Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

A SOF Marine posted:

Also, gently caress Lake Constance and that trail forfuckingever.

If one of my friends gets a little overconfident about their athletic abilities I'm going to take them out to Lake Constance.

I did it with a friend that's into ultra marathons so we pretty much hauled rear end all the way up and back down. No breaks other than to drink a beer at the top. I've never been so thoroughly broken off in my life. Spent the next week recovering.

It's not even really a "trail", it's just following red tags up a mountain. The top portion was under snow and a couple times I thought I was going to fall to my death if I wasn't careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

Mustang posted:

If one of my friends gets a little overconfident about their athletic abilities I'm going to take them out to Lake Constance.

I did it with a friend that's into ultra marathons so we pretty much hauled rear end all the way up and back down. No breaks other than to drink a beer at the top. I've never been so thoroughly broken off in my life. Spent the next week recovering.

It's not even really a "trail", it's just following red tags up a mountain. The top portion was under snow and a couple times I thought I was going to fall to my death if I wasn't careful.

The only thing I can think of over there that would be worse is actually climbing Constance. Either route is terrible.

Good stuff, either way. Glad to see the Olympics get some love. If you haven’t done it, Grand Ridge in August is pretty fantastic, if a bit tame. Backpacking into Lacrosse Basin is amazing as well. I think I’ll do Marmot pass next weekend since it’s clear.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The marmot pass photos were from last August, I haven't been up this year. Just posted those because I don't think I had shared those yet.

The top part of the trail up to marmot pass I think probably has some snow still.

The others were this month though.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My dad lives in Port Angeles and I'm hoping to get a couple good hikes in this summer up there. Grey Wolf Ridge looks fun

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
One from Yellowstone today.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

god drat dude

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

:drat:

So I'm trying to get back into archery after a short hiatus, and need to re-fletch most of my arrows. I'm not in the mood to pay someone to do it, and I've seen fletching jigs on amazon for cheap-ish...are there any I should consider/avoid? Last time I took them to a shop about half of them ended up flying off (and that's where I stopped shooting), so I'd rather just do it myself than have someone else half-rear end it (I'm fully capable of doing that myself :v: )

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

goddamn

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Thanks yes it was great. That herd came bumbling through parallel to the west entrance road.

I asked the park ranger the odds of seeing bison. She goes, “If someone told me they didn’t see any, I’d ask if they were even drove in.”

Sure enough, I saw three different groups on top of a few moose and elk sightings.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Found the one fairly accessible trail in Grand Teton - Taggart Lake. It’s real pretty here

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
One more -- proper photo.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh that is real nice

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ok usually I'm pretty good at checking to make sure I got the shot. I don't know why last night this went unnoticed. Panorama with not enough sky. feels crowded. Will have to re-do in the morning

In addition to not having enough sky, there isn't enough room to fix distortion without cropping into the peaks.

edit:

bloops fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 2, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Ah yeah I see what you mean about the lack of sky. I've only done one panorama ever so far so I'm not sure what tips to give :v: I just wide angle everything.

Do you have some kind of leveling base on your tripod? I was relatively lucky in the one that I did in that it happened to sit pretty level when I did it. I'd be all for a basic primer on panos.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Ah yeah I see what you mean about the lack of sky. I've only done one panorama ever so far so I'm not sure what tips to give :v: I just wide angle everything.

Do you have some kind of leveling base on your tripod? I was relatively lucky in the one that I did in that it happened to sit pretty level when I did it. I'd be all for a basic primer on panos.

Did that poo poo handheld! Image stabilization in my camera and the lens. Doesn't fully replace a tripod but it's about an 80% solution.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Nice! I'd like to learn more about the details of them. Not because I want to go out of my way to do more, but just to have another tool in the toolbox.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Nice! I'd like to learn more about the details of them. Not because I want to go out of my way to do more, but just to have another tool in the toolbox.

Shoot vertical with about 60% overlap between images and let photoshop do the rest

Alternatively, let the camera do it in panorama mode and be set up with a manual exposure.

