Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
The fundamental idea-"sure we have Cersei at our mercy right now, but let's bring a zombie to KL instead. Cersei will see the light, totally help us out, and not at all try to stab us in the back or use the time to strengthen her position"-seems pretty nuts.

Tyrion's season 6-8 actions have been so consistently stupid that it would almost make more sense if he was actively working as a double agent for Cersei. I dunno, maybe he was underwater long enough during the stone men encounter to suffer serious brain damage and nobody noticed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Why because they can resist the ring? Still no reason to let the non-Frodo ones go with them when the literal entire world is at stake, like the two that were spying on the meeting and just barge in like "we're going too!" and the big elf man is like "oh ok sure why not" and then they nearly get everyone killed multiple times because of it.

I mean, it's a pretty good job they took Sam...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

That DICK! posted:

I miss when Tyrion was good

I miss when he hosed.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
An advisor who won't gently caress won't think.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Little Kielbasa posted:

The fundamental idea-"sure we have Cersei at our mercy right now, but let's bring a zombie to KL instead. Cersei will see the light, totally help us out, and not at all try to stab us in the back or use the time to strengthen her position"-seems pretty nuts.

Yeah I don't know what people are smoking. It's a really dumb plan that required everyone and everything to act out of character, hell, out of universe, to generate the circumstance "Night King obtains a dragon". That's it, the only reason for that entire plan and they went about it in a really stupid way.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah I don't know what people are smoking. It's a really dumb plan that required everyone and everything to act out of character, hell, out of universe, to generate the circumstance "Night King obtains a dragon". That's it, the only reason for that entire plan and they went about it in a really stupid way.

Sending a dragon was dumb yea. But Jon believes Cersei thinks the whole white walkers thing was a joke/ a lie to trick her and believing he needed physical proof to convince her, so that she'd put the fate of humanity over a crown isn't dumb from a writing point of view at all. It's totally in his character, and his character does some stupid poo poo because he believes it's the right thing to do. It's his nature to hope for the best in people. Same reasoning applies for why he tells Sasna the truth about his parentage even though we know she'll spill the beans.

edit: though it is dumb in hindsight, sending the dragon when they believed the White Walkers had zero anti dragon tech wasn't the worst decision as it was the only way they'd get back so fast (though why they didnt use the teleportation tech available to everyone else in the show i'm not sure). It's like sending a jet against a primitive tribe, you dont expect the tribe to have AA missiles.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 18, 2019

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They should have let the zombie eat Cersei at the parlay like it tried to do.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Just Chamber posted:

Eh the guy asking for s4 info formatted it that way, so i simply kept the format. Probably also decreases the chance when trying not to read the rest of the thread they accidentally read something that ruins the rest of the series as all the future spoilers are out in the open.

Thanks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Just Chamber posted:

Sending a dragon was dumb yea. But Jon believing Cersei thinks the whole white walkers thing was a joke/ a lie to trick her and believing he needed physical proof to convince her, that she'd put the fate of humanity over a crown isn't dumb from a writing point of view at all. It's totally in his character, and his character does some stupid poo poo because he believes it's the right thing to do. It's his nature to hope for the best in people. Same reasoning applies for why he tells Sasna the truth about his parentage even though we know she'll spill the beans.

Right, and there should have been a chorus of dissent from Varys, Tyrion, Davos, Jorah and basically everyone else with more sense that it's a really, really stupid plan. Instead Tyrion, the person who knows Cersei the best, agrees with the mission and they set off with no actual plan beyond "capture zombie". They don't even have an escape plan because they don't bring any horses. They were just gonna sneak up on one and sprint away on foot from the rest of the army? I'm gonna stop posting about this because its actually just making me upset at how stupid it is.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Tyrion's season 6-8 actions have been so consistently stupid that it would almost make more sense if he was actively working as a double agent for Cersei. I dunno, maybe he was underwater long enough during the stone men encounter to suffer serious brain damage and nobody noticed?

They didn't even want Cersei's help at first, they just wanted her to not attack their rear while they dealt with the zombies. Technically she did no less than what they wanted.

If there was ever a blueprint for a full season 8 (I know, I know) they might have had Cersei actually betray them or take advantage of the distraction and do more than hire up a bunch of mercenaries. Instead she spun her wheels like the writers did until it was time to punch out and go home.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Yeah but have you met people and seen the plans they come up with to accomplish goals? Everyone is loving moronic.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
For example, the famous and professional show runners who produced several good seasons of Game of Thrones also produced several awful seasons of Game of Thrones.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Yea they do at least convince Cersei not to stab them in the back whilst they move their armies to defend Winterfell as she knows the threat is real, but she's gambling that both armies are going to kill each other off.

