Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I dont think you're disruptive enough

Disrupting the integrity of the bones in your foot with a dropped object, then disrupting your employment status for getting hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Feinne posted:

Disrupting the integrity of the bones in your foot with a dropped object, then disrupting your employment status for getting hurt.

Move fast, break stuff

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Move fast, break stuff

Musk probably picked up Theranos' fake woo machines on the cheap after they went under so he can force Tesla workers to go to an untrained, unpaid intern working one of those as their healthcare plan.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Someday all headlines will be like this (there is no article btw)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/RickKing16/status/1129956849405579264

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

School "reform" is such a crappy issue because pretty much everyone has spent a lot of time in classrooms, so they think they have an idea about what to do to "fix" education in America. For some reason they never end up on less racism (including ending local school funding) and more money for teachers, food for the students and supplies. Funny that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everyone talks about putting tablets and computers and robots in classrooms to save on teachers, and then when you look at the schools rich people send their kids to, oh hey they get rid of all that poo poo at the first opportunity and the teachers are paid to pay attention.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Everyone talks about putting tablets and computers and robots in classrooms to save on teachers, and then when you look at the schools rich people send their kids to, oh hey they get rid of all that poo poo at the first opportunity and the teachers are paid to pay attention.

And yet those schools for rich kids usually perform on par or worse than normal public schools, once you apply proper accounting for thing like "all children at this school are rich" and "rich kid school students all get much more opportunity for learning".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/holly/status/1130067626363838464

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MickeyFinn posted:

School "reform" is such a crappy issue because pretty much everyone has spent a lot of time in classrooms, so they think they have an idea about what to do to "fix" education in America. For some reason they never end up on less racism (including ending local school funding) and more money for teachers, food for the students and supplies. Funny that.

Dumb middle management tricks in public education (sure, this new form to fill every week should solve everything) always have that "trying to copy Finland" excuse (probably hoping no one will actually look it up) when the Finnish solution is just more teachers focusing on fewer students at a time for more money. Imagine that

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1130102446750150656

(thread)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
/\/\/\/\/\
loving beautiful

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

And yet those schools for rich kids usually perform on par or worse than normal public schools, once you apply proper accounting for thing like "all children at this school are rich" and "rich kid school students all get much more opportunity for learning".

Is it that the school is less effective, or is it all rich kids are stupid lazy fucks?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

Dumb middle management tricks in public education (sure, this new form to fill every week should solve everything) always have that "trying to copy Finland" excuse (probably hoping no one will actually look it up) when the Finnish solution is just more teachers focusing on fewer students at a time for more money. Imagine that

Don't worry it's getting worse in Finland too

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ryonguy posted:

/\/\/\/\/\
loving beautiful

Is it that the school is less effective, or is it all rich kids are stupid lazy fucks?

How well could you teach a student whose parent could have you fired for giving them a bad grade or disciplining them?

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

ryonguy posted:

/\/\/\/\/\
loving beautiful

I believe it is simply the things random rich people demand their special schools do to be "different" from the regular public school, has no correlate to what is good for teaching. When you think about it, it is obvious that an otherwise well paid and trained teacher in a public school can do plenty to teach kids well with tablets and laptops, while a teacher at fancy school for techbro kids that demands minimal technology? That teacher is being hamstrung to no good reasons. Some magazine said it was the new secret tip for learning success so now the school has to do it.

Then see also how many private schools cost a lot of money to go to, but the school is straight only interested in spending the minimum to look like it is good, while the teaching staff gets minimum pay and constantly harassed by the management to save money for their yacht. The school may even be one that teaches only "Christian approved" or other such thing which is guarentee of bad education.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

While from one angle this will be used to cut school funding, ultimately we will need far more effective teaching at a much larger scale than what current teaching by other people can offer to keep people up to speed with the rate of change, to educate people en-mass to use new tech and switch industries as their old ones die (thats going to affect too any people for there to enough other people to teach them), and if technological progress continues to accelerate the same way, both of those trends will require technological solutions to education as peoples teaching abilities get left behind.
Were outstripping our own ability and capacity to do the most effective teaching for our further benefit and machines have to fill the gap.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Surprise Giraffe posted:

While from one angle this will be used to cut school funding, ultimately we will need far more effective teaching at a much larger scale than what current teaching by other people can offer to keep people up to speed with the rate of change, to educate people en-mass to use new tech and switch industries as their old ones die (thats going to affect too any people for there to enough other people to teach them), and if technological progress continues to accelerate the same way, both of those trends will require technological solutions to education as peoples teaching abilities get left behind.
Were outstripping our own ability and capacity to do the most effective teaching for our further benefit and machines have to fill the gap.

that or we can just employ more people as educators

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
^^^^ What a boring idea! ^^^^

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Yes, this social problem (that people must work in an increasingly unstable and under paying job market) will be solved by some new, as-yet-undiscovered technology that will totally change the way human beings learn, as well as wiping out the racism and classism and other deeply problematic features of the modern working world that are fundamentally intertwined with society itself. I propose a different solution than techno-utopian fantasies: not requiring people to work in order to live. There, all of the problems with how slow people learn have been solved. No new technologies were needed. We also didn't need the rich "philanthropist" with a primarily self-serving view on social progress either.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Tech is the light and the way

Only the algorithm will save you

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Fixing poor schools is simple in theory and complex in practice. It starts with more, better paid teachers. Free breakfast, lunch and snacks. After school programs. Good facilities. Less emphasis on sports.

None of these things are popular when they are being "given to those people when OUR taxes should fund OUR schools".

loving racist rear end, FYGM NIMBYs won't let anything good happen. So we get prison-style for profit companies being paid to effectively segregate poor students and teach them the antebellum period was an idyllic time for their ancestors.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Homeshare leaves wreckage behind.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Trabisnikof posted:

that or we can just employ more people as educators

We gotta do both. I mean, if tech can improve education, why wouldn't you develop and use it? Social-and-psychological-science-derived techniques are obviously going to come in useful too.