I will also recommend that everyone puts down the wide angle lens for landscape. Going wide is an impulse that should be defeated. Subject and background -- shooting a 16mm on a large landscape makes big things small and unimpressive. Got to be very close for a wide angle lens to be playing to its strengths.

My 55-200mm Fuji lens has been stuck on my camera for 3 days now.

bloops fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 2, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Sorry I'm spamming it feels like. Slow going finding the decent ones worth sharing. One from last night. Grand Teton proper.

I'm shooting these on a Fuji X-H1 and either the 16-55mm 2.8 or 55-200mm.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I actually just got an Olympus 12-40 Pro lens last month, which seems to be a good complement to my 7-14 wide angle. I used it for a couple shots in last month's Utah trip that wouldn't have been as nice with the wide angle. Of course now I need to shop around for a good water resistant case for it. I tend to gravitate towards the wide angle still, but that's also a result of the terrain I like hiking in. And I do prefer getting up close and getting a decent amount of foreground in. My whole Waldo shtick means I can't zoom in on distant terrain features.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 3, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea I think there's an interesting discussion to be had around lens choice for landscape/travel. For me, it revolves around how to make the frame impactful as possible. Like the intent should be for someone to look exactly where I want them to and completely get what the subject is.

As I have a few years of work to go through, I'm seeing very obvious tendencies in what interests me and how I frame shots. That's pretty fascinating to see how that organically developed.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I've been trying to focus more on that as well lately. Using the hi-res mode and shooting off a tripod has forced me to think more about composition and all that, rather than just snapping a shitload of pics and sorting it out when I get home. The end result is less photos, but the folder size is much higher.

My tendency is still on getting up close with the landscape. Plus with things like glacial lakes and canyons, it gets really difficult to get what you want in the frame without a wide angle. And in a lot of those cases, there's no room to back up. You clear the tree line/scree slope and there you are.

For this shot I actually swapped to the 12-40 since, like you said, it worked out better to focus on the terrain feature that I wanted to, uh, feature.

I do tend to find that the wide angle works better when you're at the bottom of something looking up (shores of a glacial lake or a canyon), rather than on top of something looking down. Much easier to get close up that way. This shot was cranked all the way as wide as I could get. There wasn't a specific element I was going for, just the sweep of the mountains behind the lake, and the snow dust being blown across the ice in the foreground. Wouldn't have been able to get this one without a wide angle.

Honestly though I might end up setting the 12-40 as the primary on my camera and swapping the 7-14 on an as-needed basis. If nothing else, it would make it a lot easier to get candid wildlife shots without resorting to a crude digital zoom from my phone. This one isn't the best photo quality but bahgawd it's one of my favorites just because it makes me laugh.

The one thing I really kick myself for in past years is shooting JPG only and not RAW. Was more concerned with the hiking and getting out there aspect than the photography aspect. Really wish I could have some of my old shots in RAW just to tweak a bit. Live and learn though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I think that Canyon poo poo is great but would be stronger if the bottom left piece was either framed out or cropped. You’re right in that I know what the intent is, that piece is distracting.

And yea a 24-80 equivalent would probably cover so much. Fujifilm is possibly released a 24-100 equivalent in the fall. I would drop my 16-55 in a heart beat for that if the image quality and weight is there.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, I just wouldn't be able to fit Waldo in the shot otherwise, that's the hamstring. Always have to have some degree of foreground for that, even though it compromises the overall effect some. There's never a great way to fit Waldo in on cliff edges unless if I'm going for the straight plunging look.

Olympus also has a 12-100 lens with optical stabilization that works cumulatively with the in-body stabilization, but it's also like $1000. It's also f4 instead of f2.8, but that's not huge since I don't often shoot wide open. I was able to get the 12-40 for $400 new via greentoe.com, so I figure I'll run it a while and see how it works.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I'm setting this as my new background :stwoon:

I'm doing some freediving photography tomorrow, hopefully I'll have something to contribute afterwards.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Spent 20 minutes in extremely close proximity to bighorn sheep. Males, females, and their newborn offspring. What a wild experience that just freaking happened while I was taking a drive at the National Elk Refuge before heading off to the airport.

bloops fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 3, 2019

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Pictures I took a couple of weeks ago in the San Luis Valley, Colorado

Deer in front of Great Sand Dunes NP

Elk

Crestone, Colorado

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Spent 20 minutes in extremely close proximity to bighorn sheep. Males, females, and their newborn offspring. What a wild experience that just freaking happened while I was taking a drive at the National Elk Refuge before heading off to the airport.

