Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
сука блять

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I see pleeenty of slurs and racist/Nazi names or profile pictures in the European Frontline servers, myself.

Turn off the chat.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I wish politics and memers hadn't hosed up "Deus Vult" in 2016. Having taken Latin and studied the Crusades, I feel like it was a pretty badass battle cry.

Now it's cliche at best, and offensive at worst.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is there a way to see what your character looks like from the front while playing Frontline?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

Is there a way to see what your character looks like from the front while playing Frontline?

Decapitation?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Orv posted:

Yeah I think I might have to be done with Frontline. It's getting a little too game-y and stratified with maximum efficiency strats over fun.

I keep thinking this and then coming back in a day or two.

I'm really excited for more objective-style maps though, like Chivalry used to have.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Build a time machine. Make some friends in the past. Wait until Mordhau is release again. Level up and buy the gear again. Ask your new friends from the past to take a screenshot and send it to you.

I still have no idea what I look like.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It is extremely, extremely soothing to load up the ol' half-naked neanderthal brawler and just running around hucking rocks at people or punching them, spamming laughter the entire time. Better still when some guy is LuteBotting it up next to you.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Fox Cunning posted:

I rarely see anything so blatant on European servers. Maybe a guy with Deus Vult in their name or similar every other game. Granted, the stuff written in Russian is probably not what you would call progressive if i'd have to guess, but I'd have no way of knowing.

Yeah we're used to Europeans thinking their racism is different

Edit: I haven't seen racism like that before. *Deus Vults and throws a banana on the soccer football field.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh shut the gently caress up, that's not even what people were saying.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Phlegmish posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up, that's not even what people were saying.

:cry:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I feel like in 24h I just poo poo the bed. Woke up and went 9/19. Yesterday before work I was going 30+ kills ad like 15 deaths. Today my timing is poo poo, my distance is poo poo, my aiming is poo poo.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It happens. Sometimes I'll just go at horde mode as a palate cleanser.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
For anyone who sucks, going into a duel server and getting your rear end kicked is an amazing way to improve. Just fight literally everyone and don't stop and your brain will figure it out.

I did that for a few hours and now I feel like a genius going back into Frontlines and I take back all the rude things I said about this game because it's rad. I'm still poo poo but getting a positive KD every few games and holding your own in a fight feels amazing

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I need to get a lutebot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_zzJiWJQ08&t=80s

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Songbearer posted:

For anyone who sucks, going into a duel server and getting your rear end kicked is an amazing way to improve. Just fight literally everyone and don't stop and your brain will figure it out.

I did that for a few hours and now I feel like a genius going back into Frontlines and I take back all the rude things I said about this game because it's rad. I'm still poo poo but getting a positive KD every few games and holding your own in a fight feels amazing

Me and a few friends went at it for a while with training swords and 3/3/3 armor. That's a great way to learn honestly

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zotix posted:

I feel like in 24h I just poo poo the bed. Woke up and went 9/19. Yesterday before work I was going 30+ kills ad like 15 deaths. Today my timing is poo poo, my distance is poo poo, my aiming is poo poo.

It comes and goes, earlier tonight I was playing like poo poo, just right now I join and immediately get 9 kills in a row.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
It's really funny to see everyone try their damndest to join red team when Taiga comes up.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Me and a few friends went at it for a while with training swords and 3/3/3 armor. That's a great way to learn honestly

I forget if it was you or someone else who said they went into a duel server with two training swords and threw one on the ground, and usually their opponent would be into it and then they'd just practice poo poo without even having to communicate? IT WORKS. I did this yesterday for about an hour and got better at chambering and riposting than I have the entire time playing since release. Training swords are such a good inclusion and not just for the dumb achievement.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Does anyone know what's happening when someone attacking you seems to close the gap incredibly quickly during the swing? It's not dodge, but it throws me off whenever it happens because of how I rely on footwork. Are they sprinting into me during the swing?

Orv
May 4, 2011

School Nickname posted:

Does anyone know what's happening when someone attacking you seems to close the gap incredibly quickly during the swing? It's not dodge, but it throws me off whenever it happens because of how I rely on footwork. Are they sprinting into me during the swing?

Yeah. There's an inbuilt lunge to all attacks if you move forward while attacking, sprint increases it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

School Nickname posted:

yea they sprint into you, I believe they call it accelerating the swing.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Kild posted:

yea they sprint into you, I believe they call it accelerating the swing.

Those are seperate things. Sprinting while swinging does create a sort of lunge which closes distances faster. Acceling is when you turn into your swing, making it hit faster. Turning away so your swing hits later is called a drag.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
no playing Frontlines is a drag

timn
Mar 16, 2010

McSpanky posted:

I forget if it was you or someone else who said they went into a duel server with two training swords and threw one on the ground, and usually their opponent would be into it and then they'd just practice poo poo without even having to communicate? IT WORKS. I did this yesterday for about an hour and got better at chambering and riposting than I have the entire time playing since release. Training swords are such a good inclusion and not just for the dumb achievement.

I was messing around with the training sword in a free for all deathmatch server, which turned into other people messing with the training sword too, which then eventually turned into a roving gang of training sword hooligans surrounding and beating down anyone using a real weapon.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Gobblecoque posted:

It's really funny to see everyone try their damndest to join red team when Taiga comes up.

I always pick Blue on Taiga to see if I can turn it.

