Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Floppychop posted:

Question for people that have watched/read into stuff about GW's new Contrast paints.

Normally how I do hordes is basecoat the most prevalent color with my airbrush, wash, pick out details, then highlight.

I have a bunch of squigs to paint, are the Contrast paints going to save me any time?

Honestly, I don't know. Depending on how you put your wash on then yeah, just using Contrasts might actually be faster, and you could do the details with other Contrast paints. Certainly you'd save the clean up time of the airbrush. Realistically though, airbrushing the basecoat on is pretty drat fast, and you'll get a better result overall doing things traditionally, so I think it'll be a personal call on the balance of potential time saved vs whatever the drop in quality is.

Edit: To be more concise, objectively yeah, just going with Contrasts will absolutely save you time by cutting out the AB and details steps, but also (probably) diminish quality.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I done painted an age of sigmar

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Endman posted:

That's a very clean and nice goldboy. I like your metals highlighting, looks great.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Endman posted:

Beautiful metal boy you made there. Almost makes me want to pick-up an AoS army.

I had some old Killa Kans from 10ish years ago, covered in craft paint and done to my, at the time, standard. I've re-done two of them (without stripping the paint out of fear of completely undoing whatever plastic glue joins are left) so far, but here is there brother who has yet to be re-touched:

Not the thickest paint in the world but it's pretty awful. I've done my...okayest with his brothers, there's only so much i can do without stripping them.

I'd feel a lot better putting those Kans on a table at the very least.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
X-Post from the 30k thread! Since January I put together White Scars and Alpha Legion Heresy Armies inspired by the recent Malevolence book release featuring a large campaign pitting those forces against each other during the opening stages of the Horus Heresy.

I designed this White Scars list with the Brethren of Steel Rite of War in mind. I liked the idea of big mechanicum robots stomping around in White Scars colors. I was also inspired by the idea that while each legion had its own specialty, at the end of the day, each legion really had access to most of the same equipment and general battlefield tactics. This being said, I wanted to do the White Scars in the most un-White Scarry way possible, hence no bikes or jetbikes. These are Terran based Astartes that don't really get the appeal of going fast.

A little over 3000 points in all it's glory!

Vets in a terrax.

Tacticals in a terrax.

Assault Squad with hand flamers

Plasma Seekers, Praetor, Praevian, Forgelord

Castellax, Domitar, Medusa

The crown jewel, a marauder destroyer!

The Abaddon Fanclub!

Autilon Skorr is probably my favorite character design. I totally dig the Alice in Wonderland style white rabbit mask and huntsman poweraxe.

:pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming: 2019 year of the destroyer :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

Finally some Ruinstorm demons. The goal was to create 2 units of lesser demons, 2 units of brutes, 2 chosen, and a greater demon so I have plenty of options to summon with my Alpha Legion regardless of which power was rolled. In reality, this will probably snowball into a ZM list and then a 3000+ full army.

I went with mostly GW tzeentch demons, but wanted to have a faceless horde. I smoothed over the proto-horror's faces, and left the chaos spawns with gaping anuses for faces to make them feel extra foreign. The greater demon is a dark elf Kharibdyss with chaos spawn bits. The overall force is still WIP, but I think I'm fairly happy with the fleshy approach.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Jesus, those demons are creepy as gently caress! Nicely done!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Endman posted:

Please post your recipe. This is the exact look I want to use on my Infinity Invincibles

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

These are amazing

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Floppychop posted:

Question for people that have watched/read into stuff about GW's new Contrast paints.

Normally how I do hordes is basecoat the most prevalent color with my airbrush, wash, pick out details, then highlight.

I have a bunch of squigs to paint, are the Contrast paints going to save me any time?

Probably not if you have an airbrush, but we don't know enough yet. They've barely just previewed them and we don't know for certain when they're hitting shelves.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I finally have painting space after too many years. I've unpacked my paints and found that half of these jerks

are unsalvageable, and most of the remaining are going to take a lot of water, matte medium, and mixing to make them usable.

How are Army Painter paints? I'm looking at an Army Painter Mega Set on Amazon that'll handle the basic spectrum at less than $2 a bottle, which seems too good to be true. I'll still be picking up specific colors from other lines as I need them, but a cheap-ish set like this is incredibly tempting to get basic colors in stock. I've never used Army Painter paints before, though, and I don't want to end up with craft store paints :pwn:

edit: nm, the discord goons and some googling set me straight. Army Painter will make me sad. I'll be heading to my FLGS to raid their Vallejo displays this weekend.

Tadhg fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 18, 2019

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Please post your recipe. This is the exact look I want to use on my Infinity Invincibles

All of the paints I used are Citadel with the exception of the white which is Vallejo, but it’s just plain white so it doesn’t matter.

