Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Phenotype posted:

Hah, I don't really watch anime, so I wasn't aware there was a whole genre of shows revolving around getting dropped into a videogame world. It still feels like a relatively novel idea to me. :)

The specific combination of tropes people call "isekai" is fairly new; there was another and largely different vein of portal fantasy in the 90's that was more female-focused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rand Brittain posted:

The specific combination of tropes people call "isekai" is fairly new; there was another and largely different vein of portal fantasy in the 90's that was more female-focused.
Old isekai: Inuyasha

New isekai: Sword Art Online

Both are poo poo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Konosuba is a pretty decent isekai comedy as well as being a demonstration of extremely powerful abilities being largely neutered by the fact that the people who have those abilities are morons.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
This new story thingy is even worse than the previous all text crap. It's gonna be a year or more before the main story continues if old signs hold true. And even the main story is such a mess I've no idea what was happening there anymore with all the minutiae.

's a goddamn shame, the first book is still very enjoyable to read.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Usually, the problem with isekai stuff these days is that it gets caught up in a power fantasy where the main character's Earth memories or world-hopping somehow make them the best person in the world who either has overpowered stats or manages to break the hell out of the game rules and put all kinds of broken poo poo.

And while perfect warlord Parson certainly seems to fall into that category, to give Erfworld credit, it managed to make that work. The grand strategy scale and the fact that magic's pretty vague on the rules means that Parson himself mostly serves to contribute ideas for other people to execute, so rather than personally dominating battlefields or smashing armies with genius strategies, he's usually just providing Wanda and Jack with an opportunity to turn around an unfavorable battle.

The problem is that Charlie is the classic powergaming rear end in a top hat bad isekai character who spends all his time recreating Earth stuff in the other world and figuring out how to break the rules, on top of being a well-established Erfworlder who's been around for a very long time. And while that sounds at first glance like that could lead to an interesting dynamic with Parson being Charlie's rival and the only one to recognize Charlie's Earth poo poo for what it is, the grand strategy scale ends up working against it there because it puts too much distance between them. So Charlie just gets to pull as much super diolomacy bullshit and mega-magic fuckery as he wants with no real repercussions whatsoever, with Parson incapable of acting as a meaningful check on him, and the only reason the two are even at odds is because Fate says so.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Usually, the problem with isekai stuff these days is that it gets caught up in a power fantasy where the main character's Earth memories or world-hopping somehow make them the best person in the world who either has overpowered stats or manages to break the hell out of the game rules and put all kinds of broken poo poo.

And while perfect warlord Parson certainly seems to fall into that category, to give Erfworld credit, it managed to make that work. The grand strategy scale and the fact that magic's pretty vague on the rules means that Parson himself mostly serves to contribute ideas for other people to execute, so rather than personally dominating battlefields or smashing armies with genius strategies, he's usually just providing Wanda and Jack with an opportunity to turn around an unfavorable battle.

The problem is that Charlie is the classic powergaming rear end in a top hat bad isekai character who spends all his time recreating Earth stuff in the other world and figuring out how to break the rules, on top of being a well-established Erfworlder who's been around for a very long time. And while that sounds at first glance like that could lead to an interesting dynamic with Parson being Charlie's rival and the only one to recognize Charlie's Earth poo poo for what it is, the grand strategy scale ends up working against it there because it puts too much distance between them. So Charlie just gets to pull as much super diolomacy bullshit and mega-magic fuckery as he wants with no real repercussions whatsoever, with Parson incapable of acting as a meaningful check on him, and the only reason the two are even at odds is because Fate says so.
There's so much promise. I mentioned earlier that there's a seed of a really cool plot with the growing contrasts between Charlie and Stanley. Stanley's an egotistical moron, but he's slowly learning to come around to treating his units like people. He's actually putting in the effort to remember the names of random servant trolls, and (unwillingly at first) reaches out to and bonds with just about the biggest group of undesirables on Erf. Meanwhile, Charlie Manson's over here leading with a cult of personality and treats his units like dolls, and every time someone breaks free of that grip, or he has to adapt in a way counter to that, it supremely screws with him. They make incredible foils for each other, and we're never going to see anything come of it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

One thing that I liked about early erfworld, was that you had this little one off bit where parson gets drunk and goes out and explored how falling mechanics work, and how they interact with fly mounts and also him being a heavy unit. This was a little adventure entirely consisting of characters we already knew, and the information gained later proved relevant, as a major part of parson's opening attack on Jetson capital. This little side diversion was neat and somewhat relevant in its own right, and also later the main story tied back into it in an interesting way.

Now 20 different sides are being introduced with little stories about characters we've never seen before, and I don't know what would be worse: that all this new information is relevant to the upcoming story and the whole thing is going to be a convoluted mess concerning 300 individual actors, or if none of it is relevant and the whole prologue is just entirely skippable and a waste of time.

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

He only got through a couple of them before the supposedly short introductions started getting bogged down in a need to show every event from every character's perspective, explain the backstory and reasoning behind every action anyone takes, explain the full rules behind every new thing that gets introduced, and so on. The current one has been going on for months, due to things like spending an entire page explaining the rules and mechanics of a particular flavor of feral scouting unit.
He did one and then decided to roll the next one into a backer's story a la Lord Crush and Duke Forecastle.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

After all that, we finally start hooking back into the main plot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And yet, my eyes still glaze over.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
After a month with nothing, an update! TL,DR: Some crisis means that Erfworld isn’t update for the foreseeable future, but they’re still going all in on replacing artists with 3D models, and they’re going to do a bunch of mini kickstarters to replace the funds they got from actually doing things.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Since we last talked, this webcomic has gone through so many permutations. First, we reimagined the whole webcomic as blocks of text with a single picture at the end. Then we realized it was actually more of a series of pinup illustrations, but that didn't feel right either. We thought, is it a bunch of plush dolls? A procedural city generating engine? A crypto mining operation that if you turn it upside down, it's a gem?

No, it's none of those things. That's why we finally settled on this.

Voila! Erfworld is a bimonthly deck of tarot cards.

I know, it's confusing. Not the bimonthly that means twice a month, the bimonthly that means every other month, and each time it's a different deck.

This is the future of webcomics.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is like "goon in a well" on a massive scale.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

While I can appreciate them having another crisis that needs urgent attention, just ell oh ell that it might require putting the webcomic on hiatus for the rest of the year. I've not clicked the bookmark I have for it in about 2 months now, I think I'll just delete it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

this is a really bad crisis! it's worse than cancer! can't talk about it, but i can talk over and over about how bad it is!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I can sympathize with having bad poo poo happen and needing to put everything on hold, but their plan B for making money is selling limited edition 3D model site profile badges that are numbered based on how much money you spend? And they're expecting to make $5k from Sizemore's shovel, which looks exactly like a normal everyday shovel? I see Rob's famous business sense is on full display.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 15, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm more concerned about how they don't show any of the 3D-modeled characters, presumably because they know how bad they're going to look compared to the drawn ones.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

this is a really bad crisis! it's worse than cancer! can't talk about it, but i can talk over and over about how bad it is!
It could be legal trouble, in which case, they really can't talk about it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

It could be legal trouble, in which case, they really can't talk about it.

I wonder what the legal trouble could be if that's it. Not fulfilling backer pledges, maybe unauthorized mining?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Have to say, it's kind of liberating to know that vague references to vague problems with vague loved ones is all it takes to not actually do your job.

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 16, 2019

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It seems pretty reasonable to say "family emergency is taking up my time right now, can't talk about the details because I'm not the one directly affected".

Especially in comparison to "our main revenue stream is now selling tiny pictures of shovels, and this will work because we're only selling 100 of them".

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Donkringel posted:

I wonder what the legal trouble could be if that's it. Not fulfilling backer pledges, maybe unauthorized mining?

Let's count the red flags:

Foray into cryptocurrency to turn other people's electricity into money (why not donations? Why make a game of it that is eerily reminiscent of games that target teenagers and gamblers?). This can plausibly be used to launder money.

Uses company scrip, schmuckers, as store credit, earnable through regular donation or as some sort of microtipping thing in the pattern Libertarians seem to like. Seems like a tax accounting nightmare, at best. At worst, a way to hide revenue or exchange of value.

