Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YaketySass posted:

What's the deal with Miranda?

Hey kid, do you like hip-hop? Hey kid, do you wanna buy my mixtape of a hip hop musical about how woke slaveowners are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

feedmyleg posted:

I think lobotomies are the one subject that make me too squeamish to be able to watch a movie about them. It's just the most horrific thing I can imagine and is deeply unsettling. I can't even watch that trailer.

Those little black eye bruises make me queasy by implication

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Krankenstyle posted:

an arc of curb that is cringeworthy you say?

I love Curb, but it's incredibly cringeworthy. Even for it. It's like a whole season of the best friend speech-off between Kristen Wiig and Rose Byrne in Bridesmaids.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bogus Adventure posted:

I love Curb, but it's incredibly cringeworthy. Even for it. It's like a whole season of the best friend speech-off between Kristen Wiig and Rose Byrne in Bridesmaids.

im just saying its supposed to be cringy. tbh i was drunk when i watched it, the whole 5-10 hrs, and i dont remember any of it

unless its the one where hes in civil war reenactment with an afghan war veteran having ptsd flashbacks, i remember those parts

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Curb is perfection. Don’t you ever try to smear it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I love Curb, but some seasons shine brighter than others. Specifically, the Seinfeld Reunion season. That one stands above all others.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

big fan of the b plots, theyre the meat you know

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Catching up with the thread after a few weeks away and that beat maker movie set in Chicago with Anthony Anderson looks amazing to me.

Hustle and Flow, 8 Mile, Patti Cakes, why is it that rappers trying to make it movies are so much better than their equivalent rockstar movies?

Focusing on one character? The blue collar/lower class struggle? Seeing the characters actually make the music? Skipping the boring rockstar cliches? My fav rappers still vent about their problems, maybe thats just a better source for this stuff.

And speaking of rappers, that Awkwinna trailer actually made me tear up. Never thought Id say that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'd put Almost Famous and Purple Rain up there with those movies. This Is Spinal Tap and Walk Hard as well, if we're counting comedies. Though I do think you identify some advantages that rapper-focused movies can have.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF8h3hOGBJM

They made a third one of these movies

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ixnay posted:

Good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'd put Almost Famous and Purple Rain up there with those movies. This Is Spinal Tap and Walk Hard as well, if we're counting comedies. Though I do think you identify some advantages that rapper-focused movies can have.

All good movies. Tho Id say that parodies is kinda cheating, like I cant think of any rapper coming up parodies that are any good.

Almost Famous is interesting because it is from the outside view of the kid journalist. Sort of like how Velvet Goldmine works based on the outside view of its main protaganist.

Once you take the sincerity out of rap it crumbles. But maybe rock has more space for that kinda angle.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CB4 yo.

(I have not seen CB4 since 1993)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_czBLLkmRM

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fear of a Black Hat is pretty drat good too, and Krush Groove's not exactly parody, but it does get pretty silly, and also depicts a pretty good progression of the artists that are showcased (Fat Boys, Run DMC, Kurtis Blow, LL Cool J, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqp-aSPqQYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=herEmuXyoDM

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 19, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ixnay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF8h3hOGBJM

Looks a bit better than London. The problem is that the first one was pretty good Die Hard-alike but the 2nd film went for more spectacle and CGI nonsense that missed the mark of what made Olympus work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ruddiger posted:

Fear of a Black Hat is pretty drat good too

FoaBH is a work of genius. It sometimes gets referred to as "This is Spinal Rap", mostly over comparisons between "Come And Pet The Pussy" and "Lick My Love Pump", but that's decidedly unfair.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQJwhVX7yas

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl9JS8-gnWQ

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, I still don't know how I feel about this.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The Queen is coming to Downton.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu3mP0c51hE

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 21, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

clown shoes posted:

The Queen is coming to Downton.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And Once Upon a Time in Hollywood full trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELeMaP8EPAA

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A blink and you’ll miss it shot of Hollywood’s fav pedophile. I thought he’d been cut from the movie.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 21, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Anne Frank Funk posted:

A blink and you’ll miss it shot of Hollywood’s fav pedophile. I though he’d been cut from the movie.

You're gonna have to be more specific.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

A blink and you’ll miss it shot of Hollywood’s fav pedophile. I though he’d been cut from the movie.

Roman Polanski is kind of important to the story.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

You're gonna have to be more specific.

There’s been rumors in Polish media that Polanski is cut from the movie, but I think he’s in the trailer with Sharon Tate in a couple of dark frames.
Big deal here because we love our pedophile filmmakers and also because Tarantino hired a no name Polish actor for the role.

Edit:

Hakkesshu posted:

Roman Polanski is kind of important to the story.

I suppose you could conceivably do the Tate murder without showing much if any of Polanski especially in a fictionalized account.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 21, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He wasn't in the country at the time of the murders, so he's probably not gonna be in it much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He's definitely in the film according to reviewers.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Just so I'm clear what we're talking about, you guys mean someone will be playing him in the movie, right? Not some cameo from the man himself?

The first, I mean, yeah, that makes sense and I wouldn't really have a problem with, unless they make him into some totally awesome guy. The latter (which I doubt is what you're talking about) would be a big problem.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah the character of Polanski is in the film, not the man himself.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

He's definitely in the film according to reviewers.

Well, yeah. He's in the trailer.

Any indication that it's more than "Later, honey. I'm off to shoot a movie and not be in the country at the time of the events around your murder, just like in real life."?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 21, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, yeah. He's in the trailer.

Any indication that it's more than "Later, honey. I'm off to shoot a movie and not be in the country at the time of the events around your murder, just like in real life."?

Only that reviews have dropped that the film is "revisionist history" so anything could happen to mess with the true events (not really a spoiler but may be more than some sensitive folks want to know).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm almost surprised by HOW uninterested i am in the prospect of a new QT movie
Guess it's just not being 17 anymore

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So how much of this movie is about the murders and Manson, etc.? Originally I was steering clear of the film because of it because a Quentin Tarantino take on that subject sounds revolting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lobok posted:

So how much of this movie is about the murders and Manson, etc.? Originally I was steering clear of the film because of it because a Quentin Tarantino take on that subject sounds revolting.

There's a bunch of Charlie Manson in there, with Pitt seemingly working/living in his compound, and Manson people walking down a street at night with a gun. The culmination is probably the third act.
But the reactions out of Cannes describe a sweet conclusion, so I'm guessing it's subverted.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well the last Brad Pitt QT film gave zero shots about history, so I doubt this will be any different. But yeah, I can’t tell what movie I’m getting from these trailers.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope it ends with Bruce Lee kicking Charles Manson's rear end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Who is playing Bruce Lee? Because whoever cast him deserves a god drat award of some kind. He’s perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Well i guess you have my attention quentin