The gold is Retributor Armour, washed all over with Agrax Earthshade. I then did a highlight with Liberator Gold on the raised areas that would catch light, but leaving most parts, and then I did another more selective highlight with Runefang Steel.

The blue is Kantor Blue, washed with Drakenoff Nightshade, then blended up with progressive amounts of White.

The red is Khorne Red washed with Agrax Earthshade and then blended up with progressive amounts of Wild Rider Red.

The parchment is Rakharth Flesh washed with Seraphim Sepia and highlighted with Pale Wych Flesh? Not sure of the name of that last one.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tadhg posted:

edit: nm, the discord goons and some googling set me straight. Army Painter will make me sad. I'll be heading to my FLGS to raid their Vallejo displays this weekend.

Army Painter washes are great.

TheWarStore also sells Vallejo.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I honestly do think, considering the price, the mega painter set is actually pretty good. I wouldn't want to rely on any of the colors as primary colors for anything I was reproducing at scale but it's great to have options when you realize you just need a little bit of purple on one little spot. I would say if you have a specific scheme in mind and you have enough money to buy the mega paint set and the paints you need to succeed at your basic scheme I would definitely pull the trigger. I don't know what it would cost to reproduce all that in Vallejo, but in P3 you're probably looking at 3-4x the cost.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I think I'm going to transfer my GW paints and probably my P3 paints to dropper bottles so I don't have to worry about them inevitably drying out. Can I just dump then in a new bottle, then dump and equal amount of glaze medium in there, mix it up, and call it a day while also having pre-thinned paints afterward? Because that sounds pretty nice.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I've been using warcolors and scale75 lately. I think I'm going go give the gw stuff to the kids to do whatever with.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I think I'm going to transfer my GW paints and probably my P3 paints to dropper bottles so I don't have to worry about them inevitably drying out. Can I just dump then in a new bottle, then dump and equal amount of glaze medium in there, mix it up, and call it a day while also having pre-thinned paints afterward? Because that sounds pretty nice.

That much glaze medium sounds like a lot. I've transferred P3 and GW paints to 18ml bottles. First transfer unthinned, add a few ml water (or airbrush medium) and shake, transfer, repeat. That gets pretty much everything and leaves the paint fairly well thinned. In my experience super thinned paint is a bit of a pain if you want to drybrush with it later.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yup.

USPlastics.com sells cheap dropper bottles.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tadhg posted:

I finally have painting space after too many years. I've unpacked my paints and found that half of these jerks

are unsalvageable, and most of the remaining are going to take a lot of water, matte medium, and mixing to make them usable.

How are Army Painter paints? I'm looking at an Army Painter Mega Set on Amazon that'll handle the basic spectrum at less than $2 a bottle, which seems too good to be true. I'll still be picking up specific colors from other lines as I need them, but a cheap-ish set like this is incredibly tempting to get basic colors in stock. I've never used Army Painter paints before, though, and I don't want to end up with craft store paints :pwn:

AP is decent, Vallejo is much better, and RIP your paints. The screwtop dropper bottles ought to be mostly fine, but GW started doing planned obsolescence of paint pots with the black bullet shaped pots knocking on 20 years ago. I still have paints intact from the previous generation, but everything after that dries out in the space of a year or two because the seals are awful.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I recently got a deal on one of the Army Painter paint sets along with one of the washes sets, and overall I'd say they're pretty good. You definitely have to shake the hell out of them, so to that end I also grabbed some stainless steel mixing balls from AK Interactive. Overall I'd say I'm rather pleased with the paints thus far.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Pro-tip, if you have access to a clothes dryer, just set a rack with the paints you want mixed on top of the dryer for 10-15 minutes, it'll agitate and mix them up pretty good.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I recently got a deal on one of the Army Painter paint sets along with one of the washes sets, and overall I'd say they're pretty good. You definitely have to shake the hell out of them, so to that end I also grabbed some stainless steel mixing balls from AK Interactive. Overall I'd say I'm rather pleased with the paints thus far.

Would a nice big Army Painter set be appropriate for someone just starting out, you think?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the sonic sledgehammer tutorial guy got a bunch of army painter paints and did a video saying he was impressed with them, I haven't tried them, but they seem worth checking out if you're on a budget or just starting out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9OktJ6rMsE

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-posting

richyp posted:

Had a quick mess about with a sponge and some metals, inks and texture paints to try and ding up an old model as the red I painted it in a few years ago is a lot lighter than the Corsairs of been painting, so now at least he fits in nicely.

(yes it does say lol).

And with his new buds

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dienes posted:

Would a nice big Army Painter set be appropriate for someone just starting out, you think?