Tyrion acting dumb and not realising she wouldn't keep her word is however yes, very stupid and it's a shame they made him basically an idiot for the last few seasons.

I can excuse them coming up with the plan to nab a zombie because they're desperate for help, Dany is still sane and prefers the idea of a peaceful resolution to the conflict "I dont wish to be Queen of the ashes" and they know if they attack the Lannisters first they likely will be too depleted to defend from the WW and if they dont convince Cersei it's real they're going to get turbo hosed in the rear. But yes how they went about it as you said with no horses etc was pretty stupid though i'm not sure horses are shown to be able to survive beyond the wall so who knows.

Also remember Benjen Stark being in that episode? I didn't and was just reminded by a wiki, wow what a pointless death/ character.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I saw an interview with Pilou Asbaek that someone had run through google translate, and apparently the reason Euron wanted to fight Jaime when he made it to land was because DnD thought it would be cool to have their two Danish actors have a fight scene.

Woof.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I saw an interview with Pilou Asbaek that someone had run through google translate, and apparently the reason Euron wanted to fight Jaime when he made it to land was because DnD thought it would be cool to have their two Danish actors have a fight scene.

Woof.

Yeah on the behind the scenes video uploaded to Youtube they dubbed it the Danebowl. Like, that was the entire hook for that scene.

E: gently caress Euron was such a garbage character

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 18, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There is the love triangle angle but that was very underdeveloped considering Euron doesn't even react to learning that the child is not his.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

"Well you see, we just forgot that the fans didn't care about Euron"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It's going to loving rule when everyone that was left up north are just never mentioned again in the finale, just forgotten and their plotlines hosed off.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

GoutPatrol posted:

It's going to loving rule when everyone that was left up north are just never mentioned again in the finale, just forgotten and their plotlines hosed off.

If we dont see that fat cowardly gently caress Sam again i'll be very happy.

Sansa has to come down right? To act all smug once Dany is deposed. I have a feeling Brienne will come down, maybe have her duel Grey Worm or something, because if she doesn't come down looking for Jaime then that's some bullshit.

Bran I dont even know if they have any idea what to with him after the NK is defeated, maybe warg into the dragon? Explain to Jon why for some reason he didnt warn him that his aunt was going to burn 500000 men women and children alive?

Who's left? Gendry? Maybe Gendry could be made king as he'll be the next in line if Jon and Dany kick it, I think? But that would be such a lovely ending because who the hell wants to see him on the throne?

Who else?

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 18, 2019

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If they really needed a scenario where the Night King gets a dragon, they could have just made it a suicide mission. Same squad of people, with the goal of trying to end the night before it begins. Possibly doing it behind Dany’s back. Possibly not, wouldn’t matter. At some point Dany goes soft and flies north with her stupid dragons to rescue the lot. And Viserion gets killed.

Still dumb but a heck lot better than capturing a wight for a queensmeet.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just Chamber posted:

Sansa has to come down right? To act all smug once Dany is desposed.

She’s going to come down for the Star Wars-like award ceremony conclusion where everyone smiles and congratulates each other.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The last episode will be a love letter to the real (book) fans, and just be Riker in a holodeck simulation of Hot Pie's kitchen eating Direwolf bread and lemon cakes for 80 minutes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There is the love triangle angle but that was very underdeveloped considering Euron doesn't even react to learning that the child is not his.

Apparently that's because the actor went for the "I only read my lines so that my reaction in the moment can be genuine" angle and legitimately couldn't hear Peter Dinklage from that far away.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

christmas boots posted:

Apparently that's because the actor went for the "I only read my lines so that my reaction in the moment can be genuine" angle and legitimately couldn't hear Peter Dinklage from that far away.

If only there was some way to employ a person to provide some sort of "direction" as to how he reacted if the first take was inappropriate.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

christmas boots posted:

He called it the “Michael Caine method” which is a funny reason for not having any idea what’s happening in the scene you’re in.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah on the behind the scenes video uploaded to Youtube they dubbed it the Danebowl. Like, that was the entire hook for that scene.

E: gently caress Euron was such a garbage character

I liked Euron, mostly because he seemed like he wandered into the set from a different show and everyone just rolled with it, like 'Yeah, fuckin whatever. We got a greasy pajama pirate now.'

'Euron fighting Jaime would be cool! We could call it the Danebowl, you know like the Cleganebowl!'

'That doesn't make any sense.'

'But it would be so cool!'

