Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

DarkHorse posted:

Needs more Amadeus :colbert:

My antics baffle him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

My antics baffle him

I'm cracking up at his doubt

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Your friends and boyfriend are the best. I have a ton of stuff about parrots from over the years, but the stuff given to me by my uncle who died in a car wreck a few years back hold a special place in my heart. He was way into Shamanism too, so I’m sure they’re good mojo. :)

Edit : Serra is a powerful fluff ball -

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 18, 2019

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

My antics baffle him

He's so green!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

My antics baffle him

"What is wrong with you people."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tendai posted:

"What is wrong with you people."

Even his criticism is adorable

:birdthunk:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
:birdthunk: - "Seeds...?"

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bird friends, I've got sad news. The budgie we adopted about a year ago passed away today.

We figured he was about 10-13 based on how long others had him, we had him about a year. He lived the time he spent with his other families eating seed mix from the dollar store, basically ate bird cheetos his entire life, goonbird txt. We tried to get him to eat better stuff with mixed success, but in the end he just wanted that cheap stuff. We think it was either a heart attack or stroke, he was fine one minute, then the next he was not ok on the bottom of the cage, about half hour later he took his final breaths while getting scritches for the first time in his untamed budgie life.

He got a proper burial in the garden with seeds for the afterlife, and plenty of flowers.

May the big millet spray in the sky welcome you, Freddy!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Bird friends, I've got sad news. The budgie we adopted about a year ago passed away today.

We figured he was about 10-13 based on how long others had him, we had him about a year. He lived the time he spent with his other families eating seed mix from the dollar store, basically ate bird cheetos his entire life, goonbird txt. We tried to get him to eat better stuff with mixed success, but in the end he just wanted that cheap stuff. We think it was either a heart attack or stroke, he was fine one minute, then the next he was not ok on the bottom of the cage, about half hour later he took his final breaths while getting scritches for the first time in his untamed budgie life.

He got a proper burial in the garden with seeds for the afterlife, and plenty of flowers.

I'm so sorry to hear that. "Bin of budgies" parakeets seem to live about six years until having health problems in my experience. It sounds like Freddy had a nice, long, awesome life. Stay strong.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Sorry to hear your little goon went across the cheeto bridge to his great reward.

We visited Scout again today, it's been my first visit in a week but my wife was in midweek. We were asked if it was OK if she could have a vacation from her CONE OF SHAME while we visited, on the condition that we watched her and made sure she didn't pick at her bandages. We of course agreed and Scout spent her time out of cone jail by getting scritches and napping in my hand. When she went back into her enclosure she ignored her leg and hobbled over to her pre-crushed nutriberry treat bowl to stuff her face.

The light is at the end of the tunnel it looks like. Dr. McDonald is happy with her recovery, and at this point it looks like we'll be just waiting until she has healed up enough to come home.

Starting next week I am going to be working out of town for the whole summer (except weekends), so it is going to fall on my wife to do a lot of the visits and hopefully the home care.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Thanks for the goondolances, he was a good birb.

Super happy to hear Scout's recovery is going well, some good news is much appreciated tonight!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bird blog because I'm bored:

I graduated in december and was really hoping that by now I'd have a decent livable-wage job and a place of my own and already be hunting for a parrot to adopt but we're still looking. Still doing a bunch of daydreaming about owning a parrot again, I miss my old birds.

I'll probably buy a small(ish) cage and a couple of budgie-bin budgies from the local pet store when I do find a place just to get some quick feathery friends since it'll take awhile even once I'm gainfully employed to find the right african grey for me.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

... basically ate bird cheetos his entire life ...

:smith:

... he took his final breaths while getting scritches for the first time in his untamed budgie life.

:sympathy:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

https://gizmodo.com/feral-parrots-are-taking-over-america-1834763132?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So in talking with Freddy's before-us family, they had him for 11 years, so it's more likely he was closer to 15, pretty impressive!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Tracy demanded pictures be shared after she spent the day screaming at other birds in the backyard tree.

Dignified, Loud:

Less dignified, Loud:

She had her first vet appointment last week, which resulted in her gender being revealed, as well as revealing to me that she loses all coordination and ability to grip on things when her nails are even slightly clipped.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Tracy demanded pictures be shared after she spent the day screaming at other birds in the backyard tree.

Dignified, Loud:

Less dignified, Loud:

She had her first vet appointment last week, which resulted in her gender being revealed, as well as revealing to me that she loses all coordination and ability to grip on things when her nails are even slightly clipped.

