Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Seditiar posted:

The bot is really bad when it comes to status duration. None of the statuses really matter other than Corrosive imo, which permanently strips armor anyway regardless of status duration mods.

Sure there's better negatives to have, but it's not a super bad one, as long as it's not -100% duration or worse.

E: If it is -100% or worse, it's definitely a super bad one to have as most statuses will stop working entirely.

Yeah, it's just -50%. Think I'll use it for a bit untill I fancy rolling higher. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

PS4 trading is bent for several reasons.

PS4 coupons only apply to single marketplace purchases, so you can't bulk buy plat with a coupon and then use it on trade. This is because plat purchases are handled through the PS store and Sony's rules don't permit discounts outside of their own sales (I tend to buy chunks when they have their 40% triannual sales, but we have never had anything like 75% off).

DE already has that code redemption setup on their site where all platform users can get items via code. I’m a little surprised you can’t just buy plat codes with or without coupons and redeem them via the code system. It’d be a slick way to work around Sony’s poo poo.

It’d also be a handy way to gift stuff across platforms

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There are a couple of ways round it, but I get the impression the PS4 team are too busy trying to catch up with PC to handle many of the platform specific issues, like the matchmaking bugs and disappearing surfaces on OG models.

Coming up with ways to make PS4 equal is sadly probably something they will never have time for. Controller issues were only something that got fixed when the PC updates started trying to unify it.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah that thing looks like it's going to rule. Burst-fire toxin sniper rifle.

Thats not a burst fire sniper. Its an EXPLOSIVE toxin sniper rifle, it says it fires a bursting round and you can increase its radius with zooming, so its even better.

Also I'm looking forward to what sounds like a bee pistol. Even if its weak it got so much unique about it i'm getting it either way.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

That rifle looks like a derpy asian dragon panting with an open jaw, blue eyes and goofy looking mustache(?) included.

.... it's going to be a Ridley drop isnt it

It just told a joke and is waiting for people to catch up

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

It's kind of weird to me how people over at Warframe do their best to not show spoilers/spoiler mode etc. on stream, or if they do at least warn people in advance, yet they tweet about spoiler mode without spoiler tags. :v:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It is also very commonplace now to use the spoiler button to revive and sometimes to dash around the level to get to extraction. I know I'm in the habit of using it now and again since I swapped out my magus overload for magus lockdown.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Seditiar posted:

It's kind of weird to me how people over at Warframe do their best to not show spoilers/spoiler mode etc. on stream, or if they do at least warn people in advance, yet they tweet about spoiler mode without spoiler tags. :v:

They made a mode just for this that does t show spoilery things like blue lotus, etc. Specifically for you tubers.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Yeah I know, it's just something I found weird is all.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Is there a "best" sentinel to get as my first sentinel?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sextro posted:

Carrier

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sextro posted:

not... really? I think Taxon is the "starter" one, and Helios has the utility that makes sense most for new play (scanning), but it's a very low stakes decision since they all have vacuum now.

Only Helios can have deconstructor which is the only sentinel weapon worth poo poo, if that matters.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Captainicus posted:

It is also very commonplace now to use the spoiler button to revive and sometimes to dash around the level to get to extraction. I know I'm in the habit of using it now and again since I swapped out my magus overload for magus lockdown.

people see things a bit differently if they haven't done certain quests

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm out on these Plains of Eidolon, and getting murdered by flying robots. I cannot hit them with arrows -- did I make a mistake by taking a bow? Should I buy a rifle instead?

Thanks.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you're talking about the floaty mask fellows with the bad blue fire, you aren't at the point where you can actually kill them. Avoid the Plains after nightfall until you're much deeper into the main quest.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If you mean the things that fly high off the ground and strafe you then yeah a bow sucks hard for them so bring a hitscan weapon to the plains. But if you're early enough to be worried about your starting weapon you can ignore the plains for now. Come back later when you're stronger. It's on the starting planet and the game gives you a quest early to go there but it's really not a lowbie place.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
I made my first infested doggo!

He is named Sketti because he is a good noodley boi. Except for when his face all detaches and comes apart, I could do without that tbh.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

prefect posted:

I'm out on these Plains of Eidolon, and getting murdered by flying robots. I cannot hit them with arrows -- did I make a mistake by taking a bow? Should I buy a rifle instead?

