the first episode of Doom Patrol up on Youtube, if anyone hadn't checked it out yet.

Just watched the finale. It was sure strange! Is there a thread for it somewhere?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Just watched the finale. It was sure strange! Is there a thread for it somewhere?

There's one more episode.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

There's one more episode.

Last week was the penultimate, I thought today's was the finale?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Last week was the penultimate, I thought today's was the finale?

Oh jesus, it's friday! I forgot!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Over in the TVIV forum. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871617

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Well yes, Dexedrine is a drug for ADHD. Looking it up Rucka said he liked the name Dex so he had to come up with something that could be short for and came up with Dexedrine. And then he wondered why someone would name their child that and a lot of what made Dex came from that.

Also I forgot her middle name was Callisto, so yeah she's very much Greek.

Just like Georgiou Philippa!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Oh jesus, it's friday! I forgot!

I like OJIF rather than TGIF.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Just like Georgiou Philippa!

Look, if Michelle Yeoh wants to be in your TV show and chew scenery, you let her.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alright, if you ain't already, it's time to use your free DC Universe time and binge Doom Patrol.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Alright, if you ain't already, it's time to use your free DC Universe time and binge Doom Patrol.

Agreed, the finale was fantastic

I want to spread you like the plague, Daddy

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Canada's like 3 episodes behind :argh:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

At least you guys have it. There is still no announced UK broadcaster

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Veotax posted:

At least you guys have it. There is still no announced UK broadcaster

It's not on Netflix like Titans was?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

It's not on Netflix like Titans was?

I'm guessing Titans didn't do well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Netflix might be waiting for the series to finish and will throw it all on for binge watching.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

No guarantee that Netflix will even pick it up, Star Trek: Picard is going to be on Amazon over here while Netflix was heavily invested in Star Trek: Discovery. International rights can end up all over the place, even within the same franchise.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Madkal posted:

Netflix might be waiting for the series to finish and will throw it all on for binge watching.

Through ep6 at least, it's a very bingeable series. That's not necessarily a compliment these days, but "you should absolutely watch Doom Patrol, it's great show" is. And you should.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of good shows ending soon, the finale for Cloak & Dagger Seaons 2 is next week, so you guys have plenty of time to get caught up on it.

I really hope it gets renewed, I think it already had by this point in the season. Are they waiting to see if there's a big uptick in bingewatchers? :ohdear:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would love this

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1132651489174970368?s=19

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Chances are it's just going to be the rebrand for the Avengers films. Feige probably asked someone if there was a team book where Captain Marvel and Black Panther took the lead, and someone threw him a copy of that run.
Like, a big chunk of that book is about how the inertia and formula of the Big Two's superhero books is 'normal' but maybe not right.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Chances are it's just going to be the rebrand for the Avengers films. Feige probably asked someone if there was a team book where Captain Marvel and Black Panther took the lead, and someone threw him a copy of that run.
Like, a big chunk of that book is about how the inertia and formula of the Big Two's superhero books is 'normal' but maybe not right.

I don't think you toss away the Avengers brand name at all though.

Ultimate Avengers or New Avengers is likely gonna be the title going forward. And I'm positive we're going to get Young Avengers before too long, which would be the perfect place to put Kang. We already have Cassie, we're gonna get Kate soon, so they're planting the seeds for that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Ultimates would be a great movie to establish the post Endgame MCU. I really want this now.

EDIT: You already have Black Panther and Captain Marvel. You can introduce Monica and America. Even throw in Spider-Man, and let him play up his smarts some more. I’m take it or leave it on Blue Marvel.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 27, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
give shuri anti matter powers, shes dating monica. problem solved

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Cloak & Dagger wrapped up season 2 this series, and it was awesome - great character pieces, great action, just all around great episode. The second series is definitely an improvement on the first (and that was pretty great in its own right, even if it took a little bit to get rolling). Check it out.

Really hope we get a season 3. They gave one to Runaways, dammit!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So anybody watch Swamp Thing yet? Is it any good?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Swamp Thing was pretty good. I think it suffers from not being a two-parter, or at least not being able to watch the second episode right away. Definitely playing up the weird horror aspect.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have a feeling quite a few staff working on Swamp Thing were pretty into RE7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So this interview with Cloak & Dagger's showrunner has some interesting behind the scenes stuff, including hints as to where it's going in future.