Balder promised comics, but presented illuminated short stories in image form only (this makes the written material utterly inaccessible to the blind and presents a possible avenue for someone to claim discrimination against the disabled, as unlikely as that may be). The appeal of only presenting stories in image format is it saves on possible formatting issues and simplifies workflow. And also means he can claim he presented a comic-sized image, reducing liability from Tools claiming, "The update wasn't really a comic was it?"

Had an elaborate custom written website and community management platform made, and a custom written shop and donator rewards management system, and also a custom permatweet system. Also put a bunch of weird cheap crap in the shop instead of, you know, keeping the books in print. Employed his girlfriend and then later wife to run all the shop stuff. Did not plan well for moving stock from one warehouse to another (liquidation would have been appropriate, or failing that hiring a local at the existing warehouse to handle shipping out orders while Linda was in treatment for cancer). Pretty much a clear case of being eaten alive by sunk costs and an aversion to downsizing staff (I like Red but his job can be replaced by a subscription to a few off the shelf services by competent companies). All this custom stuff presents possible "attack surfaces" for contract disputes, depending on how clever Balder was with his contracts.

Comic workflow includes "programmer art" mock-ups by Balder, instead of just trusting his amazing artist from the fan community Xin (who it should be noted replaced Noguchi after he and Balder finished the tightly written and superior product of Erfworld Book 1). Eventually overwhelmed, she leaves for a time and art is left in a professional's hands, until he eventually leaves too for unspoken reasons. Xin returns with the stipulation that the work be split between her and a colorist. Said colorist is now leaving, after Balder decided he can do all the coloring in a 3D program that he is learning this year. No idea what implications all of this has for contracts again, but the high turnover and downright weird solution of training Balder to be a 3D artist should be raising eyebrows from paying patrons at least.

Balder threw a fit about a year ago, exposing himself as a gigantic primadonna. That rant stands, on Reddit and in a quote in this thread. It was extraordinary in its unprofessionalism.

Apparently Balder can't telecommute because he actually paid for Red, the redundant website guy, to move out near him, before Balder and Linda moved to another state for healthcare reasons. Not sure what to make of all that, the healthcare part at least makes sense...

Erfworld has a fanbase that often sounds like abused spouses, always apologizing and deflecting for the extremely real shortcomings that outsiders point out about Balder. From an outsider's perspective that makes rational people start to think things like, "maybe I should tell the FTC there's something weird going on with these Erfworld people."

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 15, 2019

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It seems pretty reasonable to say "family emergency is taking up my time right now, can't talk about the details because I'm not the one directly affected".

BRB, going to have a chat with my boss. Will let you know how it goes.

Edit: got fired :(

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 16, 2019

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I kinda sorta understand why B wants to make 3D models. His artist turnover is too great to create a consistent product and it must be frustrating to write a lot more stuff than can be drawn.

But hesucristo, this is such a silly way of conducting business. He should write a GRRM style book series or something instead of turning to 3D modeling. Sunk cost, indeed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Artist turnover is too great because he's a primadonna and a perfectionist.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Artist turnover is too great because he's a primadonna and a perfectionist.

I don't think any of them have ever said so. It's possible they just left because there's not enough money in it for them to follow somebody else's dreams.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

someone posted on the erfworld subreddit something I hadn’t really considered before, but which explains a lot of balder’s strange behavior

quote:

Rob's reach has always seemed to exceed his grasp; everything about erfworld always screamed "putting the cart before the horse". How much merch has there been that no one really asked for? There were plushies from pretty close to day 1, sets of playing cards, an abc book, and likely more I'm forgetting. This was in addition to printed books, shirts, calendars, and all the normal stuff that comes with any property.

Rob chose to attempt SO many side projects absolutely unrelated to the comic - a motion comic, a board game, a tabletop rpg, a complex site with a ton of unnecessary custom features, a seemingly custom webstore, a custom subscription platform, a custom CRM to distribute fan-only content, fan parties, a meme generator, a repository of fan works, and on and on.
Rob does have a passion, but it's always been diffuse. Where most creators focus on a story or work they want to tell as their passion, from day 1 it seems like rob has been talking about his big plans for erfworld, and his passion was erfworld as a business. It was never JUST about telling a story, it was about building a brand and an empire. And on the one hand, more power to ya Rob, but on the other hand, it's shocking to me how often in the comic's history Rob failed to adhere to a schedule he decided on because he committed himself to something far larger than was feasible to manage with the resources and fanbase he had.