I'd say so, with the previously stated caveat that they do need a lot of shaking/stirring and some paint agitators added. But with that said, I've heard similar complaints about Vallejo etc. over the years. I don't think there's a paint company out there that is unanimously rated 100% perfect, every range has a color or set of colors or whatever that has problems.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the sonic sledgehammer tutorial guy got a bunch of army painter paints and did a video saying he was impressed with them, I haven't tried them, but they seem worth checking out if you're on a budget or just starting out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9OktJ6rMsE

I remember chuckling when I saw this because I had literally just gotten all my stuff (paints, washes, and the AK mixers) a few days before he did this video. :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 19, 2019

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I've found army painter to be a mixed bag so far. The 3 base washes (Dark, Strong, Soft) are pretty drat good, most of the coloured washes are fine but I've had some issue with the purple one acting more like a glaze at times without a bunch of extra thinning.

The paints I've used have been mostly fine. Plate mail is a good solid metal. I've had some issues with red and yellow being absurdly thin but I could just have a bad batch.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Shake the crap out of all your paints. Stuff separates no matter what brand it came from.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I got a box of Team Yankee paints because it was on sale at my FLGS and it definitely needs shaking. In fact, it needs vigorous shaking each time I use one of them. Somehow they look really good though. I expected them to completely suck for how cheap I got them.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
I bought the AP paint set as an Amazon sale deal, and am mostly happy with it. The washes are all really solid, the metallics are mostly good (Greedy Gold is utter poo poo, but everything else is good to fantastic), and the stuff i mostly use (Leather Brown, Dragon/Pure Red, Greenskin, Jungle Green) are really solid paints. The Skin tones are hit or miss and are mostly too thin, Dark Stone is either great or wash levels thin, but the Blues are really great imo. Overall if you're starting out and NEED a huge variety or want to experiment with a ton of colors, it's a good set. If you have a set scheme in mind, probably skip on it and just buy the paints you need.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Changed my mind a bit after seeing some youtube painter reviews. Ordered the Army Painter set since it seems serviceable and will help me quickly restock, and I'll be hitting the FLGS tomorrow for some of my key colors. No juice money this week, I guess.

I also ordered a crapton of bearings and am digging my jigsaw out of storage to try and salvage what hasn't dried up. Time to be a shake-weight commercial.

I'm just excited to be able to start painting again. :dance:

Endman
May 18, 2010

richyp posted:

x-posting

The OSL on the eyes is :discourse:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Okay so I got some of that supposed best chrome paint ever Molotow Liquid Chrome pen refill stuff.

What am I going to need to use to clean out paintbrushes and my airbrush after using it? Isopropyl alcohol, I suppose? I don’t suppose the Iwata-Medea airbrush cleaner will be up to the task.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Stephenls posted:

Okay so I got some of that supposed best chrome paint ever Molotow Liquid Chrome pen refill stuff.

What am I going to need to use to clean out paintbrushes and my airbrush after using it? Isopropyl alcohol, I suppose? I don’t suppose the Iwata-Medea airbrush cleaner will be up to the task.

Tamiya airbrush cleaner (with the pink lid) is very good at annihilating anything that went in your airbrush.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

Tamiya airbrush cleaner (with the pink lid) is very good at annihilating anything that went in your airbrush.

Might have to give that a shot. I find even with flow improver, the badger cleaner I use now still leaves a bit of residue that forces me to remove at least one part of the brush to wipe down the needle, sometimes the whole dang needle

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

Might have to give that a shot. I find even with flow improver, the badger cleaner I use now still leaves a bit of residue that forces me to remove at least one part of the brush to wipe down the needle, sometimes the whole dang needle

I always pull the needle and clean it, but that's just my habit to make sure everything is clean.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

EvilBeard posted:

I always pull the needle and clean it, but that's just my habit to make sure everything is clean.
:same:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hoppe's No 9 gun cleaner also works well.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Worked up individual shots of each lasgun trooper in this squad.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Skails posted:

Worked up individual shots of each lasgun trooper in this squad.

These are rad as hell and I've always wanted to paint some of these dudes but last time I checked (a long time ago) they were pretty drat rare / expensive. Still, gonna keep an eye out for them and I might have to steal parts of your scheme now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone know a good place to get crumbling columns and other ruins type stuff like in this massive voodoo post?

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2019/05/review-beginner-workshop-in-augsburg_10.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone know a good place to get crumbling columns and other ruins type stuff like in this massive voodoo post?

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2019/05/review-beginner-workshop-in-augsburg_10.html

Dragonforge has a few in their reliquary set.
http://www.dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/base_sets/sci-fi/reliquary.htm