Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

:yeah:

I started the game on Hard and couldn't get through lvl 3 bases or whatever. Then I realized I had all these currencies to upgrade different poo poo and realized I was a dummy. I'm still playing on Normal because my powers are still pretty weak. I think the slamjam move will change that, though.

Playing on the XB1X I really appreciate the constant 60fps, but god drat are the graphics blurry. There also doesn't seem to be any HDR. I should have bought this for my aging PC...

Have you tried, and I know this sounds dumb, adjusting the sharpness on your TV? It changed everything for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Lone Badger posted:

Still trying to get the hang of using this thing. Trying to keep it on a knife-edge of heat is tricky.

Just buy the heat management upgrades and this really stops being an issue. With the Rate of Fire mod the towers evaporate even on Nightmare.

Ok, I played this game for 2 days straight on PS4 and really enjoyed it before returning the rental but couldn’t stand the quality of the port. I’m gonna buy it and replay it when it goes on sale for PC, and maybe finish off the Platinum when i can snag it for $20.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Holy moley the intro to the game is atrocious

It just kind of randomly starts and throws characters I don't know about into my face about 30 seconds before they die while my sociopath character goes "lol thats a bummer" then it puts me in a barren room and forces me to listen to a hologram of a character that died 1 minute ago for 10 minutes

I really hope this picks up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Like on a very basic, first day of screenwriting level, having that character just make you a Ranger normally earlier that day, explain everything the hologram says to you in person, and then die works so much better, makes more sense than what is happening on screen, and gives Prowley time to not just be some mean lady who immediately dies.

It just feels stunted in a way I’d really hoped big title games had moved past in 2019.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

limp_cheese posted:

I've tried searching online and I haven't gotten a consistent answer on what mutant spores do. I know its related to some of kind of mutant trader but google hasn't been helpful.

I believe they also function as MBTV tokens.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

limp_cheese posted:

I've tried searching online and I haven't gotten a consistent answer on what mutant spores do. I know its related to some of kind of mutant trader but google hasn't been helpful.

Yeah, you sell them for MBTV tokens at the gift shop, or to the meat merchant in wellsprings.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So are any of the powers ones I should focus on upgrading asap or just as I want? I already spent all the experience on grav jump early on

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Depends on what you mean. For feltrite upgrades dash is pretty good but in general they are all useful and once you get the feltrite and container radar upgrades you end up with a ton. As for actual nanotrite booster upgrades, focus on cooldown upgrades first and foremost. I personally really like shatter because earlier on you don't get reliable ways to remove armor and it can get get a second charge which is actually pretty dang amazing. That and double dash are probably your best bet. Upgrading defib is maybe also a good idea but eh, and the other powers are kinda just mediocre. Slam looks cool and is nice to hit a big crowd but it also means you are now in a big crowd, and without good dashes that's a problem. Barrier wall is neat but also anathema to how I like to play, even though it can do neat things like siphon overdrive off of damage. Vortex grenade is just crowd control and feltrite upgrades are what mostly solves its biggest need, which is range.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Slam is incredibly powerful once upgraded.
I also put 2000 feltrite into fully levelling Constitution (no nanotrite-boosters, just the feltrite). 40% bullet-resist is handy.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Jose posted:

So are any of the powers ones I should focus on upgrading asap or just as I want? I already spent all the experience on grav jump early on

Dash and Slam are good choices
Vortex gets pretty funny but I feel like it's pretty powerful enough right when you first get it

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Man I wish that you could activate powers with a doubletap like in crysis. Double F, double Space, etc.

Also the PC sounds like Rob Huebel and it keeps freaking me out

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All difficulties should zerg rush Double Blink ASAP.

Hard and below should focus on Cooldowns as much as possible because the cooldowns are super generous when upgraded and you can start doing insane poo poo right away.

For Nightmare I’d prioritize the health booster upgrades first so that you can survive the first 3-4 hours without dying 100 times. By mid game I was comfortable and demolishing fresh encounters on Nightmare.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I think my ambivalence to slam my be because on nightmare it just kinda knocks dudes around, I presume on hard it would just mulch them.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I was clearing a bandit filler gas station. I used shatter on a guy and it knocked him into an explosive barrel. Well both him and the barrel had then gained enough kinetic energy to go flying backwards, right through a doorway into the building full of three gas tanks. The whole thing caught me by surprise and the explosions were non-stop for minute. I think that guy I shattered is dead.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
You can have so much fun with explosive barrels/gas tanks in this game. I Vortex’d 3 guys and a barrel together and set one of them on fire with the Revolver, turns out there was a few gas tanks near by as well so that was a fun fireworks show

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
1st impressions:

Intro - dialogue is embarrassingly terrible. Like nobody in any of those situations would react like they did at all. That’s all I remember.

