Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

I had seen the quick look of it when it came out and the aesthetic is entirely unappealing to me, there's something about the animations and character designs that rub me the wrong way. Thanks for the rec, though.

yeah it sadly has this super "commercial kids tv show" visuals which are really awful. I managed to ignore it and didn't do any kind of social stuff but I can totaly relate to that thought. Building and the environment is quite nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

K8.0 posted:

Looking for games that involve physics-based traversal. For example, Getting Over It or Trials would count, although I'm looking for something focused less on challenge and more on fun fuckery.

i haven't played it but it sounds like human fall flat might be up your alley?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

K8.0 posted:

Looking for games that involve physics-based traversal. For example, Getting Over It or Trials would count, although I'm looking for something focused less on challenge and more on fun fuckery.

Octodad, I Am Bread, possibly Katamari Damacy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

K8.0 posted:

The recent just cause games might be up your alley, you can do a whole lot of weird traversal bullshit in them

The giant bomb quick look is a good showcase of the traversal and physics stupidity you can get up to in JC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0Lgow3k48&hd=1

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Would Mirror's Edge or Dying Light count?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Artelier posted:

i haven't played it but it sounds like human fall flat might be up your alley?

I had forgotten entirely about this one and it definitely fits the bill. Already played most of the others but the kid I'm thinking of probably hasn't. Thanks for the ideas guys.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Kind of an out-there suggestion, but you might also look at Bob Came In Pieces.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Would Mirror's Edge or Dying Light count?

Mirror's Edge is really a great game, probably the best traversal game in recent years, and very satisfying when you get things right.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
poo poo, I forgot to reply to the reclamation game suggestions :doh: Thanks a bunch for the titles!

They Are Billions: I've burned myself on early access games so I'd rather wait until it actually gets finished. And it seems more of a "desperate fight to not lose ground" which is the opposite of comfy rebuilding.

Prince of Persia 2008: Is the purifying just a theme, or reflected in the mechanics in any way? Looks like totally the wrong type of game for me, but I'll go see some videos.

Blightfall for Minecraft: Will check.

Simcity series: My problem with it is that you never reclaim the land organically in meltdown scenarios, you've just got the contamination you have to build around until it goes away by itself. Post-earthquake/hurricane scenarios would be more what I'm looking for (restoring after an extensive but removable disaster) but it still feels way too... clinical/planned(?).

Rebuild, Terranigma, Waking Mars: I know and have beaten those. Good recommendations, I actually replayed Rebuild 1/2 after that post.

Littlewood: It does look properly rebuildy, but it doesn't seem out yet. I'll file it away until release.

Okami: Oh poo poo, I actually have this and never got around to beating it. I totally forgot it had that purification theme. It seems I have my fix for now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
they are billions is outstanding but insanely nerve-wracking, and one misstep can result in a death spiral which will likely lead to total base destruction especially if a wave is on the way or the cause of the trouble, and ESPECIALLY on the harder difficulties. on the easier difficulties it's pretty much a cakewalk once you learn the nuances of each unit(except the flamethrower guy, who is useless). Learning certain rules of the game, such as how loud certain units are(soldiers in particular early on), when to pull units back to save veterans from getting overwhelmed, learning to build "scratching posts"(single wood wall sections to distract the individual roamer infected from wandering too close to your base proper until you can deal with them), etc help get you past the early game where you are extremely vulnerable.

and on the final day of a playthrough, you are given one day's warning before the Final Wave. When the announcer warns of an endless swarm heading towards your base, he shouts "there's no end to them...they...they are billions!", the fog of war vanishes giving you full view of the map, and the minimap begins to flood with red from every single direction. Every Infected you have not killed on the map gets swept up alongside the incoming horde and beelines for your base. And then, this music starts playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRfj0OKZXM

It's an extremely powerful effect and the actual final day is intense as hell, and really, really puts your computer to the test, it's really impressive how many they cram onscreen at once.

edit: despite it being early access I still got 80+ hours out of the survival mode, before they've added any story mode. Only real complaint is a few units(aforementioned flamethrower dude) being terribly designed/balanced and some of the dialogue is insanely cringeworthy(the ranger, specifically).

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 14, 2019

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Pierzak posted:

poo poo, I forgot to reply to the reclamation game suggestions :doh: Thanks a bunch for the titles!

They Are Billions: I've burned myself on early access games so I'd rather wait until it actually gets finished. And it seems more of a "desperate fight to not lose ground" which is the opposite of comfy rebuilding.

Fair enough. The reason why I mentioned is that the campaign will be focused on pushing back the zombie horde and reclaiming territory from them. THe survival maps are kinda like that as well, you start with a very small base and have to clear zombies from the areas around you in order to have room for your building/settlers (in order to get big and trong enough to survive the final day). No harm in waiting of course.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pierzak posted:

Prince of Persia 2008: Is the purifying just a theme, or reflected in the mechanics in any way? Looks like totally the wrong type of game for me, but I'll go see some videos.

You platform your way to various patches of fertile ground that you reclaim:

See 8:10 here

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
If you were going to draw a Venn diagram with space engineers on one side and KSP on the other, what would you put in the middle?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

scott manley viewers?

students.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I was thinking more of aspergers :spergin:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Kerbal Space Engineers

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I was thinking more of aspergers :spergin:

You'd have to add a circle for Factorio.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

DreadLlama posted:

If you were going to draw a Venn diagram with space engineers on one side and KSP on the other, what would you put in the middle?

If you want KSP with guns, try Children of a Dead Earth.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Anybody know any good games about (or with an important aspect of) reclaiming contaminated land, rebuilding a ruined city, or otherwise restoring a destroyed/unlivable location back to a livable state? Older titles welcome.

