Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It's not really meant to be an office chair (it says task chair), and that's not how I'm using it. It's meant be something I use at the computer at home, but I don't sit in front of it for hours at a time. If I was doing that, I'd have something more typical of an office chair (like a full back), but I prefer the look of this one. I don't want something that looks like a computer chair, if that makes sense.

There's plenty of low back task chairs out there for wayyy more money. This one is about 14-14.5 inches from the seat to the top of the back. Something like an Eames task arm chair is 14.75".

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think that's a desk that it's sitting on, so it can't be done.

It definitely does not.

This is what I would do

This is the kind of thinking that makes the knockoff furniture market so prolific. People love to think they're pulling one over on the man, like using this One Weird Trick that furniture manufactures hate, when in reality they're just buying a low-quality product that's advertised to them as being 'just as good as the original', and people buy into it because they want to believe they're being a ~clever consumer~.

Sure, a knockoff will be 'functionally identical' in the sense that your rear end still goes on it, but its made with lower-quality material, little attention to detail, nonexistent quality control, a lack of skilled craftsmanship, cheaper joints, shortcuts in the frame, and with essentially a planned obsolescence which results in people throwing them away and shelling out more money year after year replacing them. Nobody is making knockoff furniture with the same care or detail because that costs money and they're in it for the cheap sale in a race to the bottom against everyone else doing the same thing.

If you discount those things then yeah, I guess they're otherwise 'functionally identical'.

Also, here's why the Emeco costs more than some factory-churned knockoff garbage: https://vimeo.com/176436988

There is -absolutely- a difference. We had an original 10-06 armchair at my grandparents' place while I was growing up. Had to be 30 years older than me, and absolutely bombproof. My cousin still has it almost 40 years later, and the total maintenance requirements over that time have been replacing the vinyl on the seat and arms once in the mid 1990's.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 19, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m going to need some kitchen cabinets soon and saw that there’s companies that make doors and drawer fronts to fit on IKEA cabinets.

Are ikea cabinets worth getting and spending extra money on doors? Is it that hard to find plywood cabinets?

I’m trying to find ways to save on a remodeling but chipboard doesn’t seem like a good long term move.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Snowy posted:

Is it that hard to find plywood cabinets?
They sell them at Home Depot, so I would guess not.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

They sell them at Home Depot, so I would guess not.

Ok I mean price and quality wise are the ikea cabinets worth getting over plywood Home Depot cabinets?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would not use particle board in a kitchen or anywhere else that's exposed to heat and humidity. Sure, as long as the veneer/paint is intact they'll be fine, but any cracks in that protection will gradually allow the underlying material to turn to mush.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok that’s what I was afraid of, thank you! :)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

Ok I mean price and quality wise are the ikea cabinets worth getting over plywood Home Depot cabinets?

I just went through this and everything I read and everyone I talked to said yes, the slightly more expensive stuff was worth it. Personally, I went with Cabinets to Go rather than Ikea, but you want something with a good, heavy sealant on it and a lot of people weren't satisfied with what was on the lowest tier HD stuff.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would not use particle board in a kitchen or anywhere else that's exposed to heat and humidity. Sure, as long as the veneer/paint is intact they'll be fine, but any cracks in that protection will gradually allow the underlying material to turn to mush.

Snowy posted:

Ok that’s what I was afraid of, thank you! :)

Equally, and as much as I hate the stuff, almost every kitchen in the UK is carcassed out of chipboard with MDF doors and they do well enough for the practice to continue unabated. The chipboard itself tends to have exposed ends where it can't be seen and doesn't rot out.

It infuriates me but the three options seem to be a) "contractor" grade chipboard, b) run the gauntlet of "bespoke" kitchens where the salespeople will grind you for every penny, c) go direct to an actual cabinetmaker and pay the vast amount of money that is required for that much of an expert's time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
We have melamine cabinets in our pantry/mud room right off the kitchen (which gets a little steamy at times when I cook), and also in the laundry room, and they still are doing fine after a decade.

One thing that’s not often considered, though, is that particle board is noticeably heavier than plywood.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Equally, and as much as I hate the stuff, almost every kitchen in the UK is carcassed out of chipboard with MDF doors and they do well enough for the practice to continue unabated. The chipboard itself tends to have exposed ends where it can't be seen and doesn't rot out.