Rob wanted to create the Erfworld Expanded Universe. that’s why so much of the recent comic reads less like a story told through characters and more like a series of Wikipedia pages on game rules, in-game organizations, their leadership and secret plans and so on. he never really wanted to tell a story, he wanted to create a media universe.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I never put that together before but it really is Dozerfleet for the Kickstarter era.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I think the success of Order of the Stick's Kickstarter was a huge influence on Rob's dependence on crowdfunding. Rich Burlew got over a million dollars to reprint some of his older books and he has never used crowdfunding since, even though he could easily make money on Patreon if he could churn out more content (which likely isn't possible due to his health issues). Rob can't do anything without begging the fans for money first, which has become a crutch as it allows him to make risky/unwise moves, as he knows that he always can ask for more.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Nice that this comic I stopped reading a year ago can still entertain in other ways.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Zoe posted:

Nice that this comic I stopped reading a year ago can still entertain in other ways.

I feel kind of bad about it, but this is my position too. Virtual shovel model collectibles!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, I just read the long version, and it honestly seems kind of odd that he's not considering moving forward on Erfworld without art. Webnovels are a much harder sell than webcomics, but they do exist.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Literal shovelware! They're selling literal shovelware! How is this not an extended performance art piece.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, I just read the long version, and it honestly seems kind of odd that he's not considering moving forward on Erfworld without art. Webnovels are a much harder sell than webcomics, but they do exist.

Honestly I enjoyed the writing with the art pieces. Sure it slowed things down because it's easier to fit purple prose and tangents that panels couldn't show, but I thought they were quality.

Do mwf updates with writing and black and white sketches, then maybe a Sunday or monthly update full panel and color. Take two months off to create a buffer and trim down on all this random stuff.

Out of curiosity, what so the comments from the tool folks look like right now?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Two powergamers broke the game so badly the entire webcomic crashed.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Hob_Gadling posted:

I kinda sorta understand why B wants to make 3D models. His artist turnover is too great to create a consistent product and it must be frustrating to write a lot more stuff than can be drawn.
Does he actually get that much writing done? It always strikes me that a pattern of delays over multiple artists implies more than just the artists are delaying production. And Erfworld has seen consistent delays with everyone, always, even when it is supposed to have buffers in place.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
I would be very surprised if the hold up in production were anything but Balder's fault either. Slow writing or micromanaging the artists amounts to the same missed deadlines. Not that they are particularly strict deadlines anyway, if you look at all the wiggle room Balder wrote into the Toolbox definition of when a comic is delivered on time.

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I was so sure Generica Online was going to be the title of some new web thing they were developing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I guess I must have punched my email into their site once for some reason, because today I got an email they sent out to their entire site userbase to beg for more Kickstarter backers!

quote:

The Arkenhammer must squeak in

21/100 Arkenhammers left. 72% funded with 2 hours to go. Yyyyyikes 😬💦

Stretch goal for this project is: if we hit our base project goal, I'll never do a 24-hour Kickstarter again. We were trying to save time for actual Erfworld and life-crisis work, but I guess there's a lower limit on how easy we can make these.

Project is at http://bit.ly/2wg87iF If it fails to fund, we'll turn around and run it again with a longer timeline, but it would make our lives easier if we didn't have to do that.

As a bonus for reading this email, here's a progress shot from the modeling team. Brendon modeled all of this just yesterday:

[screenshot of some random square building, half in shadow, with zero distinguishing marks]

They're doing outstanding work every day. Please help me pay them.

- Rob

gently caress this poo poo. The part that frustrates me the most is the whining, all the little snippy bits about how inconvenient running these fundraising campaigns is and how he'd really love for us to make his life easier by chipping in more cash. He's raised $11k in ten days by selling digital profile badges on Kickstarter, he doesn't get to loving whine about how it's taking up too much of his time or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I lost interest in this comic(?) years ago, but the behind-the-scenes grifting is fascinating.