Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

did later wow get rid of that? how would they not know about that???

It's not something you tend to care about much. In most circumstances mobs just aren't threatening enough for you to care about pulling as few as possible, and groups of them don't tend to be super densely packed with tons of long patrol routes. Mythic dungeons are on strict timers and are all about speed, so you want to grab as much as you can possibly handle at once rather than meticulously picking things off. The days of Defias Pillagers and super careful Undead Stratholme pulling are long gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The crop of mmos a generation or two past EQ also added pretty predictable tethering for mobs and ranges for aggro are generally pretty small as well. Play some current mmos for awhile and you get pretty good at threading the needle between various mobs without aggroing them.

Plus areas are generally pretty strictly in a certain level range. It's rare you will find an enemy that stomps you if you're in the right zone. No hill giants in a 1 to 10 zone or random dark elves who want to murder you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vargs posted:

It's not something you tend to care about much. In most circumstances mobs just aren't threatening enough for you to care about pulling as few as possible, and groups of them don't tend to be super densely packed with tons of long patrol routes. Mythic dungeons are on strict timers and are all about speed, so you want to grab as much as you can possibly handle at once rather than meticulously picking things off. The days of Defias Pillagers and super careful Undead Stratholme pulling are long gone.

why;d they make the game worse?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

why;d they make the game worse?

To appeal to mouthbreathers because corporate wanted the "total subs" number to keep going up, even when that was impractical and they had more subs than some nations have citizens.

That's the whole reason we still play P1999 instead of modern EQ or WoW. Chasing money means chasing a mainstream audience which is basically the death knell of the MMO, which true MMOs are an inherently niche appeal.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
but mythics are HARD guysss

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've seen a number of people talking about how people who are hounding for wow classic are gonna bounce off it insinuating it was too hard which is hilarious if you've played any previous mmo.

i've been playing ffxvi (but i've grown pretty bored of it quick) and it's absolutely bizarre being able to pull mobs from camps without having to manage aggro. even mobs that are hostile will just sit there as you pull one of their buddies. you can run around mindlessly not having to worry about anything aggoring you. nothing like having to make a low level night time run through kithicor.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man going back to green from red will be loving hard.

Having to listen to/deal with hardcore loving nerds, all for the PRIZE of kicking the poo poo out of bluEQ NPCs even harder than you could imagine, in 2020?

Lol talked myself right out of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when i first got eq i accidentally rolled on a pvp server (i think it was either first in the list or coolest named god can't remember exactly) and didn't know what i had done so some other newbies in freeport ask me hey wanna hunt dark elves and i'm thinking oh must be some npcs you camp in eastern commonlands and we proceed to get absolutely smoked in the dead of night.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I enjoyed the bouts of weird guerilla warfare that would spring up in newbie zones on team pvp servers.

Gfay and steamfont were constantly being raided by the gnomes or elves. I played a gnome necro for like 10 levels and we would hide in the trees (gnomes could crouch and crawl under them) and kill newbies

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
heres another unwanted update on my TAKP adventures. got a warrior and wizard 2box at level 24 now, people are nice as hell. someone unloaded a pair of lammys, crystalline short sword, and a few other items onto my warrior, another guy in the Baz gave me a full set of melee gear.

i turned off all of the luclin models except the vah shir. all of the luclin models look like rear end IMHO but the classic-era vah shir model is broken in weird ways.

my fellow sad nerd friends are playing 2boxes of MNK/SHM and ROG/CLR respectively and we've been able to tackle whatever we want pretty easily so far. its fun to forget which window i have focused as my wizard wildly charges forward with his cracked staff to pull the camp.

aggro mechanics are a lot different than p1999, at least at the low levels. basically whoever pulls will get and mostly keep aggro. our monk and rogue have started peeling aggro off of me in the mid-20s now, though. still its fun to not have to have softcap dex and mad procs to hold aggro :toot:

i'd love to see this server get more love because they've put a ton of effort into the infrastructure around it- you can easily move characters between login server accounts, getting up and running is pretty easy since you just download the zip file from their site and run it in place. its already setup for boxing and has a bunch of UI options preinstalled.

