Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nelson Mandela was white because he has an Anglo name.
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nelson mandela has a simpsons name

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Huh. I always assumed Mandela was a Xhosa name.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not just that, I'm pretty sure in some of the residential schools they assigned the kids proper english (or french) names if the school didn't like the name they came in with. I know they did that for first names, but probably last names too.

Wouldnt surprise me. It was the same thing in Greenland, Lappland, etc. Here's a new name, deal with it.

Also in this context it's worth mention that nothing like that happened to immigrants on Ellis Island. Literally everyone who passed through had tickets with their written names, passenger manifests, etc. No misunderstandings whatsoever, everybody was extremely painstaking. It was later that some changed their names from say Jensen to Johnson etc.

e: "Lord" Horatio Nelson was a war criminal who disregarded a white flag and bombarded a civilian population.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

@VitaCoco gently caress that. Save that nasty poo poo for someone else. I would rather drink adult actor Stoya's piss but this will do for now my address is

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

Wouldnt surprise me. It was the same thing in Greenland, Lappland, etc. Here's a new name, deal with it.

Also in this context it's worth mention that nothing like that happened to immigrants on Ellis Island. Literally everyone who passed through had tickets with their written names, passenger manifests, etc. No misunderstandings whatsoever, everybody was extremely painstaking. It was later that some changed their names from say Jensen to Johnson etc.

e: "Lord" Horatio Nelson was a war criminal who disregarded a white flag and bombarded a civilian population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8NVPe_gfZQ

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Krankenstyle posted:

When one of my ancestors was going through Ellis Island, the guy processing his papers mistook the 'a' at the end of his last name as an 'o'. We never bothered changing it back.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

There were illiterate people getting anglophone spellings or non-anglophone names, no wholesale renamings but plenty of "eh gently caress it"s.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Something similar happened with my grandpa: he decided that his Romanian family name would be hard for people to write and so he changed it to something common.
With a slightly unusual spelling as he didn't master Hebrew at the time.
:shrug:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Former DILF posted:

"Says grand cheif Johnathan Soloman"

Ah yes, the famous Cree family called "Soloman"

Canada has a long and storied history of trying to stamp out Native culture and identity, and this is just a tiny part of it.

https://www.ictinc.ca/indian-act-naming-policies posted:

The Indian agents on the west coast of Canada often used biblical names from different religious denominations

If you think about saying "why didn't they just not get a surname", ask Annie E7-121.

You can gently caress right off with your bullshit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

M_Sinistrari posted:

When one of my ancestors was going through Ellis Island, the guy processing his papers mistook the 'a' at the end of his last name as an 'o'. We never bothered changing it back.

:wrong:

Terrible Opinions posted:

There were illiterate people getting anglophone spellings or non-anglophone names, no wholesale renamings but plenty of "eh gently caress it"s.

Typewriters existed and were indeed used. The namechanges came before or after.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Care to cite your sources on the typewriter somehow making government employees competent at their job and less racist?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

that's a good word to know if you're mayochup in a first nations jurisdiction

"Why do you keep asking us for fry sauce? We're Mohawk."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Care to cite your sources on the typewriter somehow making government employees competent at their job and less racist?

look up your great gramps yourself. ellisisland.org

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My family's name was never screwed up at Ellis Island because it was two syllables.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

Typewriters existed and were indeed used. The namechanges came before or after.

https://www.gjenvick.com/Immigration/ImmigrantDocumentation/1923-EllisIslandHistoricalDocuments.html

While typewriters existed and all, not all the documentation was typed.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

My family's name was never screwed up at Ellis Island because it was two syllables.

I'm pretty sure plenty of people could gently caress up Two Syllables fairly easy. People have autocorrect on their phone and still bungle words left and right

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's a smithsonian mag article on it

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/ask-smithsonian-did-ellis-island-officials-really-change-names-immigrants-180961544/

quote:

Ellis Island inspectors were not responsible for recording immigrants’ names. Instead, any error likely happened overseas.

The ship’s manifest was presented to Ellis Island inspectors after the boat docked. From there, the inspector would cross-reference the name on the manifest with the immigrant passenger, and also ask 30 questions to screen out rabble-rousers, loafers, or the physically and mentally infirm, but also to glean information on who they would be living with and where in America, says Urban. The inspectors also would see if the answers matched those recorded by the shipping clerk before departure.

