Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Natural gas is great. The trick is to create a large room full of gas containers, and pump the excess NG into them. After a while you end up with a shitload of NG. Combined with proper automation, I haven't really needed much else until really late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
If you get three natural gas geysers and are able to get to them in time to store the gas before they all cycle off, you will never need anything else for power.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Make multiple hatch farms. They're a great food source beyond just providing a bunch of coal. Until you have a big petroleum/NG setup the easiest thing to do is just have isolated circuits running off coal. I use the excess hydrogen from a 2kg/s SPOM to supplement my main base power (mostly just incubators and science) and leave random coal generators around for everything else. By the time you have big power draws like aquatuners and metal refineries you should have petroleum going, which will cover all your power needs for.... Probably forever. Use the heat from metal refineries and volcanoes to run steam turbines to help top off your batteries.

In my first "successful" base I tried making a big centralized power grid pre-pretroleum and it was just a huge finicky mess and not near worth all the time and refined metals it took.

Tame any metal volcanoes you find ASAP, you can easily do it before you get a proper metal refining setup up and it'll nearly cover all your refined metal needs for a long time,bwhich saves a ton of ore and a ton of power/heat.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I didn't even notice there were petroleum generators. Can you setup a self sufficient loop with enough oil and refineries?

Also is there a way to automate things that need a dupe to run, like the refineries?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I didn't even notice there were petroleum generators. Can you setup a self sufficient loop with enough oil and refineries?

Also is there a way to automate things that need a dupe to run, like the refineries?

With some steel I like to set up a crude oil > petroleum reactor with waste heat from a metal refinery. I’ll post a screenshot in a bit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/106287-oni-launch-date-moving-to-july/

quote:

Rather than launch something we’re not feeling great about, we’re just going to hold off a bit. We are moving release to July and we expect to open for testing around the end of June.

I'm sure we are all mighty upset that now we have to test this early access game some more.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Given the choice between a buggy and incomplete release and a delay, I'll always take the delay. The game is great as is so I'm having plenty of fun, I'm sad it's delayed but I'm glad they're doing right by it. Klei is great so there's no doubt that they're gonna put out a good release.

I do hope it comes with some optimizations though, having it chug in mid-late game even on a decent rig is pretty annoying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh thank god, I had way too much good stuff coming out in May/June

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I wasn’t sure how they were going to add 3 biomes that fast, this explains that.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Plus there's a few bugs in it right now too. From what I heard, there's issues with liquids/gas duplicating from state transitions for instance.

The "doors block gas" mod is the greatest thing ever, fyi. It's made gas management go from chore to manageable.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

User0015 posted:

Plus there's a few bugs in it right now too. From what I heard, there's issues with liquids/gas duplicating from state transitions for instance.

The "doors block gas" mod is the greatest thing ever, fyi. It's made gas management go from chore to manageable.

I'm not sure if you mean in the upcoming update, but the mass duplication error from state transitions is absolutely in the game right now. To test it just let an AETN run full bore in a room that has some CO2.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm OK with the delay as long as they bring things back under their original preview/release cycle. To be honest this final update sounds large enough to warrant breaking into two, or even three, so they can release the first preview this week, another in mid/late June and the final release can come sometime in July.

It would be a serious rookie mistake to release a big patch like this untested just for the sake of "surprise" or whatever. The last thing you want is for brand new players to suffer from serious bugs.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Triarii posted:

Ones that actually affect gameplay, cheating not only the game but yourself, etc:
Deconstructable POI Props
Suit Dock Stores 75kg Oxygen

How exactly is "deconstructable POI props" 'cheating the game and yourself'? It's just adding a feature that Klei hasn't yet for unknown reasons. They already delayed letting you deconstruct POI tiles for ages...

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ambaire posted:

How exactly is "deconstructable POI props" 'cheating the game and yourself'?

