Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sorry I wasn't clear, "piercing and missile" is one class of damage. It's blunt/slashing/piercing and missile, not blunt/slashing/piercing/missile

Some weapons have two depending on how they're used - throwing axes are slashing if you're using them in melee mode and piercing(and missile) if you're using them as ranged. Same with any daggers that allow you to do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JustJeff88 posted:

I followed that link and I'm sad to see that there are so many... let's call them "shortcomings" on GOG. However, I know that some have improved over time and haven't been updated there. For example, the French version of Bloodlines was added last month.

I would not rely on Connect for anything as it is subject to the whims of publishers who wouldn't give a crippled crab a crutch. Nevertheless, thank you for supporting GOG.*

*This has been an unpaid endorsement from some twat on the Internet who no-one cares about

I care about you.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

bike tory posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear, "piercing and missile" is one class of damage. It's blunt/slashing/piercing and missile, not blunt/slashing/piercing/missile

Some weapons have two depending on how they're used - throwing axes are slashing if you're using them in melee mode and piercing(and missile) if you're using them as ranged. Same with any daggers that allow you to do both.

Are you sure? There's items like small shields, large shields and the boots of avoidance that specifically refer to missile only.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Piercing and missile are separate damage types.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah BG separated them.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
IIRC missile damage is a subset of pierce damage, such that if an enemy has both missile and pierce resistance your ranged character is double hosed and the resistances both work

I might be thinking of a different game though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's obviously been too long since I tried to make any items but I could've sworn it was the same damage type?

Maybe it's the same for resistances but different for armour class?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

They're separate for resistances as well. You can see this most easily with skeletons, which take half damage from piercing attacks but only 10% damage from missiles. Or the Belt of Inertial Barrier in BG2 which gives 25% resistance against missiles but none against piercing.

Entropy238 posted:

IIRC missile damage is a subset of pierce damage, such that if an enemy has both missile and pierce resistance your ranged character is double hosed and the resistances both work

I might be thinking of a different game though.

Must be a different game, BG doesn't do that. Pretty much any creature with piercing defence has equal or better missile defence though, so using ranged attacks against them is a bad idea either way.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 13, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Quote is not edit.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

I don't think PRC is in it's entirety available on the workshop in the first place, it uses a bunch of executables and core file modding.

It basically crams in as much pen and paper content as possible (soulknives, 2 kinds of samurai, weapon techniques, crafting, epic spells, etc.). I didn't know it was updated for the EE though, last I've used it was years before the EE came out.

It's fun but some of the new content can be kinda cludgy. The aforementioned weapon techniques for one, they need quite a bit of pausing and resting.

e: When I say as much as possible I mean that it includes several dozen new classes, almost as many new races (including ecl penalties), a revised levelling system (needs config file tweaking because the average nwn module throws a lot more monsters on players than pnp does), 100+ prestige classes, several new skills and hundreds of new spells.

e2: Apparently it is available on the workshop, but it's also on nwvault and I imagine it's better without it being automatically updated so I'd use the non-steam installer anyway. And yes the nwvault content got preserved and is now run by fans.

It is on the workshop in its entirety, yes. The executable it came with were there to make it easy to add the PRC to other modules without needing to do it manually and is still included in the workshop version.

If you'd rather not use the workshop version, it's on the Neverwinter Vault, but it's easier to find if you just google for it.

Generally the workshop version doesn't break anything, but it also doesn't automatically update like it should, since it just gets stuffed into a steam folder.

I do recommend customizing the personnel_switches.2da to your preferences, since they attempt to change a lot of stuff to pnp standards, which is often just more annoying than fun.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I think it's time to do a run through of the BG series again, and I'm trying to decide what kind of character I want to play.

The last time (the first time!) I beat the game, it was with an elf fighter/mage. I'd like to switch it up a bit. I know everything is pretty much viable, but I'm looking to single class a character this time all the way through, and while a level 20 mage sounds like a blast, I want to do a different stronghold in BG2.

So I'm thinking a cleric, a paladin, or a druid (maybe). Any suggestions from the thread on this? I loved my bard in IWD, but it doesn't look like BG1's bard is as good in any sense. Paladin looks like fun - Undead Hunter or Inquisitor would be my go to kits. Are any of the cleric kits worth it, or druid kits? Anything out of the ordinary that not many people play but are underrated?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Clerics are an absolute powerhouse in BG. Can't go wrong there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Avenger druid kit is fun, gives some much needed offensive spells for the lower levels and non-useless shifting options.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Single-classed divine casters do become somewhat weak in late SoA and ToB, but that'll take a lot of hours and you'll always have your team to rely on. If you want to go that route, the Avenger kit is a good choice because, like Skwirl said, it lets you do things beyond buffing.

