Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mameluke posted:

It is so drat telling that those two scenes (and the beetles line) are literally the only original contributions to the series anyone ever lauds

Adding a 4th Stark victim to the Red Wedding (the baby) was also an improvement over the book.

Or make that 5 if you count Grey Wind, which is only right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books but every single one of those movies felt like I was watching the Wachowskis' Speed Racer movie but instead of racing cars it was about valiant child abusers and the valiant annoying children who make you wonder if they deserve it, all collaborating to accidentally teach some of the worst lessons I could imagine giving to kids.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

less laughter posted:

Adding a 4th Stark victim to the Red Wedding (the baby) was also an improvement over the book.

Or make that 5 if you count Grey Wind, which is only right.

Martin quite likes to create sort of dangling plot threads he can have show up later, to wit Jeyne Poole, and the Stark baby.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Jeyne Westerling is Robb's wife in the books and isn't pregnant since her mom gives her poison that prevents pregnancy.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books but every single one of those movies felt like I was watching the Wachowskis' Speed Racer movie but instead of racing cars it was about valiant child abusers and the valiant annoying children who make you wonder if they deserve it, all collaborating to accidentally teach some of the worst lessons I could imagine giving to kids.

Bahaahaha! Gotta agree there.

I made fun of the HP books without reading them, and then when I was sick and bedridden my then-GF bought the first three and read them to me. i ended up liking them a fair bit, though it -really- craps up when it tries to gear-shift from whimsy funworld where you use time-trinkets so the resident geek can attend 3x more classes than everyone to gritty fascist allegory where consequences are a thing.

But yeah, Rifftrax said it best. 'Hogwarts: where it's a good year when only a -minority- of our students die alone and in anguish."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

the potter books are good if you don’t take them too seriously. much like literally everything in the world that’s popular

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
In conclusion, King's Landing always sucked and Dany did nothing wrong. Close the thread.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

"kings landing had to be burned to stop jon connington's greyscale plague from spreading"

"who's jon connington?"

"don't...don't worry about it"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What blows my mind is how cold resistant these people are. Like Jon and Ygritte loving in that cold rear end cave and afterwards swimming in a just about freezing stream like it’s no thing

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
It's because they have a burning passion for each other, stupid.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's amazing to me that so many people were surprised by the torching of kings landing. Visually it was identical to every other scene where Dany wins a battle with her dragons and the only difference is that there's tense dark music underneath instead of triumphant victory music.

Like, the show goes out of its way to show must how much fun she's having whenever she starts roasting armies with her dragons and then people are surprised when she snaps because the surrender stole her chance to have another dragon party? Imo it's about the most elegant thing this show has done in about 3 seasons since you can directly juxtapose it with the dragon scenes from the nk battle and see that they look the same and the whole internet is upset rather than impressed.

Also I'm glad Sandor went out like a chump. If there's a secondary theme to the books beyond the whole "heroes are just despots with a good story to tell themselves" it's "revenge is stupid and doesn't get you anything".

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Trivia posted:

It's because they have a burning passion for each other, stupid.
That sounds suspiciously like a theme, bud. What do you think this is, an eighth-grade book report?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Robb had the blood of a Stark and a Tully in him, the boy had no chances to not become a stupid gently caress up

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

with jon angsting about his targ heritage, one thing that would've been cool is if they'd had been realize & acknowledge he did have a positive relationship with at least one member of his father's family - aemon

now you can say "aemon's probably just yet another deceased early-season character they forgot about" but they bothered to remember that one time they had Jaime murder one of his cousins

youd think they could remember jons interactions with his...great...great grand uncle?

Calaveron posted:

What blows my mind is how cold resistant these people are. Like Jon and Ygritte loving in that cold rear end cave and afterwards swimming in a just about freezing stream like it’s no thing

caves in taiga locales can stay 50+, 60 degrees year round, its fine imo

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 18, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

less laughter posted:

Jeyne Westerling is Robb's wife in the books and isn't pregnant since her mom gives her poison that prevents pregnancy.

I mean she says she's going to, as far as I recall that's the end of it but I wouldn't have been shocked if a Stark baby shows up later. Jeyne doesn't seem to into the idea.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
50~ degrees is still too cold to gently caress

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Calaveron posted:

50~ degrees is still too cold to gently caress

Not for big dick Jon Snow apparently. Also though I assumed it was a hot spring.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

Not for big dick Jon Snow apparently. Also though I assumed it was a hot spring.

Not in the book

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Not in the book

I'll be honest, sometimes reading these books I just sort of ignored what Martin wrote and assumed something in it's place that made more sense, like, of course it's a loving host spring it has to be a hot spring nobody is having sex and swimming in an ice cavern you'd get hypothermia and die, kissed by fire or not.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

I'll be honest, sometimes reading these books I just sort of ignored what Martin wrote and assumed something in it's place that made more sense, like, of course it's a loving host spring it has to be a hot spring nobody is having sex and swimming in an ice cavern you'd get hypothermia and die, kissed by fire or not.

I read the chapter a week ago and Ygritte specifically calls out how the water is cold

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

pseudanonymous posted:

Martin quite likes to create sort of dangling plot threads he can have show up later, to wit Jeyne Poole, and the Stark baby.

This is actually one of my favorite parts, because real life has dangling plots. I hope not all of them actually matter.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

This is actually one of my favorite parts, because real life has dangling plots. I hope not all of them actually matter.

