Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bananaquiter posted:

Wouldn't it be the Renew Your Vows daughter?

Either way the daughter you effectively sold to the devil would definitely have an axe to grind, it's the best theory I've seen so far.

It could also be Annie, but i''m leaning towards May for a couple of reasons:
1) May already existed at the time of the deal, whereas it was implied that Annie's existence had been negated by it.
2) In issue #5 of the latest run, there's a panel with Peter on the subway, and in the background there's a very noticeable little girl with brown hair & wearing red & blue. Every other person other than Peter's face is obscured or doesn't have the same level of detail.
3) They're putting out a True Believers reprint of What If? 105 right about now. It seems like most of the previous True Believer reprints tied into ongoing stories somehow. And if baby May is playing a role in ASM, reprinting that story does make some sense.

Granted it's mostly circumstantial.

They've also been acknowledging the marriage (and to a lesser extent the deal) on Marvel's promotional stuff. The fact Mephisto's been quite busy, both over in Champions and more notably with the Squadron Supreme in Avengers, makes it seem like he might be working on something big (as in, 'the next big event' big), so addressing OMD might actually come up - it kind of has to, if it's linewide event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Are any of the other War of the Realms books any good? I am just getting the main book, but maybe grab some of the trades.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dark elf strikeforce 1 was an issue long conversation between freyja and frank castle and the best tie in so far imo, the rest have been...serviceable

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

Dark elf strikeforce 1 was an issue long conversation between freyja and frank castle and the best tie in so far imo, the rest have been...serviceable

I love Frank in this whole thing. He's finally in a place where he can shoot without anyone complaining about it.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Spidey and the League of Realms #1 was some :3: Peter. It also looks to be engaging with the Angels of Heven, which is nice after they have only had minimal development since Angela's series, primarily reiterating that they are monstrous. Which they still are, but it's welcome to have another character move beyond that paradigm, hopefully. The villain of the piece should be a fun matchup too.

Giant-Man #1 is Leah Williams giving it both barrels:

https://twitter.com/blackfire5561/status/1128689919239622656

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Avengers tie in starring the Squadrom Supreme of America is an interesting take on the JLA. Doesn’t have much to do with the war besides seeing them fight some frost giants.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Three Giant-Men and a Baby.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Tulul posted:

Three Giant-Men and a Baby.

Yes this was the joke

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
What I loved about that tie-in was that as a reader I recognized their disguises as extraordinarily bad, and was prepared to suspend my disbelief and follow along, but then, surprise, the narrative also treats their disguises as very bad and they're recognized like halfway through the first issue because Williams treats her antagonists with a little bit of respect. It was fun and an unexpected little twist of a familiar bit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So something I was thinking about during the last few weeks.

Everyone's complaints about Game of Thrones season 8, it's more or less the exact same complaints that people had about World War Hulk

I mean, at the time that Planet Hulk came out, as much as people were enjoying the story of PH they were just waiting for Hulk to get back to Earth to smash the Illuminati.
And then when that happens they realise that Hulk smashing other heroes who are protecting innocent people isn't cathartic. It's just awful.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

I mean, at the time that Planet Hulk came out, as much as people were enjoying the story of PH they were just waiting for Hulk to get back to Earth to smash the Illuminati.
And then when that happens they realise that Hulk smashing other heroes who are protecting innocent people isn't cathartic. It's just awful.

I feel like the apex of that is during the X-Men miniseries where Hulk tears his way through the younger mutants, both teams of X-Men and Excalibur and Mercury points out that it sucks Hulk lost someone but they have an entire graveyard full of people they just lost so what it's proving. Of course then Hulk (not unjustified) points out Xavier is bad at his job and leaves.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

So something I was thinking about during the last few weeks.

Everyone's complaints about Game of Thrones season 8, it's more or less the exact same complaints that people had about World War Hulk

Wasn't the point with World Breaker Hulk that he just wanted the Illuminati in order to smash them into pulp? It always felt like to me they, the Illuminati, while doing their hero stuff protecting the people they were also kinda using them as metaphorical shields to protect themselves. Save for Strange who just went off to the Arctic and meditated the entire time.

poo poo even Zerathos, Spirit of Vengeance, looked right at Hulk and was like nah you're totally justified.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
World War Hulk is even better when you think about the Skrull who was posing as Black Bolt getting the poo poo beat out of him and having to not break character.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jiro posted:

Wasn't the point with World Breaker Hulk that he just wanted the Illuminati in order to smash them into pulp? It always felt like to me they, the Illuminati, while doing their hero stuff protecting the people they were also kinda using them as metaphorical shields to protect themselves. Save for Strange who just went off to the Arctic and meditated the entire time.

poo poo even Zerathos, Spirit of Vengeance, looked right at Hulk and was like nah you're totally justified.