Paladins are also solid and any of the kits are powerful. They're not much for spellcasting though, just slightly fancier Fighters.

Edit: In general, there's not much reason to go unkitted on a single class, because the advantages of most kits far outweigh their drawbacks. Especially for Clerics whose kits don't even have a drawback.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 13, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

I think it's time to do a run through of the BG series again, and I'm trying to decide what kind of character I want to play.

The last time (the first time!) I beat the game, it was with an elf fighter/mage. I'd like to switch it up a bit. I know everything is pretty much viable, but I'm looking to single class a character this time all the way through, and while a level 20 mage sounds like a blast, I want to do a different stronghold in BG2.

So I'm thinking a cleric, a paladin, or a druid (maybe). Any suggestions from the thread on this? I loved my bard in IWD, but it doesn't look like BG1's bard is as good in any sense. Paladin looks like fun - Undead Hunter or Inquisitor would be my go to kits. Are any of the cleric kits worth it, or druid kits? Anything out of the ordinary that not many people play but are underrated?

Paladins get some of the best gear in the game but the basic class is worse then all the kits. Inquisitor's dispel magic is practically a cheat spell in the unmodded game. Undead Hunters are immune to level drain and Cavaliers are immune to fear. Both of those are things are extremely useless as inherent abilities.

Cleric kits are alignment based, but even so can front line tank enemies with the right gear and spells.

Druids can be pretty powerful as casters and can also front line tank with the right gear/spells. If you get the fixpack changes to the Shapeshifter class you are basically unkillable in BG1, and really powerful in BG2 before dropping off a bit in TOB. If you don't fix it it's basically useless for anything other then casting.

The Totemic druid is another class that can breeze through BG1, the summons are immune to normal weapons so they can wipe entire hordes of goblins, kobolds, orcs, and thugs effortlessly.

Bards are good at a lot of things, but not great. Blades can become invincible tanks at a certain point, and getting thief HLAs is a huge endgame bonus. There's also some fantastic armor for bards in both games that they can wear and still cast spells.

Out of all of them, I'd say Paladin and Bards have the best stronghold quests. Druids have the worst/most meaningless. Personally I just used the fixpack to let my character get all strongholds, though some of them may bug out eventually from that and not complete the quest.

I wouldn't rule out dual-classing a character. That's more of a BG2 thing for powergaming, but you can take a single class kit in BG1 and have fun, then dual class to a new character for BG2. There's a whole world of specifics and details about it, but typically you take a fighter/thief and the dual to a casting class at a level when you gain a new ability use/extra attack.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Avenger class features kind of drop off in usefulness in the late game but that's arguably true of every class feature that isn't Greater Whirlwind, Summon Planetar, or Chill While The Mage Casts Time Stop And Improved Alacrity. Their downside looks kind of bad on paper but it's more or less negligible in practice.

Totemic Druid is a surprisingly solid choice too (I usually mod the kit onto Jaheira in BG1). The summons are never amazing but they're a nice supplement to the party, especially after they become immune to non-magic weapons (Level 10 iirc).

Shapeshifter is also a druid kit offered by the game.

All of the paladin kits are good. Undead Hunter's probably a better long-term choice than Cavalier but they both get great immunities (and the combo of fear and poison immunity is incredible in the first game). Inquisitor is even better; it's basically a gently caress Mages button disguised as a character kit.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I love single class cleric runs personally. The Helm and Lathander kits are both really powerful - helm more so in the early game and Lathander more in the late game.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Very cool. I'll probably go with a kitted Cleric, or an inquisitor Paladin. I've tried using Keldorn's inquisitor powers before and found them extremely underwhelming, but that may be because I'm not good at this game.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Fighter or ranger/cleric multiclass is also a good option. Hardly and penalties and great strengths.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

Very cool. I'll probably go with a kitted Cleric, or an inquisitor Paladin. I've tried using Keldorn's inquisitor powers before and found them extremely underwhelming, but that may be because I'm not good at this game.

Dispel Magic for Inquistors is cast at 2x character level, so a level 8 inquistor is casting what a level 16 mage would, a mage by that point shouldn't be spending time casting level 3 spells.

True Sight wipes simulacrum, project image, dimension door, improved invisibility etc. Every possible illusion spell several times over an entire turn.