if anyone is interested i can try to help you out where i can although im pretty poor right now. note that the client is way more classic than the titanium/p1999 client- there's no eq cam (i play first person mostly), cant see poo poo at night if you play human/barb/erudite, and random other things like AFAIK the client won't tell you how much total mana you have.

all that said if you aren't planning to 2/3box your way to victory, or want that classic pickup group experience ,you probably wont find it on TAKP from what I can tell. i definitely think of it as more of a coop adventure in the EQ world than grand MMO poopsocking.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

cmdrk posted:

all that said if you aren't planning to 2/3box your way to victory, or want that classic pickup group experience ,you probably wont find it on TAKP from what I can tell. i definitely think of it as more of a coop adventure in the EQ world than grand MMO poopsocking.
I think it's a great server for people who just want to box their way through content or are bringing their own group, but that wasn't me so I never got out of the newbie zones. Client is great though, and it really reminds you how unclassic even the velious skinned titanium client is.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I think it's a great server for people who just want to box their way through content or are bringing their own group, but that wasn't me so I never got out of the newbie zones.
yeah, it sort of has a chicken-and-egg problem of not having enough people to make content doable without boxing. there are only, what, 200-250 players at peak and who knows how many of those are just boxes.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Client is great though, and it really reminds you how unclassic even the velious skinned titanium client is.
yeah. that's what drives me crazy about p1999 - it seems completely arbitrary at times as to what is considered classic and what isn't.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

cmdrk posted:

yeah. that's what drives me crazy about p1999 - it seems completely arbitrary at times as to what is considered classic and what isn't.

p99 is built off the back of eqemu using the titanium client, which was, for many years, the only way to emulate EQ unless you were a next-level nerd on one of those many, tiny offshoot emus
so titanium velious skinned is 'classic' because people remember emulating with it since like 2006. 'Classic' isnt just '1999 everquest' but also 'the stuff we as emu nerds have a fond memory for', I promise you

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
makes sense. don't get me wrong, i still love/enjoy P1999- need to get back to grinding that wizard :)

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
p99 is pretty much as classic as it can be given the technology, but also they have this dilemma of a change being classic "in spirit" or strictly classic in a literal sense. Like in classic before everyone was obsessed with min\maxing, there were regularly multiple groups in temple of cazic thule. Today it's a ghost town. If they made some change to the loot table there, or got rid of some of the pain in the rear end cleric mobs, and that got people to actually go there regularly, would that be more classic or less classic? Kinda both.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Relayer posted:

p99 is pretty much as classic as it can be given the technology, but also they have this dilemma of a change being classic "in spirit" or strictly classic in a literal sense. Like in classic before everyone was obsessed with min\maxing, there were regularly multiple groups in temple of cazic thule. Today it's a ghost town. If they made some change to the loot table there, or got rid of some of the pain in the rear end cleric mobs, and that got people to actually go there regularly, would that be more classic or less classic? Kinda both.

In that vein, should everyone have to connect a USB breathalyzer and blow a .12 at least to replicate being a dumb teenager when logging on?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Dustoph posted:

In that vein, should everyone have to connect a USB breathalyzer and blow a .12 at least to replicate being a dumb teenager when logging on?

"Since we can't do everything, let's do nothing" is a bad mindset but I get your point. And nerds take this game really seriously so god knows what the right answer would be. I'm definitely playing green just to see how p99 with an actual classic timeline plays out.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
It's cool, I was just making a joke. I really don't care about the minutiae of "classic"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not classic unless i can only view the gameworld through 1/4 of my screen.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not classic unless i can only view the gameworld through 1/4 of my screen.

Or none of your screen if you're meditating. Just watch the health bars, cleric, seeing whats going on would just distract you.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Relayer posted:

If they made some change to the loot table there, or got rid of some of the pain in the rear end cleric mobs, and that got people to actually go there regularly, would that be more classic or less classic? Kinda both.

i feel like rotating ZEMs would go a long way. or maybe it'd still be a ghost town, just a powerleveling ghost town.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Bybus Slago posted:

Or none of your screen if you're meditating. Just watch the health bars, cleric, seeing whats going on would just distract you.