Tech is probably the easiest thing to harness though, as always, because it's easier than people, and people are the only other option.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 19, 2019

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Surprise Giraffe posted:

We gotta do both. I mean, if tech can improve education, why wouldn't you develop and use it? Social-and-psychological-science-derived techniques are obviously going to come in useful too.

Tech is probably the easiest thing to harness though, as always, because it's easier than people, and people are the only other option.

Because "improve" is a value-ladened concept and what's an improvement to a technologist is rarely an improvement to the child or to society.

The idea that "tech is easier than people" is exactly the kind of wrongheadedness that leads to these failures.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Trabisnikof posted:

Because "improve" is a value-ladened concept and what's an improvement to a technologist is rarely an improvement to the child or to society.

The idea that "tech is easier than people" is exactly the kind of wrongheadedness that leads to these failures.

I mean if you're just a luddite I guess there's nothing to talk about, but I'd be suprised if you're genuinely willing to tackle something as entrenched as the political and cultural problems you need to surmount to improve education via the people route, when the people you need leverage over to do so are the same set as the ones running the tech firms. Seems like the tech people will probably reach the finish line first no matter what you do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I mean if you're just a luddite I guess there's nothing to talk about, but I'd be suprised if you're genuinely willing to tackle something as entrenched as the political and cultural problems you need to surmount to improve education via the people route, when the people you need leverage over to do so are the same set as the ones running the tech firms. Seems like the tech people will probably reach the finish line first no matter what you do.

You're missing the point. Your premise that "tech is easier than people" in education ignores that education is of course entirely people centric. So what you're really saying is if you decouple your metrics of success from reality why then you can make the technology succeed real quick!

Now your new point that "well bill gates holds all the cards" isn't relevant to the question of if his "improvements" are going to be good for kids and society or good for Bill Gates and his PR.

And throwing out "luddite" is of course the go-to insult for anyone who dares to question the metrics of technological success, but you're only fooling yourself if that's the best response you have to the idea that tech isn't the solution to most social problems.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Have to wonder how the dollar amount you save in not hiring teachers compares to the extra suffering endured in sweatshops and conflict mineral areas to get that additional technology manufactured. But who cares about those kids, they're poor and overseas.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

this is the best loving thing ever

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Surprise Giraffe posted:

The tech people you want so desperately to save you are not going to solve political and cultural problems, lol

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

The tech people you want to solve the world's social and political problems cannot solve them because they are part of the problem of a business world elite and a real solution requires them giving up merely some of the advantages they have accrued. In fact, they helped create, promulgate and lavishly fund an entire system of thought about how to "do well while doing good" that involves win-win fantasies where they are the good guys fighting governments and last century's social/political organizations (such as unions) to improve the welfare of all while making a profit.

Luddites are famed for opposing mechanization because it would put workers out of jobs. Everyone in this thread, so far, is saying that technology will not solve the problems you claim it will. So it really seems like your use of "luddite" is an ignorant attempt at a burn, rather than engaging with the discussion at hand.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A bit of levity on a Sunday

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

We have been promised that tech would improve education at least since the invention of television sets. So far, it's turned out that teaching does not scale, and that study at home, on your own, with video is only practical for a limited subset of learners. Also that automating multiple-choice questions does not make them any better for fostering knowledge.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
IIRC luddites weren't anti-tech so much as they wanted the advances in technology to lead to better pay/treatment/etc. for workers. Technology made industries more productive but all the savings and profits went to the top.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

We’ll never know. Being a STEMlord leaves no time for history :reject:

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Ruffian Price posted:

Also, having all* teachers do a master's degree in education is probably a contributing factor.

But at the same time,

Andrast posted:

Don't worry it's getting worse in Finland too

*) for certain values of "all".

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I sacrificed a position as the VP in what is now the largest video game company in the world in a quixotic attempt to launch a company to deliver an interactive curriculum to schools that would make a difference.

In Feb. 2000 the company I help launch went public with a market cap of close to $1B. Then the eHoles in the dot-com's crashed the market a month later. I was holding 144 restricted shares and not willing to do a "Martha Stewart" stuck to the letter of the law and didn't option them off etc.

This pretty much precipitated the end of my 20-year marriage, the forced sale of a house in Cardiff by the Sea and pretty much all the wealth I had accumulated in (by then) 20 years of video games.

Then I went into mobile games :-)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

I sacrificed a position as the VP in what is now the largest video game company in the world

Then I went into mobile games :-)

So in other words, both of your parallel realities end in loot boxes. Beautiful. :v:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

there's no proof that tech can improve education, when access itself is a proxy for access to resources, which is the more important thing

who is giving all these computers to poor schools? why can't they just give the poor schools money to improve teacher retention?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

luxury handset posted:

there's no proof that tech can improve education, when access itself is a proxy for access to resources, which is the more important thing

who is giving all these computers to poor schools?

agreed.

luxury handset posted:

why can't they just give the poor schools money to improve teacher retention?

they hate workers, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Feinne posted:

Lol remember that they don't have anything in their factory painted yellow because Musk hates yellow.

Yellow is of course how the rest of the world marks things like lanes for fork trucks and dangerous machinery.

Oh, another fun fact: Teslas have black seat belt release buttons - you know, the things that are bright orange so you can spot them in an emergency like if your car is sinking into a lake. The reason is, the EU demands this simple, painless safety concession; the US does not. Every other car maker sells cars worldwide so they just source one orange button for all their vehicles, regardless of their destination. Teslas are not sold in the EU, so Musk went with the "classy" all-black seat belt release button.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 20, 2019