Thanks.

if you're talking about the little robots that turn into blue ghosts when you hit em- there's no way to kill those things until after you do The War Within

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if you're not talking about those, you're probably talking about dagryns, which are more like jet bikes than robots. They have pilots.

It does suck a lot to shoot them with a bow yeah lol

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Also is it just me or are shotgun mods really rare? My strun is at 14 mastery and I only have 3 mods for it.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Sextro posted:

There are a few good sentinels, though some may take a while to come to their own.

You will receive Taxon as your first sentinel. Taxon comes with Artax, a laser pointer that will automatically slow down an enemy hit and point it out to you. Molecular Conversion is also handy for dealing some damage and restoring your shields in the bargain. Overall decent, but Taxon is perhaps the most fragile sentinel you will have. I would recommend switching to another when you can.

Carrier is a solid choice for your second sentinel; on top of being the toughest sentinel of its type (and Carrier Prime is the toughest sentinel, period), it comes with Ammo Case, an ability that expands your maximum ammo capacity and provides delayed ammo conversion. Useful for bullet hoses where ammo is a real concern. Carrier comes with Sweeper, a shotgun that has not much to write home about, but has some niche uses (see Dethcube).

Later, you can get a Simaris mod for the Carrier called Looter: when near a container, it will emit a radial AoE that breaks them, as long as the container is within line of sight.

Alternatively, you can go for Helios. Helios' gimmick is Investigator, a mod that will automatically scan stuff for you as long as you don't have a complete codex entry for it, albeit at a slower pace than scanning manually. This does consume scanner charges, though, so have them stocked. Helios also comes with Deconstructor, which is arguably the strongest sentinel weapon bar none if modded properly, but is exclusive to Helios; no putting it on your Taxon.

Helios' Simaris mod is Detect Vulnerability, which adds a glowing weak spot on an enemy that you can shoot for increased damage.

Finally, there is Dethcube. I suggest this sentinel last because it takes quite a bit longer to make it come to its own without investment or handouts, due to its Simaris mod: Energy Generator, which lets Dethcube drop an energy orb after 10 kill assists (aka tag an enemy before it dies), making certain sentinel weapons like Sweeper effective, especially modded for speed and spread. The rest of Dethcube's skillset isn't anything to write home about, and its survivability is dodgy at best, but in later game it is one of the better sentinels if you use abilities somewhat regularly. Dethcube comes with the Deth Machine Rifle, which is pretty fun but nothing exceptional nowadays.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

prefect posted:

Thanks.

If you're still using the Mk1-Paris then you should probably minimize your outings to the Plains of Eidolon for awhile, because in the daytime those Dargyns will be harrassing you constantly. Do the minimum you have to do to progress your star chart and come back when you have a sniper rifle. The Vulkar is probably the earliest practically available sniper rifle, I think? It shouldn't be long before you can make a Vectis (which is what I currently use for sniping) or a Rubico. Once you've got a long-range weapon that you're comfortable taking Dargyns out of the air with, feel free to roam the Plains during daytime. During nighttime in the Plains, enemies come out which you will not be able to deal the finishing blow to until you're around Uranus in the starchart and unlock "spoiler mode," including a big fuckoff one you should absolutely steer clear of until then.

Also, the game never explicitly tells you, but the Mk1 weapons are separate, weaker versions of their non-Mk1 counterparts. Go ahead and max out your Mk1-Paris's rank to build up mastery, but if you like bows (which can be a lot of fun, especially if you enjoy solo missions), at mastery rank 3 you'll be able to buy a blueprint for the real-no-foolin' Paris from the Market for credits. You'll build most of your weapons for the early to mid game by doing this, or by joining a clan and visiting their dojo to buy blueprints there; very few weapons are available to buy for credits in the Arsenal equip menu.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 18, 2019

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Pooncha posted:

There are a few good sentinels, though some may take a while to come to their own.

You will receive Taxon as your first sentinel. Taxon comes with Artax, a laser pointer that will automatically slow down an enemy hit and point it out to you. Molecular Conversion is also handy for dealing some damage and restoring your shields in the bargain. Overall decent, but Taxon is perhaps the most fragile sentinel you will have. I would recommend switching to another when you can.