Ahahahahahaha oh God that "Dignified" soaking wet picture. I can't get enough of pictures of birds after showers -

Today -

But when she gets a bath, she doesn't start squawking at herself in anger while grooming. :3:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I know you know your bird better than I do, but I would be petrified at the idea of any of mine ever being outside without a harness.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
She's clipped and too young to know how to fly at all. When she gets a little older (and braver) I'll start with the harness. She's a professional faller, currently.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'd still be cautious, conures are light-bodied birds and you'd be surprised how far an errant gust of wind could take one. That said what a perfect photo :kimchi:

also,

Less dignified, Loud:

loving lol

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

She's clipped and too young to know how to fly at all. When she gets a little older (and braver) I'll start with the harness. She's a professional faller, currently.

Wandy the Potato-atiel came outside a lot with me. She was flighted but could barely flap a few yards -

Problem 1. A pigeon dive bombed her quicker than I could react. Luckily my best bud was seated next to me and ran over to slap the pigeon into the middle of next year. Wandy was fine, but a little shaken. The pigeon and his mate would be seen looking in the windows at the bird cages mean mugging them. My buddy and I couldn't bear to kill them, because they had babies. But I learned the "OH GOD SOMETHING IS TRYING TO KILL US!!!" scream from Wandy meant a pigeon was looking in.

Problem 2. Wandy got started and somehow caught an updraft into our neighbours yard. She clung about six feet up on the bricks looking confused. Had to quickly hop into the neighbours little enclosed yard and do a lot of explaining about why. That was the end of her going outside adventures.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Jumping on the outdoor bird monitoring bandwagon, I generally had Ivan's claws in a death grip between my fingers (which he hated for obvious reasons) or in a harness. He loved being outside but having crows and hawks look at him like meat freaked both of us the hell out, so I generally would stay close to under a tree or an overhang of sorts with him, even with the harness. The one time we went to the beach he absolutely hated it. Too open, I think. He also startled at odd times - something would spook him that I would hardly even notice and he'd try to fly, hence the grip or the leash. On the other hand, our balcony had both an overhang and a nice little spot to catch sun, so he absolutely loved it when I went outside for him to catch bonus sun.

Because of this, he really, really enjoyed car rides with me. He'd hang off of the lip of the car window in a very vertical manner and just chirp away while I drove us to get toys or the vet or whatever. It was all of the fun of outdoors (colorful cars! Airplanes! noises!) but he understood that he was 100% safe in the vehicle since I kept the windows up. Very much like a dog in this manner.

On the other hand, there are some people who have free flying birds! I think it depends on your recall ability with your bird (much like with dogs), the intelligence of your bird and a general lack of predators.

Also I love the Ama shrine and am happy to have helped contribute to it :kimchi: The toy Ivan is on my dresser, keeping watch over my trinkets and clothes.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 21, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My budgie always seems to react when a large bird flies by the window, like a crow or a gull. But if a there's a sparrow or other small bird on the balcony, that means it's a friend and he gets all bouncy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

We used to take Pookie outside when she was little - she had clipped wings and could only fly in a fairly steep decline, so it was all safe and fine :)

Except when it wasn't.

She was standing on my hand on the front steps of the house when someone came past carrying an orange basin she hated. She screamed and 5 seconds later she was gone. Vanished around the side of the house, no-one knew where.

2 hours of panicked searching later she was found about 300 feet away and having travelled over three 10+ foot hedges/fences.

She's an african grey, not terrible athletic and who weighs almost exactly a pound, and it was a fairly windless day.

Never ever believe that clipped wings = can't fly away if startled.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

terra has been outside a couple of times but she's fully flighted so that means the dreaded Bird Clothes and she absolutely hates her harness. Getting her into it requires chasing her around the room because she will fly away the moment she sees it, then once you catch her she will yell and screech so that you feel bad forcing her into it.

When she's outside she's in permanent Long Mode unless she meets a human who gives her scritches and then she's happy for about ten seconds. Once she gets inside it's time to take her out of the bird clothes and once you get them off her wings she will flip the gently caress out so it's even harder to get it off her head. Some millet helps her recover from all this trauma though!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

My budgie always seems to react when a large bird flies by the window, like a crow or a gull. But if a there's a sparrow or other small bird on the balcony, that means it's a friend and he gets all bouncy.

We'd know when a big bird was nearby, the burbling stopped and they all went skinny. Sometimes I'd go outside and clap to scare whatever it was away, so naturally one of the budgies started mimicking a half clap/squawk noise when they were scared.

I had major anxiety about them getting out of the house, when they were out of their cages all the doors and windows were locked and visitors were told to gently caress off.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1c_jh1dNYQ

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 21, 2019

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

redgubbinz posted:

We'd know when a big bird was nearby, the burbling stopped and they all went skinny. Sometimes I'd go outside and clap to scare whatever it was away, so naturally one of the budgies started mimicking a half clap/squawk noise when they were scared.

