Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

falz posted:

If it was working and then wasnt without opening it in between, it's probably the hard drive. Mod the Xbox and upgrade the hdd.

Back in the day you had to do some special stuff to tie the hdd to the serial # of the Xbox, unsure if that's still the case or not.

It is extremely likely the hard drive, especially at the age of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Rollersnake posted:

There's an obscure FDS sequel called Clu Clu Land: Welcome to New Clucluland that you should play too. You might recall it as one of the hidden NES games in the GC Animal Crossing, under the title Clu Clu Land D.

If I read things right this is the version available on the Famicom Nintendo Switch Online service this week.

I had most of the normally available NES games, including the ones that required uniquely generated passwords from the website(s), in my AC town. Then my card got wiped, those sites are dead, and I never backed up my passwords :(

general chaos posted:

Were there any PlayStation Move compatible titles worth picking up for on PS3? Found a used set cheap at the thrift store and thought it would be worth revisiting Child of Eden. I had already enjoyed that title somewhat when it appeared on the Xbox Kinect but always felt the title would have played better with more reliable controls. It scratched that Rez itch for a little while.

I know I'll also check out a few of the lightgun ports that made their way over from the Wii: Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead Overkill, Resident Evil Dark Chronicles, etc. I have most of them on the Wii, but I assume the ports has to be at least a little easier on the eyes.

Are there any earlier motion control titles people look back on fondly? Anything from that last gen that won't be supplanted by newer VR itles?

Johann Sebastian Joust, one of the games in Sportsfriends, supports 7 players using Move controllers on PS3 (limited to 4 on the PS4 version.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Discount Viscount posted:

If I read things right this is the version available on the Famicom Nintendo Switch Online service this week.

I had most of the normally available NES games, including the ones that required uniquely generated passwords from the website(s), in my AC town. Then my card got wiped, those sites are dead, and I never backed up my passwords :(

Johann Sebastian Joust, one of the games in Sportsfriends, supports 7 players using Move controllers on PS3 (limited to 4 on the PS4 version.)

JSJ isn't really a PS3 game so much as an "actual" game that uses a PS3 (for lack of a better descriptor). You ideally want a nice big playspace to literally smack eachother around in. It's amazingly good fun if you can set it up with a nice big group, and every year at PAX-AUS there's a game of it running.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

But my question is, what is most recommended original Xbox game that did not come out in Europe? Since I just recently modded mine, I can play those now without worry. I have all my old favorites moved to hard drive for now but have plenty of space to go.

It barely needs to be said, but Metal Wolf Chaos.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It barely needs to be said, but Metal Wolf Chaos.
Keep in mind there's a PC port of this coming some time this year, if that's a thing you'd prefer to play it on.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Metal Wolf Chaos is the most American game to never be released in America.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Kins posted:

Keep in mind there's a PC port of this coming some time this year, if that's a thing you'd prefer to play it on.

Also PS4 and Bone.

More importantly, though, the new version comes with a modernized control scheme because if you've not played the original let me give you the skinny, the control scheme sucks worse than the vice-president betraying you to return control of America to the United Kingdom

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

So I left my yellowed Dreamcast to catch some sunlight during 3 beautiful clear days and I'm really happy with the results. Didn't use any Retrobrite shmetrobrite whatever.

EDIT: BE AWARE THOUGH this method might damage the plastic shell if it's done carelessly https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/bp2mrj/lightbrighting_a_dreamcast_an_alternative_to/
I'm only doing this because I plan to get a replacement shell if my current one gets brittle or something. Thanks Miles McCloud for posting that link.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 19, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird. Was loving around on my Super NT and Super Punch Out was going much faster than it should have.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

So I left my yellowed Dreamcast to catch some sunlight during 3 beautiful clear days and I'm really happy with the results. Didn't use any Retrobrite shmetrobrite whatever.

That looks amazing. You just left it out in the sun? I thought UV would do the opposite.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Negrostrike posted:

That looks much better. Did you just set it near a window?

I grabbed a printer and some printable discs last weekend and was really pleased with the results. I'll share with the thread once I'm home. Some folks have made really nice custom disc images for Dreamcast games and they look fantastic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bank posted:

That looks amazing. You just left it out in the sun? I thought UV would do the opposite.

It’s recently been discovered that retrobrite is really only effective because of the UV. You can just skip it and let the sun bleach the plastic

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Interesting! Looks like a white Dreamcast is in my future. That was the only reason I avoided the white (well, that and because I had the sports edition as a kid).

