Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Get comfy, I'm gonna hit you with four recipes that'll blow your mind. First up, my most favourite curry ever. It works just as well with chicken breast (and cooks much quicker as a result) and the flavour on this will knock your socks off. My girlfriend never eats more than a plate of food, but this recipe had her knocking back a second large plate and then getting upset because she wanted more but was too full, she genuinely sat there for 10 minutes having an existential crisis and trying to bargain with herself on whether it was worth feeling sick to eat more:

Then you've got two really delicious seafood recipes, they take no time to make at all and it's just Indian spice flavour town. These are my go-to curries on a busy worknight when I just want food (ignore the gross presentation):

Then a super simple potato coconut curry:

Scientastic posted:

There are whole regions of the Indian subcontinent where it’s rare to eat your curry with rice. Personally I like mine with chapati.

Is it easy to make naan / chapati at home? I want everything to be made from scratch, the thought of getting store-bought naan kinda lessens the whole "Hey, I really like you as a person, so I cooked you food to show appreciation" aspect.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Qubee posted:

Is it easy to make naan / chapati at home?
Yes. Chapati is easier but both are very easy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DasNeonLicht posted:

How does one end up with 35 pounds of unrefined avocado oil, anyway?

Start with 116.6 pounds of avocado, a steamroller and a very sturdy but also very fine mesh??

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yes. Chapati is easier but both are very easy.

I concur: chapati is one of the simplest things to cook. It is unleavened bread, one of the most basic and earliest culinary inventions.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If it's your first time making naan, I wouldn't do it for guests in addition to multiple other dishes. It's doable in itself, but it's another thing to fit into the timing and hands-on attention.

Also, frankly, Whole Foods' premade naan is better than mine. Make some garlic-cilantro compound ghee to put on it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Doom Rooster posted:

Make focaccia? It's normally a metric poo poo ton of good olive oil, so it'll be a great showcase for the avocado oil. Not sure if that will end up being great or terrible. High risk, high reward.

Fake edit: Maybe instead of rosemary, do Mexican oregano.

Good call. Not much risk, only two hours of my time and not a lot of flour.

poeticoddity posted:

Any interest in making soap?

Ooh. Yes. I have a coworker who makes soap too, so I can learn from her.

DasNeonLicht posted:

How does one end up with 35 pounds of unrefined avocado oil, anyway?

I suppose everyone has their own path, but I work at a food production company. We were clearing out shelves in the warehouse, and what kind of sucker turns down $400 of free oil?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just deep fry with it. The impurities won't matter there, really.

Sorry for the double post but I'm on mobile.

Really? I thought they would contribute a bad flavor as they break down faster than a more pure lipid.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I suppose everyone has their own path, but I work at a food production company. We were clearing out shelves in the warehouse, and what kind of sucker turns down $400 of free oil?

How old is this oil?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Doom Rooster posted:

How old is this oil?

Best by date is in about two years. I could look up dom I guess but it smells and tastes fine. I've already made a few vinaigrettes with it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sweet. I was just worried that if it had been sitting around on a shelf for years, it might have issues. Good luck, have fun!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Sorry for the double post but I'm on mobile.

Really? I thought they would contribute a bad flavor as they break down faster than a more pure lipid.

Well yeah, sort of, but in deep frying you're not getting as many of those flavors onto your cooked food. Notice that we will reuse fry oil time and again, with impurities (yes strained buttttt......) and things are just fine.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well yeah, sort of, but in deep frying you're not getting as many of those flavors onto your cooked food. Notice that we will reuse fry oil time and again, with impurities (yes strained buttttt......) and things are just fine.

Alright yeah good point. I'll use it for fryer oil. That'll only eat up a quart or two, though.

Think toum would be good with the earthy flavor?

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Garlic confit sounds like it would be really good with an earthy flavored oil. Maybe just confit a bunch of different things :science: ?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

If it's your first time making naan, I wouldn't do it for guests

I mean, also this for basically any dish. Practice makes perfect!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

feedmegin posted:

I mean, also this for basically any dish. Practice makes perfect!

I dunno, I have a lot of fun picking a random new recipe and bringing it to our weekly brunch potluck. It gets a little Iron Chef/Bake Off in the kitchen sometimes though as I run out of time and have to futz with the recipe to get something out the door.

...but that potluck is not a high stress event and I'm not trying to impress anyone and it won't be the only food there... So it's not really like anything discussed. But it does let me feed my addiction to novelty!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd guess flavor is enhanced by salt so they can skimp in the regular kind

I'd get the low sodium stuff and resalt unless you've got a doctor's note, or just use more of the regular stuff

The regular has disodium guanylate and inosinate which boosts your perception of umami. I guess the low sodium one doesn’t have some sugar either but missing IMP and GMP will make your food less savory.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am marinading (in the fridge) some pork in a particularly delicious homemade barbecue sauce: if I have leftover sauce that isn’t stuck to the outside of the meat, can I just heat it in a pan to make it safe to have as a sauce on the side?

