Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Flesh Wound is awesome and it's so satisfying to kick your killer to death before collapsing. Sometimes you can even get a couple of his friends if he didn't lop off your sword arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
fleshwound is one of the relatively few perks that actually have a pretty noticeable impact and it's cheap enough that most people can just grab it in their builds

it doesn't really do much in practice, but that's fine. a good perk.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

If you have Flesh Wound and Bloodlust, is it possible to heal back to full and fight on with one arm by killing someone before you die?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Jack the Lad posted:

If you have Flesh Wound and Bloodlust, is it possible to heal back to full and fight on with one arm by killing someone before you die?

No it says so in it's description

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

There was a window to get that gold and you missed it my dude.

So sad. Now I'm trying to earn xp/gold against people who've had weeks to practice and optimize. Feels like late Chiv again, but still having more fun.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Goon server best server if it's up. RIIZZZ

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
They still die the same with the default weapons. You'll be fine

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
the real game is fashion souls tho

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've tried eveningstar, estoc, and mace so far. What's another fun weapon, assuming I don't want giant swords, pole arms, or the maul?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I've tried eveningstar, estoc, and mace so far. What's another fun weapon, assuming I don't want giant swords, pole arms, or the maul?

War Axe is legit. Two hit kill on everything much like the maul (though without the 1hk on armoured heads), but a fair bit faster and you get to cut limbs off.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

weapons are irrelevant. shouting and kicking are the true tools of the master.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Can't believe they haven't changed the colours from red and blue to purple and gold. Also, rapier bloodlust is the best, and gently caress your fire pots.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Imo take team colors off and add the friendly marker to allies

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

How is the evening star? I've heard some streamers say that it's one of the top tier weapons in the game right now.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's great. Been using it since day 1 to great effect.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I die to eveningstar, war axe, and rapiers the most so presumably those are the best. Executioner's swords are my favorite weapon though. Spears too.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

Eveningstar is good because of its alt. You have a long reach attack and a short handled fast attack. Also, stab then morph into a swing to wreck fools.

I'd like to hear more about how and when to use the alt mode. Eveningstar has become my weapon of choice. I can't really explain why it FEELS better to me than other big weapons but I just get more work done with it, and getting better every day. I started with the war axe but stab-morphs work better when your stab is actually a threat.

Other random thoughts:

The cleaver is super fun. I've got a light/fast build with the cleaver and if you can dance around people and accel your swings, you can absolutely wreck people in like 3 hits or so, and for some reason people just don't consider you a threat so you often get two slashes in before you see them realize "oh poo poo". This build frees up a ton of points for perks so you can take things like dodge or the underrated rat.

Arming sword is my favorite ranged weapon. Way better IMO than throwing axes/knives for 2 points, and you can fit it in with a lot of builds. If you aren't wielding an arming sword, no one ever expects you to pull one out and throw it.

I saw a teammate get on a horse in front of me, with no one else around, and then immediately take a ballista to the body. You can try to imagine what this looked like directly in front of me, but I assure you it was far more brutal than that. Game is good.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Dubar posted:

I'd like to hear more about how and when to use the alt mode. Eveningstar has become my weapon of choice. I can't really explain why it FEELS better to me than other big weapons but I just get more work done with it, and getting better every day. I started with the war axe but stab-morphs work better when your stab is actually a threat.

Other random thoughts:

The cleaver is super fun. I've got a light/fast build with the cleaver and if you can dance around people and accel your swings, you can absolutely wreck people in like 3 hits or so, and for some reason people just don't consider you a threat so you often get two slashes in before you see them realize "oh poo poo". This build frees up a ton of points for perks so you can take things like dodge or the underrated rat.

Arming sword is my favorite ranged weapon. Way better IMO than throwing axes/knives for 2 points, and you can fit it in with a lot of builds. If you aren't wielding an arming sword, no one ever expects you to pull one out and throw it.

I saw a teammate get on a horse in front of me, with no one else around, and then immediately take a ballista to the body. You can try to imagine what this looked like directly in front of me, but I assure you it was far more brutal than that. Game is good.

Ok, so alt mode has like 25ms faster swings and shorter reach. The obvious use is somewhere indoors but I like to switch up in the middle of a fight to throw off people's parry.

I also have a suspicion that alt modes with shorter grips allow for a more frequent parry.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zotix posted:

How is the evening star? I've heard some streamers say that it's one of the top tier weapons in the game right now.

