Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

The more and more we have our biweekly D&D sessions, the more I’m convinced that playing TRPGs immediately after a full work day sucks. I need to be drat well rested for this poo poo.

I'm convinced this is because after 8 hours of client interaction, meetings, etc I'm sick of pretending not to be myself. It was fine when I used to labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What is the best trpg of the last 10 years and why is it Chuubo’s Marvelous Wish Granting Engine?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Splicer posted:

Used the first three classes as input (then fed the last few lines back in as input to see where it went)

Aberdeen - This dashing warrior gets the benefits of Stealth while fighting in formation.
Catch-a-Catch-All - A group of six friendly characters that all come equipped with an assortment of useful weapons that help them to take down foes and collect coins, tokens, and gems.
Stealth - Just don't let her go for the kill. She'll turn around and charge at whoever she can catch with quick turns.
Powers - Any character gain +2 to all stats. She also gains a single Power rank that she always gets at the end of a round.
Siege Combat - After spending a week in the dungeon, choose from three of the Dungeon tiles that appear. These 3 tiles have been selected along with 4 other 3 tiles with the same or similar design. The player with the most gold at the end of the turn is the leader of the group.
Fancy Weapons - A character gain one of the following:
Sword - +2 to all weapon attack rolls.
Hornet Shield - The characters gain +2 shields during the round.
Bolting - The characters gain a +3 penalty to damage rolls made with a weapon that's aimed at them. They retain any damage reduction applied by their armor.
Avenger - The characters gain a +3 bonus to initiative rolls.
The above stats add up to roughly 15 AC, making it pretty difficult to kick your opponents when running at close range.
While it's possible for characters to survive such attacks, the rest of your hit points should always be reduced by 5, which helps mitigate the risk of death.
If a character is knocked down, they die and can no longer move. If a character gets knocked unconscious or dies while running, the fight ends there. If they have half of their hit points to spare while running, then they can keep running. That might not seem like a lot, but the risk you took in being tackled by an ogre, for instance, only increases by 5 points.

Yeah, it took a lot of tries to get interesting classes out of it and not just rules, items and generic rogue/paladin/wizard descriptions. Items are even harder since it's more likely to just give crafting lists or switch to something else. I didn't get as many as a result.

quote:

Lucky Seed - A lucky seed.
Gift Boxes - A set of four small storage pouches which you give to other people. Usually have random contents from the Gift Box collection.
Gift Vouchers - A kind of random gift, usually from another member of the city guard or from an NPC in the marketplace. These allow you to receive a variety of gifts from different individuals, for your benefit.
Gift Rope - A rope you can carry around, that you can walk around the town on to get to the more interesting treasures.
Makeshift Armor - This is something you make yourselves, and it's not entirely practical. For some reason, the guards always have the most ridiculous looking suits of armor made from something completely mundane, but they have them. It's just one thing everyone always has around,
Fingergun - can have a range of 1 yard.
Pumpkin Rope - Can go from 5 yards to 12 yards and is great at grabbing food out of trash. It is also used to make cooking pots on.
The Sword - A sword from an ancient Greek Legend.
Sword: ??????????????????? The Sword has a sword that's used to defend itself from attacks.
Dish of Water - Used to create food which is called rice porridge by the Horseman
Drill - The drill's power is immense. When it's fully charged and used, it will destroy rocks, stone and stone debris
Drill Rod - The drilling rod's power is immense. When it's fully charged and used, it will shatter clay objects with a mighty rumble
Blitzcannon - An energy weapon which shoots missiles in all directions.
Gravel Dart - The gravel dart can cut through stone, granite and coal. In its final state, it can turn any rock into sand. Great for digging deeper.
Lightning Cannon - Use it when you can't see
Turtle Head - ????
Ring of Darkness - Allows you to cast Darkness spells without actually putting out your own light. Make sure you use this if you find all your Light coming out the same location.
Shield of Light | Shield of Love | Shield of Defense (for defense from other weapons, and defense against magic/magic magic/physical magic)
Orb of Weight - 【Strength】(I think) (This one I need to find out)
Brawler's Claws - Not very deadly, but good for knocking foes over.
Shard of Hate - An incredibly powerful rune - the shards can destroy anything they touch.
Lurker's Blade - A rare blade made of mithral. It is also very potent for healing and debuffing enemies.
Souvenir Necklace - 『Wear these』
Mask of the Moon - Protects against moonlight attacks. Great for night vision.
Celtic Crest - A piece of armor that allows you to cast a spell. Useful to deal with undead and some nasty magical creatures.
Crystal Cloak - A cloak made from crystal. It is a heavy armor with many spells.
Glass Plate - A fine material made by the Dwarves who are still able to grow it naturally
Toothbrush - Also an aetheric shield. (Requires skill level 3 to craft).
Strawberry - It's almost impossible not to want one after finding one in an NPC's shop.
Goblin Tonic - A potion which will make the creature feel good for 1 hour. Used by goblins when they attack or while fighting.
Clue Scroll - ??????? In this case its another one of the three hidden items, so I will skip it.
And... You were right!