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I liked Euron, mostly because he seemed like he wandered into the set from a different show and everyone just rolled with it, like 'Yeah, fuckin whatever. We got a greasy pajama pirate now.'

'Euron fighting Jaime would be cool! We could call it the Danebowl, you know like the Cleganebowl!'

'That doesn't make any sense.'

'But it would be so cool!'

Exactly! I really didn't mind him at all on my last rewatch, he's stupid and fun and he never buttons his shirt properly, and he just appears from nowhere and does whatever he wants and is motivated solely by wanting to gently caress Cersei, which is certainly a reasonable and straightforward goal. My favorite part was when his ships appear in the middle of Yara's fleet and he smashes down in this ridiculous boarding plank with a huge grin on his face, then kills Whippy Snake and Stabby Snake and snatches up Titty Snake and their mom to be tortured to death by Cersei (which is proper foreshadowing that he's going to eventually gently caress Cersei.)

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Phenotype posted:

Exactly! I really didn't mind him at all on my last rewatch, he's stupid and fun and he never buttons his shirt properly, and he just appears from nowhere and does whatever he wants and is motivated solely by wanting to gently caress Cersei, which is certainly a reasonable and straightforward goal. My favorite part was when his ships appear in the middle of Yara's fleet and he smashes down in this ridiculous boarding plank with a huge grin on his face, then kills Whippy Snake and Stabby Snake and snatches up Titty Snake and their mom to be tortured to death by Cersei (which is proper foreshadowing that he's going to eventually gently caress Cersei.)

Well yes of course he's fun, but he belongs in a Pirates of The Caribbean movie not Game of Thrones.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Euron's problem is much the same as with the character he replaced: Ramsay. They're fun characters for a bit , but their shtick gets old fast, and the writers got way too indulgent with them.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
This season is dumb as gently caress but I have no idea why people are latching onto the Danebowl thing so much. Seems pretty obvious to me that it's just a play on Cleganebowl when they realized their two Danish actors would have a showdown

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

ALFbrot posted:

This season is dumb as gently caress but I have no idea why people are latching onto the Danebowl thing so much. Seems pretty obvious to me that it's just a play on Cleganebowl when they realized their two Danish actors would have a showdown

Because it's shite that a twat like Euron (essentially) killed Jaime loving Lannister :colbert:

edit: changed it from bitch to twat, Bronn style

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 18, 2019

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Jaime probably would’ve had the same exact death, stab wound or not

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jaime and Cersei died getting their rocks off.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They should have had Victarion

If Sauron wasn't a loving idiot then getting your enemy to deliver the ring right to you is otherwise a pretty brilliant move.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It is kind of funny to read people trying to good-faith interpret anything about this dumpster fire season when y'all know in your hearts the only revisions any script got were "Is this gonna get me back home by 4?" and "can I fit one of my cool celeb buddies in"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darkrenown posted:

I mean, it's a pretty good job they took Sam...
The other hobbits helped take down Dracula too.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

christmas boots posted:

I mean, it works out, doesn't it? Not hearing the child wasn't his is superior to the writers' apparent intention of him just not reacting to it.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

As Nero Danced posted:

They didn't even want Cersei's help at first, they just wanted her to not attack their rear while they dealt with the zombies. Technically she did no less than what they wanted.

If there was ever a blueprint for a full season 8 (I know, I know) they might have had Cersei actually betray them or take advantage of the distraction and do more than hire up a bunch of mercenaries. Instead she spun her wheels like the writers did until it was time to punch out and go home.

What more could she have really done though? Her options were basically go up and try to attack the North during the ice zombie battle, or wait for one side to weaken the other and come down to King's Landing where she can use the iron fleet against them

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean nothing that happened this season is as dumb as jons quest to kidnap a zombie was last season.

Yes. That episode got some criticism at the time but it still has a relatively high score on imdb.com (9.0) and on Rotten Tomatoes (84%). It's substantially worse than anything this season, there practically isn't a single entertaining or memorable thing about it, the action is boring and lovely, uninvolving, and it really was just a dumb excuse to do an avengers-style teamup with 'cool people of westeros' or something.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 18, 2019

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

As Nero Danced posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Yes. That episode got some criticism at the time but it still has a relatively high score on imdb.com (9.0) and on Rotten Tomatoes (84%). It's substantially worse than anything this season, there practically isn't a single entertaining or memorable thing about it, the action is boring and lovely, uninvolving, and it really was just a dumb excuse to do an avengers-style teamup with 'cool people of westeros' or something.

I get the sense that a single bad episode can be saved by Goodwill Inertia from its fans. Lord knows GOT was going downhill a lot earlier than when the bad user reviews started snowballing.