They also cast instantly, and since Dispel Magic is aoe you can use it to disable confusion/stun/fear on your own party.

You really can't undersell how powerful those abilities are. The only risk is constantly debuffing your own parties members by accident.

Mr. Neutron posted:

Fighter or ranger/cleric multiclass is also a good option. Hardly and penalties and great strengths.

Ranger Cleric dual class also has a ton of flexibility aside from needing 15 STR 15 DEX and 17 WIS at a minimum. By level 7 ranger you can have 2 pips in flail, hammer, mace, and two weapon style. By the time you get the ranger abilities back you can have 2 pips in shield and 3 in 2 weapon style and go nuts.

Oh, and Ranger/Cleric used to have all druid spells AND cleric spells but that got removed in the EE versions.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 13, 2019

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

If you found keldorn's powers underwhelming then go for the Lathander kit for your cleric. One of the best parts of the Helm kit is the free True Sight which is also one of the best things about Inquisitors (like Keldorn)

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

bike tory posted:

If you found keldorn's powers underwhelming then go for the Lathander kit for your cleric. One of the best parts of the Helm kit is the free True Sight which is also one of the best things about Inquisitors (like Keldorn)

Priest of helm would be so great if the sword ability didn't lock you out of spellcasting.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I'm replaying bg2 with a good aligned party and I'm remembering the problem I always used to have finding a thief worth a drat. I find Yoshimo very annoying. Jan just doesn't fit thematically with a paladin led party that boringly takes doing good seriously. Nalia fits fine but just can't cut it opening locks very often.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

OrthoTrot posted:

I'm replaying bg2 with a good aligned party and I'm remembering the problem I always used to have finding a thief worth a drat. I find Yoshimo very annoying. Jan just doesn't fit thematically with a paladin led party that boringly takes doing good seriously. Nalia fits fine but just can't cut it opening locks very often.

Both BG games have this problem, one of the reasons why Imoen was added in the last moments of development was that playtesters were frustrated by the lack of thief characters, especially if you wanted to have a good-aligned party. That's also why she uses the 'default' female portrait.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vichan posted:

Both BG games have this problem, one of the reasons why Imoen was added in the last moments of development was that playtesters were frustrated by the lack of thief characters, especially if you wanted to have a good-aligned party. That's also why she uses the 'default' female portrait.

Then players ended up using Imoen mainly as a mage, which is why she's presented that way by default in BG2 and why Nalia was added as a thief/mage because they were planning to kill off Imoen - Nalia was intended to straight up be Imoen's replacement.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zarfol posted:

Priest of helm would be so great if the sword ability didn't lock you out of spellcasting.

Yeah or even if you could unequip the weapon. It's still crazy powerful in BG1 and for a good chunk of BG2, at least until +3/+4 weapons become the norm.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I feel like with regards to bg2 its a problem that could be solved two ways I feel:

1. Rethink the basic fabric of the plot with regards to imoen's kidnap. It forces the player to either play with a party member for the majority of the game and then ditch them, which seems peculiarly heartless, or to devote the majority of the game to rescuing someone you then leave behind. For a game focused so much on replayability in different configurations the fact that the main plot relies on party composition leaves you either limited in your choices as a player or clicking through odd moments of cognitive dissonance.

2. Give Nalia two more thieving levels.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The game throws more than enough potions of master thievery at you to open any lock with Nalia. Lock picking hard caps at 100 skill points. Her detect traps is a bit more of a pain in the rear end.

I agree its really lovely to have to ditch someone who you've spent probably months befriendin and adventuring with, and who has fairly selflessly dedicated themselves to your very personal cause. Especially since you have to ditch them in the bottom of a supposedly inescapable maze.

The obvious way that they allowed this to happen "cleanly" is by having Yoshimo betray you and die, freeing up a party space. There's a reason why having him in the party makes the whole getting to Brynnlaw/into Spellhold parts so much easier. As much as a game like this can have an intended/canon party he's very obviously in it.

It would've been better to have Imoen rejoin you at the end of the maze, so you could've booted whatever party member with a bit of unique dialogue along the lines of "go catch a boat back to the mainland, we'll meet you at X". As a matter of fact I'm sure there's a mod to this effect?