Carrier is a solid choice for your second sentinel; on top of being the toughest sentinel of its type (and Carrier Prime is the toughest sentinel, period), it comes with Ammo Case, an ability that expands your maximum ammo capacity and provides delayed ammo conversion. Useful for bullet hoses where ammo is a real concern. Carrier comes with Sweeper, a shotgun that has not much to write home about, but has some niche uses (see Dethcube).

Later, you can get a Simaris mod for the Carrier called Looter: when near a container, it will emit a radial AoE that breaks them, as long as the container is within line of sight.

Alternatively, you can go for Helios. Helios' gimmick is Investigator, a mod that will automatically scan stuff for you as long as you don't have a complete codex entry for it, albeit at a slower pace than it scanning manually. This does consume scanner charges, though, so have them stocked. Helios also comes with Deconstructor, which is arguably the strongest sentinel weapon bar none if modded properly, but is exclusive to Helios; no putting it on your Taxon.

Helios' Simaris mod is Detect Vulnerability, which adds a glowing weak spot on an enemy that you can shoot for increased damage.

Finally, there is Dethcube. I suggest this sentinel last because it takes quite a bit longer to make it come to its own without investment or handouts, due to its Simaris mod: Energy Generator, which lets Dethcube drop an energy orb after 10 kill assists. The rest of Dethcube's skillset isn't anything to write home about, and its survivability is dodgy at best, but in later game it is one of the better sentinels if you use abilities somewhat regularly. Dethcube comes with the Deth Machine Rifle, which is pretty fun but nothing exceptional nowadays.

Went with Helios. I'll probably never scan anything manually.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Sextro posted:

Went with Helios. I'll probably never scan anything manually.

FWIW, you will probably end up manually scanning stuff every now and then, like wild kavats, plants, and Kuria. Helios doesn't scan Kuria and it won't scan anything that has a complete codex entry, even if you can still get something from them (cats and plants). Helios also won't get you Simaris rep either; you have to do that manually, even if you're powering scans with a synthesis scanner.

Edit: vv Ask for mods. They're your main method of power and having them locked behind RNG is bad. Skip the grind.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 18, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sextro posted:

Also is it just me or are shotgun mods really rare? My strun is at 14 mastery and I only have 3 mods for it.

Be in clan, ask people for mods. Yes they're weirdly rare, I think Point Blank is a Spy drop.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

I've decided Harrow is going to be my boi for a while. He was already wrecking poo poo from level 11 or so, but of course there's is a way to wreck even more poo poo, so I'm accepting suggestions for builds and playstyles. So far I've been going with a 3 to give me a little pick me up, 1 so I can get good shielding, 2 so everyone can go into the murderzone - I do a 1 or two so I won't die before going back to shooting - and a 4 if we are getting our poo poo pushed in - Wolf so far.

Still wondering about this

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Seditiar posted:

The bot is really bad when it comes to status duration. None of the statuses really matter other than Corrosive imo, which permanently strips armor anyway regardless of status duration mods.

Sure there's better negatives to have, but it's not a super bad one, as long as it's not -100% duration or worse.

E: If it is -100% or worse, it's definitely a super bad one to have as most statuses will stop working entirely.
Not quite! Slash/bleed is also good. I have a Soma riven with practically the best roll you could possibly get outside of the -status duration. It probably would've gone for at least 3k plat if I had sold it at the time. Now that Hunter Munitions exists, though...

Edit: I should clarify, -status duration still only matters for weapons that could conceivably inflict bleed and/or crit based primaries (which can use Hunter Munitions), so if the bot is marking anything other than those down for -duration it's full of poo poo.

Johnny Joestar posted:

people see things a bit differently if they haven't done certain quests
What do they see?

Lork fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 18, 2019

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Samuringa posted:

Still wondering about this

if we miss your post https://tennoware.com/ is your friend, go to warframes, Harrow and then Community Builds and look at the low forma builds

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Lork posted:

Not quite! Slash/bleed is also good. I have a Soma riven with practically the best roll you could possibly get outside of the -status duration. It probably would've gone for at least 3k plat if I had sold it at the time. Now that Hunter Munitions exists, though...

Edit: I should clarify, -status duration still only matters for weapons that could conceivably inflict bleed and/or crit based primaries (which can use Hunter Munitions), so if the bot is marking anything other than those down for -duration it's full of poo poo.

What do they see?