Taiga’s problem for blue is that people tend to spread themselves thin for all the ways blue can take the fort.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

I think the many things that can cause sudden death kind of drag the game down - catapults, ballistas, horses, archers if youre unlucky, etc. Camp is an especially bad map for this. I get that the game would be too straightforward and boring if it were just dudes hacking at each other, but it does get tiring to waste your time by dying out of the blue.
Catapult shots can be seen coming from a long away slowly arcing through the air if you pay attention. They also have long predictable reload times. If you're close enough you can hear the catapult shot start and have enough time to react to get out of the way.

Ballistas always have the same static position on the map and you can peek to see if someone is manning it. There's ways around the ballista line of fire to contest the ballista.

Horses you can hear coming in time to react parry their swing attempts from behind.

Archers you can get randomly hosed by unless you have tanky armor, make sure you run around at near full health, or have really good reactions and presence of mind. I think you need at least level 1 or 2 head armor to avoid getting 1-shot by a long bow.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 19, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Any goons around for goon server nonsense?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTfxDYoswTM

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
this game needs more maps

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Let's get the few that are in game balanced first.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

Catapult shots can be seen coming from a long away slowly arcing through the air if you pay attention. They also have long predictable reload times. If you're close enough you can hear the catapult shot start and have enough time to react to get out of the way.

Ballistas always have the same static position on the map and you can peek to see if someone is manning it. There's ways around the ballista line of fire to contest the ballista.

Horses you can hear coming in time to react parry their swing attempts from behind.

Archers you can get randomly hosed by unless you have tanky armor, make sure you run around at near full health, or have really good reactions and presence of mind. I think you need at least level 1 or 2 head armor to avoid getting 1-shot by a long bow.

All of this is true, but you're not going to be paying attention to that during a heated fight. And if you can somehow anticipate it, you still won't be able to properly react to it without getting ganked. While it is funny that your enemies are getting wrecked by their teammates at the same time, or you by yours, that doesn't really make it less annoying.

I'm going to take a break from the game for a bit, last night I was getting unreasonably frustrated at going 1-7. I don't want to start raging at video games at age 29.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I'm going to take a break from the game for a bit, last night I was getting unreasonably frustrated at going 1-7. I don't want to start raging at video games at age 29.

This game is easy to rage at because it's probably one of the most realistic depictions of a battlefield I've seen in a while. In Mordhau there are no heroes. You're not going to run out into the battlefield to be Luke Skywalker or slay a dragon.

You're going to have a life expectancy that can be counted in seconds, and you will probably die to something you couldn't possibly have predicted or reacted to, like a rock falling out of the sky, a ballista shot from across the map, or a silently approaching horse from behind.

The fights are rarely fair either. You're going to get in 5v1 fights. You're going to get in situations where your teammates suddenly disappear and leave you alone.

I think this is actually a strength of Mordhau - accurately representing this hopeless feeling of "Whelp, I guess I'm hosed" at times. It makes those moments of success that you do find feel so much more successful.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 19, 2019

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
You are probably deaf if horses are sneaking up on you. If you're in the middle of a fight and a horseboy pokes you in the back of the head while you're fighting, that's just the nature of getting caught in a 2v1 and it'd be the same as a maul user with cat sneaking up and Gallaghering your head. :shrug:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Arsonide posted:

This game is easy to rage at because it's probably one of the most realistic depictions of a battlefield I've seen in a while. In Mordhau there are no heroes. You're not going to run out into the battlefield to be Luke Skywalker or slay a dragon.

You're going to have a life expectancy that can be counted in seconds, and you will probably die to something you couldn't possibly have predicted or reacted to, like a rock falling out of the sky, a ballista shot from across the map, or a silently approaching horse from behind.

The fights are rarely fair either. You're going to get in 5v1 fights. You're going to get in situations where your teammates suddenly disappear and leave you alone.

I think this is actually a strength of Mordhau - accurately representing this hopeless feeling of "Whelp, I guess I'm hosed" at times. It makes those moments of success that you do find feel so much more successful.

Fully agree. I suck, badly, but those rare moments when you get a kill streak going and murder 3 people rushing at you in quick succession, then see the others stop, look at the carnage and go "nope", turn tail and run .. I never felt so drat AWESOME in a videogame :black101:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

Commoners posted:

You are probably deaf if horses are sneaking up on you.

Obviously, you hear horses coming, but my point is when you are focused on other things, like not being impaled by 7 people in front of you, the horse is automatically deprioritized a bit in your mind because maybe it is charging someone else, you don't know, you can't see it, and if you look you will get stabbed.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Also, especially in duels, remember to switch up your grip if your weapon allows it. The eveningstar has a shorter and faster alt grip which means if you switch to it after a few "normal" swings people get seriously confused :D it's most effective if there is a speed difference between grips, and if the alt grip is not painfully evident like the longsword, but sometimes just the reduced range and/or different animation can throw the opponent off allowing for a couple cheap hits

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Arsonide posted:

Yeah I get turbofucked constantly but I was playing Camp on frontline the other day and killed 6 people. It was like an action movie. They were coming at me one at a time in an open space and I was somehow chambering and successfully morphing and decapitating dudes and then I don't remember how I died because by the time I'd killed the fourth and saw the fifth coming I was high on "who wants it next?"

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Nothing feels better than when 3 scrubs all run up to you, thinking they confidently have you dead, and you swipe all 3 of their heads off with a single swing of your giant axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
horses are also extremely loud... which is actually why they sneak up on you, cuz you hear them from so far away that you kind of tune it out after a while

in most frontlines map if there's horsies actually contributing to the fight (don't laugh) you're going to hear it constantly after all