The Ultimate Weapon - ????

Yes, that's right. An Ultimate weapon I built myself.

I am the greatest, the absolute best, the best, the greatest master.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Coolness Averted posted:

Pretty sure it's the same character, but it's the typical thing that happens where a neat gimmick in a very silly or specific context gets readapted for -and probably by- folks who didn't 'get' the original, or don't realize that something worked well as a very limited thing.

Ok found it, it's Batman the Merciless:

(Fear)

Batman who Laughs:

(Death)

Still no Mortis or Fire tho.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

moths posted:

(Fear)

Batman who Laughs:

(Death)

Still no Mortis or Fire tho.

Should post the rest of the Dark Knights(and their boss Barbatos) while we're on this topic to highlight just how edgy Metal was as an event

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

moths posted:

(Fear)

I now want another Batman/Judge Dredd crossover. Mostly because they could re-use That Panel.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Judge Dreed v Batman: I AM THE LAAAAW!

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

It's just so goddamn absurd and 3edgy5u, and honestly the main Justice League line just made me not care at all about him with all the tell-don't-show 'brilliance' on display that just loving realllllly drags every time Lex and Batjoker are on the page. Ooooh bondage batman is soooo insightful and wiiiiiiise talking like a sitcom motivational speaker.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Covok posted:

What is the best trpg of the last 10 years and why is it Chuubo’s Marvelous Wish Granting Engine?

From everything I've seen, Chuubo’s Marvelous Wish Granting Engine is one of those perfect games that, is, indeed, so perfect that it hardly ever sees play.

Much like games like Castle Falkenstein, Unknown Armies, or Spellbound Kingdoms, its star is too hot to actually touch.

(Full disclosure: I'm in an Unknown Armies game right now.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Cracking up at Dread Emperor Norton batman in the middle there

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
lmao at psycho mantis up there

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Darwinism posted:

It's just so goddamn absurd and 3edgy5u, and honestly the main Justice League line just made me not care at all about him with all the tell-don't-show 'brilliance' on display that just loving realllllly drags every time Lex and Batjoker are on the page. Ooooh bondage batman is soooo insightful and wiiiiiiise talking like a sitcom motivational speaker.

Uhhh those look epic as hell dude

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Plutonis posted:

My inner 14-year-old might agree but he's too busy pointing out how dumb that their entire shtick is "other character mashed up with Batman, but eeeeeeeeeeeeevil"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

From everything I've seen, Chuubo’s Marvelous Wish Granting Engine is one of those perfect games that, is, indeed, so perfect that it hardly ever sees play.

Much like games like Castle Falkenstein, Unknown Armies, or Spellbound Kingdoms, its star is too hot to actually touch.

(Full disclosure: I'm in an Unknown Armies game right now.)

I played 1 Chuubos game with three goons who I probably shouldn't name without permission. It was awesome. Then a one shot of it when my Burning Wheel group had three missing members one day. It was awesome.

Its sad I can't play it more.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Darwinism posted:

The one-shots for these guys sold like funnel cakes covered in powered crack. The Red Death was hard to find for a while.

This was the last story during DC Rebirth, funny enough, and technically started the New Age of Heroes, which went nowhere.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm looking forward to people getting to play Glitch which is basically a combination of Nobilis and Chuubo with a brand-new conflict system, based on playing as Excrucian Strategists.

I usually describe it as "a game where you play someone who has unbelievable cosmic powers but can't reliably hold a job or dress themselves."

Then people say things like "very relatable."

So yeah, we're making "hot mess epic fantasy" the new "isekai."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Who put that bat mask on Doomsday?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait why is Aquabat a girl instead of the Wonder Woman batman

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm looking forward to people getting to play Glitch which is basically a combination of Nobilis and Chuubo with a brand-new conflict system, based on playing as Excrucian Strategists.

I usually describe it as "a game where you play someone who has unbelievable cosmic powers but can't reliably hold a job or dress themselves."

