Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't really care about geographical consistency, although it can sometimes be jarring if a character moves a long way between scenes without much of a transition (eg Dany moving all the way from Winterfell to Dragonstone in The Last of the Starks). Blackwater is an excellent episode of television and its conclusion feels very earned to me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah the episode rules. just sucks that doing dumb poo poo seems to mostly only cause the less evil side side/characters to suffer.

(also grrm's fault for making a map. he didn't need to include that in the book.)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

All Rob had to do was not let Theon go to the Iron Islands

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
All Jon had to do was gently caress his aunt

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bobjr posted:

All Rob had to do was not let Theon go to the Iron Islands

or marry a frey. edmure even ended up with a cute one.

the best part of rewatching the show is being able to skip all the bran bullshit.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

tv reviewers really are worse than video game reviewers lol, like its hilarious but its true

Just a reminder that the Bad Pussy episode won the Emmy for best writing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Groovelord Neato posted:

the best part of rewatching the show is being able to skip all the bran bullshit.

The best part about the books too

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The show even does it for you by cutting his story for a whole year.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

or marry a frey. edmure even ended up with a cute one.

I feel like the fact he rejected Roslyn pissed Walder off even more

"I'm offering you like the best genetic role this family has ever got, and you are still going to shun me?!"

The show makes it worse because Talisa is just some foreign commoner, where as at least in the books the Westerlings at least are minor nobility.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
i can't remember was robb even trying to become the king of the seven kingdoms or were they just rebelling and wanting independence

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Book Robb might not be a smart but there he got injured and learned Bran/Rickon were killed and did a dumb move out of grief, and made the dumb Ned move of marrying her because of honor. Show Robb just was all in on thinking with his dick

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah the show makes robb way dumber.

Stefan Prodan posted:

i can't remember was robb even trying to become the king of the seven kingdoms or were they just rebelling and wanting independence

wanted an independent north.

wildest part in my rewatch is realizing the slave master that talked mad poo poo about daenerys not knowing she spoke valyrian was tim driscoll from deadwood.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The weirdest thing to me about Ros is she got cast on a fantasy tv show full of gorgeous people and got stuck dressing like the old time fuddy duddy she was. I kept expecting magicians to nod to her GOT roots with Penny but nope

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah the show makes robb way dumber.

wanted an independent north.

wildest part in my rewatch is realizing the slave master that talked mad poo poo about daenerys not knowing she spoke valyrian was tim driscoll from deadwood.

it was wild to me to realize that the guy that bullock is hanging in the opening scene of deadwood was Dewey Crowe on Justified

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I was just thinking about who could get the Throne tomorrow and it stuck me how stupid it was for Dany to make Gendry Lord of Storm's End. She legitimised him as Robert's son...which means he also has a claim to the Iron throne, a stronger claim than either Jon or Dany really since Robert booted them out and at the time they still hadn't taken the south. And while Robert was a pretty poo poo king, he was poo poo in a way that only the movers and shakers in the the kingdom knew about. For everyone else he overthrew the mad king, put down the Iron isle's revolt, and was otherwise pretty chill and threw lots of parties, and everything went to poo poo after he died. A lot of people would likely be quite keen on having his heir take the throne, especially after Dany just committed the greatest warcrime in history. He's also a minor hero at this point, having gone beyond the wall, was directly responsible for getting Dany to save Jon and co, and fought at Winterfell against the dead.

For someone who is so worried about Jon's claim it's a pretty strange move.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Darkrenown posted:

I was just thinking about who could get the Throne tomorrow and it stuck me how stupid it was for Dany to make Gendry Lord of Storm's End. She legitimised him as Robert's son...which means he also has a claim to the Iron throne, a stronger claim than either Jon or Dany really since Robert booted them out and at the time they still hadn't taken the south. And while Robert was a pretty poo poo king, he was poo poo in a way that only the movers and shakers in the the kingdom knew about. For everyone else he overthrew the mad king, put down the Iron isle's revolt, and was otherwise pretty chill and threw lots of parties, and everything went to poo poo after he died. A lot of people would likely be quite keen on having his heir take the throne, especially after Dany just committed the greatest warcrime in history. He's also a minor hero at this point, having gone beyond the wall, was directly responsible for getting Dany to save Jon and co, and fought at Winterfell against the dead.

She should have ganked him and Jon the same night. Absolutely no purpose to letting them survive the battle, and the undead even give a plausible excuse.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Darkrenown posted:

The way it it was written it was to secure a Stormlands that will always be loyal to the Targ crown, which Dany did on her own and admittedly isn't a bad idea: Gendry owes her both his new life and his new title, and he is a lot less likely to pursue his claim against her.

It reminded me of savvy Dany from early on where she convinced Merreen's slaves to turn against the Masters with a single duel and a grand gesture, or her outwitting the Astapor Unsullied guy or seizing the leadership of the Dothraki

The way they write Dany in the later seasons is so god drat dumb because they act like she needs her advisors to keep her in line because she is prone to rash acts and isn't good at politics without them, when the results prove that her bold but more often harsh strategy loving works every time (which again is just bad writing)

Like we never see a time where her not listening to Tyrion or Varys had any bad consequences so she trusts them because of that, where as we see any number of fuckups they directly cause.

Dany was not a moron without Tyrion, and she had far more success at least in the show without him than with him

Edit: I guess thinking about it Barristan dying was somewhat a Dany fuckup, but really not even.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 19, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Gendry also isn't exactly the type to rise up against Dany either.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Now I want a Raylan Givens in Westeros crossover show.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

bobjr posted:

Neither is Jon.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I don't think theres anybody left that has not betrayed Danys,

even Davos helped the infiltration of jaime to rescue cersei from herself

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Is it any wonder? Every alliance she made in Westeros was built on hatred for the Lannisters (High Garden and Dorne) or a desperate need to stave off the literal embodiment of death (The North).

Not a single person* house joined her cause because of her appeal as a ruler.

*I'll give you Varys and Tyrion. But Tyrion's been drinking mercury, and Varys aired his doubts and got killed for it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

tooterfish posted:

Is it any wonder? Every alliance she made in Westeros was built on hatred for the Lannisters (High Garden and Dorne) or a desperate need to stave off the literal embodiment of death (The North).

Not a single person* house joined her cause because of her appeal as a ruler.

*I'll give you Varys and Tyrion. But Tyrion's been drinking mercury, and Varys aired his doubts and got killed for it.

Dorne also ended up doing jack poo poo the entire war; you guys could march up through the empty Stormlands or the Reach, but nope don't worry, that big untouched army is just waiting on Yara's fleet; any day now! :downs:

I like to think the entire Martell army and Arianne and Darkstar are just chilling in Sunspear, waiting months looking at the docks for that fleet to arrive

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

bobjr posted:

and learned Bran/Rickon were killed

This reminds me of another idiotic, nonsensical change the show made: having Catelyn release Jaime before learning of her sons' 'deaths.'

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

What was Varys' plan in the first place? There's no Blackfyre to secretly support, was he really supporting loving Viserys early on?

I guess you could ask the same about Littlefinger. He had no clue what to do since the instant his book material ended. We never learned his endgame because there never was one.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Elman posted:

What was Varys' plan in the first place? There's no Blackfyre to secretly support, was he really supporting loving Viserys early on?

I guess you could ask the same about Littlefinger. He had no clue what to do since the instant his book material ended. We never learned his endgame because there never was one.

Littlefinger was going to have potentially 3 Kingdoms under his thumb and probably let the Lannisters destroy themselves and Dany and Aegon duke it out, and he plays both sides.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Elman posted:

He just wanted to gently caress most eligible lady stark.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bip Roberts posted:

Oh so that's who show euron is based on

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah the episode rules. just sucks that doing dumb poo poo seems to mostly only cause the less evil side side/characters to suffer.