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 14, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Heads up: There's a sale on D&D games right now on Steam [ https://store.steampowered.com/sale/dungeonsdragons/ ]

All of the Infinity Engine games are $5. NWN EE is $4, and some other various games are on sale (Lords of Waterdeep, Tomb of Annihilation, and Chronicle of Mystara)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Max Wilco posted:

Heads up: There's a sale on D&D games right now on Steam [ https://store.steampowered.com/sale/dungeonsdragons/ ]

All of the Infinity Engine games are $5. NWN EE is $4, and some other various games are on sale (Lords of Waterdeep, Tomb of Annihilation, and Chronicle of Mystara)

Speaking of the sale, I posted this in the Steam thread but if flew under the radar, then I remembered this thread exists. :v:

There was a bit of chatter there Baldur's Gate Enhanced and it triggered my "Reinstalling Deus Ex" response, so now I'm staring at the store page for The Complete Saga.

Is it worth it getting Complete (includes the enhanced versions of both 1 and 2 with their expansions and Siege of Dragonspear which I heard Good Things about) if I have both The Original Saga and BG2 Complete on GoG? (which don't seem to be on sale anymore? I can only find the enhanced editions).

It's dirt cheap over here, it's like 5 bucks for Complete in third world money.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 19, 2019

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Siege of Dragonspear is easily worth that much by itself, IMO.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Its worth it for aoe pickup alone

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of the sale, I posted this in the Steam thread but if flew under the radar, then I remembered this thread exists. :v:

There was a bit of chatter there Baldur's Gate Enhanced and it triggered my "Reinstalling Deus Ex" response, so now I'm staring at the store page for [url=https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/379/Baldurs_Gate_The_Complete_Saga/The Complete Saga.[/url]

Is it worth it getting Complete (includes the enhanced versions of both 1 and 2 with their expansions and Siege of Dragonspear which I heard Good Things about) if I have both The Original Saga and BG2 Complete on GoG? (which don't seem to be on sale anymore? I can only find the enhanced editions).

Absolutely yes. The BG series is still one of the best RPGs ever made and still looks and plays beautifully. Siege of Dragonspear is also fantastic.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Wow, that was crazy I didn't see that fireball coming at all! Thanks for raising me...

-Oh yeah, we got over to the temple and got you raised as soon as we could.
I mean we had to go to the inn and rest and go sell some loot, you know

Wait, how long was I dead??!

-just like a few days I dunno. We just carried your body around. The temples on a whole other map, dude.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

There was a bit of chatter there Baldur's Gate Enhanced and it triggered my "Reinstalling Deus Ex" response, so now I'm staring at the store page for The Complete Saga.

Speaking as someone who played the originals to death, and was expecting to like the EE, I was floored by how much I loved it. Being able to zoom in and out is excellent. The quick-loot bar is excellent, the maps are updated with waypoints that point out most things you're gonna care about, the UI is comprehensibly designed, and while Siege of Dragonspear is a very uneven experience it's overall a superb introduction to "tier 3" play to borrow a term from D&D 5e.

The scale of the entire experience--SoD included--is incredible and I cannot recommend it enough.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I will, however say: get EEkeeper and mod your savegame to give yourself a bag of holding, a potion case, a scroll case and an ammo belt (bottomless containers for their respective items) because there's a lot of stuff to pick up and lets get real nobody likes that part of the game in a day and age where we can install the game to the RAM on our phones. Also get the auto-find trap mod, because while inching forward waiting for the Rogue to make their Find Traps roll every six seconds is Very Tabletop its not exactly the most thrilling gameplay ever devised.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Not like I needed a lot of convincing, but I got the collection. Now to spend a couple hours looking at the character creation screen paralysed with indecision.

Willie Tomg posted:

I will, however say: get EEkeeper and mod your savegame to give yourself a bag of holding, a potion case, a scroll case and an ammo belt (bottomless containers for their respective items) because there's a lot of stuff to pick up and lets get real nobody likes that part of the game in a day and age where we can install the game to the RAM on our phones. Also get the auto-find trap mod, because while inching forward waiting for the Rogue to make their Find Traps roll every six seconds is Very Tabletop its not exactly the most thrilling gameplay ever devised.

Ah, awesome, I had something like that set up for disk BG2 back in the day, it helps a lot with unnecessary clutter, and the trap thing sounds like a lifesaver. [Has flashbacks to inching through Nashkell to avoid traps and getting one-shot by a Kobold arrow]

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
IDK, I find that by only picking up magical stuff I don't find myself overburdened very often, but I guess that depends on how often you go back to town.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Disgusted at this guy who doesn't pick up every single silver necklace and greenstone ring to sell for 1/100th the cost of a small healing potion. smdh....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
im not even sure if im kidding. brb; soulsearching