Awesome!

Got any more deetz or place to follow the development?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Covok posted:

Awesome!

Got any more deetz or place to follow the development?

Right now it’s in closed beta, but there should be a Kickstarter sometime this year.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm super looking forward to this game just because I look forward to everything -- but I have to admit that queer Pastoral with occasional dips into Techno is exactly my speed, while playing a Strategist is only fractionally more appealing to me than playing a Warmain. (gently caress Warmains.) So I'll mostly be looking for tweaks to Chuubo's rather than planning to play Glitch as written, I think.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Her world is a gender reversed one

Darwinism posted:

Yeah it is ridiculous and edgy, though 8 year old me would have wanted action figures of all of them

Also I bet that the next Batman cartoon we get will have a more kid friendly version of Metal happen cause it's the sort of thing that would be perfect for animation

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

The Merciless is a Batman from a universe where he worked with Wonder Woman to defeat Ares. The Merciless ended up putting on Ares' helmet, taking his power, and ended up becoming the new god of war in the process of defeating Ares.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Who put that bat mask on Doomsday?

So, from left to right here, we have:

The Drowned! This Batwoman (Bryce Wayne, because that's how you name women versions of existing male characters) loved killin' metahumans after her boyfriend got killed by one, and ended up in a full-scale war against Atlantis that saw her become that which she hated in order to more effectively murder people underwater.
The Devastator! When you fight monsters, you must take care not to become a monster. When you fight Superman, you must take care to become a monster because only a monster can beat Superman! Especially if he's a murder-crazy Superman.
The Murder Machine! When your butler and father figure dies, the best way to honour his memory is to create a super-powerful artificial intelligence to replace him. Then that artificial intelligence goes crazy and uploads itself into your brain, turning you into a cyborg who kills all his friends.
The Batman Who Laughs! Turns out the reason that Batman doesn't just kill the Joker is that the Joker's body is booby-trapped with a potent plot device neurotoxin that will transform whoever kills the Joker into a new Joker! And not just in this weird alternate universe either, turns out the regular continuity Joker has this as well.
The Merciless! This alternate Batman was dating Wonder Woman, and their idea of a good time was battling the god of war Ares, who'd gone and built himself a suit of magical armour that enhanced murder-powers a hundredfold. In order to beat Ares, Batman put on the murder armour and you know exactly how this ends.
The Red Death! Tried to jumpstart the Batmobile into superfast mode by strapping the Flash to the hood. It promptly explodes and Batman gets speed powers. This is literally what happens.
The Dawnbreaker! Young Bruce Wayne saw his parents shot in front of him, and due to circumstances this makes him eligible to be a Green Lantern! But when he tries to use the ring to revenge-murder Joe Chill, he gets told that's against the Green Lantern code. You know what else is against the Green Lantern code? Being so angry that your brain overwrites the ring's programming and lets you take control all of the entire Green Lantern energy in the universe to do murders. Which is what happened.

Featured in background: BARBATOS, THE BAT-GOD, CONSUMER OF UNIVERSES.

Feature in foreground: BABY DARKSEID doo doo doo doo doo doo

Covok
May 27, 2013

You like Batman, do you?

Well then, I'll give you all the Batmen in the world!

*massive sales success*

I don't understand it. Spider-Man fans went mad in fifteen minutes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Other than the Batman who Laughs and the Drowned those are all Monster Truck names.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Fuego Fish posted:

Congratulations on being the first person I have ever seen quote the Baby Shark thing with the correct number of 'doo's.

It's a small thing but it drives me up the wall.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

super sweet best pal posted:

Drill - The drill's power is immense. When it's fully charged and used, it will destroy rocks, stone and stone debris
I enjoyed this list, and particularly this entry, which makes me want companies to use this program to write copy for their commercial releases. Just imagine seeing this sweet bit of text on a Black & Decker box

Plutonis posted:

Yeah I have no doubt that the characters themselves are eye-rollingly bad or something but if you just take a look at that panel as a piece of art you cannot help but think "hell yeah, what up undead world-conquerors, how you doin'?"

Covok posted:

I don't understand it. Spider-Man fans went mad in fifteen minutes.
Thank you for reminding me of a long-forgotten inspirational moment from my childhood

And high five Potatocubed for accurate Baby Sharkin' importance

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It's like half of me knows it's edgelord and probably very bad, but the rest of me can't help but think they look rad af. And it's probably easier for me because I don't give a solitary poo poo about comic books, but yeah

The Drowned, The Batman Who Laughs, and The Dawnbreaker are the coolest.