:thejoke:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Tiles like that are one of the reasons I'll have sandbox mode ready to be flipped on and off at a moment's notice. Hope modding takes off for this game.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Oh my god I thought I was all good handling all this extra oxygen I was producing and now everybody's ear drums have popped. gently caress me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pleads posted:

Oh my god I thought I was all good handling all this extra oxygen I was producing and now everybody's ear drums have popped. gently caress me.
This happened to me in my last save file. What was I doing wrong, and how do I manage it?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Apparently just replacing normal vents with high pressure vents to get rid of my backed up O2 lines was not the proper way to handle it. Once pressure reaches 4kg their ears burst, which basically describes my whole base at the moment.

I don't know what to do with excess O2 so I think I'm just going to set up an emergency release into space.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Stuff the current excess into gas reservoirs for use in space exploration. Put a pressure gauge in your base to turn the electrolyzer off when pressure gets too high.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I've never made it to space so that had not even occurred to me, heh. Nor had, y'know, turning OFF the O2 production.

Pressure gauge is a good idea, going to take a rework of my O2 lines since I for some reason set things up so that two separate SPOMs on opposite sides of the base are feeding different sets of my atmo suit stations.

Like 300 cycles ago I was all "now I'm going to figure out how to work with oil!" and since then it's just been one small side project after the next and no oil has been processed.

Feels like real life.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Just pump your base with O2 with normal vents. They'll back up when pressure is good and you'll never have to worry about it. If the lines back up in a way that keeps O2 from getting to the right places then your line is not built right, use more bridges! If it's just backing up because pressure is good, good! That's what you want. It means you got enough O2 for your dupes and room to grow.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
A well made electrolyzer setup produces ~520 kg/c O2 and a regular dupe consumes 60 kg/c so it should be able to support 8-9 each. Adding dupes is a reasonable solution too.

EDIT: ^^^ Also correct

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 23, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mazz posted:

A well made electrolyzer setup produces ~520 kg/c O2 and a regular dupe consumes 60 kg/c so it should be able to support 8-9 each. Adding dupes is a reasonable solution too.

EDIT: ^^^ Also correct

What constitutes a well made SPOM? 🙂

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah my problem stemmed from using the excess hydrogen from SPOMs to provide necessary power to the base, so I wanted the O2 lines cleared so the electrolyzers would keep running. Mazz, I'm using your SPOM design so you know it runnin' well.

That was when I had 4 different power sources powering 4 different loops of important things, so everything always needed to be running. I reworked everything to feed into a trunk line and now I think I have enough backup power sources that it won't be a problem to just have them turn off.

Thanks for the ideas on planning for the future, that's probably my worst trait in this game.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mayveena posted:

What constitutes a well made SPOM? 🙂

One that isn’t backed up by either gas. You need 3 pumps to consistently insure that, as there is 880g/s of O2 and 112 grams of H2 produced per second. Each pump only handles 500 g/s max, and one type per packet.

Your bulk design you posted last looked fine because you don’t explicitly need that many pumps per electrolyzer, just enough total pump power to move the gas away.

Basically if you aren’t moving the gasses away fast enough, the electrolyzer shuts itself off for a second or 2 constantly from overpressure and total efficiency falls fast, meaning you might only make 450 kg/c or less per electrolyzer. Still totally fine, just not optimal and supporting less potential dupes.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 23, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pleads posted:

Apparently just replacing normal vents with high pressure vents to get rid of my backed up O2 lines was not the proper way to handle it. Once pressure reaches 4kg their ears burst, which basically describes my whole base at the moment.

I don't know what to do with excess O2 so I think I'm just going to set up an emergency release into space.

Build some gas containers and pump the excess O2 into them. Later on, you can cool it down and store it as a liquid, which will take up less space.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

enraged_camel posted:

Build some gas containers and pump the excess O2 into them. Later on, you can cool it down and store it as a liquid, which will take up less space.

:aaaaa:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Or just build infinite gas rooms using the water over vent trick.

I wanted to not "cheat" and use gas containers but it's just so much more effort and not nearly as pretty.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Can you store gas canisters (not the big structures, the little ones that dupes pull out of a dispenser) or do they only get created when there's a release structure set up to accept them?

e: storing them in this way probably takes up more space than just a storage structure but I'm mostly curious.

Pleads fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 23, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
How exactly does dupe breathing work? If there's 20kg pressurized air around them and they take in x grams of oxygen, it subtracts that from the tile they're on and replaces it with an equal amount of CO2? Which would replace the oxygen in that tile since gases don't mix so now you have one tile of a few grams of CO2 in an environment of 20kg oxygen?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

bird food bathtub posted:

How exactly does dupe breathing work? If there's 20kg pressurized air around them and they take in x grams of oxygen, it subtracts that from the tile they're on and replaces it with an equal amount of CO2? Which would replace the oxygen in that tile since gases don't mix so now you have one tile of a few grams of CO2 in an environment of 20kg oxygen?

It’s definitely not at equal amount of CO2, I think it’s 25%, but they seemingly take in a certain amount and exhale in bulk, so it’s not an exchange every single second. Go into the gas overlay as they sleep and you’ll see it working very clearly assuming your sleep area is well ventilated.

EDIT:

You can see what I mean here, the red packets in the middle are exhaled CO2 drifting down.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 23, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Double post but one other real important but not obvious thing about gas/spoms is the gas piping. While a pump can only do 500g/s, the pipe can handle 1000 per tile, so 2 pumps moving the same gas will merge into the same pipe tiles perfectly. 3 pumps and now the single pipe will limit flow and break the system. Other gasses in the flow will also limit if you are trying to move 500g+ of a certain gas every second.

Basically, if you do a bulk electrolyzer setup instead of individual SPOMs just make sure you plan the pumps/piping accordingly. Little bit of up front effort to save you a poo poo load of effort later, like most other things in ONI.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 23, 2019

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I was thinking of ways to quickly suck out the over-pressure gas in my base but seeing that screenshot: it's probably way easier to just nuke a huge section of rock and let the gas fill that space, right?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Pleads posted:

I was thinking of ways to quickly suck out the over-pressure gas in my base but seeing that screenshot: it's probably way easier to just nuke a huge section of rock and let the gas fill that space, right?

It’s not fast or easy to strip mine like that because you need ladder scaffolding but yeah so long as you aren’t tearing into polluted oxygen sources it should let the pressure drop. Or just disable the electrolyzers for like 10 cycles and get rid of the high pressure vents.

If your SPOMs are in sealed rooms, just cut the water supply to the elects instead.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 23, 2019

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah I'm going to add auto-stops to the electrolyzers + replace the vents, but for immediate fixing of the ears-popping problem I need to drop the pressure a bit.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Well the point is that if you cut supply immediately your dupes will lower oxygen pressure by breathing over a few cycles. If you have 8+ dupes they should cut that down reasonably quick. Every other solution probably requires more infrastructure that it’s worth since it’s gonna take a few days to get set up anyway.

If your morale is taking a big hit give them a few more work free schedule blocks till fixed, they’ll still be standing around using oxygen.

EDIT: vvvv do that either way

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 23, 2019

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Alternatively, any dupes you feel are getting uppity about having too much oxygen in a game called Oxygen Not Included can be sent to live in the punishment room, which contains nothing but an unpowered jukebox and an all-chlorine atmosphere.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I went with the setup of having everyone hop in an atmo suit after showering in the morning so the outside-living area pressure won't really fix itself on its own very fast, unfortunately.

I'm going to take a multi-pronged approach of shouting lots of orders at dupes who can't hear and we'll see how it turns out.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Pleads posted:

I went with the setup of having everyone hop in an atmo suit after showering in the morning so the outside-living area pressure won't really fix itself on its own very fast, unfortunately.

I'm going to take a multi-pronged approach of shouting lots of orders at dupes who can't hear and we'll see how it turns out.

Ah yeah if you’re already in all suits all the time I can see the issue. If your food supply is automated you could lock them in potentially, just disable the suit docks and they can’t go past them. Couple days of standing around yelling WHAT at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I may have to look in to that, I've always set up a home base with all the living quarters and stuff and only have people jump in suits if they're going outside of that, more based on "clean" and "not clean" for stuff like polluted O2 or slime walls and stuff. Thinking about it now though it probably is more efficient to have the suits be the default as soon as people wake up, shower, use the toilets and get moving.