I had major anxiety about them getting out of the house, when they were out of their cages all the doors and windows were locked and visitors were told to gently caress off.

e:

loving legend.

In the city I'm living in now, there's a semi-permanent bird store on the side of the road. South-East Asia is weird, man. So many tiny cages.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The place I lived when I first got Sera had a window looking out on to a green space with a bunch of trees that was a nightly roost for a gang of crows. Sera would sit on the window sill and yell at them in the morning, especially if there were stragglers who hadn't yet gone off to do Crow Business for the day and were sleeping in.

They could neither see nor hear him from that distance so it was a very one-sided war.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'd still be cautious, conures are light-bodied birds and you'd be surprised how far an errant gust of wind could take one. That said what a perfect photo :kimchi:

also,

loving lol

yeah... both of mine are clipped and are good at "falling" but when spooked can still manage to fly into the other room.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I was looking for an image reference for a cockatiel in flight for an art project (because I can't get my boys to pose like that) and I found this and I am compelled to share:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

redgubbinz posted:

e:

Loool, I love that fluffy = happy and skinny = scare.

A budgie that gets out would be so hard to get back, I'd imagine, unless it was really trained to come back on command. A kissy sound is usually what I do to summon my bird if I want him but he's in another room... I sometimes "fantasize" (is that the proper word? It's like, automatic rumination/following bad rabbit holes) about my budgie getting loose and not being able to fly back to me and then me losing him among the trees. :( :( :(

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

RoboRodent posted:

I was looking for an image reference for a cockatiel in flight for an art project (because I can't get my boys to pose like that) and I found this and I am compelled to share:

Majestic

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I appreciate the advice on the outdoorsy bird adventures, I'll probably be a little less cavalier going forward.

I'm looking to get a bigger cage for Tracy; she seems happy enough with what we have, but I still think it's too small. Are A&E Cages worth the cost? I don't mind spending money as long as I'm not getting completely ripped off, and what I'm looking at runs around $600.

Rarely-dry chicken thanks you all in advance.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

When cockatiels fly they look all hunched over with their legs dangling. I’ve always described it as a fat kid running down stairs method of flight.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I appreciate the advice on the outdoorsy bird adventures, I'll probably be a little less cavalier going forward.

I'm looking to get a bigger cage for Tracy; she seems happy enough with what we have, but I still think it's too small. Are A&E Cages worth the cost? I don't mind spending money as long as I'm not getting completely ripped off, and what I'm looking at runs around $600.

Rarely-dry chicken thanks you all in advance.

Your bird is totally adorable.

Also thank you for not getting defensive about our concerns! A lot of bird owners will go bat poo poo insane at any perceived criticism of their care habits. Part of why I like this group is that we're mostly completely drama free, and we are willing to talk to each other like adults - except when we talk about our birds then it's all baby chat and kissy noises.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, it's great when someone listens and we can avoid a birdie tragedy.

My dad had a Velcro tiel that was clipped and desperately wanted nothing except to be on his shoulder. He opened the door to blow some seed hills out of her food dish, sneezed from the dusty, and startled her into the air. She got caught in an updrafts and didn't know how to fly, so she just clapped harder and harder out of sight.

He was able to follow her screams of panic, but as he got closer she'd try to fly to him only to fly further up in the trees and farther away. Her cries gradually got further and further away, all in the cold of an overcast December day.

Eventually she got tired and just clung to the side of a tree. He found her when she was on the edge of hearing, a quarter mile away in their very rural area, and had to get his longest extension ladder to reach her. Even then he had to coax her down another three feet into his finger. All the whole hoping she didn't panic again and get lost forever.

Don't take the risk :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

From reading this thread - I'm back in page 60-70 and use it to make my day way more cheerful - do not let you bird outside, there's an absolutely devastating page where two different goons lose their birds outside, and then a page later LAB's bird dies and I can't take that kind of heartbreak again :(

I clutched my dog's leash pretty tight today because if he gets loose he doesn't like to come back and I can't imagine being without him.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah one of them was me. Poor little budgie, I still miss him sometimes.

E: also wow I've been hanging out in this thread for 700+ pages.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 22, 2019

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yep. Keep in mind that with larger, heavier birds it's a little bit different story--Auri in her current clipped state isn't much of a risk, but I still don't take her out if it's very windy just in case, not do I take her on balconies or other exposed edges/cliffs. But she is a ~280g Amazon. Quite different from the <100g conures, cocktiels, and budgies (do budgies even hit 50g?)

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
For me this is the bottom line - Serra is going to get a harness at some point, she will hate it, I'll laugh and take pictures, feel guilty, throw it in a drawer, and repeat the procces every few years.