Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Injustice 2 is a great love letter to DC comics and it’s fans, but what might have changed had it released several months earlier before a certain presidential election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I didn't read the thread but I like Science Friday

same, except i didn't pass basic shop class and enjoy car talk

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I used to listen to MPR until something annoyed me to the point were I just switched to endless podcasts but I remember them running something for the Koch Brothers but whenever I google it I'm told they don't accept any funding or money from them, am I crazy?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I used to listen to MPR until something annoyed me to the point were I just switched to endless podcasts but I remember them running something for the Koch Brothers but whenever I google it I'm told they don't accept any funding or money from them, am I crazy?

No you see they receive money from the Koch Foundation, it's totally different

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i got so pissed off by a stupid puff piece for "blockchain" a while back that i actually wrote the NPR ombudsman

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FilthyImp posted:

I'd like to be the NPR Games Guy.

"This is Xathur Sargasso for NPR Games. Red Dead Redemption 2 is being lauded as one of the greatest games ever made... but what it's *not* saying about climate change is landing its head writer in hot water."

PBS had this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWNm5DUSZkc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRVp5dJH_Ac

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Raptor1033 posted:

*plays yet another iteration of an ethereal, wispy, white woman singing over a ukulele*

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I'm Corey Flintoff.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
You're listening to Mountain Stage, bitch!

*incredible fiery banjo riffs explode from your car speakers*

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

*literally runs an entire week of stories about how the proles dont deserve welfare because of a huge donation from a sponsor*

"We understand that some viewers are concerned about our recent programming but don't worry there's a 10 minute story coming up at 9 pm from the opposite perspective, courtesy of Bowtie T Dipshit"

"Thanks Zenobia, and while I think that workers do actually deserve welfare, but only after jumping through so many hoops that my position is effectively the same as your benevolent sponsors."

this actually happened

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yeah, I like the stories from planet money but half of the time it’s just economists talking about things which may seem fine in theory but in practice never turn out that way. They keep talking about how the low unemployment level is great for workers because now the companies have to pay more and give more benefits to attract them! It’s like they’ve never had to bother working a “real” job in their lives and are clueless on how the world really works outside of their economic theories.

This episode was brought to you by Wells Fargo!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
did any of you nerds listen to the Fresh Air with Howard Stern.
I got to listen to about 30 minutes of it

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Original_Z posted:

Yeah, I like the stories from planet money but half of the time it’s just economists talking about things which may seem fine in theory but in practice never turn out that way. They keep talking about how the low unemployment level is great for workers because now the companies have to pay more and give more benefits to attract them! It’s like they’ve never had to bother working a “real” job in their lives and are clueless on how the world really works outside of their economic theories.

This episode was brought to you by Wells Fargo!

Republican economists either never took more than econ 101 or don't have the mental capacity* to understand anything beyond perfect competition. It would be hilarious if it wasn't ruining so many lives.

*technically some are smart enough but they choose to lie because they are evil pieces of poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’m Gwen Tompkins and in this story about a Spanish language radio program, the only name I will aggressively overpronounce is Jean-Paul Sartre.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

There have been many responses to (derisive voice) Trump’s Trade War. But one you may not have heard about, (insanely smug voice) comes from the donkeys! The donkey trade in (voice immediately sounds like a white woman impersonating Speedy Gonzalez) Tee-hah-hoooanya, Meh-heeee-koh (tumbleweed rolls by, Mariachi guitar strum)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

poisonpill posted:

There have been many responses to (derisive voice) Trump’s Trade War. But one you may not have heard about, (insanely smug voice) comes from the donkeys! The donkey trade in (voice immediately sounds like a white woman impersonating Speedy Gonzalez) Tee-hah-hoooanya, Meh-heeee-koh (tumbleweed rolls by, Mariachi guitar strum)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

FilthyImp posted:

I'd like to be the NPR Games Guy.

"This is Xathur Sargasso for NPR Games. Red Dead Redemption 2 is being lauded as one of the greatest games ever made... but what it's *not* saying about climate change is landing its head writer in hot water."

:drat:

Nailed it.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

poisonpill posted:

:ck5:

Jesus, even when I agree with some of the editorial lines seeping out of the news the smarmy tone just ruins it.

Ari Shapiro is the smarmiest host that ever smarmed

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

I'm going to use "we" to refer to habits that no-one who makes less than $100K a year does

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

tangy yet delightful posted:

Republican economists either never took more than econ 101 or don't have the mental capacity* to understand anything beyond perfect competition. It would be hilarious if it wasn't ruining so many lives.

