Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I'm moving out of my comfort zone and trying new weapons based on what people in this thread are talking about. War axe was a pleasant surprise, good damage, very nice combos, and people seem to have a difficult time blocking it, especially when you change from high to low attacks. Grabbed the Recurve bow and tried to play it as a long range spear, lots of assists, a few enemy kills, a few teammate kills, just not my thing. Tried the Halberd again, and while I like it a lot more now that I'm not just wildly swinging, I hate not having a bunch of armor on, so it's relegated to something I'm happy to pick up off the battlefield, but not something I'm going to make a loadout around.

Speaking of picking stuff up off the battlefield, I highly recommend getting in that habit. Whether I pick up a weapon just to have something to throw at a retreating enemy, or happen upon a Halberd that I can use while being covered in heavy armor, it makes for a more dynamic and fun Frontline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Babe Magnet posted:

there might be some info in the OP, check the "Help, I'm real bad!" section

Oh poo poo! I never caught that, thanks !

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No problem, I'm actually updating the OP as more cool poo poo gets discovered or shown. I gotta' add those other tutorial videos I saved...

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Hi I enjoy ripping dudes off of horses. Please ignore my atrocious follow-up swings on the first guy:

https://media.giphy.com/media/WsdMl1lGtq22HcweJf/giphy.gif

This game is real great.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So THAT's why I'd want to pull a dude with billhook.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

I've tried eveningstar, estoc, and mace so far. What's another fun weapon, assuming I don't want giant swords, pole arms, or the maul?

Axe and cleaver. The axe does a little more damage with better range at the cost of some speed.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The axes are really satisfying to use, all of 'em. The War Axe is a beast but you lose out on some range compared to the other heavy options. Poleaxe is versatile as hell, and the regular ol' hand axe is quicker than you'd think it is while retaining good damage across armor types. Also cheap.

Arming Sword is the ultimate backup weapon, it holds its own against drat near anything. I have it on most of my loadouts. The dagger isn't a great weapon but it's really valuable if you're trying to gang up on a dude. The attacks are weak but they're not so weak that they don't stagger, only the carving knife is that lovely. I don't know if you'd count it as a pole arm, but I can't praise the quartarstaff enough. Very good defensive properties, and what it lacks in damage (it's 5 hits to kill most anything unless you slap them in the head, so it's consistent damage at least) it makes up for in both range and speed. Plus you can choke-grip it for even more speed.

A lot of the peasant weapons are surprisingly effective. The Scythe has a deceptive hitbox that throws people's parry and chamber timing off a lot, plus it's good for sweeping unarmored legs. The sticks are really funny to beat people to death with.

The heater shield + shortspear (or rapier) is a good way to make everyone on the server hate your goddamn guts lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I have a heavy armored guy + perks built around the arming sword and kite shield

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
How in the gently caress is the billhook only 5 points, holy poo poo. With a 3/3/2 character with friendly/fireproof/tenacious, I'm cleaning up compared to a longsword build. Being able to utilize footwork and range to bait with a missed swing and stab a dude in the face is the poo poo. I find it difficult to chamber swings though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The dagger is a good backup stabber to use against Spears/rapiers imo

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

legolas report:

not easy lol

also:

https://i.imgur.com/7f5VeFs.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6zqHKd265E

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 18, 2019

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Yeah I had to try legolasing it up as well. Finally got the 30 assists achievement at least, I didn't think it would ever happen.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah just poo poo arrows everywhere, it's kind of fun.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

archers, part 1

https://www.twitch.tv/unsubredun/clip/ClumsyBrightMangoCharlieBitMe

archers, part 2

https://www.twitch.tv/unsubredun/clip/InexpensiveBovineSrirachaPipeHype

this was a good game for archer destruction. I'm getting good at deflecting projectiles lmao

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Is there any cue you look for when deflecting arrows besides just having a feel for the amount of time they need to draw and get a bead on you? It seems like after the first shot they could just wait for your parry and if it doesn't come out just shoot anyway since it'll be too fast to react to.

Deflecting throwing weapons is super easy because they have to commit to the windup animation and the projectile speed is so slow, but for bows it seems like you just have to be a good guesser and hope they aren't smart enough to vary their timing even slightly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's part guessing, part reaction, part knowing what to watch, and part knowing where you're at spacing-wise. I watch the hands for sudden movements after the arrow's drawn, and on the crossbow I look for the string to snap since it's not as obscured as the longbow's string is when looking head on. Players can absolutely watch for the parry and vary their timing, but they don't because no one expects you to actually parry the arrow. And when you get within about 10 feet of them you know they're going to shoot as early as possible to switch to a melee weapon, so that's actually the easiest time to get your parries in.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

Arming Sword is the ultimate backup weapon, it holds its own against drat near anything. I have it on most of my loadouts. The dagger isn't a great weapon but it's really valuable if you're trying to gang up on a dude. The attacks are weak but they're not so weak that they don't stagger, only the carving knife is that lovely. I don't know if you'd count it as a pole arm, but I can't praise the quartarstaff enough. Very good defensive properties, and what it lacks in damage (it's 5 hits to kill most anything unless you slap them in the head, so it's consistent damage at least) it makes up for in both range and speed. Plus you can choke-grip it for even more speed.

