Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kurtofan posted:

in standard?

No, modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ada posted:

Improved Astral Slide is sick. The art being someone drifting a hotrod on Kaladesh is even better.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rinkles posted:

No, modern.

but horizons is modern legal, right?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

I think Rinkles was saying they should’ve just put in Astral Slide instead of making this new version.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

That's my point. Print Astral Slide in Horizons.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
oh I thought this was astral slide, didn't read the translation

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

oh I thought this was astral slide, didn't read the translation

If the translation is correct than it loses the trigger when your opponent cycles but gains cycling itself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tainen posted:

If the translation is correct than it loses the trigger when your opponent cycles but gains cycling itself.

which is in line with their more modern templating, but Modern is fine with plenty of old school and quirky cards.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

One of my first real magic games was with a roommate who had some of those commemorative decks they used to print, with the special backs, one of which was Slide. Not the ideal way to be introduced.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
There's no way they give us improved Slide but don't give us improved Rift, right?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think the new version is a way cooler move. I like that they created a new version of an iconic card without the dumb and annoying part, but gave it a bit of a power boost to make up for that. I think it's going to be a lot more fun to play with after the first couple of times you play the mirror.

IDK if either version is good enough for Modern as it stands, though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tainen posted:

Horizon Leaks

Also Flusterstorm is the BaB

Good thing I have one already. Better get the other three soon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

out of curiosity, given how much smaller print runs used to be, do you think the old slides would've significantly affected the price? (assuming it were good enough for modern, which is a big if, like clancy said)

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Consider investing in the Amonkhet duals they're probably going to spike being the only cycle lands in modern (also the deserts but they're commons).

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Who else is ready to generate card advantage by sliding Eternal Witness and then get Lightning Stormed to death?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

i was gonna say :gas::gas::gas: yours is very good too!

:iiaca:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

out of curiosity, given how much smaller print runs used to be, do you think the old slides would've significantly affected the price? (assuming it were good enough for modern, which is a big if, like clancy said)

I went and bought an FNM Slide and Rift to use in EDH decks/cube thinking they would be reprinted. Instead I just get to make a cool 5 color cycling deck with 2 slides and rifts, so I'm happy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

Who else is ready to generate card advantage by sliding Eternal Witness and then get Lightning Stormed to death?

I want a shell where I can blink Prime Time over and over again.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Looking at all the decklists here, https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/mtgochamp18/2018-magic-online-championship-standard-decklists-2019-05-17

I actually like Autumn's Phoenix list the best of the bunch. Lots of Esper control and midrange, RDW, WW and a surprising amount of Jeskai, both control and the superfriend variety. I'm genuinely surprised nobody went with Grixis but it's possible the format hadn't gotten that far yet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Nicol Bolas, Dragon God isn't as good as Teferi, Hero of Dominaria.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
https://twitter.com/AmazonHelp/status/1129516845625745408

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/mtgochamp18/2018-magic-online-championship-standard-decklists-2019-05-17

Tons of walker decks! Now that's what you love to see

Peanut!
May 12, 2019
Somehow managed to go 2-2 in WAR limited with a BR no rares pile. Somehow managed to beat an Oketra, but turns out curving out and slamming with a huge Dreadmalkin is Pretty Good.

Also, played against a GR Huatli deck that played piles of the 0/3 reach for G and the 1/3 spider and then smashed my face in with Huatli's ability.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Peanut! posted:

Also, played against a GR Huatli deck that played piles of the 0/3 reach for G and the 1/3 spider and then smashed my face in with Huatli's ability.

Drafted this deck the other night with Ajani and Oketra as my other rares.

That 1/3 white flyer is gas under assault formation huatli.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Peanut! posted:

Somehow managed to go 2-2 in WAR limited with a BR no rares pile. Somehow managed to beat an Oketra, but turns out curving out and slamming with a huge Dreadmalkin is Pretty Good.

I drafted the BW version of this last night:

I did my best to draft UR, and it cost me nothing to draft the cards I did, but there were no blue cards and red dried up after a few picks so BW it is. Never saw any B or W removal but those were the open two colors, which let me play my P1P1 Citadel. Huatli was excellent in this pile, even though I never found any War Screechers, since it made my bad creatures huge and gained me life for Citadel.

I loving hate bot drafts.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
edit gently caress I cant read

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Flusterstorm is now 30 bucks and rising.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
At this point I feel like maindecking The Elderspell in black is just playing the odds

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

Flusterstorm is now 30 bucks and rising.

I'm not surprised, but I really hope it's in the set proper and not only a buy-a-box promo.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Man posted:

I'm not surprised, but I really hope it's in the set proper and not only a buy-a-box promo.

I feel like you haven't been paying attention to this whole BAB promotion

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I feel like you haven't been paying attention to this whole BAB promotion

I just don't want to accept the facts.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

flusterstorm is the worst BAB imaginable since they’re introducing a really powerful new card into the format with an incredibly tiny and limited supply and there’s even already demand for it from other formats

in a word: lol

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Is it even good in modern?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

moush posted:

Not really. I can see it as a one or two of in dedicated control decks and a sideboard card against storm. But, Phoenix doesn't care about their spells resolving as long as it triggers the birb and thats one of the few decks that actually casts multiple spells per turn on the reg.

And midrange and control decks already have to worry about/play around poo poo like Stubborn Denial.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

moush posted:

Probably not as good as it is in Legacy/Vintage, if only because Storm strategies aren't as strong in Modern.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Holy poo poo is mini Teferi annoying to play against as Izzet Phoenix

Might as well say "turn off target opponent". Need to put some anti-planeswalker stuff in the SB

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Holy poo poo is mini Teferi annoying to play against as Izzet Phoenix

Might as well say "turn off target opponent". Need to put some anti-planeswalker stuff in the SB

Why? It only really hits Finale. Other than that I don’t feel like Phoenix really cares about playing at instant speed.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

moush posted:

It will see play.
Probably not in that many decks though.
Fun addition to modern, and I don’t really see any issues with it as a BAB promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Buffis posted:

It will see play.
Probably not in that many decks though.
Fun addition to modern, and I don’t really see any issues with it as a BAB promo.

The only issue is that it's the buy-a-box promo, so it won't be a card you can open in booster packs.