Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
shovel knight is one of the few games ive ever bothered to 100%

some of the challenges are really fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Heath posted:

Update your firmware.

Yeah, the 8bitdo controller has some firmware updates on their web site, that may help things.

I remember getting stuck on a hard mode stage in Slime-san forever, then my 8bitdo controller came in and I beat it first try with that. It was also a treat playing the Romancing SaGa 2 remake with it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
About to be on my FOURTH left joycon on my more-or-less launch (April 2017) Switch because of stick drift. I realize that we're a rough case because I let a young child play with it often, but this is loving ridiculous. Who else but young children are Nintendo controllers supposed to be designed for? Was about to jump on the eShop and buy some games on sale but gently caress, I don't feel like giving them another dime right now.

I really just want some official statement from them to the effect of "Our bad, we recognize this was our fault and we're working on a new design to fix the issue."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Spray contact cleaner under the stick. It's drifting because of grime stuck underneath it, 100%.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I can't believe that the latest development to happen in the F-ZERO franchise was that insane Medley on Smash's soundtrack. Some may like it, but I find it just awful.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Heath posted:

Spray contact cleaner under the stick. It's drifting because of grime stuck underneath it, 100%.

I've been doing that. My experience has been that this temporarily fixes it for a little while when it first starts happening, but eventually nothing helps. It's ridiculous that the design even allows it to happen. Dirt? Grime? On a portable device used by children? Nah, never happens.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

This isn’t the case. It ends up drifting because of weak components that wear down with use.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

extremely late to OutRun talk but for people still keeping the 360 hooked up for Outrun 2 or whatever, Coast 2 Coast (which includes Outrun 2) is pretty much classified as abandonware and the first few google results basically lead to the free PC version. Normally wouldn't endorse that but the license for those cars is dead and it can't even be sold on Steam anymore. Anyway still hoping OutRun gets another game someday but I'm still enormously satisfied with the 3DS/Switch versions which run perfect as hell.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SeANMcBAY posted:

This isn’t the case. It ends up drifting because of weak components that wear down with use.

I use mine every single day and I've never experienced any drift. And I've disassembled the joycons twice to install case mods.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Heath posted:

I use mine every single day and I've never experienced any drift. And I've disassembled the joycons twice to install case mods.

I don't mean to be rude but your point is?

Like you've got two alternatives

1) It's a great design and everyone complaining about this is just doing it wrong. Except you.

2) It's a lovely design and you've gotten lucky.

I mean imagine it's 2008 and I'm bitching about my red-ring Xbox 360 and you're like "Mine's working just fine!"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

Someone in this thread had a pretty good breakdown of what really caused it a week or so ago. I’ll try to find it and quote it here.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Imagined posted:

I mean imagine it's 2008 and I'm bitching about my red-ring Xbox 360 and you're like "Mine's working just fine!"
Agreed. Both of you should stop posting.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Imagined posted:

Look here rear end in a top hat, just because this drifting issue is reported all over the internet doesn't mean it's a wide-spread issue. No sir, because I personally haven't experienced this issue it isn't a problem.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I can't believe that the latest development to happen in the F-ZERO franchise was that insane Medley on Smash's soundtrack. Some may like it, but I find it just awful.

i loving love that medley because it's basically a modern kamen rider OP but with english lyrics

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I read people talk about drifting joycons and idk what they mean. Is that like when you turned on the n64 with the analog stick tilted and it would set that as the neutral position? Because 1) I've never had anything like that happen on my joycons and 2) that's a great way to rank up in perfect dark with the "distance" stat. just run in circles for a long time.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

i loving love that medley because it's basically a modern kamen rider OP but with english lyrics

I read the lyrics. They would make a good Heavy Metal comic, but don't know what Kamen Rider is. Still, F-Zero (SNES) has such an amazing soundtrack. I can't believe that composer was pretty much on her first, if only, soundtrack. Silence is probably my favorite track, and the one I set whenever I make an Arena in-game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Imagined posted:

I don't mean to be rude but your point is?

Like you've got two alternatives

1) It's a great design and everyone complaining about this is just doing it wrong. Except you.

2) It's a lovely design and you've gotten lucky.

There's a strong correlation between people who experience drift issues and people whose kids play the console. Adults who own one don't seem to experience the problem nearly as frequently as people who allow their kids to use it. Even among the families I've known who keep one for themselves and one for their kids, the problem always occurs on the one the kids use. 90% of the time if something fucks up with a Nintendo product you can make it work again with some proper cleaning, and that's been true for 30 years.

The 360 was legitimately a piece of poo poo but that's an entire console with a lot more points of failure than a single component of a joycon. If you're on your fourth pair, it isn't just luck of the draw.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Heath posted:

There's a strong correlation between people who experience drift issues and people whose kids play the console. Adults who own one don't seem to experience the problem nearly as frequently as people who allow their kids to use it. Even among the families I've known who keep one for themselves and one for their kids, the problem always occurs on the one the kids use. 90% of the time if something fucks up with a Nintendo product you can make it work again with some proper cleaning, and that's been true for 30 years.