“If anything, Ellis Island officials were known to correct mistakes in passenger lists,” says Philip Sutton, a librarian in the Milstein Division of United States History, Local History and Genealogy, at the New York Public Library, in a blog post delving into the name change mythology.

More commonly, immigrants themselves would change their names, either to sound more American, or to melt into the immigrant community, where they were going to live, says Sutton. If name changes happened with any frequency on Ellis Island, it was not noted in any contemporaneous newspaper accounts or in recollections from inspectors, Sutton says.

It is also unlikely a foreign name would flummox an Ellis Island inspector. From 1892 to 1924, “one-third of all immigrant inspectors were themselves foreign-born, and all immigrant inspectors spoke an average of three languages,” says the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People don’t want to admit that their great great grandpappy changed his name to fit in.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I've seen some bizarre slapfights in my day, but I thought most Americans stopped giving a poo poo about Ellis Island and its legacy approximately twenty minutes after sixth grade social studies

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Genealogist greybeards care :c00lbert:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Reading the article I don't see how it's in any way in conflict with the "legend". Guy in Europe writes down name by hand, Ellis Island guy spells it wrong on type writer. Reason is due to either the European handwriting being wrong or illegible, and the passenger is illiterate. More people changed their name to fit in, but overworked immigration officers and shipping company employees still gently caress up regularly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sure it could happen, but there's no evidence that it did at any appreciable scale.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CapitanGarlic posted:

I've seen some bizarre slapfights in my day, but I thought most Americans stopped giving a poo poo about Ellis Island and its legacy approximately twenty minutes after sixth grade social studies

Bunch of loving nerds interested in history and sociology and poo poo

Let's go smash beer cans with our truck nuts

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
With all due respect to the horrible crime done to your ancestors of misspelling their names when they were freely allowed to come here from Europe by getting on a boat, I'm sure those coming after the various exclusion and quota acts have more harrowing tales.

Content: They're banning Scabbie! :smith:
https://twitter.com/LaborStartUSA/status/1130131044055834624

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 16:36 on May 19, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Reading the article I don't see how it's in any way in conflict with the "legend". Guy in Europe writes down name by hand, Ellis Island guy spells it wrong on type writer.

The Ellis island guy never had a chance to misspell or mistype it because he never wrote or typed it to begin with.

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2013/07/02/name-changes-ellis-island posted:

inspectors never wrote down the names of incoming immigrants.  The only list of names came from the manifests of steamships, filled out by ship officials in Europe. In the era before visas, there was no official record of entering immigrants except those manifests.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

With all due respect to the horrible crime done to your ancestors of misspelling their names when they were freely allowed to come here from Europe by getting on a boat, I'm sure those coming after the various exclusion and quota acts have more harrowing tales.

Content: They're banning Scabbie! :smith:
https://twitter.com/LaborStartUSA/status/1130131044055834624
How can inflatable rats be illegal... when one of them is the president?! :c00l:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/legaladvice_txt/status/1130263300195930118?s=21

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Australia: The Florida of the World

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

Australia: The Florida of the World

I'm wondering how he was wearing them. Were they butterfly cut into slippers or did he bind them like sandals?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Imagine being a serious news reporter trapped in a stoner comedy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm wondering how he was wearing them. Were they butterfly cut into slippers or did he bind them like sandals?

I like to imagine that he used string to tie them to his feet

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Paul Hogan meat shoes

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

Paul Hogan meat shoes

G'day, meat!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

Paul Hogan meat shoes

:discourse:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

Paul Hogan meat shoes

:lol:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Splicer posted:

Imagine being a serious news reporter trapped in a stoner comedy.

American reporters actually go through Florida arrest records if they need news to fill up space.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1130650545482620936

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Teen stole zoo’s elderly, endangered lemur — and abandoned it at hotel, prosecutors say
A weird but not particularly funny story, but I suspect the mugshot will be showing up in clickbait ads pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

At first I was all "his teacher is gay?" but then I realised it's kinda obvious.