To be fair there's not much to look at in the original zones. You'd get maybe a dozen polygons of wall with a couple kilobytes of textures slapped on.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

cmdrk posted:

i feel like rotating ZEMs would go a long way. or maybe it'd still be a ghost town, just a powerleveling ghost town.

Probably yeah. There really is no way to recreate people thinking a +5 dex cloak is worth camping. Or dealing with that loving horrible pyramid just to maybe get some lovely claws.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I’ve long thought they should have rotating ZEMs that are significant enough to draw people out and then just make them public. It’d be super fun if for one month Cazic, splitpaw, runnyeye, etc was a hot spot again. That’s never going to happen if the ZEMs are conjecture and wild guesses. I’ve barely seen those dungeons because they are completely dead and I don’t play enough to bring my own group.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Summit posted:

I’ve long thought they should have rotating ZEMs that are significant enough to draw people out and then just make them public. It’d be super fun if for one month Cazic, splitpaw, runnyeye, etc was a hot spot again. That’s never going to happen if the ZEMs are conjecture and wild guesses. I’ve barely seen those dungeons because they are completely dead and I don’t play enough to bring my own group.

One of the most fun experiences I had was going to Splitpaw on Red with some folks and learning about that zone which I'd never visited on live, or went once and died really quickly. There's a weird scripted event which happens where the previous gnoll ruler gets executed by the clan which took over Splitpaw at some point, and just thinking about this strange thing happening every 20 minutes in a ghost zone makes me want to play again. I loved all the weird stuff like that, like the princess who is a random fish in Lake Rathe and the actual God who slums sometimes as a fish in the fountain at that temple.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

One of the most fun experiences I had was going to Splitpaw on Red with some folks and learning about that zone which I'd never visited on live, or went once and died really quickly. There's a weird scripted event which happens where the previous gnoll ruler gets executed by the clan which took over Splitpaw at some point, and just thinking about this strange thing happening every 20 minutes in a ghost zone makes me want to play again. I loved all the weird stuff like that, like the princess who is a random fish in Lake Rathe and the actual God who slums sometimes as a fish in the fountain at that temple.

When I last played it was on Red as well and I got to like level 54 before I stopped. But I made it my mission in that play to go to less popular zones and level there. It was a lot of fun. I did Splitpaw, Cazic Thule, and the Hole. I wanted to do Kedge but never got around to it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

When I last played it was on Red as well and I got to like level 54 before I stopped. But I made it my mission in that play to go to less popular zones and level there. It was a lot of fun. I did Splitpaw, Cazic Thule, and the Hole. I wanted to do Kedge but never got around to it.

I did a bit of kedge solo exping to get some quest stuff and a hammerhead helm, it is a loving HARD zone for classic and extremely easy to get your rear end kicked.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I did a bit of kedge solo exping to get some quest stuff and a hammerhead helm, it is a loving HARD zone for classic and extremely easy to get your rear end kicked.

I hosed around in it for druid epics and some farming. Bring pet classes and a rezzer if you want to do anything in there.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Kedge apparently had a bonkers ZEM and was chock full of people, so thankfully they nerfed that, the zone didn't need it since the zone will always be busy due to the amazing drops and the incredible fun of fighting underwater in Everquest

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah kinda the bummer of say a private ac or eq or what have you server is you can never recreate people not knowing what the best spots are to level/where everything is. i think that's part of the reason people want an eq 1.5 (obviously pantheon will never come out and even if he did it's not the one).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah kinda the bummer of say a private ac or eq or what have you server is you can never recreate people not knowing what the best spots are to level/where everything is. i think that's part of the reason people want an eq 1.5 (obviously pantheon will never come out and even if he did it's not the one).

Even if everyone got mind wiped and EQ was released fresh today it would still get figured out a lot faster just because of how much easier it is now to spread information around.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Ginette Reno posted:

Even if everyone got mind wiped and EQ was released fresh today it would still get figured out a lot faster just because of how much easier it is now to spread information around.