It infuriates me but the three options seem to be a) "contractor" grade chipboard, b) run the gauntlet of "bespoke" kitchens where the salespeople will grind you for every penny, c) go direct to an actual cabinetmaker and pay the vast amount of money that is required for that much of an expert's time.

d) power up that tinkertoy tablesaw you got and go hogwild. Get tons of goontips, post progress pics. Next steps?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

d) power up that tinkertoy tablesaw you got and go hogwild. Get tons of goontips, post progress pics. Next steps?

That is the plan. Also excuse me it's a Fisher Price Carpentry Princess table saw.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

That is the plan. Also excuse me it's a Fisher Price Carpentry Princess table saw.

:discourse: Much more accessorizable model.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Check this time capsule out.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2973-Duke-of-Windsor_East-Point_GA_30344_M50268-85869

We now know where Cookie Monster was born. And Elmo too.

In all seriousness, I love this house and would love to modernize it while keeping touches of that era. The cabinetry and doors would cost a fortune to get comparable 'modern' replacements for. The kitchen carpet has to go though.

edit: Rowlf. One of the guest rooms carpet is his color. It's a Muppet fur house.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 19, 2019

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I can't decide whether the identical cabinetry pasted in various sizes is more striking, or the obviously-not-matched-with-it fridge

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

and you thought my chair was bad :colbert:

still on the chair btw

good chair

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Goober Peas posted:

Check this time capsule out.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2973-Duke-of-Windsor_East-Point_GA_30344_M50268-85869

We now know where Cookie Monster was born. And Elmo too.

In all seriousness, I love this house and would love to modernize it while keeping touches of that era. The cabinetry and doors would cost a fortune to get comparable 'modern' replacements for. The kitchen carpet has to go though.

edit: Rowlf. One of the guest rooms carpet is his color. It's a Muppet fur house.

Why would you replace the cabinets at all if they aren't in bad condition; they're probably solid wood and the door design is a vintage touch worth holding onto. New floors and counters would go a long way towards updating the space while keeping the 70's character. I bet there are some gorgeous hardwoods under all that carpet.

This is close enough to me to make me curious about the financials.

One smart person "what if we don't ask for over 400,000 dollars when houses of a similar size are going for half as much in this area?"
The idiot with more say "Nonsense. It's a custom, one-of-a-kind home!"

there wolf fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 19, 2019

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
That lampshade with the wallpaper pattern sideways on it tho. (pic 8)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Holy cow the lampshade in photo 8. I want to live there.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
You could easily have just the doors replaced on those cabinets. Not cheap, but cheaper than a complete gut.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I wouldn't change a thing about that house.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yo beetmysteryj is this you?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Youth Decay posted:

I wouldn't change a thing about that house.

Well yeah, it would take like a year just to remove all of that hideous wallpaper

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

You could easily have just the doors replaced on those cabinets. Not cheap, but cheaper than a complete gut.

Even painting the cabinets and doors would be an improvement over that clutter and I never recommend painting hardwood doors. Those are probably cherry, to boot.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Toilet tax: keeping the original woodwork

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

there wolf posted:

Toilet tax

Post the toilet, coward!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

Post the toilet, coward!

How about some very menstrual wallpaper?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Bad Munki posted:

buckle in for power-making GBS threads

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

The owner just has a very specific blumpkin/road-head fetish.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Nosre posted:

I can't decide whether the identical cabinetry pasted in various sizes is more striking, or the obviously-not-matched-with-it fridge

I don't know if it's striking. I only know that it is harming my brain

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Faustian Bargain posted:

The owner just has a very specific blumpkin/road-head fetish.

I was thinking "really bad bowel disorder and a good sense of humor"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

there wolf posted:

this sucks

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

there wolf posted:

That looks very Terry Gilliam.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

if you don't need at least a 5-point harness get out of IBS club

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

there wolf posted:

Seems like a fire hazard

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bad Munki posted:

Insufficiently secure for the :females:.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

Insufficiently secure for the :females:.

Yeah, looks like it able to be undone by the user. I don't see any pad locks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My Lovely Horse posted:

if you don't need at least a 5-point harness get out of IBS club

G-forces, in this case, being "gastrointestinal forces"

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

there wolf posted:

It's a period piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

It's a period piece

:discourse: