Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zaodai posted:

Your default email software? Do... do people still even tend to have that installed on their home computers? I mean I have outlook on my work computer but if I need to email someone personally I'm just using gmail.

Chrome is capable of handling mailto: links and forwarding them to gmail.

In DRM news I got my activation key back from whoever is manning the desk already but it doesn't seem to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!
oh man they managed to make a system that's worse than using a 20 year old yahoo! storefront, I'm dying

still bought the stupid thing though

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I can't believe I'm saying this but I might actually hold off on this.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
He responded back to me. The initial email I got was just a 50 character long string separated by hyphens and a space. Apparently, the 18 characters preceding the space were the serial number, the subsequent characters were the activation code. How silly of me to not know.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
well problem persists after uninstalling and reinstalling. guess i won't be playing this at all until someone gets back in at the end of the weekend to do some tech support

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

uPen posted:

He responded back to me. The initial email I got was just a 50 character long string separated by hyphens and a space. Apparently, the 18 characters preceding the space were the serial number, the subsequent characters were the activation code. How silly of me to not know.

I’m sure you are the only person who could possibly fail to understand such an intuitive system.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

huh, getting an error message, doesn't even go to loader

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

well problem persists after uninstalling and reinstalling. guess i won't be playing this at all until someone gets back in at the end of the weekend to do some tech support

What's the error?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

uPen posted:

I love drm systems that actively talk down to me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BBJoey posted:

I’m sure you are the only person who could possibly fail to understand such an intuitive system.

He responded back that I'm the only person who didn't get it so far which either means I've become the old guy who can't use computers or it's 1AM and there's not actually a lot of people buying a wargame and trying to activate it. One of the two for sure.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

uPen posted:

He responded back that I'm the only person who didn't get it so far which either means I've become the old guy who can't use computers or it's 1AM and there's not actually a lot of people buying a wargame and trying to activate it. One of the two for sure.

Love it when they take the time to argue with customers personally

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

uPen posted:

There's a third option. You're the only person who isn't brain damaged that ordered it.

Dekko
May 23, 2007
So the store page is 'unable to process' my paypal transaction, yet I have received a paypal receipt! This launch is going great!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's so good, all of it. I really want all of you RTW fans to have a fun game to play but this entire launch debacle is giving me so many laughs already.

Godspeed Grog Goons.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm trying to figure out the licensing system. I bought it using my paypal email address and I just so happened to email them using that same address. The site and machine ID's I assume are hardware ID's to lock the install to the machine but there's no purchase information there. Is the only proof of purchase the fact I communicated with him with the same email address I use on my paypal account?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Pirate Radar posted:

What's the error?

(error:000000002) Unable to obtain lock!

running Windows 10

i just got manually approved to post in their forums, so i'll take the issue over there

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I can't stop :stare:ing at how awful the online store looks.

It's like someone took a highschooler from a mid-2000's programming 101 class and had him slap together a storefront without ever actually having seen an online store before.

Guess that explains the UI.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
while I'm sure that the game is far more playable than World in Flames, it's very funny to me that buying and installing and running WiF is probably far less of a hassle

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Here's a fun story: Since I've moved between a couple european countries, my PayPal account is locked bc it can't move with me, and I just haven't bothered sorting it out. This means...
I can't buy RTW2. They only accept PayPal processing. In 2019.

:golfclap:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Here's a fun story: Since I've moved between a couple european countries, my PayPal account is locked bc it can't move with me, and I just haven't bothered sorting it out. This means...
I can't buy RTW2. They only accept PayPal processing. In 2019.

:golfclap:

You can just use a debit or credit card without logging in to PayPal.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Oh cool, I was thinking that RTW 2 wasn't supposed to release until next week. Gonna rule those for entire weekend.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pirate Radar posted:

You can just use a debit or credit card without logging in to PayPal.

Actually can't. I tried it.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Keychat update - got my key within about 15 minutes of requesting them.

Still just sending out the numbers without explanation though, with the 1st number you have to enter 2nd in the e-mail.

I would ask do they really not know about e-mail templates but we know the answer.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Actually can't. I tried it.

drat, my bad.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ugh this is my legacy fleet as Germany in 1920

Dekko
May 23, 2007
Well, it took me an hour of loving about, switching paypal payment methods, juggling email addresses and clients (ive never used outlook on this laptop so had to sort that as well) until i could install the game. He did send me the codes in under a minute though.