Arming sword seems low-key overpowered. You don't see it as much as the rapier and it doesn't do as much damage, but holy poo poo when I run into somebody using it they're pretty much ALWAYS tearing through anybody they fight. It is really versatile and its only real drawback is the range, which is actually not too bad.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Arming sword seems low-key overpowered. You don't see it as much as the rapier and it doesn't do as much damage, but holy poo poo when I run into somebody using it they're pretty much ALWAYS tearing through anybody they fight. It is really versatile and its only real drawback is the range, which is actually not too bad.

I think there are weapons that are genuinely problematic for various reasons, I think there are weapons that aren't fun because of how people have begun to use them (war axe) but nothing scares me like someone in 3/3/3 with nothing but an Arming Sword.

Basically;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM9VSVX7dx8

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 18, 2019

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

School Nickname posted:

How in the gently caress is the billhook only 5 points, holy poo poo. With a 3/3/2 character with friendly/fireproof/tenacious, I'm cleaning up compared to a longsword build. Being able to utilize footwork and range to bait with a missed swing and stab a dude in the face is the poo poo. I find it difficult to chamber swings though.

Yep, billhook is amazing, and being able to unseat riders is just the cherry on top. The stabs are the bread and butter, but I've also had great luck with morphing a stab into an overhead strike, and dragging the side strikes. If you get the rhythm down of feinting into a stab, then following up with either the morph stab to an overhead strike, or dragging a side swing, you'll kill about 90% of the players out there and they won't have any idea what hit them.

I just wish more people would run billhooks because I hate horses and the people who ride them.

Orv posted:

I think there are weapons that are genuinely problematic for various reasons, I think there are weapons that aren't fun because of how people have begun to use them (war axe) but nothing scares me like someone in 3/3/3 with nothing but an Arming Sword.

Basically;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM9VSVX7dx8

I run 3/3/3 Arming Sword and Bloodlust with the idea that I'm going to pick up the first strong weapon I see and just use that, but I often don't bother and just stick with the Arming Sword. It is absolutely brutal up close, and I think it probably needs some kind of adjustment, either costing more points or slowing it down a tad. It's one of those weapons that you feel absolutely powerless against when someone gets aggressive with it, and for that reason, it engenders a LOT of hate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Facing an arming sword is a situation where someone either is really bad or they took it knowing they are better than everyone at single combat and they wanted to play some other primary form of combat.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

My favorite moment I've had playing was on my ranger style build. Light armor, a recurve bow, and an arming sword. Stand just on the edge of the choke point, plinking people, eventually they'll close to melee thinking to themselves "Aha! I've won!" before getting gutted on the arming sword. The thing swings fast enough that if people are underestimating you since you were using a bow you can usually cut one or two suckers down before they wise up

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acc6ucUMkFE

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
A lightning strike last night fried my modem, network switch and network card in my PC (and other things on the switch) and man do I miss playing this game. I didn't realize how much I liked it until I couldn't play it anymore. Please pray for me until the cable company comes and drops a new line into my house on Monday, dear goons

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I think I might have to be done with Frontline. It's getting a little too game-y and stratified with maximum efficiency strats over fun.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

cerebral posted:

Yep, billhook is amazing, and being able to unseat riders is just the cherry on top. The stabs are the bread and butter, but I've also had great luck with morphing a stab into an overhead strike, and dragging the side strikes. If you get the rhythm down of feinting into a stab, then following up with either the morph stab to an overhead strike, or dragging a side swing, you'll kill about 90% of the players out there and they won't have any idea what hit them.

I just wish more people would run billhooks because I hate horses and the people who ride them.

I run 3/3/3 Arming Sword and Bloodlust with the idea that I'm going to pick up the first strong weapon I see and just use that, but I often don't bother and just stick with the Arming Sword. It is absolutely brutal up close, and I think it probably needs some kind of adjustment, either costing more points or slowing it down a tad. It's one of those weapons that you feel absolutely powerless against when someone gets aggressive with it, and for that reason, it engenders a LOT of hate.

Horses are actually really cool

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

No problem, I'm actually updating the OP as more cool poo poo gets discovered or shown. I gotta' add those other tutorial videos I saved...