I had a play about with the bot, and it looks like status duration is considered a reasonably neutral negative on atomos, but it still gives the *this is a terrible modifier* message about it, even though it really isn't.

Prices it about the 300 plat range, so not exactly cash money, but a solid boost to a good side arm.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Lork posted:

What do they see?

Agreed, Bleed is definitely great as well. But yeah Atomos specifically, -duration doesn't do dick really.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Pooncha posted:

FWIW, you will probably end up manually scanning stuff every now and then, like wild kavats, plants, and Kuria.

In particular, you'll encounter various 'named plants' as you progress through the solar system. If you're not terribly pressed, take the time to manually scan them 10-20 times each. They'll come in handy eventually....

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 18, 2019

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I Am Just a Box posted:

If you're still using the Mk1-Paris then you should probably minimize your outings to the Plains of Eidolon for awhile, because in the daytime those Dargyns will be harrassing you constantly. Do the minimum you have to do to progress your star chart and come back when you have a sniper rifle. The Vulkar is probably the earliest practically available sniper rifle, I think? It shouldn't be long before you can make a Vectis (which is what I currently use for sniping) or a Rubico. Once you've got a long-range weapon that you're comfortable taking Dargyns out of the air with, feel free to roam the Plains during daytime. During nighttime in the Plains, enemies come out which you will not be able to deal the finishing blow to until you're around Uranus in the starchart and unlock "spoiler mode," including a big fuckoff one you should absolutely steer clear of until then.

Also, the game never explicitly tells you, but the Mk1 weapons are separate, weaker versions of their non-Mk1 counterparts. Go ahead and max out your Mk1-Paris's rank to build up mastery, but if you like bows (which can be a lot of fun, especially if you enjoy solo missions), at mastery rank 3 you'll be able to buy a blueprint for the real-no-foolin' Paris from the Market for credits. You'll build most of your weapons for the early to mid game by doing this, or by joining a clan and visiting their dojo to buy blueprints there; very few weapons are available to buy for credits in the Arsenal equip menu.

Thanks everybody for all the good info. :tipshat:

(I don't know if I'm just getting old and dumb, but everything in this game confuses me. :corsair:)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

no, the game is just confusing, it's not you

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I wouldn't say you need a sniper rifle to taken on Dargyns. Any non shotgun hitscan weapon will work - your Latos, Lexes, Bratons, Somas and what have you will do just fine.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

prefect posted:

(I don't know if I'm just getting old and dumb, but everything in this game confuses me. :corsair:)

Johnny Joestar posted:

no, the game is just confusing, it's not you

it could be both

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

prefect posted:

Warframe is exceptionally bad at conveying information to the player. Some important information is squirreled away in a corner when it should be plastered in front of you in the tutorial. Some important information you just never get unless you look it up online. I had to have friends teach me basic stuff like "you can bullet jump facing up to get much more vertical distance," and I literally only figured out the other day that Simaris's kinetic siphon traps aren't aimed and fired like every other gear item I use, but just instantly deployed wherever you're facing when you pick them out of the gear menu.

I mean, yes, I'm also dumb for that second one. But the first one is a basic traversal tool and the tutorial only teaches you to use it laterally.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 18, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You should use bows if you have fun using them but since people are dancing around it: assault rifles are just straight-up better, and shotguns are easier to make shine with lower-level mods / low MR weapons. Bows are the sort of thing I would mostly save for tricking out later when you have a few actually-good weapons potato'd and want to screw around and try out new options.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 18, 2019

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
So, uh, Gara is pretty fuckin' strong huh? :stare: I like to check out frames blind before I start reading up on them to see if I can kinda figure their playstyle out but I didn't realize how her 1, 2, and 4 could interact with each other until I watched a video. I'm a fan.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

hamsystem posted:

So, uh, Gara is pretty fuckin' strong huh? :stare: I like to check out frames blind before I start reading up on them to see if I can kinda figure their playstyle out but I didn't realize how her 1, 2, and 4 could interact with each other until I watched a video. I'm a fan.
Gara's strong in the way where it makes you wonder if deep in the bowels of undocumentation, every other frame has secret infinite murder potential. And then when it's not the case you get sad.

But then you can look at a shield with damage value listed in the millions, parkour to the top of a map and make 80 foot tall glass walls, and you stop caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The only time I bring out a bow is when it's required for a Sortie.