Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Thank you for proving my point. Minor changes to minor mechanics, some qol changes, and the fundamentals underlying the system (turn based, separate battle screen, etc) haven't been touched.

Ask yourself this question; do you ever believe a Pokemon game; mainline or not- will have the exploring, capturing, battling, and commands in real time, without warping to a battle screen?
Do you ever foresee a Pokemon game that plays like the show, rather than vice versa?

If so, when?
Because it won't be in the next five years, and probably not the next ten.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sweet, it's Bad Ideas To Reinvent Pokemon time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pokemon Snap is an awesome idea. :colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Funky Valentine posted:

Sweet, it's Bad Ideas To Reinvent Pokemon time.

That’s where I think the madden comparison works. There aren’t a lot of changes between versions but there honestly doesn’t need to be. Only so many ways to sim a football league and only so many ways to make a game with catching Pokémon with a thin veneer of story

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

GO also had the purpose of getting their mobile players to buy Switches. Which is how we ended up with a 2nd one cause my GF wanted to play more Pokémon a whole lot.

You all forget the bigger world sometimes.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
GameFreak also made Gigawrecker which is coming out on all 3 systems now and is pretty good

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Idk what this argument is all about but Diglett is a real lovely linebacker I tell you what.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would play american football with pokemon, yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

I would play american football with pokemon, yes.

Machamp is finally meta

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How long have you guys waited to play botw a second time, and how was it playing it again?

It’s been a year for me, and i’m thinking of playing it again. I think I put at least 200 hours into it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Machamp is finally meta

Hitmonlee on special teams seems obvious but who's QB

Machamp is locked to linebacker ofc

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ChocNitty posted:

How long have you guys waited to play botw a second time, and how was it playing it again?

It’s been a year for me, and i’m thinking of playing it again. I think I put at least 200 hours into it.

I replayed the whole thing about a year after release. It helped that I tried to vary the experience: I played on master mode, tried walking on paths/ riding horses more to really immerse myself in the world instead of just climbing everything, going around and doing all the dlc content.

It's an incredible game op, and by its nature is very good to replay. Biggest issue is you'll probably remember the shrine solutions.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I haven't played since the DLC came out, but I've been thinking of jumping back in lately.

Not sure if I just want to putter around or actually start anew.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ciaphas posted:

Machamp is locked to linebacker ofc

Aron Rodgers of course.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Never count out Hitmonlee.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
To play devil's advocate for a moment:

Every game dev ever: "There's no way to make an engaging multiplayer FPS without it being a gritty realistic shootmans full of AK-47's and blood!"

Nintendo: *makes Splatoon*

CharlestheHammer posted:

only so many ways to make a game with catching Pokémon with a thin veneer of story

Niantic: *makes Pokemon Go*

But here's the thing: Pokemon Go didn't grab me same way that the mainline Pokemon games do, because I like and enjoy the

Mister Facetious posted:

fundamentals underlying the system (turn based, separate battle screen, etc)

What Let's Go did right, for me, was keep enough of the standard RPG stuff around to still feel like a Pokemon game, while introducing a bunch of changes that switched things up enough to make it a fresh, exciting, engaging experience.

There have been a million and one Pokemon spinoffs, most of which have variations of catching and fighting adapted into whatever genre the game is. But none of them could be mistaken for a mainline Pokemon game, because a mainline Pokemon game has to have mashing through battle menus to attack another Pokemon.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 18, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I played Pokemon go for a few seconds and then I saw the only pokemon for miles was some piece of poo poo I had never heard of. No thanks.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oddish Beckham Jr. reportedly leaving the Castilia Giants.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

asecondduck posted:

Niantic: *makes Pokemon Go*

I specifically mentioned that the games that are significantly different aren't made by Game Freak. That was one of my points.

They outsource the IP because they don't want to catch flak if a Pokemon game that dares to be different is a flop.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Facetious posted:

I specifically mentioned that the games that are significantly different aren't made by Game Freak. That was one of my points.

They outsource the IP because they don't want to catch flak if the game is a flop.

I think you misunderstood my point, which is that the mainline Pokemon games Gamefreak makes are RPGs because the mainline Pokemon games are RPGs.

I mean, it's like saying that, I dunno, ID Software should make a atmospheric Doom game that relies on stealth and sneaking in darkened environments because all the other Doom games had the same "be loud, run around, and shoot everything in bright rooms" gameplay and it's getting tired.

Wait, hold on

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
MonHunGenU: do the prowlers get to use all the same armor/equipment as standard characters?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The world didn't end when Mario went from crossing a finish line in the first three games to a collectathon.
I think the Pokemon brand can weather Game Freak making a "merely good" real time game as a mainline release.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 18, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

asecondduck posted:

I think you misunderstood my point, which is that the mainline Pokemon games Gamefreak makes are RPGs because the mainline Pokemon games are RPGs.

I mean, it's like saying that, I dunno, ID Software should make a atmospheric Doom game that relies on stealth and sneaking in darkened environments because all the other Doom games had the same "be loud, run around, and shoot everything in bright rooms" gameplay and it's getting tired.

Wait, hold on

Doom is already a stealth game. Nobody can sound the alarms if everybody is loving murderd first.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

asecondduck posted:

Wait, hold on

This is worst idea ever posted in this thread, nice.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Facetious posted:

The world didn't end when Mario went from crossing a finish line in the first three games to grabbing stars, shine gets, or power moons.
I think the Pokemon brand can weather Game Freak making a "merely good" real time game as a mainline release.

Nintendo hasn't abandoned the crossing the finish line game play of Mario games!

... they're just crowdsourcing them now. :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

d3lness posted:

Doom is already a stealth game. Nobody can sound the alarms if everybody is loving murderd first.

The last two Wolfensteins actually have this, don't they? Only commanders or something can call for reinforcements?

I forget, i haven't played it for a couple years

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

s.i.r.e. posted:

That was the point.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ciaphas posted:

Throh.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

ChocNitty posted:

I played it at release and have been afraid to go back to it because it won't be the same :ohdear:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

...I was making a (reductive) joke about Doom III.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ciaphas posted:

Passimian duh

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The best part of BOTW is the first 5-20 hours of a virgin play through. I'm sure it's still fun to dink around in 3 years later but unless you've got a MIB flashy thing I don't think you'll get nearly the same enjoyment out of it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

asecondduck posted:

...I was making a (reductive) joke about Doom III.

Doom 3 had stealth? Why don't I remember this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

I beat it on Wii U and then bought a switch and started over.

The trick is to just play differently than your first run.

My second run I skipped fast travel to force myself to see the world, and I did the gerudo beast last so I didn’t get yiga chasing me down for the entire game.

I also did the dlc on my second run so that added a lot

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

less laughter posted:

Passimian duh

:tizzy:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
in the spirit of "only using new pokemon" when playing a game for the first time, in Black 2 I've boxed my starter for the first time. I feel guilty

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Boxing your starter is your Arceus-given right, it is just and lawful good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Counterpoint, catch no other pokemon and beat the entire game using your starter.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I want to play this pokefootball game, but only if franchise tagging involves a mini game with a tranq gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Growlithe used "hold out".

Its not very effective...