I still remember those epic threads on Alakazam where people would speculate for hundreds of pages about broken quests and unfinished content under the impression that they were solvable mysteries. I wonder how much of that is just being young and credible and not understanding fundamentally how a computer game is created, though. The Norrath of my young imagination was full of that kind of undiscovered stuff, like the sphyinxes in Rathe Mountain and the Oracle and Mayong Mistmoore.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Hah. Reading EQLore while the servers were down for maintenance and printing out pages with information on quests, spells, maps, ... You're right, I hadn't considered that was part of it, too.

vvv EQ made me physically remove the "Windows" key from my keyboard since accidentally hitting it would bring up the Start Menu or whatever, and cause the game to alt tab and crash. This of course always happened in moments of panic, so it always resulted in death. vvv

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 28, 2019

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Alt Tab would make the game quit lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ginette Reno posted:

Funny, I was just talking about this subject in another mmo thread

A Strange Aeon posted:

I still remember those epic threads on Alakazam where people would speculate for hundreds of pages about broken quests and unfinished content under the impression that they were solvable mysteries. I wonder how much of that is just being young and credible and not understanding fundamentally how a computer game is created, though. The Norrath of my young imagination was full of that kind of undiscovered stuff, like the sphyinxes in Rathe Mountain and the Oracle and Mayong Mistmoore.

EQ has so much cut content to speculate about.

But I don't think its just being young and naive, the game has some secrets which do require you to use your brain, so its natural you're going to try to "solve" a few things that aren't actual puzzles. I see lots of people theorizing about things that end up just being bugs, even today.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
We'll have to see what they decide to do once Green gets closer, but they've talked about doing some un-classic things with blue like ZEM hotspots or other events in the past once it's not THE CLASSIC SERVER anymore. They might actually have the staff to support some of it as well if they're really serious about training people up to help with the shitshow that will be green for the first year.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

I see this sentiment expressed a lot. I actually don’t fully agree with it.

P99 to this day still has people speculating about various aspects of the game.

There also seem to be some category of mysteries that would still be hard in any future game to immediately crack. Like if a game came out with the Ancient Cyclops S Ro spawn cycle, I don’t see how anyone would actually figure it out. It was live on EQ for a dozen years before a dev finally explained the way it worked.

Edit: I also admittedly don’t understand data mining. Would it be impossible to somehow encrypt the game data client side so that all the stuff couldn’t immediately be mined like we see with WoW?

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 29, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

retpocileh posted:

There also seem to be some category of mysteries that would still be hard in any future game to immediately crack. Like if a game came out with the Ancient Cyclops S Ro spawn cycle, I don’t see how anyone would actually figure it out. It was live on EQ for a dozen years before a dev finally explained the way it worked.

Edit: I also admittedly don’t understand data mining. Would it be impossible to somehow encrypt the game data client side so that all the stuff couldn’t immediately be mined like we see with WoW?

You can encrypt it, but the game has to be able to decrypt it to read it, so it can't be foolproof.

The way to make foolproof mysteries is to have an extremely thin client and do everything server-side, and then you can't data mine. But there's performance tradeoffs the more you have to call the server for.

And you can't really stream textures or models reliably at run time, so those have to be stored and can be mined. But you could do mysteries still, just being smart.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I still remember when epic quests were released following the massive thread about the rogue one on the safehouse and offering to check out various wild theories.

EQ was special also at the time because not only was it deep, interesting, fun and addictive but people would spend hours just chilling in chat rooms shooting the poo poo without a great game featuring ample downtime, so you actually made friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

retpocileh posted:

I'm not saying there wouldn't be mysteries or that people would stop speculating but what knowledge did exist would be so much more freely available to everyone. Back in 1999 if I wanted to know what loot was dropped by The Golden Efreeti for example I'd have to ask around or beat him a bunch myself. Now even if I've never fought him I can wiki it and figure out what he drops and even how rare a drop might be. And there's free online maps of dungeons and all that.

Back then unless you were on one of the few forums out there it was almost all word of mouth when it came to figuring out where stuff was.