This looks pretty comprehensive but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/08/mordhau-weapons-guide-full-weapon-stats-how-to-use-mordhaus-best-weapons/

megane
Jun 20, 2008

hakimashou posted:

Horses are actually really cool

i stab unoccupied horses and friendly horse riders to death just on principle

i don't stab friendly catapult users but that's only because another guy will come along and grab it two seconds later

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I love it when I see some guy getting really mad about people using like a shield or the maul, and then you see them on the field and they're using a spear or rapier themselves. And they get huffy about it when you point that out. :allears:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

cerebral posted:

I disagree, Arming sword feels just right to me, People sleep on it and honestly, every hit you need to make exponentially lowers the value. The fact it takes three to four or so good whacks to kill a 3/3/3 guy makes it about right balance wise. It might work nicely in a dueling context or slitting up a dude who isn't paying attention but most weapons do. On frontline you are at a distinct disadvantage defensively against a bunch of dudes with bigger weapons in armor, each representing three to four hits a piece beating your rear end.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 18, 2019

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Tried out the game yesterday.

I cannot believe how satisfying it is to not only outplay another player with chambering and poo poo, but to also do that with a lute. Nothing like strumming a discordant barrage of noise before just turning that dang thing over and bashing someone's head in with it.

Maybe next I gotta try peasant and frying pans and see how many knights in plate armour and two handed swords I can kill with nothing but kitchen utensils.

(Also, is there some weird trick to hitting anything with ranged projectiles/throwables or do I basically just gotta git gud? I swear, I hit the back of my team's head more often with these throwing axes than the actual enemy)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

I only die to ballistas and team catapults.

I think the many things that can cause sudden death kind of drag the game down - catapults, ballistas, horses, archers if youre unlucky, etc. Camp is an especially bad map for this. I get that the game would be too straightforward and boring if it were just dudes hacking at each other, but it does get tiring to waste your time by dying out of the blue.

Babe Magnet posted:

A lot of my kills come from slapping someone who's trying to surround me because they're under the impression that I don't have object permanence and I don't think they exist once they leave my peripheral vision lol

I love doing that when I catch a glimpse of someone coming at me from the side. I'll carry on like I haven't noticed anything, then when they're about to reach me I quickly turn around and stab them. This works at least 80% of the time, even when there are no other enemies around.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 18, 2019

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm constantly being killed by people with usernames like "adolf hitler", "white knight 1488", "adolf 1488", "The real Hitler", etc. and the chat is full of nothing but slurs. Terrible. Fun game though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Untrustable posted:

I'm constantly being killed by people with usernames like "adolf hitler", "white knight 1488", "adolf 1488", "The real Hitler", etc. and the chat is full of nothing but slurs. Terrible. Fun game though.

Report em (to steam) and make sure you stress the white nationalist/nazism aspect in the reason. This seems to actually make their mod staff deal with it and you'll get a nice message later for your troubles.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Rynoto posted:

Report em (to steam) and make sure you stress the white nationalist/nazism aspect in the reason. This seems to actually make their mod staff deal with it and you'll get a nice message later for your troubles.

Nice. Hopping into my recently played with list then because drat it is rampant in Mordhau. Like every other player has a super racist username. American Central servers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's wild to me that it's apparently a bigger problem in North America than in Europe. Worst I saw was someone called MUSLIMCRUSHER, and another guy casually calling other players 'friend of the family faggots'. I should have thought to report.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

When I forget to select a North American region and go worldwide it never happens, but every time I use central North America it happens so much it becomes noticeable. I always glance at who killed me and swastikas are becoming increasingly common. I'm gonna start sending Endgame spoilers to the people spamming slurs in chat.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I must have some pretty good luck when it comes to players. I'm sitting around only 23 hrs but have only had 3-4 chat meltdowns and a handful of 'clever' dogwhistle names/avatars. My majority is spent on the official 48 man frontline servers and small duel servers.

Those 64 man servers seem to be the biggest accumulators of filth.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I love it when I see some guy getting really mad about people using like a shield or the maul, and then you see them on the field and they're using a spear or rapier themselves. And they get huffy about it when you point that out. :allears:

Even better when they get the poo poo beat out of them.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Avynte posted:

I must have some pretty good luck when it comes to players. I'm sitting around only 23 hrs but have only had 3-4 chat meltdowns and a handful of 'clever' dogwhistle names/avatars. My majority is spent on the official 48 man frontline servers and small duel servers.

Those 64 man servers seem to be the biggest accumulators of filth.

I play exclusively 64 player Frontline. I feel intimidated by duel servers and I haven't tried battle royale. I need to mix it up because I hate showing this game to friends and I get decapitated by a horseman named "White1488" while a cacophony of "friend of the family cuck kek soy bitch deus vult" explodes in the chat non-stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
I rarely see anything so blatant on European servers. Maybe a guy with Deus Vult in their name or similar every other game. Granted, the stuff written in Russian is probably not what you would call progressive if i'd have to guess, but I'd have no way of knowing.