The 360 was legitimately a piece of poo poo but that's an entire console with a lot more points of failure than a single component of a joycon. If you're on your fourth pair, it isn't just luck of the draw.

A Nintendo console not being able to handle kids using it then it’s a massive flaw.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Do it now at what will be the lowest price ever or forever hold your peace.

How much longer is it on sale for?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i've had joycon drift issues twice and i'm a childless goon :shrug:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Never for me, launch console

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

My Splatoon bundle left joycon has had drift a few times now. I use WD-40 contact cleaner but it inevitably comes back again after a few weeks.

No kids.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

A Nintendo console not being able to handle kids using it then it’s a massive flaw.

Kids should never touch my grown up device

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Anyone pick up Nidhogg 2 on sale?
Add me? SW 8405 8512 2324

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's a bit of a scene being caused in Japan over the Joycon because some big shopping site got so many reports/returns over defective Joycon that they started posting warnings to buy warranties because of how faulty they can be. It looks like more of a widespread problem.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Maybe they are poo poo, I dunno. Mine are fine.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Drifting is an issue but the real issue is the desyncing\weak Bluetooth ones. I had to return both sets of mine because of this.

Psa, if you cant use your joycons undocked past 5 feet, that's a flaw, call Nintendo and demand new ones. I only say this because I know people who still deal with it despite it being the one thing Nintendo will move on. They'll ask you to trouble shoot your setup for interference, but it's the joycons, don't let up, get them fixed for free.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Heath posted:

There's a strong correlation between people who experience drift issues and people whose kids play the console.

Tell me more about this child's toy not being robust enough to handle it's target audience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Never for me, launch console

Same. AND my kid plays it too

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I nearly forgot about the tetris challenge thinger!!

first game in, I got four points. on my way :grin:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

Drifting is an issue but the real issue is the desyncing\weak Bluetooth ones. I had to return both sets of mine because of this.

Psa, if you cant use your joycons undocked past 5 feet, that's a flaw, call Nintendo and demand new ones. I only say this because I know people who still deal with it despite it being the one thing Nintendo will move on. They'll ask you to trouble shoot your setup for interference, but it's the joycons, don't let up, get them fixed for free.

I don't have a tv so I only play in handheld,so it wouldn't really matter to me if they had weak Bluetooth

I have had to replace one joycon tho, cleaning did not work for the drift issue

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bulgakov posted:

I nearly forgot about the tetris challenge thinger!!

first game in, I got four points. on my way :grin:
The cool thing about grinding Tetris 99 is that even when you're not good it's fun. Unless you're absolutely trash it shouldn't take more than an hour to unlock. I hope they do more of these.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

s.i.r.e. posted:

Tell me more about this child's toy not being robust enough to handle it's target audience.

Children don't wash their hands, ever, unless they're told to. They'll drink soda and let it dribble onto their hands and then smear it all over the drat thing. When we were kids I know drat near all of us would take a big swig of Mountain Dew or whatever the gently caress and then blow spit all over the inside of a Nintendo game that didn't work. It's been true forever. If you've ever worked in a game store, you've seen how loving gunky literally everything in the hands of children is.

Maybe the Joycons are poo poo, but I don't know exactly what Nintendo can do about it besides a total hardware revision (which is what they've done in the past, a la NES 2.) It would be nice if you could disassemble the Joycons more easily for proper cleaning, but that has its own problems.

It is totally bogus how much they charge to fix the loving things, I will give you that

Edit: most of my intuition about this probably comes from the latent PTSD of trying to diagnose a broken PS2, opening it and finding it literally filled with those little gold-colored roaches that infest everything in Florida, or the time I opened a copy of Mega Man 2 and found it also full of roaches, or the man who brought in a red ringing 360 that smelled funny when it was on (it was full of roaches)

Heath fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 19, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

22nd. I just grabbed it again and I forgot how much I loved this game. The ability to play it with these NES controllers rules too and feels right.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Till the 22nd I think.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone already started on the D3 season that can powerlevel a pal and save me the couple of hours to get going?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

American McGay posted:

The cool thing about grinding Tetris 99 is that even when you're not good it's fun. Unless you're absolutely trash it shouldn't take more than an hour to unlock. I hope they do more of these.

yeh it's great. I swear the extremely deeply engrained gameboy noise and visuals free my mind up to think about playing slightly less poorly :hmmyes:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

hello, is this nintendo 911???

*scratchy "what's your emergency" over phone*

I need to report my own murder at the hands of some vicious tetris masters!!! :negative:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bulgakov posted:

hello, is this nintendo 911???

*scratchy "what's your emergency" over phone*

I need to report my own murder at the hands of some vicious tetris masters!!! :negative:

I just had a game where no one was attacking me so I decided to set it to random and the person the game locked onto ended up filling my screen with junk. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I have a launch switch that I've played pretty regularly over the last couple of years and I've never had a problem with my joycons, I guess I'm lucky.

Not lucky enough for F-Zero SX though.