Dang they're looking scruffy. The deer are the same at RMNP right now, still in the midst of shedding their winter coats.

MonkeyWash are your pics meant to show up small like that? They're only coming through about about avatar sized.

Yesterday went up with the gf to RMNP. I had the 12-40 lens mounted and the 7-14 in my pack. Was really gonna try and use it and get some normal zoom lens shots rather than out of the wide angle. But uh, welp.

Showed up to Emerald lake and though it wasn't super crowded upon arrival, it was still crowded enough that I had to skirt around some to find a shot angle I hadn't taken before. Since the shot I took last month was from a sort of hill on the southeast side, we skirted around to the north side of the lake. Found a spot, pulled out my camera, zoomed the 12-40 all the way out and said poo poo, this isn't close to wide enough. Had to swap on the 7-14.

As we were leaving, there was some odd bit of timing that had the main trail terminus on the east side of the lake completely clear of people. So of course, had to climb up on the rocks there and get the "classic" angle on Emerald lake. Very surprised that there was that big of a gap in people that let me pull this off.

After that we went back to Dream lake and took the side trail over to Lake Haiyaha. I had been trying to think of a different spot to take a shot from here, because the shot I took last month had the problem that holly bloopers was talking about with wide angle lenses, that being too much empty space at the center of the shot. I thought for sure I'd be switching lenses for this one, since it's a larger lake than Emerald, and so the terrain features are further behind. By the time we arrived, the wind was starting to kick up and we were both starting to get cold. I stumbled around between the rocks a bit, a couple times post holing up to my groins (was wearing spikes rather than snowshoes.) Was trying to find a spot where I could get something interesting in the foreground. Found this spot between the rocks that looked interesting and took only a few shots before we decided to pack it up and roll back to the trailhead. Out of the shots I took yesterday, this one is my favorite.

So yeah, I tried, but ended up just using the wide angle lens at its widest for most shots. (All of the above are at 7mm.) Probably a combination of the terrain itself and being used to looking for shot angles with the wide angle in mind rather than a standard zoom. Still gonna keep the 12-40 and look for opportunities to use it.

Also took some identical shots between the hi-res mode and standard, in order to test how various programs do resizing. If I can find something that will upsize my 20mp shots to 80mp like the hi-res puts out in a good detailed manner, it would save me from carrying a tripod on a lot of hikes. Will report my results with some screencaps once I've messed with it a bit.

edit: resizing results. This is some total pixel peeping nonsense. My only interest/concern is that I'd like to have the best detail possible for a really big print.

So, my Olympus EM1 Mk2 normally takes 20mp images, but can take 80mp images of static subjects when on a tripod, via pixel shift tech (takes 8 images in rapid succession, shifts the sensor pixel by half a pixel each time, combines it all.) Apart from making a much larger image, it has the added benefit of reduced noise and increased dynamic range. Normally when taking a hi-res image, it takes three images: the hi-res RAW file, a renamed RAW file (ORI format, can be edited when renamed to ORF) that's basically a 20mp image that's the first image out of the 8-shot series, and a 50mp jpg file. These are all crops of small areas of the images.

First test was me comparing an older hi-res shot to the ORI file when upsized.

Original hi-res:

ORI 20mp file upsized by Topaz Gigapixel (free trial version.) Also had similar results when upsizing in Lightroom and photoshop.

Looking at those, I thought to myself, wtf, that's a lot of noise increase. Then I remembered that the hi-res mode shots are limited to 1600 ISO maximum, so the ORI file would have been 1600 ISO as well. Which under normal circumstances is way high for broad daylight. So with that in mind, I took some identical shots yesterday between hi-res and normal shooting mode. Same position off the tripod, only changing modes. That way the normal shooting mode would have normal auto ISO and not go way high.