Im never buying off these dipshits again until they put everything on steam

sum
Nov 15, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

Ugh this is my legacy fleet as Germany in 1920

I believe this is because of the Treaty of Versailles. I disabled that option for my 1920s Germany

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh you're right - that is different

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
RtW2 adjacent question: Has anyone tried out their Steam & Iron games?
Are they any good?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
A bunch of people on their forums are complaining that the store simply doesn't work in certain countries.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Haha I read the bugs thread on their forum and found some quality stuff already like the Autodesigner and AI not respecting technology limits. You get a bunch of impossible designs, designs with AA guns in 1900, things like 14'' wing turrets in the autogenerated start ships. Also all the starting naval budgets are bugged out so the historical/game toggle doesnt work and basically all the major nations have identical budgets :lol::lol:

Stuff that is y'know, incredibly obvious from the very start of a game, I wonder if they even did any testing.

Saros fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 18, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think having 1900 templates and 1920 templates broke something important because yeah, for instance, I started a game and other nations are already building CLs with light cruiser configuration and above-water torpedo tubes. I didn't even notice the budget thing and that's really weird because it works fine in RtW1.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Saros posted:

Haha I read the bugs thread on their forum and found some quality stuff already like the Autodesigner and AI not respecting technology limits. You get a bunch of impossible designs, designs with AA guns in 1900, things like 14'' wing turrets in the autogenerated start ships. Also all the starting naval budgets are bugged out so the historical/game toggle doesnt work and basically all the major nations have identical budgets :lol::lol:

Stuff that is y'know, incredibly obvious from the very start of a game, I wonder if they even did any testing.

They did, but when you have one guy trying to build an entire game in his spare time you have to triage. That said this poo poo worked in RTW1 so I am a little confused why this regressed.

EDIT: Lol I can't build AMCs because it auto-adds mines which i haven't researched, and that I can't remove because of that.

ArchangeI fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 18, 2019

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ArchangeI posted:

They did, but when you have one guy trying to build an entire game in his spare time you have to triage. That said this poo poo worked in RTW1 so I am a little confused why this regressed.

EDIT: Lol I can't build AMCs because it auto-adds mines which i haven't researched, and that I can't remove because of that.

Grog games.txt!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
This has just been an amazing launch.

I'm now really glad they chose to put DRM on it and push the day back. It annoyed me enough so I didn't buy the game first thing.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I caved and bought it, they supported RTW1 pretty well so im sure the kinks will get ironed out.

Shits broke though (1900 start).

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hippocrass posted:

RtW2 adjacent question: Has anyone tried out their Steam & Iron games?
Are they any good?

RtW is essentially a sandbox version of Steam and Iron; they use the same battle engine but where RtW has a world map and a ship design system S&I focuses on historical conflicts with a campaign path and historically accurate fleets. The devs have said they're not opposed to doing a S&I2 game using the carrier stuff they've made now for RtW2.

On the subject of the wider launch, let me see if I can get a tight summary going.

The devs categorically refused to put the game on third-party services like Steam, claiming to have considered the matter deeply and concluded that it wouldn't work for them. When asked about it, they admit itch.io would work, but say they'll continue forward on their own path regardless. They announce that a new store will be ready by game launch, which will end the old system of having to buy the game through their Yahoo store page and wait for Chris to email you your key. They announce a discount available to RtW1 owners and say you'll simply put in your serial code from the first game when buying the second and Chris will manually refund you five dollars. Then they announce that since the first game was being pirated, they're implementing a DRM system best described as "classic" that will limit players to installing the game on one computer and have a limited number of transfers. This is widely unpopular, so they walk it back to letting people install on two machines concurrently. They delay release saying that both the game and the new store need more time and announce that the new store will be up the day before launch. A demo comes out that has several glaringly obvious issues that somehow made it past months of testing, and goes through several versions (the demo is also automatically flagged as a virus and deleted by some antivirus software). The day before release comes and goes with no store. Finally, past 11pm on the day of release, the game goes up on the new store, which is a GoDaddy page and only lets you pay through PayPal. It doesn't work at all in some countries. Also, there's nowhere to put in your RtW1 serial code during the purchase process; you have to manually email it to Chris to get the discount. The DRM system tries to open Outlook to send in your codes and get the DRM key you need to play the game longer than three days. The game itself is referred to as a "1.0 Early Access Version" and has some immediately obvious issues even with the 1900 start (i.e. before you get to the new content).

Am I missing anything?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Pirate Radar posted:

On the subject of the wider launch, let me see if I can get a tight summary going.

Am I missing anything?

They finally got rid of even the two machines thing. You can install on as many machines as you want now.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887173&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22#post495176739

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Keep in mind that change to one of the core aspects of their DRM was made within 24 hours of the theoretical launch date.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hippocrass posted:

They finally got rid of even the two machines thing. You can install on as many machines as you want now.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887173&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22#post495176739

I thought that change was that you get two concurrent installs that you can transfer as many times as you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Haha so if you try use the 'request code' button on a machine without an email client (what home machine has this) the popup fails and you can't find the email address which you need. You have to go search the forums and download a PDF which has the instructions to email two different codes from your email to a loving yahoo email address.

Jesus wept.