Not sure about the first part.
Like Tony stopped hunting the New Avengers, promised amnesty to any illegal hero if they helped evacuate New York, and wanted to fight Hulk on his own.

With Reed he tried the same thing but the FF and Black Panther refused to leave Reed out to die.

Even Professor X who didn't actually vote to send Hulk into space was about to get his legs broke by the Hulk. And he was prepared to meet his fate with no resistance, it's just all his students volunteered to save his rear end.

The only person who got out of a beating was Nick Fury who just went super deep undercover.

As for Ghost Rider (not Johnny Blaze) being okay with the Hulk's actions, he's the Spirit of Vengeance, not the spirit of Justice.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
...cautious optimism?? of course i had that when west coast avengers was announced and kelly couldnt write gwen worth poo poo, so...

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1131226363187343362

e: now that I've read the solicit it sounds like it's gonna be just as bad as wca

site fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 22, 2019

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The only person capable of writing Gwenpool well is Chris Hastings. No one else seems to even understand what the character is about.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

...cautious optimism?? of course i had that when west coast avengers was announced and kelly couldnt write gwen worth poo poo, so...

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1131226363187343362

e: now that I've read the solicit it sounds like it's gonna be just as bad as wca

insane conspiracy theory: originally supposed to be a Domino series that got changed to Gwenpool because of Hickman taking over the X-Men line entirely :tinfoil:

actually, speaking of conspiracy theories and Jonathan Hickman's usurpation of the X Line, i wonder if the reason the Domino ongoing was cancelled and rebooted almost immediately as a miniseries was because of it, because Hotshots is scheduled to end right at as HOX and POX start

Alaois fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 22, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Darth Nat posted:

The only person capable of writing Gwenpool well is Chris Hastings. No one else seems to even understand what the character is about.

i swear to god no one at marvel has ever even read past the first arc of gwenpool. "she's gonna unmask spider-man! she wants superpowers!" she literally already gained superpowers in an arc where she fought an evil version of herself who unmasked spider-man you dipshits!!! the series ended with her telling spider-man, "hey im not gonna be that person, you can count on me" :ughh:

site fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 22, 2019

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Williams tweeted a little bit ago that the solicit is misleading, so, I don't know. I like her writing, so I'm willing to give her a chance, but I also agree that even writers as good as Kelly Thompson seem to have had a hard time following up on Hastings' take in a satisfying way .

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't think anyone could follow up on Hastings' version of Gwenpool in a satisfactory way (and I also say that as a big fan of Leah Williams and Kelly Thompson), which is unfortunate because on one hand it means the character doesn't really have legs in the greater Marvel universe and they're not just gonna let Gwenpool be its own self-contained series like Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix was where you don't have to worry about a new writer screwing up Guy Smith or Dead Girl because nobody else is gonna write em.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they should just make a new character instead of trying to tabula rasa her every time she shows up because they're all too stupid to figure out how to do what hastings did

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I feel like a big problem with Gwenpool is the association with Deadpool so that everyone just assumes that she's lol-so-random let's give her a landshark pet! when really she's not like that at all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that's another reason why i believe no one at marvel has read her book, because she meets dp she explicitly states she doesnt read his book because she doesnt like that kind of humor

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel Editor Jordan White crawls into my mentions: Gwen doesn't think time and reality manipulation are powers

Me: *post panels of Gwen calling them powers, lists off other things like conjuring narration boxes as physical objects, and grabbing onomatopoeia out of the air to conduct a silent heist*

Jordan: *disappears into the ether*

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

Marvel Editor Jordan White crawls into my mentions: Gwen doesn't think time and reality manipulation are powers

Me: *post panels of Gwen calling them powers, lists off other things like conjuring narration boxes as physical objects, and grabbing onomatopoeia out of the air to conduct a silent heist*

Jordan: *disappears into the ether*

hey now

Jordan White is just in charge of ruining the X line he has nothing to do with ruining Gwenpool

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
jordan was literally the supervising editor for hasting's entire run but never apparently loving read the book

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

site posted:

jordan was literally the supervising editor for hasting's entire run but never apparently loving read the book

I mean that's probably for the best, right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Worth reading Williams' whole thread on Gwenpool:
https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1131234840500723712

The Question IRL posted:

Not sure about the first part.
Like Tony stopped hunting the New Avengers, promised amnesty to any illegal hero if they helped evacuate New York, and wanted to fight Hulk on his own.