Next - Jesus loving christ right after the intro they literally lock you in a grey featureless room and force you to listen to a loving hologram of a talking head for what feels like 15 minutes of expodump while you just stand there. They couldn’t have put you in a car with John Goodman or whoever and told you all that poo poo while you had something to look at?

Shooting feels real fun though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 18, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So before I spend weapon mods is it a choice between one of the 2 upgrades or can I get both?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Slam and shatter are loving awesome. Barrier is probably the least useful power.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Heavily suggest mainlining ARCs after doing intro missions for all three factions. Not only will it get you powers and weapons, but you’ll also probably get to level 7 with Kvasir, which gets you the Icarus—which makes travel a hundred times more pleasant.

Plus: find a bandit outpost; fly above it; exit Icarus; Slam. Repeat!

Like, the driving itself is okay in this game, but it should feel way more frenetic/kinetic, and instead you just kind of feel like you’re rolling around in the Mako or whatever from Mass Effect.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Jose posted:

So before I spend weapon mods is it a choice between one of the 2 upgrades or can I get both?

Once you have one of the perks in Marshall's tree (something about swapping between gun mods of the same tier), unlocking one unlocks both in that tier. So it's a choice of equipping one over the other but you'll never "waste" mod points in the way you're thinking.

Captain Magic posted:

Plus: find a bandit outpost; fly above it; exit Icarus; Slam. Repeat!

This and ejecting out of the Phoenix into a slam are my favourite ways to say hello.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the weird dialogue and sociopathic behavior is totally intentional btw, surprised how many people dont seem to get that. you're living in a mad max society where death is every day.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Walrus posted:

the weird dialogue and sociopathic behavior is totally intentional btw, surprised how many people dont seem to get that. you're living in a mad max society where death is every day.

there wouldn't be enough people left after a week of that poo poo though, and also how did your mom record those holograms knowing in advance that you would accidentally stumble on a ranger getting his head eaten and put on his armor

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hellsau posted:

there wouldn't be enough people left after a week of that poo poo though, and also how did your mom record those holograms knowing in advance that you would accidentally stumble on a ranger getting his head eaten and put on his armor

that's also pretty obvious, you were always going to be a ranger someday, and your mom is the type to prepare for contingencies. she didn't need to know the specifics, just that one day there might be a time when you had a ranger suit and would need some info and she might not be there to tell you. that said, the exposition dump in the bunker was the worst part of the intro by far, the rest I didn't mind so much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
THE LEGENDARY RANGER JUST GAVE HIS LIFE TO KILL THE MONSTER!

"lol he aint coming back from that! Ew there's still bits of him in his armor that I am now pillaging off his corpse"

"aw shucks my mom died, that's a bummer for sure"

*omniscient mom records tape about events that just happened*

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Also, if you play this on PC and think the game looks blurred or smudgy, change the Depth of field, anti aliasing and chromatic abberation in the settings. My game looked weird as gently caress with the default settings

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Zzulu posted:

anti aliasing

I would recommend against lowering AA. TAA+FXAA combo like here is not pretty in terms of sharpness but unless you counter it with external solutions the image may get less blurry but also a lot worse in terms of quality. The current installment of Avalanches APEX engine already has plenty of flickering issues with it's AA and AO solutions, no need to make it worse.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Why do I have to stop what I'm doing to look at an item and press "PICK UP ITEM" in a supposedly fast-paced goddamn FPS.

edit: sorry, I only have to intentionally pick up items I'd actually want like ammo and blue glow rock that's stuck on walls. Crafting mats and other less important stuff gets auto-grabbed.

what.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 18, 2019

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The combat in this game is a pretty great combination of Saints Row 4 and Doom '16 but holy poo poo every other element is dreadful. The racing is joyless and I'm hoping there's no other forced races beyond the initial mayor story quest.

Is anyone elses resources menu unscrollable on pc? I'm assuming there's other ammo types as a project upgrade mentions them but (and I'm 7 hours in) gently caress knows where they are and whether I have any.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Donovan Trip posted:

Have you tried, and I know this sounds dumb, adjusting the sharpness on your TV? It changed everything for me.

I think the problem is im used to 4k visuals. Every other game I've played on this setup is great. Except JC4, which also suffers from fuzzy visuals.

GreatGreen posted:

Why do I have to stop what I'm doing to look at an item and press "PICK UP ITEM" in a supposedly fast-paced goddamn FPS.

edit: sorry, I only have to intentionally pick up items I'd actually want like ammo and blue glow rock that's stuck on walls. Crafting mats and other less important stuff gets auto-grabbed.

what.

