Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Gripweed posted:

Amiibo of every Pokemon, each one unlocks a different hat you can put on your Pokemon in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

That is an artsyle that doesn't work very well for all those Pokemon

I hate to keep negatively comparing X to Alpha Sapphire. But I'm battling Calem way too much. In Alpha Sapphire you ran into May a few times and it was like, we're two people on different journeys that intersect from time to time. But I've done three gyms and fought Calem I think just as many times. Calem's like "I can't wait to see how much stronger you are" and I'm like, how much stronger I am since this morning when we battled? and I run into the rest of the crew constantly too. We aren't a group of people on different intersecting journeys, we're five people taking a vacation together who keep wandering away from each other.

It doesn't help that Calem is super boring. The other three guys got a character trait each, but Calem is just a guy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
literally every time I send Zoroark out into battle I think "HEY THAT'S NOT THE RIGHT POKEMON"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Gripweed posted:

I hate to keep negatively comparing X to Alpha Sapphire. But I'm battling Calem way too much. In Alpha Sapphire you ran into May a few times and it was like, we're two people on different journeys that intersect from time to time. But I've done three gyms and fought Calem I think just as many times. Calem's like "I can't wait to see how much stronger you are" and I'm like, how much stronger I am since this morning when we battled? and I run into the rest of the crew constantly too. We aren't a group of people on different intersecting journeys, we're five people taking a vacation together who keep wandering away from each other.

It doesn't help that Calem is super boring. The other three guys got a character trait each, but Calem is just a guy

He keeps asking for rematches and every time his challenge line is lamer and more fatalistic. OTOH he's less obnoxious than Tierno, who has one character trait he never shut up about.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I don't think you need compare him to ORAS specifically. I haven't played B/W or their sequels, but Calem is imo the worst rival of all the games. Especially since in X/Y he's supposed to be the battle focused trainer of the group. Dude never gets 6 Pokemon on his team and is always pretty low level compared to even the regular trainers you run into.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

James is probably a hopeless case, and unfortunately the next episode is a James-centric one.

Huh, the next episode actually turned out pretty well. The new James performs a lot better when the script calls for him to be sentimental, I guess.

I'm getting used to the new Jessie and Meowth, and even the new OP.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 17, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nasgate posted:

I don't think you need compare him to ORAS specifically. I haven't played B/W or their sequels, but Calem is imo the worst rival of all the games. Especially since in X/Y he's supposed to be the battle focused trainer of the group. Dude never gets 6 Pokemon on his team and is always pretty low level compared to even the regular trainers you run into.

May/Brendan in original R/S never even fully evolve their starter and are generally super pathetic.

Your B/W2 rival also sucks and never gets more than 4 mons until postgame like Calem.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Hau on the other hand is so drat chill and just a nice dude. He gets he isn't the hero but he is enjoying the ride anyway.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Calem/Serena are the Protagonist, except you keep beating them, crushing their dreams and stealing their Mega Ring.

How could you.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Zedd posted:

Hau on the other hand is so drat chill and just a nice dude. He gets he isn't the hero but he is enjoying the ride anyway.

My son calls him "Hau 'bout that?" and uses it to make fun of him "I just beat you Hau 'bout that?" "You think you can fight me? Hau 'bout that?"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zedd posted:

Hau on the other hand is so drat chill and just a nice dude.

his Champion team is not though and it slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUaRU3xf_bs

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nasgate posted:

Don't worry about not playing B/W for that because Cheren and Bianca are basically the best rivals in the entire series. They have their own character arcs and development and feel just as much of a part of the story as you are instead of just being an obstacle with the barest hints of personality. They appear a bit too often but beyond that they're extremely good.

Can't say the same about Hugh though, he's pretty drat bad but at least the game seems to be at least a bit aware of how absurd his entire character is and he's pretty laughable if nothing else. He's too edgy for his own good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Calem/Serena are the Protagonist, except you keep beating them, crushing their dreams and stealing their Mega Ring.

How could you.

I swear I've heard this take about the rival for like the last 4 games.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love this rival talk because Gripweed is entering the stretch of the game where they'll face Caleem like 3 times in a row with no changes to his team.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Unfortunately my Hau chose Popplio so by the end of the game he was guilty of fostering a monstrous, unholy abomination.

