Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/IMS/status/1129502801250402304

Bump Day is over at 1:15, only 6 3 spots are up for grabs, and there's no drama of beating the gun and/or pulling your time and getting back in line? The end of the day is just a big practice session? :wtc:

What the hell is this crap? Is this an NBC thing? Like, seriously, IndyCar has ample chances to one-up NASCAR by making things simple and getting rid of gimmicks and then they dickstep. Does anybody care about Fast 9?

e- Holy poo poo, it's only three spots, not 6. 10-30 are locked in Saturday. I math good.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The problem is you have Preakness this weekend, which NBC also carries, so yes, this is an NBC thing. It allows them to air the last hour of day 1, and then the pole and "who gets bumped" sessions.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

iospace posted:

The problem is you have Preakness this weekend, which NBC also carries, so yes, this is an NBC thing. It allows them to air the last hour of day 1, and then the pole and "who gets bumped" sessions.

Now that I do a bit more digging, I think it's an NHL conflict. The Sharks and Blues are playing at 3.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/MarcoAndretti/status/1129518923890790402

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Do those holes in the floor actively create downforce that helps pull the high side of a tumbling car back down, or just let air flow through to reduce the lift it would otherwise generate? Some of these practice crashes almost make it look like the former.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

marshalljim posted:

Do those holes in the floor actively create downforce that helps pull the high side of a tumbling car back down, or just let air flow through to reduce the lift it would otherwise generate? Some of these practice crashes almost make it look like the former.

Supposed to be the latter, but no matter the mechanism, it works

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

marshalljim posted:

iospace is right but I absolutely agree with you, it looks like these cars hate getting airborne. Which is great!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Qualification order for tomorrow:
http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/documents/2019-05-17/05-17-19%20Indy%20500%20qual%20draw.pdf

https://twitter.com/jimayello/status/1129541521064255488
https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status/1129531831999762438
https://twitter.com/IndyCaronNBC/status/1129544898196189184

And in the lighter side:
https://twitter.com/12WillPower/status/1129530485628133378
(clutch your pearls, I see Colton Herta in that video!)https://twitter.com/12WillPower/status/1129549147571445760

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I have 200+ channels through my satellite TV service and you're telling me that most of the qualifying tomorrow will be on...none of them? What the gently caress is NBC Sports Gold

Why can't it just be on one of the 50+ sports TV channels I already loving get

Why is access to TV sporting events of all kinds so much harder and worse now than it was 20 years ago

Put these fuckers up against the wall when the revolution comes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The 2007-2010 broadcasts feel like a bit of a "Chore" to sit through.

It feels like ESPN kept missing the real "stories" of that era and were unable to kinda highlight the "stars" of that era very well.

It feels like had those races been featured in the 80's or 90's? There'd have been a Jim McKay, Paul Page or Bob Jenkins like figure walking through some of the stories from within the field.

Then they'd have been able to spotlight why a Wheldon, Franchitti, Helio or Dixon wins were important.

Example? Jeremy Schaap compared Wheldon to Graham Hill after Vegas in 2011.
That would have been the direction I sort of imagine it would have went.

Instead? It was this weird hyper focus on Marco, Graham and Danica.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Number_6 posted:

I have 200+ channels through my satellite TV service and you're telling me that most of the qualifying tomorrow will be on...none of them? What the gently caress is NBC Sports Gold

Why can't it just be on one of the 50+ sports TV channels I already loving get

Why is access to TV sporting events of all kinds so much harder and worse now than it was 20 years ago

Put these fuckers up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Sure.... you pay money for TV, but I can't help but notice that there's still money in your wallet... so I mean.... you need to pay more, clearly.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It really is concerning that NBC is only putting the last hour of Saturday on TV. I just looked at the CNBC schedule for Saturday and there is nothing but paid commercials until 1pm pacific (4pm eastern). Plenty of time to have shown the majority of qualifying, maybe even all of it prior to the final hour.

Nope. Gotta pay for gold, so you can join us 50 other idiots.

Monkey paw!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Are you making GBS threads me? Qualifying is on Gold?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

All but the final hour today. The last hour is on nbcsn.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Is there at least free radio coverage I can listen to?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Remember when Alonso first came to Indy and the youtube practice streams had 250,000 viewers? Well now you got 50 on a US-only paywall stream. Good job :thumbsup:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CactusWeasle posted:

Remember when Alonso first came to Indy and the youtube practice streams had 250,000 viewers? Well now you got 50 on a US-only paywall stream. Good job :thumbsup:

I can't wait for besweet to crash

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CactusWeasle posted:

But a single shareholder value was created

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Big Huski Boi posted:

Is there at least free radio coverage I can listen to?
I believe the IMS Radio Network will be graciously allowed to broadcast qualifying. Check them out on Tunein Radio:
https://tunein.com/radio/IndyCar-Radio-s269629/

Bentai fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 18, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Juncos not only got the car back together, they've run a no tow 226 in it.

Of course Nando ran a 228 in the same session, so hopefully the answer is they found a lot of speed and not "the track was 2mph faster".

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I have to work today but got tickets for bump day tomorrow. So hype for this.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
230 for pigot :gowron:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Are we starting the pool for pole speed yet?

I'm going 231.245

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spaced God posted:

Are we starting the pool for pole speed yet?

I'm going 231.245

We may not have pole runs though tomorrow. Indy has come out and said that bumping take priority over the pole runs tomorrow due to weather, and they probably have a 1 hour window to do runs in.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Fernando Alolso

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Alonso-sitting-on-sidepod-crying.mp4

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fuuuuuuuuck. Hinch lost the rear in T2, pancaked it into the wall. Was able to climb out under his own power. :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

He's cursed at Indy :smith:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Seeing 5T for Hinch on the timing, what's going on there? Spare car/entry?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The 5 is in a dumpster on 16th Street so

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah. SPM had a speedway backup car mostly prepped, just missing the engine. When Hinch put it in the wall, they began prepping 5T with an engine. Took only 2-1/2 hours!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Good to hear, I'll be sad if Hinch misses twice in a row. (I know he's not in yet)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Looks like Pato has his Red Bull bucket on now.

e: yep
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxP2XeiFoy9/

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Good to hear, I'll be sad if Hinch misses twice in a row. (I know he's not in yet)

Who are they going to fire as a scapegoat this time?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

mega run from JR :bahgawd:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nando, Hinch :smith:

Pippa :unsmith:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So are there guaranteed spots for full time teams or not yet I am confused. Are there 3 spots left for 6 cars and are they real or fake?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Elephanthead posted:

So are there guaranteed spots for full time teams or not yet I am confused. Are there 3 spots left for 6 cars and are they real or fake?

No guarnateed spots for fulltimers. The 6 cars left will fight for the 3 spots.

Chilton (full time), Hinch (full time), O'Ward (part time), Kaiser (one off), Karam (one off), and Alonso (one off)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

So are there guaranteed spots for full time teams or not yet I am confused.

No

quote:

Are there 3 spots left for 6 cars

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Of the cars left to get in, here's the speeds they had today. The first hinch speed is a car that is now in a dumpster, though.

My guess is that Hinch, Alonso, and Karam get in, and Chilton, O'Ward, and Kaiser miss.