That's an interesting thing, like art obviously imitates life, but then there is the idea of Chekov's gun, like nothing should be in there without a purpose, but then there are things in there specifically to mislead readers (red herrings). I like the idea of some unfinished business, especially in a story as sweeping in scope as ASoIaF, but I think sometimes its a tough sell with editors.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

That's an interesting thing, like art obviously imitates life, but then there is the idea of Chekov's gun, like nothing should be in there without a purpose, but then there are things in there specifically to mislead readers (red herrings). I like the idea of some unfinished business, especially in a story as sweeping in scope as ASoIaF, but I think sometimes its a tough sell with editors.

The horn of Joramun didn’t come to anything and it was in both book and show for instance

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Urdnot Fire posted:

That sounds suspiciously like a theme, bud. What do you think this is, an eighth-grade book report?

Where is this meme from?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Where is this meme from?
This interview with D&D:

quote:

On Game of Thrones, characters are free to while away hours, even entire seasons, on the periphery. The story lines move forward and dig deeper as the episodes progress but rarely circle back and almost never pause for reflection. When I asked Benioff and Weiss if it was possible to infer any overall intentionality to the upcoming 10 episodes, they sneered. “Themes are for eighth-grade book reports,” Benioff told me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Chaosh

Ish a laddah

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mameluke posted:

It is so drat telling that those two scenes (and the beetles line) are literally the only original contributions to the series anyone ever lauds
Brienne vs the Hound was pretty good too. I think those might be the only three that stick out to me.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

less laughter posted:

Jeyne's grandmother is also Maggie the Frog.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

banned from Starbucks posted:

Look you can either have purple targ eyes or 20 seconds of Ghost per season but they cant afford both.

They had to fill in the pool in front of the weirwood tree at Winterfell just to get that 10 seconds of ghost not being petted.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Why do people say the Tywin/Arya scenes were good? I thought they were utter trash and completely ruined Tywins character. This insane badass dude who never smiles that is obsessed with his families honour and place in society is going to chuckle and he fine with some random peasant girl sassing him and basically calls him dumb to his face? Come the gently caress on.

The Harrenhal scenes in the books were much better. I particularly liked Elmer Frey talking to Arya about how he was betrothed to her but neither of them realize he's talking about her

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Collateral posted:

Jeyne's grandmother is also Maggie the Frog.

lmao i completely forgot they shoehorned maege in there and made her hot for some reason

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

pseudanonymous posted:

It'll be interesting how well they stick to the script with Good Omens, imo it has a fairly anti-religious message, but I don't know if they'll keep that in it. I worry it'll get the same treatment as the Golden Compass, though that was more overtly atheistic.

They're sticking with the message. The Chattering Order of Saint Beryl has been touring in support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boz7rHYLj6s

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone considered that that most men stop being able to masturbate cum at about age 65 and grrm hasn't finished a book since he was 65

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Aye, ye done a good job there, Dany. Now ye know what ye must do? Burn the house down!

BURN'EM ALL!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Calaveron posted:

It was a hot spring. (e: o mb not lmao)

But lol @ Dany's outfit for dragon flyng up past the wall

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

esperterra posted:

It was a hot spring. (e: o mb not lmao)

But lol @ Dany's outfit for dragon flyng up past the wall

See, being fireproof ALSO makes you cold-resistant. Because of the fire in your blood.

It s known, khaleesi.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Mameluke posted:

There are a handful of things the show did (almost all of them in the first 4 seasons) that departed from the books that owned.

- Tywin and Arya ruled - though it maybe hurt the show to have basically no Roose Bolton until season 3. I know friends who watched the show only and had no idea who he was when he killed Robb.

- Yoren's speech to Arya about reciting the name of the guy who killed his brother

- Massively expanding Oberyn's role (this may be entirely on the strength of the actor, who really killed it in his lone season)

- Brienne fighting the Hound was a clever way to tie the two storylines together without both of them meandering into nowhere, it felt thematically fitting even if it didn't make much logical sense and in the end no matter much

- Hardhome. Owned, owned, owned. I wish the rest of the fights with the white walkers were as suspenseful and as effective as this one.

- I liked aging up Tommen and giving him much more of a role in the power play between Cersei, Margaery and the High Sparrow, although that whole storyline was pretty blah in the end.

Unfortunately basically everything else sucked. Every change in Daenerys' plot was for the worse, though after Book 3 there isn't much to work with and its totally stalled out.

I think whoever upthread said that D&D are basically just trolls who like to infuriate the audience is right. The things they seemed to take the most glee in were the 'subvert the trope' bits where the audience really has it shoved back in their face: Ned's death, the Red Wedding, Oberyn vs. the Mountain. But you can only do that so much before the audience just gets tired with your shenanigans, and thats when Ramsay's bullshit became too much.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
remember when they had littlefinger marry sansa to ramsey so we could have a really dumb rape scene

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sephyr posted:

See, being fireproof ALSO makes you cold-resistant. Because of the fire in your blood.

It s known, khaleesi.

I live in Canada and we skinny dip in cold water often so ......are we targs up here?? :o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

remember when they had littlefinger marry sansa to ramsey so we could have a really dumb rape scene

Remember when master schemer Littlefinger somehow didn't know Ramsay's reputation, which is clearly not at all a secret or rumours like it is in the books.