The Murder Machine and The Read Death are both hard to like, though

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 17, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Those do indeed look very dumb and rad.

at the same time I never want to read anything with them in it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I'm convinced this is because after 8 hours of client interaction, meetings, etc I'm sick of pretending not to be myself. It was fine when I used to labour.

Wanting to be energetic about RP is definitely an issue. It’s one of my sticking points. “Hey, want to try X? It’s a bit unusual and I’d be getting used to it too.” “Nah then, don’t bother dude, D&D is fine.”

quote:

Tried to jumpstart the Batmobile into superfast mode by strapping the Flash to the hood.

That is simultaneously brilliant and ridiculous.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Fuego Fish posted:

So, from left to right here, we have:

The Drowned! This Batwoman (Bryce Wayne, because that's how you name women versions of existing male characters) loved killin' metahumans after her boyfriend got killed by one, and ended up in a full-scale war against Atlantis that saw her become that which she hated in order to more effectively murder people underwater.
The Devastator! When you fight monsters, you must take care not to become a monster. When you fight Superman, you must take care to become a monster because only a monster can beat Superman! Especially if he's a murder-crazy Superman.
The Murder Machine! When your butler and father figure dies, the best way to honour his memory is to create a super-powerful artificial intelligence to replace him. Then that artificial intelligence goes crazy and uploads itself into your brain, turning you into a cyborg who kills all his friends.
The Batman Who Laughs! Turns out the reason that Batman doesn't just kill the Joker is that the Joker's body is booby-trapped with a potent plot device neurotoxin that will transform whoever kills the Joker into a new Joker! And not just in this weird alternate universe either, turns out the regular continuity Joker has this as well.
The Merciless! This alternate Batman was dating Wonder Woman, and their idea of a good time was battling the god of war Ares, who'd gone and built himself a suit of magical armour that enhanced murder-powers a hundredfold. In order to beat Ares, Batman put on the murder armour and you know exactly how this ends.
The Red Death! Tried to jumpstart the Batmobile into superfast mode by strapping the Flash to the hood. It promptly explodes and Batman gets speed powers. This is literally what happens.
The Dawnbreaker! Young Bruce Wayne saw his parents shot in front of him, and due to circumstances this makes him eligible to be a Green Lantern! But when he tries to use the ring to revenge-murder Joe Chill, he gets told that's against the Green Lantern code. You know what else is against the Green Lantern code? Being so angry that your brain overwrites the ring's programming and lets you take control all of the entire Green Lantern energy in the universe to do murders. Which is what happened.

Featured in background: BARBATOS, THE BAT-GOD, CONSUMER OF UNIVERSES.

Not even the only time Batman has used a baby version of a villain as part of his plans, let me introduce to the thread the majesty that is Jarro;

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

This also happened (Grodd mind controlling a baby supervillain to gently caress over the Flash) so someone just really is stuck on the concept of using superpowered children as tools

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Is that a starfish with an eye?

Anyway, I was forwarded an interesting forum post on the history of RPGs in Brazil.

Vampire made a big splash; Call of Cthulhu is not even mentioned.

https://rpgista.com.br/2014/07/04/history-brazilian-rpgs/

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Helical Nightmares posted:

Call of Cthulhu is not even mentioned.

On the flipside I've heard Call of Cthulu is very popular in Japan. Kinda unexpected, I think.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vampire and the World of Darkness as a whole were the real hegemonical systems here instead of D&D since the 90s yeah. Strange enough Exalted and Scion never got localized though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I really wish the new Tormenta RPG books had an english translation because I absolutely love that silly setting that was a big part of my teen rpg player years and had all the d20 version books and want to run a forum/discord game set on it

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Darwinism posted:

This also happened (Grodd mind controlling a baby supervillain to gently caress over the Flash) so someone just really is stuck on the concept of using superpowered children as tools

It's a classic, if dumb, plot concept: What happens when you're not allowed to punch the tool-child, because they're innocent? It's about as thrilling, in concept, as the 'you can't punch me, paladin, my armor is made of BABIES' D&D cliche.

On the other hand, Jarro seems amazing, so, there's different ways it can go.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

On the flipside I've heard Call of Cthulu is very popular in Japan. Kinda unexpected, I think.

Yep.

https://twitter.com/IHeartFargo/status/1129161553809498113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The head of marketing for Chaosium said that the Japanese version of CoC outsells the English-language version.