With Reed he tried the same thing but the FF and Black Panther refused to leave Reed out to die.

Even Professor X who didn't actually vote to send Hulk into space was about to get his legs broke by the Hulk. And he was prepared to meet his fate with no resistance, it's just all his students volunteered to save his rear end.

The only person who got out of a beating was Nick Fury who just went super deep undercover.

As for Ghost Rider (not Johnny Blaze) being okay with the Hulk's actions, he's the Spirit of Vengeance, not the spirit of Justice.

So did anything come of this? I mean, I understand that the New Avengers stayed anti-registration, but I guess at least some of the characters would have gone along with this. I mean, Spider-Man was in the middle of Back In Black at the time, so it would have made sense for him to cash that in so Aunt May could get proper medical care, but of course they'd literally unmasked him to set up One More Day, so that obviously didn't happen.

I guess that was basically just an excuse for letting Antireg heroes stop being fugitives.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1131247182936457216

well leah seems to be doing a lot of legwork on twitter allaying fears but given everything non-hastings so far i still cant help but feel like im being set up

LGD posted:

I mean that's probably for the best, right?

i mean, up until they cancelled hastings' book yeah i guess lol

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not a fan of Gwenpool's powerset so I liked her much more in West Coast Avengers than what I saw posted of her own book. Some things just don't play right when introduced to the larger shared universe. And that's fine. Otherwise as soon as the threat showed up Gwenpool could just push them off panel into the white nothingness between the pages. If she does that in a group book the story is lame and if she doesn't then she's dumb for not using her powers. That's why it's necessary to neuter that stuff outside of her solo stories. The fact that her powers only work in her solo books can even be part of her meta powerset.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hastings literally made it a point that she is unable to do that even in her own book due to editorial control

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I gave up on WCA when it had Gwenpool make out with Quentin Quire which is a crime I will never forgive Kelly Thompson for.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

I gave up on WCA when it had Gwenpool make out with Quentin Quire which is a crime I will never forgive Kelly Thompson for.

hard same

some good news

quote:

Have you come across any X-Men in your writing that have turned out to be far more intriguing to work on than you originally thought? And can we expect to be introduced to a lot of new mutants during the dual miniseries, or just a few?

Generally, I don't like to make up a bunch of new characters when I take over a book at Marvel. Sure, there are times when a story I'm telling needs a certain something and I have to, but for the most part, I kind of want to write the pre-existing characters.

That's especially true with X-Men because there are already so many of them and, well, I've waited my whole life to write Goldballs.

https://www.cbr.com/jonathan-hickman-house-of-x-powers-of-x-interview/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That interviewer is not very good. Why in the world would they think Hickman would answer specific plot related questions like that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Quentin Quire is easily a top 5 post Claremont mutant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Quote/ =edit

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Worth reading Williams' whole thread on Gwenpool:
https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1131234840500723712

So did anything come of this? I mean, I understand that the New Avengers stayed anti-registration, but I guess at least some of the characters would have gone along with this. I mean, Spider-Man was in the middle of Back In Black at the time, so it would have made sense for him to cash that in so Aunt May could get proper medical care, but of course they'd literally unmasked him to set up One More Day, so that obviously didn't happen.

I guess that was basically just an excuse for letting Antireg heroes stop being fugitives.

It was more intended as a truce where they wouldn't arrest anyone who helped out evacuating New York.
But even after the book their did seem to be much less tension between Tony's Mighty Avengers and Luke Cage's New Avengers.

Which in some ways makes sense.
In Millar's original pitch for Civil War the Hulk was supposed to invade Earth in the second act so everyone would stop fighting and team up to fight him and his legion of bastard half alien/ half Hulk children.
For what it is worth, Paks original vision for WWH was a bit different too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

That interviewer is not very good. Why in the world would they think Hickman would answer specific plot related questions like that?

Because it’s CBR and lobbing softballs is all they can manage.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

It was bad. It’s like they threw some big X-Fan a bone, and let him interview Hickman. They just threw out a bunch of speculation, and asked about specific characters. Hickman did his best to salvage the interview by talking about the increased page count, data sheets, and fan interpretation of his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Skwirl posted:

Quentin Quire is easily a top 5 post Claremont mutant.

What a profoundly sad judgement on the state of post Claremont mutants that that self-absorbed school shooter still makes the top 5.