Original hi-res:

Lightroom resize of the normal shooting mode shot:

Topaz Gigapixel resize of the normal shooting mode shot: (set to medium noise reduction in the program)

Topaz Gigapixel resize, medium-high noise reduction

Topaz Gigapixel resize, high noise reduction

Here it looks like the gap narrows a lot more with ISO being more normal in the normal-res original shot (was at the camera minimum of 200.) But the higher the noise reduction level, the more blobby the trees and skiers in the distance look.

Edit2 of another area of that photo where the difference looked more noticeable to me, mainly in the jet trails:

Original hires:

Gigapixel resize, med noise reduction

Gigapixel resize, med-high noise reduction

Gigapixel resize, high noise reduction

There's probably a whole lot of nuance I'm missing here in terms of sharpening settings and the like. It probably doesn't make a big difference on an actual print and I'm likely overthinking minuscule details :suicide: That said, I'm not convinced enough to stop carrying my tripod. It could be a useful backup in cases where the hi-res mode doesn't do well though, like choppy water and the like.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 6, 2019

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

MRC48B posted:

All the ones in the midwest. Indiana Dunes, Isle Royale up in michican, and Cuyahoga in ohio.

It's weird thinking Isle Royale is in MI because I took one of the ferries that leaves from MN, but I guess it technically is. It's a great place to visit. Lots of moose and such to see. Used to be a wolf pack but I guess climate change has made them be so isolated they're down to like two inbred relatives. Heard them howling a couple nights when I was there ~16 years ago.

I'm hoping to get up to Cuyahoga at some point this summer with the GF

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Got film back from last week's trip.

I really like this one and I can't quite put my finger on why.

Not sure if this was Portra 400 or Pro Image 100. I should be better about documenting shots and film types.

Lol not film

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

This one is my favorite of those three. Love the clouds melding into the mountain.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm going to take a controversial stance here and declare that canyons are cool.

(I've really got to get a real camera)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Went diving off of Key Largo yesterday, got plenty of pics and video to show for it :)

quote:

I got a chance to go out on 2 charters yesterday, with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo! Dive sites were the Spiegel Grove, the Benwood, Christ of the Abyss, and Dry Rock (near Christ of the Abyss). My camera battery ran out after the 3rd dive, but I still managed to get some good pics from the first 3 :)

(former USS) Spiegel Grove:

Our guide took us through some pretty cool swim-throughs, and I got to look into the dark abyss of the hallways we didn't go down:

Her deck railing, silhouetted against the morning sun:

One of the new crew, staking their claim to part of the deck:

Our next stop was the Benwood, which sank after ramming another ship while trying to dodge U-boats in the fog/at night.

Look real close here: there's a scorpionfish almost dead-center of the pic.

A squirrelfish:

I've heard these called both trumpetfish and pipefish.

Last stop: finding Jesus, and being warned not to touch him because it burns*

*not because we're divers and therefore unholy, but there's supposedly fire coral growing on him instead

I like corals, so I guess you could say I'm a fan :dadjoke:

A soft coral mound:

My dive buddy and his dad, upon finding Jesus:

A striped burrfish that thought my camera was interesting :3:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Those are amazing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Water clarity is amazing to get that much light that deep. Wow.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just got out of the water in Key West. Vis is maybe thirty feet.

Bleh.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dive photography is like next level commitment

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dive photography is like next level commitment

I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t love it, but you’re right. Certifications, dive gear, boats, ocean weather, and other divers all conspire against you, and that’s before you consider the various injuries you can sustain underwater or gear theft/loss to the ocean. It’s my job (I dive for NPS, and I’m a divemaster on the side) but you have to keep a healthy respect for anything that could go wrong and end your life, your buddy’s life, leave you/your buddy maimed, or getting dropped into an underwater crisis out of nowhere and you have to be the one to rescue someone.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Someday I'll be near a body of water large enough to have a good time while getting my advanced cert.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Whats a good upper in 300 black out with 16 inch barrel? I was looking at aeroprecision but they're out of stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Any reccs for a canteen and dog bowl in one?