Viscera Cleanup Detail?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

grate deceiver posted:

If you want KSP with guns, try Children of a Dead Earth.

This is a good game and good advice. What if I wanted Space Engineers with aerodynamics and orbital mechanics?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

No aerodynamics there, but maybe Hellion? It has that 1st person survival element, but building is limited to repairing and connecting together existing modules that you find drifting in space.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are there any good god games/world simulation games on Android without microtransations?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Flower, by the makers of Journey is also a game that features a sort of resurrecting the landscape.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OK this isn't necessarily a game recommendation I'm looking for but I can't find the "what was the name of that game again" thread.

I played a game in the last... few years where there was a late-game unlock or option to turn on manual combo inputs or moves. Sort of like fighting game combos or button inputs which would allow you to pull off powerful attacks? It wasn't a menu option, it was an accessory or transformation kind of thing.

From that, I'm thinking it must have been an action-RPG of some kind, or simple action game. This was obviously a sort of high-skill-ceiling option where using it could be extremely powerful but it was also really hard to master. I think it was either on the 3DS or PC, but *maybe* PS3.

I don't even necessarily want to play it again, I just thought of it while playing Yakuza Kiwami 2, I went into extreme heat mode and it has a few more contextual moves and inputs which for some reason triggered this memory. That might be a hint of some kind.

Alternately I might be insane.

Thank you.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 20, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The only thing I can think of like that is Tales of Phantasia.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Remember Me let you put together your own attack strings like that. Third person action brawler set in dystopian Paris.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The only thing I can think of like that is Tales of Phantasia.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/588771-tales-of-phantasia/faqs/16521

This sounds like what he was describing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it wasn't a Tales game (or, I think, as old as that) but that's along the right lines. It was maybe closer to like... needing to be a lot more precise with button inputs? Like an Arkham game where you get a better score multiplier for timing your attacks except the difference was more pronounced?

I hope I wake up and don't have a clue what I was babbling about because I think I'm going prodromal about this

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 21, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It sounds a bit like a thing I heard about God Hand.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Shadow hearts series?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's also Ryu(/Ken) in Smash Bros. where you get benefits for doing the proper inputs, the secret Street Fighter weapons in the Megaman X games based on moves, and also Symphony of the Night and maybe some other Castlevania games had special inputs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I finally got it!! The Armiger Unleashed transformation in ff15, that was added in the PC version and gives you much more technical control over the otherwise fairly automated battle system. It's a late game power up because it requires all the Armiger weapons, and adds powerful combos and moves you can pull off by timing your attack strings, which feels super different to any of the other combat styles and livens up the somewhat bland combat by a lot.

just in case anyone else was wondering! That also explains why Yakuza reminded me of it because it gives you a similar blue glow and they're both modern action-ish Japanese games.

I think I was going to have an aneurysm if I didn't remember that. I don't even know why it was bothering me so much.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Hi everyone! I recently played through both La Mulana games, and I'd like something similar. Simon's Quest in Castlevania Collection also scratches that itch but obviously that game has issues.
Is there something similar I could play? I guess something like an exploration platformer that resembles Metroidvania, but more puzzle-based.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I finally got it!! The Armiger Unleashed transformation in ff15, that was added in the PC version and gives you much more technical control over the otherwise fairly automated battle system. It's a late game power up because it requires all the Armiger weapons, and adds powerful combos and moves you can pull off by timing your attack strings, which feels super different to any of the other combat styles and livens up the somewhat bland combat by a lot.

just in case anyone else was wondering! That also explains why Yakuza reminded me of it because it gives you a similar blue glow and they're both modern action-ish Japanese games.

I think I was going to have an aneurysm if I didn't remember that. I don't even know why it was bothering me so much.

In hindsight it seems obvious. Good job.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Vookatos posted:

Hi everyone! I recently played through both La Mulana games, and I'd like something similar. Simon's Quest in Castlevania Collection also scratches that itch but obviously that game has issues.
Is there something similar I could play? I guess something like an exploration platformer that resembles Metroidvania, but more puzzle-based.

La-Mulana 1 is basically a long love letter to Maze of Galious, so you might check that out. Just be warned that it's an old and pretty clunky game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vookatos posted:

an exploration platformer that resembles Metroidvania, but more puzzle-based.

SteamWorld Dig 2
Xanadu Next
Ori and the Blind Forest

Hollow Knight isn't much for puzzles but it's still good enough for me to mention anyway

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm looking for a good hack-n-slash dungeon crawler. Something not too difficult but also not completely mindless. Like, I want something more tactile than an isometric RPG. Preferably a third person action game. Press button, swing sword, type. I was watching an old Dark Cloud 2 video and was kinda wanting something in that vein of gameplay.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mordiceius posted:

I'm looking for a good hack-n-slash dungeon crawler. Something not too difficult but also not completely mindless. Like, I want something more tactile than an isometric RPG. Preferably a third person action game. Press button, swing sword, type. I was watching an old Dark Cloud 2 video and was kinda wanting something in that vein of gameplay.

Dynasty Warriors 7? It's cheap, and if you crank the difficulty up to hard or (do not do this) chaos or nightmare, it goes from being a mindless button-masher to a bit more involved with breaking the opponent's guard, saving musou attacks to keep yourself alive when they break out theirs, and actually needing to wipe out mooks (especially archers) in order to survive.

Also the story is surprisingly great, and if you don't care for the story there are two other modes that have a lot of variety to them. I like it a lot!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How do you feel about the Devil May Cry series and other spectacle brawler games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ys VIII