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Bank posted:

Jolo posted:

That looks much better. Did you just set it near a window?

Yep, sunlight only. Behind the window glass, if it makes any difference.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
It seems like it is still debatable whether or not "lightbrighting" is a good idea. Some types of plastics obviously don't like being set in the sun so you may end up making things much worse.

I was researching the procedure myself a few days ago because I have some nice mustard colored dreamcasts I'd like to turn white again, but decided against it after reading this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/bp2mrj/lightbrighting_a_dreamcast_an_alternative_to/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

The long-term effects of this will be very bad on plastic imbued with bromine as a fire retardant. It's chemistry. There's an initial bleaching effect and then any BrO3 broken down by UV into Br2, which is very brown like iodine, will rebind to the plastic, making it yellower than it was originally. The reason retrobrighting works is that the peroxide binds to and breaks down Br2 molecules to Br-, which are water soluble and wash away.
None of this requires, as Perifractic's Retro Recipes claims, a "hypothesis". This is a known process.

Yeaaaaah doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I've been reading that thread as well. I'm gonna be cautious with it and I don't plan to put my Dreamcast under sunlight again even if it yellows in the next few weeks. So yeah, be aware and don't put your plastic stuff to roast too much under the sun.

If I see damage on it I will be sure to let you all know.

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 19, 2019

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
which colored dreamcast variations were released in the US? just the black sega sports one?

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Zand posted:

which colored dreamcast variations were released in the US? just the black sega sports one?

Yeah, just the Sega Sports one. Japan got several neat ones though, and aftermarket shells in various colors still pop up.

https://consolevariations.com/database/sega/sega-dreamcast

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The Castlevania Anniversary Collection is pretty solid (M2 handled it and the upcoming Contra one, a fact mysteriously held back until right before release), but there's an audio glitch on certain sounds/notes in the original Castlevania that results in brief high-pitched beeps.

Apparently tate mode is coming to the Switch release of the Arcade collection, and all three collections will have the Japanese versions of the games added due to demand, so that's cool.

Also, I noticed the box art in the bonus book retains Nintendo's logos and trademarks, even on PS4, which is a nice change of pace from the paranoid/cautious trend of scrubbing them from the SNK and Capcom collections.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Apparently tate mode is coming to the Switch release of the Arcade collection, and all three collections will have the Japanese versions of the games added due to demand, so that's cool.

Where'd you see this?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Where'd you see this?

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/05/15/konami-confirms-japanese-versions-coming-to-castlevania-anniversary-collection-post-launch/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Negrostrike posted:

Yeah I've been reading that thread as well. I'm gonna be cautious with it and I don't plan to put my Dreamcast under sunlight again even if it yellows in the next few weeks. So yeah, be aware and don't put your plastic stuff to roast too much under the sun.

If I see damage on it I will be sure to let you all know.

Isn't the issue with the chemical stuff and not with the sun hitting the Dreamcast?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

That post only covers the CV collection, not the arcade version which is being developed by another company, that's why I asked.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

There's a code generator out there for Animal Crossing where all you do is put in your character and town name and pick what item you want and it spits out a password. It's how I got all the NES games on my save. It will even generate codes for the two "forbidden" NES games but they won't work because those games have to be hacked in via Action Replay, no exceptions. Gimme a bit to go through the eldritch horror that is my bookmarks and I'll edit it into this post.

Edit: Got it, go hog wild! http://retrocheater.multiverseworks.com/acuc2/index.php?mod=generator

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 19, 2019

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006
I picked up an NES last week that needed the pin connect cleaned and bent back. That took care of the blinking light, but now it won't display the video and sound at all. I tried using RV and AV and different power supplies. Is there anything else I could try before needing to know how electronics work is required to fix it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Was it working before? I'd check the pins again to make sure, if it was.

8Bit Guy did a thing on a new GBC backlight (looks drat good), but had a bit on how litigious Nintendo is. Problem was he compared it to CBS taking that dumb Star Trek scam Fan Project, Axanar, to the cleaners for selling branded merchandise and poo poo.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

FilthyImp posted:

8Bit Guy did a thing on a new GBC backlight (looks drat good), but had a bit on how litigious Nintendo is. Problem was he compared it to CBS taking that dumb Star Trek scam Fan Project, Axanar, to the cleaners for selling branded merchandise and poo poo.

The one he did is not the Freckle Shack, it is something based on a different screen that requires soldering and case cutting.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Where'd you see this?

NintendoLife
, I'm not precisely sure where they got it.