It's by far my most successful weapon of the three, but I don't know if that's because it's 'objectively' the best choice. Thing I'm experiencing with directional aiming right now is that it's easy to aim your first slash or stab, but during combos or ripostes it gets harder to control. So since eveningstar often kills in one or two hits, I'm usually more effective with it.

e: war axe sounds similar and I should try it out

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I was never able to get the war axe to click for me. The battle axe is delicious, though, and I love riding around on horseback with it slicing off motherfucking heads.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nordick posted:

I'm trying to use the Greatsword because it appeals to my sense of "Cool Big but Not Too Big Sword", but man I just can't make it work.

Get the Claymore skin, channel your inner Highlander and/or Rob Roy MacGregor, never let them take your freedom.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I only die to ballistas and team catapults.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No you die to longbows a lot too.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

McSpanky posted:

Get the Claymore skin, channel your inner Highlander and/or Rob Roy MacGregor, never let them take your freedom.

Alternatively just shout Dunmaglass over and over ala For Honor

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I saw an enemy dude take out 6 people with a catapult today and one of them was on my team

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The worst thing I've seen was three people in the same clan using longbows and annihilating people.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there was a dude with the recurve bow on a server I was playing on yesterday who lived like 6 inches out of everyone's reach and plinked people to death/finished off kills all round. Like constantly running around on the front lines like loving legolas, terrifying

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

That is horrifying. I've never seen throwing knives put to good use however.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The gallowglass skin for the war axe should be cheaper. also chain hauberks that extend to the knees don't exist, I want to roleplay as my favorite norse-gael mercenary bois.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

This team had a whole mess of bowmen and was shooting bows constantly so I got on my rapier/firebomb/firebomb build with super fast gear to go gently caress up their stupid little archer clubhouse. Normally I can take just about anyone with a rapier but this dude had an arming sword and just chambered each of my hits without a second of hesitation. I tried to kill him 3 more times and couldn't do it. Each time I doused their dumb archers' nest in a bunch of firebombs and they eventually switched to real classes which was nice.

But man this dude was impossibly good with his sword. I didn't know what to do about it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Get better is sadly the only thing. If they're at the point where they're decimating with weapons that don't have gimmicks like "1 Hit Headshot on Any Armor" or "Has The Longest Reach", so weapons like the cleaver or the arming sword or the warhammer, they're just straight up Good at the Game, and they're to be avoided once they switch back to the previously listed super weapons lol

If you're wondering what you could have done in the heat of the moment, stagger your feints and morphs out so that you're throwing them out kind of randomly. Let him chamber a couple, parry them, throw the feint and see if it hits. As long as you don't actually chamber him, and you're connecting attacks consistently (even if he chambers and parries), the arming sword isn't great for defensive play and you will wear his stamina out, and he'll be forced to retreat or risk dropping the weapon.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

McSpanky posted:

That's what I have been doing, they haven't taken my freedom but they sure have taken my life a whole lot. :saddowns:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Babe Magnet posted:

Get better is sadly the only thing. If they're at the point where they're decimating with weapons that don't have gimmicks like "1 Hit Headshot on Any Armor" or "Has The Longest Reach", so weapons like the cleaver or the arming sword or the warhammer, they're just straight up Good at the Game, and they're to be avoided once they switch back to the above gimmick weapons lol

Avoiding people who fight like they're the loving protagonist is the first thing I learned.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pretty much. Sometimes you're just not The Dude of the round and you need to back off and take a breather.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I saw a guy straight up fight like Commodus I was like oh okay.

Start vid at 25secs

https://youtu.be/qAHO0BVob8I

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Glenn Quebec posted:

I saw a guy straight up fight like Commodus I was like oh okay.

Start vid at 25secs

https://youtu.be/qAHO0BVob8I

One time I was being attacked by 3 dudes and my response was to not even try to parry and poo poo and just try swinging and got 2 heads cut off and the last guy just put his shield up and backed away.

I think when folks think they have numbers they stop playing the game and just start comboing and sometime you get real, real lucky.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That is seriously how you win while outnumbered. Everyone just attacks because they're desperate to be the guy who kills you, or thinks that you won't be able to parry a bunch of people at once (they're usually right about this though lol) so they just start spamming. A lot of my kills come from slapping someone who's trying to surround me because they're under the impression that I don't have object permanence and I don't think they exist once they leave my peripheral vision lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Remember, unless parried or blocked, ripostes cannot be staggered / interrupted.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So is there a place to compare* the weapons? I wanna know what weapon does the most damage. I believe executioner's sword is pretty great at growing my skull throne, but there might be a better option?

jokes fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there might be some info in the OP, check the "Help, I'm real bad!" section