Yeah this is really killing my momentum. It wants to be doom one minute and then a pixel hunting scavenger game the next. There's very little forgiveness when your cursor is right next to an item but not quite there and so I stand there strafing back and forth like a moron trying to pick up 20 rounds of ammo I don't even really need.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Are we sure the writing and dialogue isn’t intentionally awful, like groan level comedy? It sure seems like it’s supposed to be blood dragon groan levels comedy. If you think about it like this and just chuckle it up it’s actually enjoyable.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah this is really killing my momentum. It wants to be doom one minute and then a pixel hunting scavenger game the next. There's very little forgiveness when your cursor is right next to an item but not quite there and so I stand there strafing back and forth like a moron trying to pick up 20 rounds of ammo I don't even really need.

Ok wait I get it now. Some items auto-pickup, some pickup by pressing the pickup button, and some items are activated by holding the pickup button. Holy gently caress that's awful.

Every item in the world should auto-hoover into your inventory. Every button in the world you press should activate with a simple press. There's no goddamn need to hold the activate button. Ever.

edit: also, some containers only open when you shoot or hit them, some only open when you press the activate button, and some open when you hold the focus button.

This is horrible.

edit edit: also why do I have to chase down the blue crystals from chests and fallen enemies when they should zoom straight to me, Crackdown style.

I can't believe how much fun this game is stopping me from having with it. It should be awesome but it's goddamn work to play it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 18, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are we sure the writing and dialogue isn’t intentionally awful, like groan level comedy? It sure seems like it’s supposed to be blood dragon groan levels comedy. If you think about it like this and just chuckle it up it’s actually enjoyable.

its more far cry level bad comedy, which is bad but at least tries to be sorta ironic which better than borderlands level which tries way to hard and constantly shits itself. i mean yeah the story is bad and dumb but i am amused that people expected any better. rage ones story was terrible in its own different ways and not every game is new vegas or witcher or planescape or done like doom 2016.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Ok wait I get it now. Some items auto-pickup, some pickup by pressing the pickup button, and some items are activated by holding the pickup button. Holy gently caress that's awful.

Every item in the world should auto-hoover into your inventory. Every button in the world you press should activate with a simple press. There's no goddamn need to hold the activate button. Ever.

edit: also, some containers only open when you shoot or hit them, some only open when you press the activate button, and some open when you hold the focus button.

This is horrible.

edit edit: also why do I have to chase down the blue crystals from chests and fallen enemies when they should zoom straight to me, Crackdown style.

I can't believe how much fun this game is stopping me from having with it. It should be awesome but it's goddamn work to play it.

if you upgrade focus, it drags the blue stuff to you. the game is massive mixed bag when it comes to gameplay and right now i am just gonna wait for more patches and free poo poo until i play again.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm trying to play RAGE 1 before grabbing the sequel, and boy howdy is it a hot mess. I have an audio bug where about every 5th sound effect is played; conversations, explosions, etc. cut out constantly. Googling isn't helping much as it isn't well documented, though there are some threads on the steam forums from years ago with no solutions.

Anyone have any idea? I have a Schiit Modi 3 external DAC and this is the first time I've ever had a problem.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm trying to play RAGE 1 before grabbing the sequel, and boy howdy is it a hot mess. I have an audio bug where about every 5th sound effect is played; conversations, explosions, etc. cut out constantly. Googling isn't helping much as it isn't well documented, though there are some threads on the steam forums from years ago with no solutions.

Anyone have any idea? I have a Schiit Modi 3 external DAC and this is the first time I've ever had a problem.

rage 1 is pretty bad all around honestly. it feels like its trapped between shooter generations. its trying to be HL2 and bioshock with the way everything is told and shown but its also trying to be cod and halo.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This game might have the weirdest NPC’s of any FPS game. Their outfits and names are so bizarre. But that fits with the dystopian world.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

ChocNitty posted:

This game might have the weirdest NPC’s of any FPS game. Their outfits and names are so bizarre. But that fits with the dystopian world.

Yeah I have like a dozen screenshots of NPCs I took just because they have an amusing or cool name.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
You can't just Hoover up the materials because reading their funny names is part of the game

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

rage 1 is pretty bad all around honestly. it feels like its trapped between shooter generations. its trying to be HL2 and bioshock with the way everything is told and shown but its also trying to be cod and halo.

I'm thinking of just bailing on it honestly. The audio cutting out is obnoxious and I'm losing patience with diving into the cfg files to rat it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Criticisms aside at least they kept the npc hats from rage 1. This game is competing with Anthem for stupidest npc design and I love it.