I assume once it’s reached a boil, it’s safe to eat, but just thought I’d check with the food safety experts here...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I am marinading (in the fridge) some pork in a particularly delicious homemade barbecue sauce: if I have leftover sauce that isn’t stuck to the outside of the meat, can I just heat it in a pan to make it safe to have as a sauce on the side?

I assume once it’s reached a boil, it’s safe to eat, but just thought I’d check with the food safety experts here...

:checks pulse:

I am still alive, so I'm going to go with yes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Yeah that's fine

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Made this, it was very very good. I'll probably halve the chicken next time, what vegetables would be good in this?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

goodness posted:

Made this, it was very very good. I'll probably halve the chicken next time, what vegetables would be good in this?

Korma is very good with cauliflower, potatoes (especially young golden potatoes), paneer, cluster beans, haricot vert, carrot, lauki, and green peas.

cauliflower and lauki are my favorite of those personally

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
im making some fermented honey garlic! aside from eating it straight or putting it on pizza/sandwiches, anybody got any good uses for this stuff?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

fart store posted:

im making some fermented honey garlic! aside from eating it straight or putting it on pizza/sandwiches, anybody got any good uses for this stuff?

What is this? Is it just raw garlic suspended in honey that you forget about for a few months?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Nephzinho posted:

What is this? Is it just raw garlic suspended in honey that you forget about for a few months?

Yeah, pretty much. Got the 'recipe' here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLVxVQ8O0s4

I'm wondering if this would be a good cocktail or marinade ingredient. i'm looking forward to experimenting with it but if anybody else has used it for weird stuff, i wanna know. Maybe I should call in to cooking issues.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

loving Brad, man.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

loving Brad, man.

i hope he makes something from the botulism what finally does him in

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Chard posted:

i hope he makes something from the botulism what finally does him in

As long as he doesn't take Claire with him.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

fart store posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Got the 'recipe' here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLVxVQ8O0s4

I'm wondering if this would be a good cocktail or marinade ingredient. i'm looking forward to experimenting with it but if anybody else has used it for weird stuff, i wanna know. Maybe I should call in to cooking issues.

can't help but think that it would be good in toum or tzatziki

e: kasundi would hella own

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I put some on hotlinks with saurkraut and it was lit.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

fart store posted:

I had an interesting honey-garlic vodka shot once.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
thanks! I will very probably try all of those suggestions!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So do the botulism spores in each cancel each other out or

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So do the botulism spores in each cancel each other out or

gotta die somehow, pal

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

fart store posted:

gotta die somehow, pal

Some people hear "get busy living or get busy dying" and come away with the wrong idea.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I make a really simple Italian-ish tomato/white bean/some kind of green /ham soup a lot that I freeze for when I don’t have time/energy to cook. I have a bunch of basil growing in the garden I was thinking about adding. Will the basil flavor disappear with cooking/and or freezing? I add the greens (usually spinach, sometimes kale) at the end and just let them wilt a bit and was thinking of adding the basil with them.

Also baking some bread today-could I slice the bread and freeze it individually sliced so I can just have a slice with some soup or will it dry out and get funky?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I make a really simple Italian-ish tomato/white bean/some kind of green /ham soup a lot that I freeze for when I don’t have time/energy to cook. I have a bunch of basil growing in the garden I was thinking about adding. Will the basil flavor disappear with cooking/and or freezing? I add the greens (usually spinach, sometimes kale) at the end and just let them wilt a bit and was thinking of adding the basil with them.

Also baking some bread today-could I slice the bread and freeze it individually sliced so I can just have a slice with some soup or will it dry out and get funky?

Your basil flavor will probably be a little muted but it won't disappear.

Yes, you can freeze a sliced loaf of bread and it'll be fine. bring slices back to life in the toaster.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Adding the basil at the end just before freezing will keep the flavor the best.

I always end up slicing and freezing half of every loaf I bake. It toasts great, and dries out great for french toast as well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If I make a big round loaf I tend to cut it in half to freeze. Before freezing I put the exposed face down and then kind of cut into it from the crust, leaving just enough that the slices stay together. I find it helps reheat and separate the slices later while keeping as little surface area exposed going into the freezer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you have basil growing in the garden and you'd add it right at the end anyway, why not just make the soup without it and later grab a few fresh leaves while it heats up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Beginner at cooking here. So I pan seared a two chicken breast(boneless skinless) the other week and they came out fine. I did like 4 minutes each side on medium high heat. Today I did a larger piece and it didn't cook properly. I see lots of people pounding the chicken breast to make it even and some people steam it on low after cooking the sides. Why pound it? Also some people do cuts through the chicken breast is that just for the seasoning or does it cook better as well? And is steaming a good option toward the end so you can cook the interiors for sure? Thanks in advance.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 20, 2019