Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Original text: "That Coyote gently caress mucked about time and causality is borked as a result."
Translation: "Oh, you've been shifted."

Though I will laugh if the following page is "...and that's easily fixed!", snap ethereal fingers, and both Annies get merged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

KAT: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Reality has a pretty resilient SELinux profile.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

ronya posted:

my god, it's Ether Office Assistant

Looks like you're trying to do a soul transfer.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ronya posted:

my god, it's Ether Office Assistant
I see you are trying to transfer a soul between two bodies.

Would you like help to:

-Read the documentation on soul transfer rights and responsibilities
-Continue the transfer and accept all outcomes

e;fb

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

One idea I had is that the court owns Arthur so no one involved here has the authority to transfer him.

:tinfoil: Kat is the owner of all robot souls and is forbidden to transfer them to the owner of organic souls.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So does shifted mean one younger Annie will "catch up" to the older one and just disappear one day?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Scaramouche posted:

So does shifted mean one younger Annie will "catch up" to the older one and just disappear one day?

She's shifted back 6 months, it's like a function, she won't catch up and shouldn't disappear. She'll always just be physically 6 months back until they get merged if that happens. This does serve as a second opinion of sorts to confirm that it's time shenanigans and not some other charade.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Is this where Kat achieves CHIM?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

at this point, wouldn't it be kind of awful to merge them?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

at this point, wouldn't it be kind of awful to merge them?

I dunno, you'd probably have to ask them. If they retained all their memories it wouldn't be like one disappeared, they're the same person. They wouldn't have to share stuff anymore, on the other hand they couldn't do team up stuff like they did with that ashtray.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I hope Annie doesn't lose her cool sister so quickly :saddowns:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bremma posted:

Pretty sure more detail will come but remember when Kat returned ownership of Renard to Annie and used technology? Guessing she adapted the tech to do this soul transfer.

My programmer side bets Kat somehow accidentally hard-coded something that was meant to be a variable and missed it. Not like she'd have a lot of things to test the tech on and production is where you always find the bugs

kat literally copypasta'd code from etheroverflow and is about to run into the consequences of poo poo documentation

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really can't see a way to resolve the two-Annies thing in a manner that's satisfactory. I'm sure Tom will figure it out because he is a smart cookie, but if/when the time comes for one of them to go it's gonna be pretty dire trying to make it not seem wholly unfair to the one that goes.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
So the New Contract is between Kat and the robots she transfers. Covenant, if you will.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

So the New Contract is between Kat and the robots she transfers. Covenant, if you will.

*after Rey gets a new body*

Robot: Behold, the Ark!

*lifts a stuffy dog in the air*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kat just scrolled to the bottom of the EULA (Ether User License Agreement) without reading.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
You Wouldn't Download An Annie

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Maybe not but Loup Copied That Stroppy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

I really can't see a way to resolve the two-Annies thing in a manner that's satisfactory. I'm sure Tom will figure it out because he is a smart cookie, but if/when the time comes for one of them to go it's gonna be pretty dire trying to make it not seem wholly unfair to the one that goes.

Have you heard of something called the Clone Saga.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

maswastaken posted:

Loup just remembered Coyote's wise words: Be kind, rewind.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CJacobs posted:

"Haha there, I solved your two Annie problem!"
"Loup, four Annies is not a solution!"

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

maswastaken posted:

gently caress this was good.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Lurdiak posted:

Have you heard of something called the Clone Saga.

that was the jackal, not coyote

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Haha there, I solved your two Annie problem!"
"Loup, four Annies is not a solution!"

"Oops, sorry. One of the Annies is now a goose. Hahahaha!" and so begins the arc of goose annie and her quest for etheric white bread

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ether's harmonic simultaneous four-clone Anniecube

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Imagine four Annies on the edge of a cliff. Shifting works the same way.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

Imagine four Annies on the edge of the divide. Say a shifted copy of the Annie nearest the divide is sent to the back of the line of Annies and takes the place of the first Annie. The formerly first Annie becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth turns into a goose.

Loup works the same way.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
If they release Rey from the contract in order to be able to use the same 'mechanism' to be able to shift Arthur... Isn't Rey's ability to snatch bodies originally a part of Coyote, too?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lunar Suite posted:

If they release Rey from the contract in order to be able to use the same 'mechanism' to be able to shift Arthur... Isn't Rey's ability to snatch bodies originally a part of Coyote, too?

Yes and Loup wants it back too https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2034

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You could solve it pretty easily by wiping the younger Annie's memory and sending her back in time six months to meet Loup.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Easy there, Prof. X

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

You could solve it pretty easily by wiping the younger Annie's memory and sending her back in time six months to meet Loup.

This could backfire and leave you with three Annies, but I don't see a problem with that any more than with two Annies. What's this about solving Annie? It's fine, there's just more of her now. That's fine.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
New strip. I wonder if the interpreter, when it says 'new creature' it means a new, completely unprecedented creature. It probably means a new owner, but the potential double meaning is great.

The fact that it acknowledges Arthur as a creature, not a machine, is also a big deal, I think.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
This can't be more than the second or third time ever we've seen Kat make a mistake.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
This is the point where you realise you have no idea what you're doing or how you got here and start clicking on every "cancel' and" back" button you can find.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is going to be the science fair scene all over again.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Nope, that soul trapping arrow thing doesn't ring a bell. Never seen it before. It was definitely not used to trap a murderghost and we certainly didn't liberate such a thing. Please stop asking questions.

At least now it's certain that she used the Reynard transfer data to make the Arthur transfer machine. And she probably made a nice blend with the soul arrow.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Lol, oops, Kat copy/pasted some code that's more specific than she expected.

She disassembled the "contract of ownership moving from one person to another" data she snagged earlier, used part of that code in her software for generically transferring personal traits, but overlooked some hard-coded stuff about that contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
cant help but feel like this story would be generally more interesting sometimes if bureaucrats didnt constantly step in to prevent conflicts