Turbinosamente posted:

There's a code generator out there for Animal Crossing where all you do is put in your character and town name and pick what item you want and it spits out a password. It's how I got all the NES games on my save. It will even generate codes for the two "forbidden" NES games but they won't work because those games have to be hacked in via Action Replay, no exceptions. Gimme a bit to go through the eldritch horror that is my bookmarks and I'll edit it into this post.

Edit: Got it, go hog wild! http://retrocheater.multiverseworks.com/acuc2/index.php?mod=generator

I remember dicking around with various code generators and not being able to get a lot of the things they purported but it's been a while since I checked, thanks.

Clu Clu Land D was the biggest bummer to lose.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 20, 2019

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

The Castlevania Anniversary Collection is pretty solid (M2 handled it and the upcoming Contra one, a fact mysteriously held back until right before release), but there's an audio glitch on certain sounds/notes in the original Castlevania that results in brief high-pitched beeps.

They also used revision 0 of the ROM, which means the game can crash during the Grim Reaper fight. I hope they iron out these issues in a patch, I was kind of considering getting this collection (mostly for the :krad: book of concept art and stuff).

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

All New Sonic posted:

They also used revision 0 of the ROM, which means the game can crash during the Grim Reaper fight. I hope they iron out these issues in a patch, I was kind of considering getting this collection (mostly for the :krad: book of concept art and stuff).

Hah, drat. I feel like it's still worth it for Kid Dracula and Bloodlines but it'd be pretty bad if they didn't address this stuff. I'm sure M2 are more than willing, but Konami's calling the shots and it's impossible to tell how much they care. Based on the announcement about Japanese versions plus M2 in the past willing to go beyond what the client is actually paying for I'd give it a 75% chance.

Also the M2 doc is out, it's pretty good if you haven't done a deep dive into their work, hits all the highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc5DlOkOcU4

EDIT: I wonder if it being revision 0 also explains the noticeable uptick in subweapon drops I seemed to be getting, or of that's just something totally random _ confirmation bias.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 20, 2019

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Is there anywhere on SA it's kosher to post our own YouTube efforts or is that not a thing we do?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's probably totally fine where relevant, but if you're not sure PM Video Games because he's super nice and helpful and will get you sorted out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

All New Sonic posted:

They also used revision 0 of the ROM, which means the game can crash during the Grim Reaper fight.
It can crash in other places too, but in and around the Death battle is most likely.

TCRF posted:

Due to a simple oversight during the FDS to NES cartridge conversion, revision 0 of the game may crash in areas with lots of sprites, such as stage 15 (particularly the hallway below Death's chamber, and the battle with Death himself).

Normally when a non-maskable interrupt (NMI) is triggered at the end of a frame, ROM bank 0 is loaded at $8000-$BFFF, which contains some routines that are run during an NMI. However, if an NMI hits while the game is doing lots of sprite calculations, ROM bank 6 may be loaded instead; as a result, the game eventually jumps into the middle of the wrong routine and overwrites a large portion of RAM with garbage.

Revision 1 fixes this problem by swapping in bank 0 before attempting to jump to the offending routine.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I heard it happen once in Castlevania II, too. It's actually throwing me off when I hear it (you'd think they'd have noticed it, since it happens on every boss clear in the first game and like four times for every loop of the theme of the second level).

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I bought a few DS Lites on eBay over the past few weeks and one of them has been giving me grief. It looks like it had some water damage (thank goodness for eBay buyer protection) and the cartridge slot has a couple of green contacts :(

Anything I can do or should I just write this thing off? It looks like a huge pain in the rear end to swap motherboards. Here's a pic with the green highlighted in red. Even with the corrosion it still charges fine. Haven't tried Slot 2 yet but it doesn't look bad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm cleaning out my closet of ultimate nerdosity in preparation for a garage sale this weekend and of course I'm finding lots of gaming stuff that hasn't seen the light of day in over a decade. Did you know that the manual for We ♥ Katamari is amazing?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are any of the Final Fantasy or Baldur's Gate type Android versions playable on a phone? Or are they only really usable on a tablet?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Medullah posted:

Are any of the Final Fantasy or Baldur's Gate type Android versions playable on a phone? Or are they only really usable on a tablet?

The 2d Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games are very playable. Probably wouldn't recommend the Infinity Engine games without a tablet unless you get them very cheap in a sale or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Any reason why my Wii output over component cables might seem a little dim to me when I don't remember it being so the last time I fired it up? I haven't tried anything and I'm out of ideas.