Then again I'm pretty sure so was I, so...

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Silver was the best "Jerkwad" rival and Barry was the best "friendly" rival. The part where Barry literally pulls you out of the Elite Four door as you enter it was a stroke of genius.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blaze Dragon posted:

Don't worry about not playing B/W for that because Cheren and Bianca are basically the best rivals in the entire series. They have their own character arcs and development and feel just as much of a part of the story as you are instead of just being an obstacle with the barest hints of personality. They appear a bit too often but beyond that they're extremely good.

Can't say the same about Hugh though, he's pretty drat bad but at least the game seems to be at least a bit aware of how absurd his entire character is and he's pretty laughable if nothing else. He's too edgy for his own good.

You speak the truth. Bianca and Cheren really come off as your old friends going off on an adventure with you, unlike the one-note Friendship Brigade from the next gen.

I didn’t like Hugh at first, but when the villains straight up gave him the cat that he was so obsessed with giving back and told him that his little hero complex meant nothing to them, I loved it. He didn’t just come off as an overly edgy teen trying to emulate an anime hero. He canonically was exactly that in story and had his ego crushed because of it.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
why is there a diaper bird

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hugh is a solid character but he's a pretty bad rival if only because he doesn't care about beating you and doesn't want to become champ. But that's also something that sets him apart from other rivals I guess, which is kind of a plus.

I'd definitely rate him above Gen 3 May/Brendan and Calem/Serena

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Farecoal posted:

don't kinkshame

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Farecoal posted:

the diaper is a human skull

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Farecoal posted:

Because it’s supposed to look like a baby. Also the diaper is a skull.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
too many Pokemon cause confusion

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

maybe if less pokemon were skull diaper birds that wouldn't be a problem

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gripweed posted:

you just don't have the pokemon cluster in your brain

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Farecoal posted:

Imagine what would happen if it wasn't wearing it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Flopsy posted:

Imagine what would happen if it wasn't wearing it.

Where's the Flying-type move that's just a drive-by pigeon poo poo bombing?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
mud bomb

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Dias posted:

Where's the Flying-type move that's just a drive-by pigeon poo poo bombing?

It's called "water gun"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nasgate posted:

It's called "water gun"

you both wack

Toucannon can learn Gunk Shot.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Natural Gift.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Discharge.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Sludge Bomb

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

YaketySass posted:

He keeps asking for rematches and every time his challenge line is lamer and more fatalistic. OTOH he's less obnoxious than Tierno, who has one character trait he never shut up about.

Tierno inspired my awesome-as-gently caress Ultra Sun team of singer Primarina and her backup dancers, and I will brook no words against him.

Zedd posted:

Hau is the protagonist and you spend your first few weeks in Alola Gary Oak-ing the gently caress out of his culture's rite of passage. Then you capture his gods and put them into a box forever like the colonizer trash you are-

at least that's what I did.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

Tierno inspired my awesome-as-gently caress Ultra Sun team of singer Primarina and her backup dancers, and I will brook no words against him.

Hau is the protagonist and you spend your first few weeks in Alola Gary Oak-ing the gently caress out of his culture's rite of passage. Then you capture his gods and put them into a box forever like the colonizer trash you are-

at least that's what I did.

That is the thing about the games, we're all Gary Oak essentially. Just plowing through a bunch of nice well meaning scrubs who are never going to get on our collective levels. I won't lie winning makes me feel like poo poo sometimes but only other option to to let your pokemon take the fall which doesn't feel great either.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gary Oak lost his one fight against his rival. So I wasn't really much like him at all.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tierno I have time for because although I will always beat Calem/Serena at battling and I'll always have seen more Pokémon than Trevor, at least Tierno has me beat in a dance-off.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Tiernos only problem is that they added a rhythm game that wasn't a dance contest. Let me get my rear end beat by at least one rival for once.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Detective Pikachu was cool. Ditto and Mewtwo were terrifying for different reasons. I really wish there were more battles.

I dug the art style for the most part. The Licktung was cool, still not sure about furry Charizard. He needed more scales imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Detective Pikachu was cool. Ditto and Mewtwo were terrifying for different reasons. I really wish there were more battles.

I dug the art style for the most part. The Licktung was cool, still not sure about furry Charizard. He needed more scales imo.

He DID have scales. That wasn't fur.