(also grrm's fault for making a map. he didn't need to include that in the book.)

It's probably because Neil Marshall directed Battle of Blackwater and did pretty well with the limited budget.

Plus the overall flow of the battle makes sense especially from a strategy point of view.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Littlefinger was going to have potentially 3 Kingdoms under his thumb and probably let the Lannisters destroy themselves and Dany and Aegon duke it out, and he plays both sides.

Yeah but in the show he fucks it up by giving Sansa away to a Lannister ally and then sitting on his rear end for 3 seasons.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Bip Roberts posted:

That reminds me, a friend of mine got invited to an actors' bar in London as a +1 and ended up doing exactly that.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Captain Splendid posted:

That reminds me, a friend of mine got invited to an actors' bar in London as a +1 and ended up doing exactly that.

Sophie Turner? Noice

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

bobjr posted:

As someone else already said, neither is Jon, but she is upset about his claim becoming known and worried about people supporting him over her. The same should be true for Gendry since he's the natural choice now for anyone who: Doesn't want a Targ back, liked Robert's reign, wants a puppet-king, or just supports the "rightful" heir. But not only is she not at all worried about people supporting him, she opening proclaims him as Robert's son in front of everyone in Winterfell.

E: gently caress, it really doesn't make him have a claim, it should really make Gendry the king by default. He's now Robert's eldest living legitimate son, Cersai is just some king of regent of "Robert's" kids since that's still the official position AFAIK.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 19, 2019

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Just Chamber posted:

Sophie Turner? Noice

No, no, the other Lady Stark.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Michelle Fairley?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stefan Prodan posted:

They were just trying to save his dad and then get revenge. "King of the north" was just a consequence of that.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Darkrenown posted:

As someone else already said, neither is Jon, but she is upset about his claim becoming known and worried about people supporting him over her. The same should be true for Gendry since he's the natural choice now for anyone who: Doesn't want a Targ back, liked Robert's reign, wants a puppet-king, or just supports the "rightful" heir. But not only is she not at all worried about people supporting him, she opening proclaims him as Robert's son in front of everyone in Winterfell.

I think before she goes full maniac, Gendry isnt a threat to her and she knows it. He might be a legitimised bastard but he's still a bastard in the eyes of everyone and in Westeros that has some very negative connotations, he has zero noble background, was merely a blacksmith etc and he's the son of Robert who I think a lot of the major houses disliked.

As opposed to Dany who literally saved the Kingdom, has essentially destroyed the lannisters, (perhaps the most hated House in Westeros), is a legit heir to a throne usurped due to madness of one King and not because the Targaryens were ever hated as there were quite a lot of houses fond of them, many of them were beloved by everyone. Ofc anyone with some claim is dangerous, but I think she believes no one with any sort of power would ever get behind him and she's likely right. He's an island on his own and owes her everything.

In that sense Jon really is the only likely threat to her as he is both a Targ and saved everyone and has many many people already supporting him, he's managed to shed the stain of being a bastard in most people's eyes. I think now that she's full crazy people will be clamoring for alternatives and Gendry is definetly the next in line of Jon refuses the throne and it would be amazing if she straight up kills him next episode after she realises.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 19, 2019

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Darkrenown posted:

E: gently caress, it really doesn't make him have a claim, it should really make Gendry the king by default. He's now Robert's eldest living legitimate son, Cersai is just some king of regent of "Robert's" kids since that's still the official position AFAIK.

If you're being legalistic like that, I don't think it does. Gendry is only legitimate if Dany is the legitimate queen, but if she's the legitimate queen that means Robert's children don't have a claim (except an indirect one as distant Targ relations).

Jon's different because he's a Targ with a superior claim. If Dany's crown is legitimate, he should actually be the king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Darkrenown posted:

Michelle Fairley?

Bran