*technically some are smart enough but they choose to lie because they are evil pieces of poo poo.

I know this threads topic can lend itself to politix, but let’s not too much blatantly, to keep it open. Thanks!

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 18, 2019

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Sound opinions is the only NPR program I actually like. I still end up listening to my affiliate station regularly because everything else is i heart radio garbage and I love infuriating myself. Centrist propaganda is the worst because it's less overt, smugly self assured, and above all boring. Also I want to garrote the loving host of the ted radio hour.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

morally adept posted:

Sound opinions is the only NPR program I actually like. I still end up listening to my affiliate station regularly because everything else is i heart radio garbage and I love infuriating myself. Centrist propaganda is the worst because it's less overt, smugly self assured, and above all boring. Also I want to garrote the loving host of the ted radio hour.
Again going to recommend Selected Shorts and Snap Judgement. Just avoid NPR's news and politics coverage because they have great shows dedicated to arts and culture.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
*first day on the job*

Welcome back to Don't Wait, Just Kill Me

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Again going to recommend Selected Shorts and Snap Judgement. Just avoid NPR's news and politics coverage because they have great shows dedicated to arts and culture.

NPR's not bad for "what happened today, like, in general," but then again everything gets halted for The President Made A Tweet. I use the NPR One app in the morning to get that five minute Lakshmi Singh thing, but lately I seem to be skipping most other segments until I hit an unskippable commercial, then I just turn it off.

I can pinpoint when I started losing the faith, though. A host of All Things Considered did her own segment about how she finally realized that traffic rerouting apps were a problem because they were keeping her from getting to her vacation house in Martha's Vineyard in a timely fashion via her favorite shortcuts.

With a Perspective, I'm doctorfrog.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
what if NPR, but all programming was done by phil hendrie

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm Ofeibea Quist-Arcton

*inhales*

DAKAAAAAAAAAR

SoR Blaze posted:

ACRAAAAAAAA

QATAAAAAARRRR

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I'd listen to NPR if they had Howard Handupme working for em.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

The Cheezy Poofs song fits over the ATC theme perfectly. Sing along the next time you're in the car!

I love cheezy poofs
you love cheezy poofs
if we didn't eat cheezy poofs
we'd be lame!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

doctorfrog posted:

NPR's not bad for "what happened today, like, in general, except if it was in any way progressive or left-of-center, in which case if we even do decide to mention it we'll make sure to tell you why you actually should be worried about it"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

raspurtin posted:

The Cheezy Poofs song fits over the ATC theme perfectly. Sing along the next time you're in the car!

I love cheezy poofs
you love cheezy poofs
we'd be lame!

I have always done this

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

raspurtin posted:

I love cheezy poofs
you love cheezy poofs
we'd be lame!

mother of god.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
today, a guest will be presenting a story in a monotone voice about a life experience that shaped their foundation, please enjoy this extremely interesting story from Bijay Colombo-Davis

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

*gets violently murdered by Kai Ryssdal*

*comes back to life as a zombie and murders Kai Ryssdal*

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*talks about yet another record-breaking hottest day*

*stays on script and makes sure not to mention climate change*

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Was it the weeklong SSDI abuse story? That did it for me

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
This is NPR here’s a full day of stories about how nothing is possible in America why even try?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

“And now, the news.”

*silence, then a slowly growing feedback loop of white noise for 15 minutes.*

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

something something Hamilton something Game of Thrones

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

quote:

She and her husband, Christopher, welcomed their son, Leviathan, on Dec. 19.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/05/28/726572880/bill-of-the-month-4-836-charge-for-laughing-gas-during-childbirth-is-no-joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

doctorfrog posted:

NPR's not bad for "what happened today, like, in general," but then again everything gets halted for The President Made A Tweet.

I can pinpoint when I started losing the faith, though. A host of All Things Considered did her own segment about how she finally realized that traffic rerouting apps were a problem because they were keeping her from getting to her vacation house in Martha's Vineyard in a timely fashion via her favorite shortcuts.

With a Perspective, I'm doctorfrog.

I got so tired of President spam like 10 years ago in college. At least with Obama, I could stand to hear the man's voice. No wonder people have this outsized view of the power of the executive when the media covers any little thing they say and do.

I've never listened to Dinner Party Download but the promos make it sound like the most WASPy poo poo ever.